• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

isny

napkin dispenser
Yeah, I didn't see Matt Smith in that trailer at all.

Yeah, the image of 12 putting his hand out was so quick that it made me think it was 11. My bad. I wonder why it's a flashback to 12 putting his hand out...hmm...

Hmm I'm having trouble answering that poll because of the bonus question. Do you mean favourite regeneration sequence/episode or favourite Doctor? The former is much easier for me to answer than the latter...

Veelk

Banned
After JJ, I want to see David Tennant come back as the next The Master.

Oh my god, that would actually be so brilliant. The Doctor stole the face off a random guy he once met, so it's established Doctor replicates looks. Having a former doctor as the enemy of the doctor would be such a trippy experience.

Ophelion

Oh my god, that would actually be so brilliant. The Doctor stole the face off a random guy he once met, so it's established Doctor replicates looks. Having a former doctor as the enemy of the doctor would be such a trippy experience.

It's just the sort of shitty thing the Master would do too: steal one of the Doctor's faces, further smearing his already kind of dodgy reputation throughout all of time and space.

Ashodin

Definitely believe the sonic shades were for the doctor in mourning. Makes sense he gets rid of them (after dealing with Clara's death) for the christmas special.

MrBadger

It is funny how all three of the past modern Doctors have left the role to play a villain, two of which are MCU villains

Also as much as I'm down for more Gomez for a while, Jessica Jones has made me want to see Tennant play the Master too. It'd be such a weird experience.

The premise still sounds pretty bad, but I like the robot design and the alien.

Yes, the Time Lord face-borrowing power was established at least as far back as Romana's rather leisurely regeneration. For her second regeneration she borrows the appearance of Princess Astra, a character played by Lalla Ward in a preceding story.

TheJoRu

Okay, also on her father's.

Unless...

ddQbi.gif

mclem

I think the hybrid might be sprout.

Think about it guys.

"The Hybrid is not a half-Dalek, nothing is half-Dalek. The Daleks would never allow that. The Hybrid, destined to conquer Gallifrey and stand in its ruins... is SPROUT BOY"

My god, it fits. It so fits.

The Time Lords all fart themselves into oblivion.

Can you guys give me more recommendations on episodes to show my gf - she finally got into Dr who with Saturday's episode and im hoping to show her more episodes of that quality. Showed her blink which she loved.

I don't remember it well but I remember the 'are you my mummy' episode being creepy but can't remember if it's good or just gimmicky?

The final episode with the ponds could be great to show her too - and I remmeber loving the girl in the fireplace

Any others would be great

Tregard

Soothsayer
Can you guys give me more recommendations on episodes to show my gf - she finally got into Dr who with Saturday's episode and im hoping to show her more episodes of that quality. Showed her blink which she loved.

I don't remember it well but I remember the 'are you my mummy' episode being creepy but can't remember if it's good or just gimmicky?

The final episode with the ponds could be great to show her too - and I remmeber loving the girl in the fireplace

The Empty Child

Girl In The Fireplace

Midnight

The Girl Who Waited

:)

mclem

Oh, it's good. ("The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances", if you're after the real names.)

While I was liking the reboot prior to that, TEC/TDD was where I started loving it.

(That said, I don't know if she'd find going back to Eccleston jarring. Since she's seen Tennant and Martha, maybe Human Nature/Family of Blood would be a good idea?)

My ultimate recommendation is either to start in 2005 and go forward, or start in 2010 and go forward (and then back to 2005 at the end of Series 7, do the 9th/10th eras or their highlights, then on into the 50th and Capaldi). But if you're looking for individual episodes, here's a few per series that are worth your while. I've done a longer list of 3-4 episodes per series, and then bolded the ones of those I think are absolute must-watches from the Eccleston/Tennant/Smith eras:

