• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Not

Banned
They Hybrid has been the story arc this season, a hybrid has been mentioned in most of the episodes.

Damn, I should pay better attention. I guess there's so much stuff going on in each one it's easy to miss recurring threads.

mr-paul

If we're not getting the next series til early 2017, that coincides with The Voice moving to ITV, so Doctor Who can move into its earlier timeslot of 6:30/7 rather than the post-8 showings we've had this year. Might lead to a slight upturn in the ratings too.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I've got this hideous feeling tonight's episode is going to end up disappointing me like "The Wedding of River Song"

PaulloDEC

What is Big Finish?

I'm too slack to write something myself, so:

Wikipedia said:
Big Finish Productions is a British company that produces books and audio plays (released straight to compact disc and for download in mp3 format) based, primarily, on cult British science fiction properties. They are best known for their Doctor Who line; other properties include the characters Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog from 2000 AD, Dark Shadows, Sapphire & Steel, Stargate, Blake's 7 and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes character.

They've been making Doctor Who audio dramas starring original cast members for something like 15 years now.

hamchan

What is Big Finish?

They're a company that have been making Doctor Who Audio Dramas for a very long time, featuring all the old Doctors. Their stories are well produced, often with good writing that can rival the best of the TV series.

2016 is a big year for them because they now have the license to do all the post 2005 Doctor Who. So they've signed David Tennant, Catherine Tate, John Hurt and Alex Kingston and now we have new audios next year for all their respective characters.

Boem

Finale poster:

CVd9mOeWUAAZHFZ.jpg

Of all the RTD plots he could rewrite I'd be quite glad of a "The Rose lives happily ever after with her own personal home-grown Doctor" retcon.

Just to see fans of that era cry. A
nd also the horrible loose end tying of course

Got and built the Lego set this morning - it's a lovely, lovely set. There's really a surprising amount of detail, like lights that are half-covered-up in the upper part of the TARDIS console that they still put in even though from the average perspective you'd never see them.

The fact that they shipped this with two 11th Doctor costumes, technically (The Capaldi Minifigure is him in 11's clothes from regeneration) is a tad cheeky, I have to say.. especially since there's an ad in the instruction booklet quite prominently pointing out that the way to get a figure with his proper costume (or indeed Missy, a Cyberman, K9 etc) is to buy the Lego Dimensions set.

I really hope they do more, anyway. The natural continuation from here would be a Coral era TARDIS with 9th/10th minifigures and Rose, to keep the same sort of format.

Oh god it's going to be a bloody pun "No, you see, it was never a question, it's Who is the Hybrid. Doctor. Who."

In good news the missus has got me the Lego set for Christmas, and she's getting the Lego Dimensions including Who. Excellent.

Got and built the Lego set this morning - it's a lovely, lovely set. There's really a surprising amount of detail, like lights that are half-covered-up in the upper part of the TARDIS console that they still put in even though from the average perspective you'd never see them.

The fact that they shipped this with two 11th Doctor costumes, technically (The Capaldi Minifigure is him in 11's clothes from regeneration) is a tad cheeky, I have to say.. especially since there's an ad in the instruction booklet quite prominently pointing out that the way to get a figure with his proper costume (or indeed Missy, a Cyberman, K9 etc) is to buy the Lego Dimensions set.

I really hope they do more, anyway. The natural continuation from here would be a Coral era TARDIS with 9th/10th minifigures and Rose, to keep the same sort of format.

I still can't justify Dimensions :( Even with the base game dropping to around £59 in certain places, the core + Doctor Who would still be around £90. Too much. I do fancy getting the DW set, because again even if that's £50 it seems to be slightly more bang for buck.

I still can't justify Dimensions :( Even with the base game dropping to around £59 in certain places, the core + Doctor Who would still be around £90. Too much. I do fancy getting the DW set, because again even if that's £50 it seems to be slightly more bang for buck.

I actually generally think Dimensions is well priced - there's a lot more breadth and variety to its content than Infinity or Skylanders, really. I think the cheekier thing is slipping an ad in this set saying that if you want the Doctor to wear his proper clothes or a figure of the Master or a Cyberman the ONLY way to get them is in the Dimensions pack, which are alright price if you play dimensions but if you don't are hideously expensive.

Fireblend

Banned
Oh god it's going to be a bloody pun "No, you see, it was never a question, it's Who is the Hybrid. Doctor. Who."

In good news the missus has got me the Lego set for Christmas, and she's getting the Lego Dimensions including Who. Excellent.

I hope there's a Who's on first-style bit in this episode.

"Who's the hybrid, Doctor?"
"Me"
"You?"
"No, Me"
"Who?"
"Yes, that's me"
"You're the hybrid?"
"No, I'm who"
"So you admit it!"
"No, you asked me who the hybrid is, and I told you"
"It's you?"
"No, I told you it's Me!"

:p

I'm really looking forward to this finale.

Not looking forward to the frustrating arguments sure to spin out of the long, looooong wait we're going to be stuck in because they can't somehow manage to keep this 13 episode show on a steady production schedule, and haven't been able to for almost a decade now.

I'm really looking forward to this finale.

Not looking forward to the frustrating arguments sure to spin out of the long, looooong wait we're going to be stuck in because they can't somehow manage to keep this 13 episode show on a steady production schedule, and haven't been able to for almost a decade now.

Even though Strictly Come Dancing has been on consistently for YEARS. I know it's not the same thing, at all, in any way, whatsoever, but fuck logic, IT'S AN OUTRAGE GUYS.

I'm really looking forward to the episode too. I'm a little wary of it wrapping everything up in an hour,

What I hope doesn't happen is that Galifrey is lost again at the end of the episode. I think what could potentially occur is a massive shake-up to what Galifrey is. After the Time War, Ten particularly discusses how beautiful it is and what an amazing place it was, i.e. why he's sad about it being gone in the first place, but the stuffy idiot High Council who;

- Started or fuelled the Time War
- Have been massive dicks to the Doctor on various occasions
- Tried to replace Earth with Galifrey

.. don't really stack up to that. This coupled with Moffat stating he's not a fan of the Time Lords showing up in the classic series, and it makes me think The Doctor and whatever/whoever the Hybrid is are staging a revolution. Galifrey will stand in "ruin" in the sense that the Grand Maester/President will lose power.

"I've barely even started."

Boem

I stand by my prediction from a few months ago that the Doctor is still 'lost' at the end of this episode - meaning unable to travel freely or at least preoccupied with a bigger problem, away from earth. After all, the little plot blurb they gave for the Class spinoff mentioned that Earth is unprotected, and given that it will probably be a while before we'll see Doctor Who on our screens again I think it's a very Moffat-y thing to give an in-universe reason to explain the Doctor's absence.

Edit: Forgot about christmas for a second. I guess my theory starts after that one then.

Walshicus

Haven't watched much of this series and thought I'd catch up... but the BBC iPlayer only has bloody audio description version of the Zygon Invasion listed. Can't figure out how to run the normal one.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Maybe an almost-two-year gap will mean Barrowman finally gets a chance to clear his schedule and jazz Doctor Who up again.

Top Bottom