• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Best news <3

The 10th Doctor being a Big Finish Doctor is bananas. And I kinda hope Donna eventually interacts with some other Doctors. Donna and 6 would be beautiful.

Mudcrab

This is where I should start? €3 ain't bad.

It's not the first 8th Doctor audio drama, but it's still an early one and generally considered very good (a personal favorite of mine tbh) and the price isn't bad which is why I recommend it to people who want to test the waters.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Way too unfocused IMO, and the story I found to be incredibly weak personally until the last 25 minutes or so. Series 8 found it's footing quick with the next episode though.
The story is hardly any weaker than any other Doctor regenerates episode: spend the first 20 mins or so on everyone, including the Doctor, coming to grips with his new persona, then spend the last half or so on fixing the issue of the week.

Also the fact that Jenny and Vastra had to mention they were married about 17 times more than necessary (i.e. Once) drives me crazy. That was already well established; no need to harp on it that much, even for new fans.
I don't really see this as harping on the fact but rather a natural extension of their circumstance. They're engaged in a relationship that's strictly taboo on multiple levels for the times they live in so it's no wonder they would have to defend their situation with constant, full-throated reminders that there's really nothing wrong with their love for one another.

Deep Breath:
"Oh wow they're finally doing longer Who episodes again, fantastic"

After watching:
"That needed to be 30 minute shorter"

Fuck Vastra and the Who Tang Clang.

liquidtmd

Banned
"I don't want Moffat to be showrunner for Doctor Who"

(Moffat becomes General Director of the BBC)

Nah brah, he'll just end up showrunning all dramas.

I think he'd be good at Eastenders. Weird shit happens as a cliffhanger followed by business as usual three minutes later all the time there, he'd be a pig in muck

Who Tang Clang.

tumblr_mmagorILvf1ql9ebno1_r2_500.gif

Trike

Fuck yeaaaaah! More 10th is always appreciated. I always assumed it was just a matter of time before they got things worked out. 11th Doctor is an eventuality as well. I think Eccleston would do it in like 10-20 years.

I always tell everyone to start with The Chimes of Midnight.

It is the story that made me love the 8th Doctor. It is a fantastic place to start. Gonna listen to it again soon.

One has to assume at this point that the Big Finish license update that allowed them to put River in the upcoming 8th Doctor story and Weeping Angels/Judoon/Sycorax/new Who style Sontarans in other Classic Doc stories wasn't all that limited and it actually includes everything from the RTD era.

OmegaFax

Minecraft for PS3/PS4/Vita got both Doctor Who skin packs today in a new update. There's a couple freebie ones you don't have to buy ... one of which was a Cyberman, so I'm happy.

One thing I'm curious about, for pondering sake: Will they continue with the current Big Finish formula (multiple episodes per story with cliffhangers aplenty as the old show was), or will they use a New Who pairing to fashion their audio series in the more modern style, with maybe a couple of standalone stories and a two parter per set rather than one big four or five part story?

One thing I'm curious about, for pondering sake: Will they continue with the current Big Finish formula (multiple episodes per story with cliffhangers aplenty as the old show was), or will they use a New Who pairing to fashion their audio series in the more modern style, with maybe a couple of standalone stories and a two parter per set rather than one big four or five part story?

They've done it before, and it seemed to work really well. I can see them going back to that for 10 & Donna, most definitely.

edit: Considering how Dark Eyes played out, I kinda want them to go back to it for Eight, too. (I liked Dark Eyes. But you know that thing Bilbo said about butter and too much bread? That.)

hamchan

The New Who style worked really well for the Eighth Doctor so I can see the latter happening again. It's more appropriate for the more modern fan that will try audio for the first time because of David Tennant.

mclem

Is there a cheap way to listen to the Big Finish stuff? I remember last time I checked it seemed super expensive, like 30$ an episode.

Cheapest way is to catch them on BBC 4 Extra when they crop up on there every so often.

Oooh. And I just checked, and they're doing first-radio-broadcasts of some Davison BF this weekend

Heroes of Sontar

(Downside is that you can't pick-and-choose which you get, of course. I've no idea if this story's any good! It probably means more Davison on the way, though, they did a Baker/Leela run earlier this year)

(BF has also appeared in the Humble Books Bundle in the past; it's concievable that might happen again)

It's worth noting as well that the first 50 releases from Big Finish have been permanently discounted to $3 for a story (two hours each, aside from #50 which is three hours). You're not really ever going to get better than that.