• Dalek. Reintroduction of (and still the best episode with) the show's most important foe. Near Future.
  • Father's Day - Nails the show's emotional core of the show. A story anybody can really understand and up there with only Vincent & the Doctor for that imo.
  • The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances - Little bit scary, little bit creepy, Moffat 101.
  • Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways - This is a tough recommendation as the weird big brother/weakest link stuff hasn't aged well, especially if you're not in the UK and don't remember the UK iterations of those shows fondly, but I also still think this is the best finale they've done. Also: It's got a regeneration without any of the excess guff that was tacked onto Smith & Tennant's.
  • Tooth & Claw - One of the best examples of an episode that's just a fun romp, imo.
  • Girl in the Fireplace - Lovely episode, great time bending stuff, a sad one too.
  • The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit - the best 'future space base' story they've done, with great creepy religious oevrtones.
  • Smith & Jones - The best companion introduction story.
  • Gridlock - Just all around a wonderful episode with an incredibly simple concept.
  • Human Nature/The Family of Blood - The best two-parter the show has seen.
  • Blink - Goes without saying, really.
  • The Fires of Pompeii - Best 'historical' episode they've done in the show's modern years.
  • Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead - Mainly for how significant it becomes later, though this is the worst of Moffat's RTD-era stories.
  • Midnight - Dialogue/character-wise for a guest cast probably the best the show has ever been.
  • The Waters of Mars - Different side to the hero, good monster, fun 'down to earth' unglamorous depiction of near-future planet colonization.
  • The Eleventh Hour - The best first story for a Doctor, and really sums up Smith's era right from the word go. Everything he later becomes is in here.
  • Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone - How much did you like Blink? If answer is 'a lot', this becomes must watch.
  • Vampires of Venice - See Tooth and Claw - it's not a 'special' episode, but it's some good self contained fun.
  • Vincent & the Doctor - Amazing, amazing episode.
  • The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang - perilously close to besting Bad Wolf/Parting but JUST falls short.
  • A Christmas Carol - The best Christmas episode, and, well, is almost the season and all..
  • The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon - Just a really good two-parter.
  • The Girl Who Waited - excellent Doctor-light episode that in that respect is imo Blink's equal
  • The God Complex - oft overlooked but genuinely brilliant.

Writing this has helped me to realize that while I find vast swathes of Series 6 actively awful, Series 7 is okay but completely unremarkable to where I have no stand-out recommendations from it, which is an interesting realization. Hmm.

Ashodin

The girl who waited is a fucking amazing romantic episode too. If your girl is in love with you when you watch, it'll hit heart strings. The part where Amy describes how beautiful Rory is to her gets me every time Brehs

Very good list. I'd have nitpicks, but that would be true with any list not my own.

I will say-- Silence in the Library is great on its own, IMHO-- I loved it on first watch. And I disliked Flesh and Stone for muddying what had been a very straightforward monster concept.

Thanks a lot apzonerunner, Mclem and tregard! Great lists! Will post more when I'm at my computer rather than my phone but really wanted to say thanks asap!

She's pretty used to the idea of the Dr and the companions changing which is great because it means I can throw in the real stand out episodes without any worries it will be jarring but it does mean she won't have the loyalty to any particular Dr/ companion which may weaken the impact of some episodes

Some great ideas for episodes to throw on - would people recommend the episode where the Angels send the ponds back in time? I notice it's absent from people's lists but I remember it being a fantastic episode

The girl who waited is a fucking amazing romantic episode too. If your girl is in love with you when you watch, it'll hit heart strings. The part where Amy describes how beautiful Rory is to her gets me every time Brehs
About fucking time after she consistently busted his balls for a series and a half :mad:

Thanks a lot apzonerunner, Mclem and tregard! Great lists! Will post more when I'm at my computer rather than my phone but really wanted to say thanks asap!

She's pretty used to the idea of the Dr and the companions changing which is great because it means I can throw in the real stand out episodes without any worries it will be jarring but it does mean she won't have the loyalty to any particular Dr/ companion which may weaken the impact of some episodes

Some great ideas for episodes to throw on - would people recommend the episode where the Angels send the ponds back in time? I notice it's absent from people's lists but I remember it being a fantastic episode

I'd say that one is great - but really relies on loving them. That's one that'll really benefit from watching in some sort of order.

Slowdive

Banned
Speaking of Murray Gold, one of the teasers for Hell Bent from Digital Spy:

Murray Gold's superb 'The Doctor's Theme ' - also known as 'Bad Wolf Theme' - is back for the first time in years.
:)

Top Bottom