• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

jwk94

I think one of the main things that pissed me off this season is that almost the entire thing was a bunch of two-parters that had no business being two parts. Then you have the most interesting episode of the season (the one before Clara's death) that ends on an ambiguous note. THAT deserved a second part, not the Zygon Invasion or the GoT chick's episode.

Pluto

At least we will get the spin-off series in some of the time off from the main show.
uhm ... yay?

This marathon made me realize how much I hate Doctor Who now. This is a show I used to love so so much, and now I hate it.
I'm in a similar situation except I don't hate it, I just don't care anymore. I kinda liked the first two episodes of this season, Michelle Gomez is good but then I forgot about it and suddenly the season's almost over.
I read Clara died, so I watched it and ... meh, that's all I have to say. I feel nothing, I honestly couldn't care less if she comes back or not.

I'll watch the christmas special because I still like River (despite Moffat doing his best to make me dislike her) but after that I'm not sure if I'll be back.

sobaka770

Banned
So the goalposts have moved from "they didn't mention Danny at all" to "they didn't mention Danny hard enough." Okay.

Also, hasn't it been decades for Clara since Danny died? I know her being old woman ended up being a dream in Last Christmas, but did she still experience those 60ish years?

All I'm saying that it's weird to mention a person's full name in this context with non-chalant delivery. Especially if the two people were close.

If we are to believe that Clara was affected by his death (this whole becominh more reckless line), then she definitely couldn't have forgotten him. My idea is that if she just said "Danny", the writers were scared we wouldn't remember who that was, because his character was just so forgettable.

More River in Christian special? While I loved her first introduction in the library, the more I keep seeing her, the more this relationship and her character become absurd. Once again she ends up being this superhuman character who is not very relatable and her "wife" relationship with the Doctor is not different from being a companion, whom she should've been instead. There was no reason for Doctor to love her really.

hamchan

Bring back Captain Jack instead of River Song already. If we're gonna have a romantic comedy adventure I'd rather see Captain Jack react to an old Doctor.

Finished two Eighth Doctor Big Finish stories today. Loved Storm Warning, but Sword of Orion was a pretty typical Cyberman story. The Android and mutiny bits were possibly interesting but underwhelming.

Now I've got to figure out how to justify dropping $150 or so to buy everything else 8 in the main range...

Sword of Orion is rather average. I liked it a lot more on first listen as I was still fairly new to Who. Just a warning, Stones of Venice is great. Minuet in Hell is pretty bad, but if you like Brig and cheesy as hell stories that make no sense, it's listenable some people LOVE it though. I think there is a list of all of them in the thread I linked.

The second year of the Eighth Doctor main range is pretty much amazing through and through. And up through Zagraues they are really cheap.

Khaz

Hey, I didn't get why Ashildr could remove the numbers from Rigsy but not from Clara? it felt really forced, like "this is the plot, deal with it."

Hey, I didn't get why Ashildr could remove the numbers from Rigsy but not from Clara? it felt really forced, like "this is the plot, deal with it."

Ashildr made a deal with the shade to be able to remove it from Rigsy.
Clara and Rigsy made their own deal which didn't involve Ashildr, hence Ashildr could not remove it.

8D_01_FP_JP%2Bby%2BSImon%2BMyers.jpg

Titan have released three special variant covers from the upcoming Doctor Who comics featuring The Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) and The Twelfth Doctor (Peter Capaldi) - click on the images above and check out the details below. All these 'Album Variants' are by artists Simon Myers.

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2015/11/doctor-who-comic-covers-inspired-by.html

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am truly flummoxed at how many people dislike Clara. I don't get the comments that she's had no character development and was just a flat cutout. Surely way better than Martha who just seemed wasted.

That first one is adorable though.

the inevitable break-up no doubt features someone strapped to the hull as an exploding spaceship, because reference. Reading up on that was fun, thanks Bobby!

I'm a little late the the funeral, just got to the episode.

Ah, a decent enough exit. My only real complaint was the overlong speechifying while the timer counted down.

I really like the rift this causes with Ashildr and the Doctor, and I like the place it puts him. I'm really looking forward to the next two episodes.

sobaka770

Banned
I am truly flummoxed at how many people dislike Clara. I don't get the comments that she's had no character development and was just a flat cutout. Surely way better than Martha who just seemed wasted.

Martha was military. She was opinionated. It may not be the best characterisation, but it's something consistent about her. Clara is... pretty?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

I think it's unfair, and I'd like to see this ambition with a companion again. Just not derailed by how she was introduced, and then derailed again by her staying. I don't think you'd be seeing these criticisms resurface so much if she'd bowed out as Old Clara.

