• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

munchie64

I gotta watch more stuff with Jenna Coleman. Something with her as a better character would be a good start (I do like Clara, but you know what I mean). Only other thing I've seen is Xenoblade lol
"Diggle, I haven't been entirely truthful when I said I spent five years in hell. Truth be told I met a man named the Doctor who had the ability to become someone else (possibly...something, else) and travelled through time and space on many adventures with him. I met your great great great grandfather and played chess with him."

"I hate your guts, Oliver."
Holy shit haha

Quick

Banned
I gotta watch more stuff with Jenna Coleman. Something with her as a better character would be a good start (I do like Clara, but you know what I mean). Only other thing I've seen is Xenoblade lol

Jenna Coleman was instrumental to the character of Bucky Barnes in Captain America: The First Avenger. She's pretty much the Peggy to Bucky's Cap.
;)

enhanced-2414-1431628932-8.png

munchie64

Jenna Coleman was instrumental to the character of Bucky Barnes in Captain America: The First Avenger. She's pretty much the Peggy to Bucky's Cap.
;)
Damn, that's the kind of shit I should know but I didn't.

OK only other things are Xenoblade and Captain America.

Blader

Let's Kill Hitler is underrated!

And I'm fully expecting no Who next year except a Christmas special, with a full S10 in early 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if the Class spin-off was commissioned partly to take the sting out of there not being a Who series for next fall.

Kurdel

Banned
Questions I still have after the finale:

1- Since the events of Day of the Doctor, how much time has passed for the Time Lords?

2- If the Doctor can take a Tardis and leave Gallifrey, doesn't that mean the Time Lords can travel too? What would be stopping them?

Ithil

Questions I still have after the finale:

1- Since the events of Day of the Doctor, how much time has passed for the Time Lords?

2- If the Doctor can take a Tardis and leave Gallifrey, doesn't that mean the Time Lords can travel too? What would be stopping them?

Nothing is stopping them, they're not trapped, they're hiding. They don't want anyone to know the Time Lords are still around.

Ade

. I wouldn't be surprised if the Class spin-off was commissioned partly to take the sting out of there not being a Who series for next fall.

I was talking to someone months ago who was trying to convince me "CLASS" was actually a made up pile of crap, and the actually spin off was internally known as "CLARA".

I disregarded that as balls, but the finale made me wonder.... Perhaps we'll get a US/Teen focussed show with Clara and Me in the Diner, as opposed to whatever "CLASS" is actually meant to be?

Jackpot

Banned
I'd post a picture from Room At The Top (2011), but I can't..

Add her and the woman who played Martha to the list of people I didn't know had done nude scenes.

Hoping that the next companion isn't a 20-something woman from modern day London. In the words of the War Doctor, no more.

I'd like to see a male companion or another couple with no hint of romantic interest in the Doctor, like from the very first series.

What a beautiful episode. Crystal clear from beggining to end, and ties any loose ends (I really dodnt understand how some people could say is convulted). What a nice send off to Clara.
This last episode trilogy has been amazing from beggining to end. Probably the stongrst ending Doctor Who has had, dont take me wrong, there are some amazing season finales (and thats one of the aspects I most love about DW), but every one of them you can nitpick somewhere, this, I really cant.

;)

enhanced-2414-1431628932-8.png

I know people usually hate the first Capatain America, but I loved it, its full of old super hero adventure, something you dont see too much with modern heroes.

isny

napkin dispenser
Umm, am I the only one who left disappointed?

I think I may actually be done with the show now...that Christmas episode looks awful and this finale had so much potential but was just terrible.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Umm, am I the only one who left disappointed?

I think I may actually be done with the show now...that Christmas episode looks awful and this finale had so much potential but was just terrible.

I'm not sure I'm done full stop but season 9 has been an incredible let-down to me too. It's so frustrating because Capaldi and Coleman both have so much skill but they aren't being allowed to use it.

tomtom94

Anyone else think Series 9 was a big step up over Series 8? I thought the only weak episodes of Series 9 were the opener, Sleep No More and Heaven Sent I can land either way on (I lean positively). I really liked the 2 parters this season as stories were able to fleshed out more and given the chance to reach their full potential unlike Series 7 and a number of stories in Series 8.

Show's been on a steady rise ever since series 6, every subsequent season / half-season has been better than the last, to the extent I'd put series 9 close to 1 and 4 from the RTD era.

Apdiddy

I was talking to someone months ago who was trying to convince me "CLASS" was actually a made up pile of crap, and the actually spin off was internally known as "CLARA".

