• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Blader

Source for this? Sorry, I'm just now hearing this, and I'm freaking out

S8 and 9 started filming in January for a late August/September premiere. So, a 7 or 8 month turnaround from start of filming to when the first episode airs.

Next year, S10 will start filming in May, to give Moffat and Capaldi some time for other projects. So with that same 7 or 8 month turnaround, the earliest we'd see anything is December -- perfect time for a Christmas special! Which would then leave the 12 episodes of S10 to air in early 2017.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible episode and Clara firmly cements her place as least favourite companion, which her actor didn't deserve given the clear but wasted talent. One of the worst Mary Sues I've ever seen.

Season 9 has been IMO the worst NuWho season by far, and I prefer Moffat as a writer to Davies and have a very good opinion of 5 and 8. Time for new blood, just a shame it will be Gatiss.

Blader

It just occurred to me, and maybe I'm forgetting something obvious, but how was the Doctor telling the story to Clara in the diner if he's forgotten everything about their relationship?

Fireblend

Banned
It just occurred to me, and maybe I'm forgetting something obvious, but how was the Doctor telling the story to Clara in the diner if he's forgotten everything about their relationship?
He's a genius, he filled in the blanks. It was more his feelings and specifics and emotional connection to her that he forgot. He'd probably still recognize Rigsy or remember the events of the 50th anniversary special.

I wonder how they'll handle the rest of the cast. What will the Doctor say when Kate or Osgood ask a out Clara? :p

Razmos

Judging from the things he was saying, he remembers that she exists, and that they travelled together, but when he tries to think of her he draws a blank, he can't remember what she looks like, sounds like, anything about her.

He can essentially see everything AROUND her, but he can't look directly at her, in a sense.

Kinsei

Banned
Waiiiit a minute.

In the Diner Scene, shouldn't Clara have the Chronolock tattoo on the back of her neck?

Yes she should have. Moffat will probably hand wave it by saying Me disguised it somehow since she seems to have whatever powers Moffat can think of.

Goldrush

Thought the Gallifrey part was undercooked, but it did teach me about the Matrix. Knowing that the writers was reusing established lore, it made Missy's plot last series more interesting and the prophet in RTD's finale less random.

Razmos

Yes she should have. Moffat will probably hand wave it by saying Me disguised it somehow since she seems to have whatever powers Moffat can think of.
I actually just watched that bit again and her hairstyle actually covers the back of her neck, so I guess they did put some thought into it.

obin_gam

Waiiiit a minute.

In the Diner Scene, shouldn't Clara have the Chronolock tattoo on the back of her neck?

That is amazing.

While I have no idea of a story reason for its absence, it was probably off to keep the surprise at the end.

The Joker also had brown hair until only one other henchman was left during the bankrobbery.
It's for dramatic purposes and completely intentional.

VAD

I did not expect Rassilon to be this inept and be owned this fast :eek: . I also did not see Clara coming. This finale was surprising in this entirety and it was so good. I cannot wait for the christmas special.

Magwik

Banned
Waiiiit a minute.

I would be more concerned with how Clara manages to get a perfectly working copy of Don't Stop Me Now by Foxes when I still can't even legally purchase it anywhere

I would be more concerned with how Clara manages to get a perfectly working copy of Don't Stop Me Now by Foxes when I still can't even legally purchase it anywhere

Well spotted. The TARDIS probably hoovered up the performance during Mummy on the Orient Express. It didn't have much else to do at the time.

So how did it get into the Diner TARDIS? An exercise for the viewer.

Boem

I thought it was confirmed that we'd get a full season next year? I mean, Moffat and Capaldi confirmed there's a full season. They just didn't know when it would be out.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...will-be-a-full-series-of-doctor-who-next-year

Nah, they said they're going to start shooting a full series next year, not that it will air next year. The timing simply wouldn't work out anyway, they're starting production too late for all of it to air in 2016. Even if you take the comments from Capaldi about wanting some more breathing space between production periods as rumors, there's just no practical way we're getting a full series in 2016.

The 'Class' spinoff will probably air during the period where we'd normally get new Who.

If it eases your mind, I'm fairly certain they can't resist getting Capaldi to do a cameo in Class. Tennant and Smith showed up in Sarah Jane a couple of times, and other actors from the main Who show (probably most notably Martha) showed up in Torchwood. They didn't put the Doctor in Torchwood because they didn't want the younger fans of the main show tuning in, what with all the death, suicide and sex.

To be honest it's the first series finale in a while that I've been completely satisfied. Even Dark Water/Death in Heaven, though it started strong, ended on a really weird note.

It doesn't use Galifrey much, but it doesn't really need to.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Re-watching the diner scene at the end and I'm kind of in awe in how they incorporated the guitar into Capaldi's Doctor.