Face The Raven showed how well she could be written following the template of series 8, and how much it brought to the table with Capaldi having these things to work with.

It's not Clara's fault no one else bothered.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's a shame Rigsy had to settle down to help make this story work in a way.

The fatherly aspect of the Doctor taking him under his wing, and giving the graffiti artist his place and purpose which was there in Flatline, would have been a great angle to go down as a companion.

mclem

It's a shame Rigsy had to settle down to help make this story work in a way.

The fatherly aspect of the Doctor taking him under his wing, and giving the graffiti artist his place and purpose which was there in Flatline, would have been a great angle to go down as a companion.

It'd also create a nice synchronicity with the fact that every full-fledged companion actor from Martha onwards had appeared briefly before they became a companion.

I've a nagging feeling that the last quotes on the subject from Moff have suggested that the next one will be completely new, though. Although things can change.

I wonder if they've cast the next companion yet? Always a possibility we'll see the person who will fill that role in the next two.

Ophelion

So, a friend of mine decided she wanted to start a Doctor Who podcast and invited me to co-host it with her. This prompted me to start NuWho over from Rose last night. Is it weird that I like that episode more when examining it as, for lack of a better word, a critic than I ever did as a fan? It's super well structured even if Autons are, were and always will be kind of stupid enemies. And I still dislike Rose and all of her even more irritating hangers-on.

I really like the kind of jaunty way the Ninth Doctor tries to blow Rose off early on. In a lot of ways, he's just as blunt and rude as the Twelfth Doctor, but he masks it a little with a blatantly faux cheeriness and when that doesn't work, deflects with dumb jokes.

I like that the phrase "The Time War" is never uttered in the first episode. The Doctor mentions more than once that there was a great and terrible war and the tells the Nestine that he tried to save their world, but couldn't save anyone's world. That's really compelling for some reason. I honestly can't remember what I was thinking when I was watching all this when it was new, but I feel like if this was new now, I'd be very intrigued by the breadcrumbs dropped in this episode. It all rolls out at a pretty good pace.

Anyway, yeah. I still don't like the enemies especially or the overall tone struck or any of the supporting chracters, but it's very well structured, very well plotted and despite all my misgivings, if I was watching this without any knowledge about the series, I think it's probably good enough I would've checked out more. Probably.

So, a friend of mine decided she wanted to start a Doctor Who podcast and invited me to co-host it with her. This prompted me to start NuWho over from Rose last night. Is it weird that I like that episode more when examining it as, for lack of a better word, a critic than I ever did as a fan? It's super well structured even if Autons are, were and always will be kind of stupid enemies. And I still dislike Rose and all of her even more irritating hangers-on.

I really like the kind of jaunty way the Ninth Doctor tries to blow Rose off early on. In a lot of ways, he's just as blunt and rude as the Twelfth Doctor, but he masks it a little with a blatantly faux cheeriness and when that doesn't work, deflects with dumb jokes.

I like that the phrase "The Time War" is never uttered in the first episode. The Doctor mentions more than once that there was a great and terrible war and the tells the Nestine that he tried to save their world, but couldn't save anyone's world. That's really compelling for some reason. I honestly can't remember what I was thinking when I was watching all this when it was new, but I feel like if this was new now, I'd be very intrigued by the breadcrumbs dropped in this episode. It all rolls out at a pretty good pace.

Anyway, yeah. I still don't like the enemies especially or the overall tone struck or any of the supporting chracters, but it's very well structured, very well plotted and despite all my misgivings, if I was watching this without any knowledge about the series, I think it's probably good enough I would've checked out more. Probably.

This was my second episode of Who ever, after the 50th Ann. special. It definitely hooked me, even if I never really cared about Rose at all.

I like how the time war was initially handled. It's gradually built up more and more over the earlier episodes, but we don't really get the full picture until Dalek.

thefil

Finished Stones of Venice on the way to work today. @bishopcruz was right, great episode. One thing I adore about old style Who is how the Doctor and his companion get intermingled in and influence events, but are not the sole driving force. Venice is a great 4-way conflict between the Duke, the Duchess, the cult and the underclass that the Doctor kind of dances through offering the occasional prompt. He doesn't come up with a timey-wimey technobabble solution to the death of Venice, but instead just reveals some information he's pieced together. It's up to the players to resolve the situation.