I disregarded that as balls, but the finale made me wonder.... Perhaps we'll get a US/Teen focussed show with Clara and Me in the Diner, as opposed to whatever "CLASS" is actually meant to be?

My guess: Me (going again by Ashildr) shows up to Coal Hill school as a 'new student' and takes classes with Clara as a teacher. It'll kinda be a twist on the very first series with the original Doctor -- some of the teachers will ask each other "Where does Ashildr live? Where's her parents?"

Some of the students (like Courtney) go to the 'new diner' (which appears to be an American style eatery in England). One of them discovers the TARDIS controls, pulls a lever...and oops.

Kurdel

Banned
My guess: Me (going again by Ashildr) shows up to Coal Hill school as a 'new student' and takes classes with Clara as a teacher. It'll kinda be a twist on the very first series with the original Doctor -- some of the teachers will ask each other "Where does Ashildr live? Where's her parents?"

Some of the students (like Courtney) go to the 'new diner' (which appears to be an American style eatery in England). One of them discovers the TARDIS controls, pulls a lever...and oops.

... I would watch that show.

isny

napkin dispenser
I'm not sure I'm done full stop but season 9 has been an incredible let-down to me too. It's so frustrating because Capaldi and Coleman both have so much skill but they aren't being allowed to use it.

I loved the fact that they found Gallifrey. I love that Rassilon was back regenerated from Dalton's spittle, I loved the cloister bells and the old TARDIS and the callback to the diner and the four knocks and the hut the moment was kept in and the regeneration to a woman. I loved so many moments in the episode, but it was just so anticlimactic. It was such a bore. Clara's story was done, we didn't need to see any more of her.

The Doctor needed to move on from her, and if need be, be angry doctor again for awhile. Maybe be president of Gallifrey and then go to the end of time and find YANA and "Me" just chilling there together. Maybe find Romana on Gallifrey and she tags along with the doc in one of the old TARDIS units.

So many cool things that Mof could have done, and instead we get a deus ex machina and now it's as if Clara didn't exist. It's such a huge handwave and means that all of the progression he's made spending time with Clara has just been thrown out now. We're back to Amy and Rory doc. Why not just bring Matt Smith back?

Also, the question of the hybrid was still left up in the air. Really? Why build up so much to it and joke that him and The Master together could be the hybrid but then just forget about it. Yes, Capaldi says he's become the hybrid and the retcon to his memory will be good, but honestly, that's bad. Why build up to something so big to just memory wipe it? It's just such bad story telling.

Link

The Autumn Wind
In regards to a Clara/Me spinoff, it would have to be very short lived. You're dealing with two characters who don't age. Kinda hard to play that out over several years.

isny

napkin dispenser
In regards to a Clara/Me spinoff, it would have to be very short lived. You're dealing with two characters who don't age. Kinda hard to play that out over several years.

Jack "didn't age" for six years. 2005-2011 (Empty Child to Torchwood Miracle Day)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Jack "didn't age" for six years. 2005-2011 (Empty Child to Torchwood Miracle Day)
No, but John Barrowman was at an age where it wouldn't be obvious. That's not the case with younger actresses, especially Maisie Williams.

isny

napkin dispenser
No, but John Barrowman was at an age where it wouldn't be obvious. That's not the case with younger actresses, especially Maisie Williams.

I didn't realize how young Maisie was. I assumed she was Jenna's age and just looked younger.

Blader

Also, the question of the hybrid was still left up in the air.

No it wasn't. The Hybrid is the Doctor and Clara -- not one person born from two races, but a partnership of two people from two races. A partnership that puts the whole universe at risk.

isny

napkin dispenser
No it wasn't. The Hybrid is the Doctor and Clara -- not one person born from two races, but a partnership of two people from two races. A partnership that puts the whole universe at risk.

That's so stupid and convoluted though. And people will probably praise Mof for it when in fact it could be almost ANYTHING else and it would be cool.

hamchan

I don't really understand why Clara travelling with the Doctor would fracture time and destroy the universe but Clara travelling with Ashildr is OK.

Chariot

A partnership that isn't a hybrid by any definition of the word. Claras clothes were more of an hybrid than her.

OmegaFax

The whole thing with Clara being pulled out of her timestream an instant before her death just seemed like opening a whole big can of worms. There wouldn't be any drama because she more or less has to die at some point at the end of her indefinite detour where she left off. It's not really explained the danger of her traveling around her own TARDIS. For instance, if she does die prematurely, would the universe tear itself apart? ... or would it be a situation where regardless of any dire circumstance, she would somehow not be in danger (like pulling the pin from a grenade, turns out to be a dud ... or fires a full gun of blanks trying to kill herself). I think that the way they sent her off plays off of the Doctor wanting to give Clara hope and thus giving her a worthwhile send off.