Guri

Nah, they said they're going to start shooting a full series next year, not that it will air next year. The timing simply wouldn't work out anyway, they're starting production too late for all of it to air in 2016. Even if you take the comments from Capaldi about wanting some more breathing space between production periods as rumors, there's just no practical way we're getting a full series in 2016.

The 'Class' spinoff will probably air during the period where we'd normally get new Who.

So you're thinking half a series? Then why Capaldi says in a tweet video (there's a link at the end of the article I posted here) this is not he was hired for?

Boem

So you're thinking half a series? Then why Capaldi says in a tweet video (there's a link at the end of the article I posted here) this is not he was hired for?

Nah I think they're making a full series, and it'll either air in 2017 completely (with a christmas special in 2016), or half of it will air in 2016 and they'll save the second half for early 2017, after the holidays.

It's simply impossible at this point to get a full set of episodes in 2016. There just isn't enough time.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
But seriously what do we have to do to get more than a dozen episodes every two years

this is bullshit

Guri

Nah I think they're making a full series, and it'll either air in 2017 completely (with a christmas special in 2016), or half of it will air in 2016 and they'll save the second half for early 2017, after the holidays.

It's simply impossible at this point to get a full set of episodes in 2016. There just isn't enough time.

I get what you're saying but it doesn't align with what Capaldi and Moffat are telling us. Moffat says there will be a full season (which denies rumours of a year of specials, like 2009 was). Capaldi denies there will be half of the season in 2016, that this is not what he "was hired for".

This either means that the rumours are false or they are lying, but I really don't see why they would do that.

Quick

Banned

They're still filming for a full series. It would be the matter of releasing it in two parts, like Series 6 and 7. Or we hit a delay for a full run in early-to-mid-2017.

Either way, that's a full series.

There just isn't enough time for a August/September 2016 if they're starting production in May, unless they rush the production. Or if they plan on a split series, in which case, they'd still have a tight schedule.

Did Missy just not happen?

I assume he/she is referring to witnessing an actual regeneration process where a male turns into a female Time Lord.

We didn't see a regeneration for Missy.

Guri

They're still filming for a full series. It would be the matter of releasing it in two parts, like Series 6 and 7. Or we hit a delay for a full run in early-to-mid-2017.

Either way, that's a full series.

There just isn't enough time for a August/September 2016 if they're starting production in May, unless they rush the production. Or if they plan on a split series, in which case, they'd still have a tight schedule.

Oh, OK, so you think that when Lizo asks about half the number of episodes in 2016, he means a short season instead of a full one?

That I understand, but... it sounds ambiguous. I mean, "half the number of episodes" can mean either a short season (like 2009) or half of one (like 2012/2013). To be honest, now I don't know what they are referring to.

Unless of course there's already official confirmation they're starting in May?

Ithil

And yeah, that jumper. Funny I never realised Clara had boobs until Face the Jumper.

Should try her in a nightdress.
tumblr_mm36srWGcg1sn05sno2_250.gif

Quick

Banned
Oh, OK, so you think that when Lizo asks about half the number of episodes in 2016, he means a short season instead of a full one?

That I understand, but... it sounds ambiguous. I mean, "half the number of episodes" can mean either a short season (like 2009) or half of one (like 2012/2013). To be honest, now I don't know what they are referring to.

Unless of course there's already official confirmation they're starting in May?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...will-be-a-full-series-of-doctor-who-next-year

They're "making a full series of 12 episodes, plus a Christmas special." The key word is "making". Moffat didn't say anything about a release just yet. Just to add: "I don’t know when it goes out."

This article states that production begins in May 2016, from Michael Pickwoad (production design).

Ithil

Some people all like "Why all the focus on Clara, I wanted an episode all about the Time Lords".

No you don't. The Time Lords are fuckin boring.
They've been boring longer than everyone in this thread (including me) has been alive. Boring for the 4th Doctor, boring for the 12th Doctor, boring for every Doctor who's had stories featuring these stuffy douches in silly hats.

The idea of the Time Lords (as presented by the 9th, 10th, etc, when they weren't actually around) is interesting on paper. In reality it's stuffy douches in silly hats.
Someone here mentioned the last good Time Lord story was The Deadly Assassin, from 1976.

Guri

They're "making a full series of 12 episodes, plus a Christmas special." The key word is "making". Moffat didn't say anything about a release just yet.

This article states that production begins in May 2016, from Michael Pickwoad (production design).

He actually didn't say that. His interview is here: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/37736/doctor-who-series-10-shooting-to-start-later-than-usual

Direct quotes:

"Well, that won't start until... you know, well into the new year. It doesn't start shooting for a short while. And so, it will be - you know, probably - February, March before we start getting onto the next one."