Big Finish also do sales pretty regularly, so if you check out their website often, you'll find a lot of good deals. As long as you don't care about getting the physical CD copies, you can get some stuff for dirt cheap.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Always been meaning to get into the audiobooks, might listen to them at the gym. Do you start with McGann stories and work your way forwards?

Kurdel

Banned
It's worth noting as well that the first 50 releases from Big Finish have been permanently discounted to $3 for a story (two hours each, aside from #50 which is three hours). You're not really ever going to get better than that.

Big Finish also do sales pretty regularly, so if you check out their website often, you'll find a lot of good deals. As long as you don't care about getting the physical CD copies, you can get some stuff for dirt cheap.

Wow thanks! I will keep an eye on this!

Cowlick

Banned
But first
It will be revealed that the Doctor's (or Clara's) actions in the past are the real reason Davros can't walk!

#MoffMan
"Exterminate!"

The Doctor aims his weapon and shoots the hand mines around Davros. He's safe, and runs towards the Doctor. But he missed one -- it grabs Davros by the leg, struggles to pull him under. The Doctor shoots the hand mine, but injures Davros in the process.

Putting money on it.

Magwik

Banned
"Exterminate!"

The Doctor aims his weapon and shoots the hand mines around Davros. He's safe, and runs towards the Doctor. But he missed one -- it grabs Davros by the leg, struggles to pull him under. The Doctor shoots the hand mine, but injures Davros in the process.

Putting money on it.

Sounds like Moffat to me
Now im expecting this

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
*watches Pyramids of Mars on BBC America*
So when's Sutekh coming back?

Never, but the same dude did the voice of the Beast in the Impossible Planet/Satan Pit two parter.

Also there were some audio dramas where he came back. Something about Faction Paradox or whatever, but I don't know how "canon" those are

Watched the season opener.

Moffat continues his writing style of coming up with single sentence cool ideas and then that's it that's what he thinks storytelling is. I can just see his first draft being literally:

*Band mines? Like music starts playing and you have to run because there are band mines No, Hand mines. Like hands come up and grab you and then you blow up.
*REMEMBER: Remember to kill some people for the jerks that say that my stories don't have stakes or consequences.
*A guy is not actually a guy he's just snakes
*All the planes in the air just stop!
*It's the middle ages, but there's a tank.
*Peter can play the guitar, use that.
*"The Doctor is supes going to die" might be a cool line because then people will be hooked.

And then he looks at what he wrote and thinks he has a story there.

Is thinking positively about the low chances you have of survival the actual way to deal with the hand mines?

Why did Missy bother with the planes when just contacting UNIT and saying hi got the Clara meeting she wanted.

Clara walking dramatically towards Missy while Mission Impossible music plays in the background doesn't make your stupid pile of nothing into a cool character.

Why is Moffat's solution to nobody ever dying in his stories to kill characters he introduced two seconds ago. And by "characters" and "introduced" I mean there was some dude in the background for a moment there before Missy blew him up. Remember in last year's finale when the Doctor got on the plane and then that one guy got ripped out the window. The fandom is still super upset about the death. Those 2 million viewers the show lost were all people who were upset that guy didn't come back.

Also why did you bother with snipers if Missy just randomly killing people is not enough of a reason to shoot her.

"The Doctor's final day" doesn't mean anything when he has those twice a day.

When the Daleks are looking for the Doctor, how did he stay hidden for weeks with his friend, the secret Dalek?

Our hero The Doctor, at the end of his life, decides to take a tank into the middle ages for no reason, therefore likely fucking with the timeline in all sorts of horrible ways? Tennant decided to screw with time some more because he felt invincible and realized 15 seconds later that it was a bad idea. And I still have a hard time forgetting Father's Day, where saving one guy was a big no-no, and doing it anyway caused dragons to eat everybody.

And then the Doctor is a prisoner and without his Tardis, but somehow got to time travel again to go and kill young Davros. This would be a fine mystery if I had any faith in it not being the Pandorica loop again.

Top Bottom