Also, you could never do this episode in 60-minute television format. So many moving parts!

*edit* Trepidatiously anticipating Minuet in Hell on the way home today

Ophelion

Finished Stones of Venice on the way to work today. @bishopcruz was right, great episode. One thing I adore about old style Who is how the Doctor and his companion get intermingled in and influence events, but are not the sole driving force. Venice is a great 4-way conflict between the Duke, the Duchess, the cult and the underclass that the Doctor kind of dances through offering the occasional prompt. He doesn't come up with a timey-wimey technobabble solution to the death of Venice, but instead just reveals some information he's pieced together. It's up to the players to resolve the situation.

Also, you could never do this episode in 60-minute television format. So many moving parts!

Stones of Venice is great. Coincidentally, I also listened to this last night (before and after Rose. I kinda forgot I was supposed to bone up for the podcast, so I had to interrupt my 8th Doctor adventure to spend some required time with the 9th.) Just the way the Doctor talks about Venice is so beautiful. The Eighth Doctor has the heart of a poet and it really shows in that story.

One thing it made me think of also is that something that's been missing from the modern show is providing companions with a certain degree of self-motivated drive. Charlie gets embroiled in the whole Duke/Duchess thing because, as they express in the cold open, she has a particular interest in, for lack of a better way of saying it, supporting the proletariat in whatever place she and the Doctor find themselves. That kind of universal philosophical drive in a companion seems like it would be invaluable because it gives writers an in to explain why the companion might wander off as they are wont to do other than the common kidnapping and/or ye olde "distracted by a shiny while the Doctor walks away". Plus, it makes companions seem more like people rather than just an attendant for the Doctor who asks the questions.

Oh and Minuet in Hell is fucking harrowing as I recall. Get ready for that...

I like how the time war was initially handled. It's gradually built up more and more over the earlier episodes, but we don't really get the full picture until Dalek.

It makes me wonder if the show today could even get away with such a gradual reveal. I feel like we've all grown so impatient with the show through all the passing years that if Moffat tried to tease something out like this, we'd all be frothing at the mouth just shouting, "Just explain it to me, already!"

I probably made it sound worse than it is, it's just really weird, but I like that about Big Finish, they go places that modern Who just won't and generally aren't scared about doing the weird and surreal.

I'm glad you liked stones of Venice, I listened to that one again last year, on a flight FROM Venice. So that was kinda surreal.

Ozium

If I was editing the show or a co-writer or something I would have had Ashildr's plan to be to get the Doctor there etc, but t the same time the way she would remove the curse is by taking it herself. And it was all a scheme to 1. get revenge on the Doctor for making her live this way and 2. She had finally found a way to truly die.

Of course this would have made her character more sinister but I feel they were starting to go with that anyways...

Ironically I think you can probably apply a lot of this review's comments to the whole of the RTD era, really

Big Nikus

Ironically I think you can probably apply a lot of this review's comments to the whole of the RTD era, really

Yeah, I re-watched the episodes with the Slitheens yesterday, and it applies as well.
"We're a farting aliens family, and we've come on Earth to fart in the Prime Minister's office".
I thought it would be terrible, but to my great surprise, I was hooked from the beginning to the end.
I laughed just thinking about Capaldi in the same situation as Eccleston.

- Excuse me, do you mind not farting while I'm saving the world ?
- Would you rather silent but deadly ?

This is a real dialog from Doctor Who.

Yeah, I re-watched the episodes with the Slitheens yesterday, and it applies as well.
"We're a farting aliens family, and we've come on Earth to fart in the Prime Minister's office".
I thought it would be terrible, but to my great surprise, I was hooked from the beginning to the end.
I laughed just thinking about Capaldi in the same situation as Eccleston.

- Excuse me, do you mind not farting while I'm saving the world ?
- Would you rather silent but deadly ?

This is a real dialog from Doctor Who.

A funny thing about Rose, Aliens of London & World War Three is that they were directed by a guy who just didn't really 'get' what Doctor Who 2005 was going to be, and a lot of the farting ADR and stuff came from him. He basically thought the tone was going to skew more younger than family. A lot of those episodes play like Sarah Jane Adventures later would but with darker scripts, and that's the mistake, really. Like, the fact the Slitheen had an eggy fart smell as a give away and sometimes made fart noises was indeed in the script, but it was the director who played it a lot more for laughs and added in a lot of additional farting after the fact in the edit. You can see this in Boom Town, later, where one is played with that stuff toned right back. A lot of people think that's because of a backlash to AOL/WW3, but Boom Town was in the can long before those episodes aired; it was just delivered closer to how it was scripted.