He also said that his start date could be "a couple of months" prior to shooting, before back-tracking a little and suggesting that such a situation might be "a luxury." These statements have led some websites to speculate that series 10 won't go in front of the cameras until 'May 2016.'

Admittedly, if Pickwoad's design work isn't starting until February or March, Doctor Who series 10 certainly isn't operating on a carbon copy of series 9's schedule. But it's worth noting that Pickwoad didn't say the words 'May' or '2016' at any stage in the interview.

So it can happen like you are believing, but I don't think we should be so sure yet.

There's a few possibilities:

1- Full season in 2016.

2- Season starting with the Christmas special and going back to the old schedule in 2017.

3- Split the season in two parts.

None of them actually confirmed so far. Let's wait and see.

EDIT: Oh, and Capaldi denying half the number of episodes in 2016 may discard the third option there. Meaning either split season or short season. Both fit for that description.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't want more of a focus on the Time Lords, I wanted a companion that was an actual character, rather than someone with no backstory, no real describable personality aside from 'sassy' and 'adventurous' at a stretch, who doesn't magically escape every single plot dilemma ever and get made into a fem-version of the show protagonist at the end after outwitting him. Absolutely ludicrous, make River Song look like a well-written character!

#bringbackDonna

Quick

Banned
Should try her in a nightdress.
tumblr_mm36srWGcg1sn05sno2_250.gif

Ah. Hm. Ha.

If anybody needs me I'll be in the Tardis.

I'd post a picture from Room At The Top (2011), but I can't.

He actually didn't say that. His interview is here: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/37736/doctor-who-series-10-shooting-to-start-later-than-usual

Direct quotes:

"Well, that won't start until... you know, well into the new year. It doesn't start shooting for a short while. And so, it will be - you know, probably - February, March before we start getting onto the next one."

He also said that his start date could be "a couple of months" prior to shooting, before back-tracking a little and suggesting that such a situation might be "a luxury." These statements have led some websites to speculate that series 10 won't go in front of the cameras until 'May 2016.'

Admittedly, if Pickwoad's design work isn't starting until February or March, Doctor Who series 10 certainly isn't operating on a carbon copy of series 9's schedule. But it's worth noting that Pickwoad didn't say the words 'May' or '2016' at any stage in the interview.

So it can happen like you are believing, but I don't think we should be so sure yet.

There's a few possibilities:

1- Full season in 2016.

2- Season starting with the Christmas special and going back to the old schedule in 2017.

3- Split the season in two parts.

None of them actually confirmed so far. Let's wait and see.

EDIT: Oh, and Capaldi denying half the number of episodes in 2016 may discard the third option there. Meaning either split season or short season. Both fit for that description.

In any case, if Series 8 and 9 production is the blueprint, both started filming early in the year (January). If they should be gearing up for a similar timeline next year if they're planning on the usual release of Fall 2016.

Guri

In any case, if Series 8 and 9 production is the blueprint, both started filming early in the year (January). If they should be gearing up for a similar timeline next year if they're planning on the usual release of Fall 2016.

Yeah, I can at least agree it's an unusual schedule and that is leading to so many speculations. Maybe we will get confirmation when they announce the next companion.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Hoping that the next companion isn't a 20-something woman from modern day London. In the words of the War Doctor, no more.

Chariot

"Diggle."

"Oliver, I am switching over to Damian Dahrk, he ensured me that he wasn't five years on a damn island. I am going to shoot you now."

"Okay, but hear me out first."

"No!"

"I actually died on that island, I just was extracted by aliens from the future."

"So what?"

"I am destined to travel back in time to that exact moment of my death, Should I die earlier the universe will break."

"OLIVEEEEEEEEER!"

edit: what do you mean, this isn't Arrow OT?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping that the next companion isn't a 20-something woman from modern day London. In the words of the War Doctor, no more.

Indeed. I really want there to be two companions, because it works so much better when you get dialogue like Amy/Rory or heck even Rose/Mickey (I had a soft spot for Mickey by the end, sue me), and I want at least one of those companions to be from a different historical era.

Ithil

"Diggle."

"Oliver, I am switching over to Damian Dahrk, he ensured me that he wasn't five years on a damn island. I am going to shoot you now."

"Okay, but hear me out first."

"No!"

"I actually died on that island, I just was extracted by aliens from the future."

"So what?"

"I am destined to travel back in time to that exact moment of my death, Should I die earlier the universe will break."

"OLIVEEEEEEEEER!"

edit: what do you mean, this isn't Arrow OT?

"Diggle, I haven't been entirely truthful when I said I spent five years in hell. Truth be told I met a man named the Doctor who had the ability to become someone else (possibly...something, else) and travelled through time and space on many adventures with him. I met your great great great grandfather and played chess with him."

"I hate your guts, Oliver."

Top Bottom