Chariot

The whole thing with Clara being pulled out of her timestream an instant before her death just seemed like opening a whole big can of worms. There wouldn't be any drama because she more or less has to die at some point at the end of her indefinite detour where she left off. It's not really explained the danger of her traveling around her own TARDIS. For instance, if she does die prematurely, would the universe tear itself apart? ... or would it be a situation where regardless of any dire circumstance, she would somehow not be in danger (like pulling the pin from a grenade, turns out to be a dud ... or fires a full gun of blanks trying to kill herself). I think that the way they sent her off plays off of the Doctor wanting to give Clara hope and thus giving her a worthwhile send off.
Her death is a fixed point in time. To fullfill it she must return to Gallifrey and be send back. If shedies or Gallifrey is destroyed the universe will break. It's fickle and why the timelords tried to stop the Doctor. Way too dangerous.

Blader

I don't really understand why Clara travelling with the Doctor would fracture time and destroy the universe but Clara travelling with Ashildr is OK.

It's fine as long as Clara returns to the moment of her death at some point -- which, given that the universe will be functioning for the rest of the show's lifespan, she clearly does.

And the danger in the Doctor traveling with Clara is that he was willing to break time and space so he could bring her back to life and keep traveling together.

A partnership that isn't a hybrid by any definition of the word. Claras clothes were more of an hybrid than her.

It's a partnership that's half-human and half-Time Lord.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

I imagine because the Doctor won't let her die, he spent 4 billion years repeatedly punching a wall and didn't really care that much when he found out because he knew he went through it to save her. He wanted to run off again and hide her away somewhere safe, erasing her memory but alive, never to meet her fate, this is what would fracture time.

Clara accepted her fate, and she wasn't willing to endanger the universe to stick around and forget everything because her adventures were too important to her, to live and forget wasn't an option to her. The universe doesn't fracture because she will return to that point again and die, she's just going "the long way round" which leaves her open to popping up again in the future or some side story, but she does in the end die the way we see and will return to face the raven.

hamchan

It's fine as long as Clara returns to the moment of her death at some point -- which, given that the universe will be functioning for the rest of the show's lifespan, she clearly does.

And the danger in the Doctor traveling with Clara is that he was willing to break time and space so he could bring her back to life and keep traveling together.

I imagine because the Doctor won't let her die, he spent 4 billion years repeatedly punching a wall and didn't really care that much when he found out because he knew he went through it to save her. He wanted to run off again and hide her away somewhere safe, erasing her memory but alive, never to meet her fate, this is what would fracture time.

Clara accepted her fate, and she wasn't willing to endanger the universe to stick around and forget everything because her adventures were too important to her, to live and forget wasn't an option to her. The universe doesn't fracture because she will return to that point again and die, she's just going "the long way round" which leaves her open to popping up again in the future or some side story, but she does in the end die the way we see and will return to face the raven.

Honestly then, I think the Doctor was being super foolish. He can now travel with her for a billion years or however long he wants since she doesn't age. She's actually been blessed with a huge gift, immortality with the choice of when to die. It's so weird that the Doctor never considered that. He was the villain in this story.

Salads

Neo Member
Sure Clara, take 'the long way round' to your appointment with keeping the fabric of the universe together. Never mind that you're one trapped ankle / TARDIS misplacement / allergic reaction away from missing it and causing untold devastation. Or that the Doctor isn't around to tell you what is going on or how to survive. I'm sure everything will be fine. Not like yesterday when you managed to manoeuvre yourself into an inescapable death through recklessness despite being in your own time and hometown accompanied by a personal Time Lord guardian with 1000+ years experience of saving people. Who cares that you haven't finished reading your time machine's manual and you're already flying it through space? YOLO.

Chariot

thatsthetwist.jpg
That's a dumb twist because it just used a word and ignored it's meaning. Like your girlfriend calling you, telling you that you're going to be a millionaire. But then when you arruve at home full of antipation she reveals that she is pregnant. You complain and she insists that she meant that you were gling to get rich emotionally, but you recall that shecsaid millionaire and she shurgs and states that millionaires are rich. But it's not the same thing when you use it in that context.

isny

napkin dispenser
Not liking something does not make it horrible.

If I tell you that I'm going to marry you and then on our wedding day I show up naked on a t-rex and say "This is what I meant by marriage, we're going to ride dinosaurs together naked and conquer each and every Taco Bell in the world. What did you think I meant when I said we were getting married?"

That's not a twist, that's someone not understanding the meaning of a word.

Top Bottom