Same sort of thing for, say, when Mickey is 'eaten' by the bin in 'Rose' - the way that's scripted, if you read the script, is for it to be relatively harrowing/nasty, it's meant to be scary for kids. But the director shot it in a relatively flat way, directed Clarke to play it slapstick (there's also Mickey dancing for no reason in the opening montage; you might notice the portrayal of Mickey later on and then in Series 2 is very different and more grounded) and even added the bin burping, which was not a scripted moment at all. Direction can do a lot to a script.

That Director is also the one who had screaming rows on set with Eccleston and all that, so, welp, yeah. He's the only one from Series 1 who never ever returned to the show, as well. RTD later expressed regret on a DVD commentary he hadn't spoken up more about the amount of the farting and the way it was being played, but obviously it was their very first edits and everybody was finding their footing.

I still actually think on paper Aliens of London/World War Three is the best 'Earth Invasion' story they've done since 2005. Incredibly tight scripts - the execution is just lacking.

Big Nikus

A funny thing about Rose, Aliens of London & World War Three is that they were directed by a guy who just didn't really 'get' what Doctor Who 2005 was going to be, and a lot of the farting ADR and stuff came from him. He basically thought the tone was going to skew more younger than family. A lot of those episodes play like Sarah Jane Adventures later would but with darker scripts, and that's the mistake, really. Like, the fact the Slitheen had an eggy fart smell as a give away and sometimes made fart noises was indeed in the script, but it was the director who played it a lot more for laughs and added in a lot of additional farting after the fact in the edit. You can see this in Boom Town, later, where one is played with that stuff toned right back. A lot of people think that's because of a backlash to AOL/WW3, but Boom Town was in the can long before those episodes aired; it was just delivered closer to how it was scripted.

Same sort of thing for, say, when Mickey is 'eaten' by the bin in 'Rose' - the way that's scripted, if you read the script, is for it to be relatively harrowing/nasty, it's meant to be scary for kids. But the director shot it in a relatively flat way, directed Clarke to play it slapstick (there's also Mickey dancing for no reason in the opening montage; you might notice the portrayal of Mickey later on and then in Series 2 is very different and more grounded) and even added the bin burping, which was not a scripted moment at all. Direction can do a lot to a script.

That Director is also the one who had screaming rows on set with Eccleston and all that, so, welp, yeah. He's the only one from Series 1 who never ever returned to the show, as well. RTD later expressed regret on a DVD commentary he hadn't spoken up more about the amount of the farting and the way it was being played, but obviously it was their very first edits and everybody was finding their footing.

I still actually think on paper Aliens of London/World War Three is the best 'Earth Invasion' story they've done since 2005. Incredibly tight scripts - the execution is just lacking.

That's interesting, I didn't know about this stuff. It throws a different light on the first season (though I've always liked it, and I love Eccleston in the role). Damn this director :(

As Ophelion said, I think the first season still holds up, the episodes are very well paced and they deliver just enough information about the Doctor to intrigue viewers and give him a mysterious aura in spite of all the goofyness.

I would have loved to see Eccleston come back for the 50th anniversary, but it seems he had his reasons.
There's a recent interview in which Moffat talks about the nightmare that was the preparation of the 50th anniversary episode. Some "fans" are just psychos... I can't imagine the amount of stress he must have gone through.

We had to work out what else to do. At that point neither David nor Matt were under contract either. I had Jenna [Coleman]. And I did come up with a plotline that was just Jenna. It was a nightmare. We’re weeks from filming. A production team is assembled, people are doing storyboards and I don’t even know if anyone who has ever played the Doctor is going to be in it.

And meanwhile the entire internet is finding my email and sending me the most hideous death threats. Because I haven’t got William Hartnell back! And I’m thinking, “Well, one: he hasn’t answered the phone. I don’t know why...” But never mind him – I’m not sure if David and Matt are doing it either. I’m crouched in the corner of my office wondering, “What the f*** am I going to do!”

More here

Why does Clara look like Michael Jackson?

I assume she's supposed to look like Debbie Harry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_Lines

The reference is a bit obscure, though. I only remember the third Blondie album because I'm ancient. As an album it's a classic with some of the best pop writing of the era, though I confess I have always found the huge hit single, Heart of Glass, so dull as to be unworthy to stand with the rest of Blondie's work. They're still among my favourite groups.

Top Bottom