• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Thanks for that, yea I saw the Christmas episode so storywise I understand why Tennant is the new Doctor. I'm also happy to hear that the romance angle goes away because...yea it's pretty creepy.

Chariot

She literally killed 2 people in front of her. And then she seems kinda buddy buddy with her when they are on the "space ship"/planet with the somewhat jokes. Only part of episode I found odd.
I guess it's easy to forget with Missy's character, when you can barely take her serious most of the time - in world. Similar to the Tennant-Doctor where you could forget that he was an old, intelligent and powerful being, right until he gets angry.

Dryk

Thanks for that, yea I saw the Christmas episode so storywise I understand why Tennant is the new Doctor. I'm also happy to hear that the romance angle goes away because...yea it's pretty creepy.
It doesn't really go away for a while but he's not into it at all the next few times his companions try to jump him (with sexy results (not really))

That is one of the best who episodes I have ever seen.

They nailed davros perfectly in this one imo
There is certainly a depth to his characterisation here that we haven't seen in a long time

TheJoRu

There is certainly a depth to his characterisation here that we haven't seen in a long time

It wasn't my favourite episode, but both Missy and Davros had some great lines:

Missy said:
Oh, don't be disgusting. We're Time Lords, not animals. Try, nano-brain, to rise above the reproductive frenzy of your noisy little food chain, and contemplate friendship. A friendship older than your civilisation, and infinitely more complex.

Davros said:
See how they play with her. See how they toy. They want her to run. They need her to run. Do you feel their need, Doctor? Their blood is screaming: "Kill, kill, kill!" Hunter and prey, held in the ecstasy of crisis. Is this not life at its purest?

Really powerful, vivid lines. Moffat has his ways with words.

Really powerful, vivid lines. Moffat has his ways with words.

Davros worked well in this episode. That line from Missy might have had a little punch if the whole characterization wasn't completely broken at the moment. Honestly the only line that felt about right to me was the "Guess which of those was a lie" bit, and that was completely throwaway.

Moffat I think is convinced he's nailed a female Delgado with his characterization for the Master, but too much wackiness and possessiveness is ending up in there and it's coming off more as Anthony Ainley with a hard on.

Platy

I am not a fan of Strax, but Vastra and Jenny are awesome !

....but I guess I am the only one who likes them =(

RetroMG

I am not a fan of Strax, but Vastra and Jenny are awesome !

....but I guess I am the only one who likes them =(

I actually love Strax, and I would like Vastra and Jenny...

I suspect two of those three may be married. I dunno if it's ever been mentioned in the show, it's just a hunch. They're really subtle about who's interested in who on this series.

...if it weren't for this. I have absolutely no problem with them as characters, except for the ham-fisted way they bring this up every three seconds. It was funny in Good Man Goes to War. It has not been funny since.

Yeah, Strax is probably my favorite in the Paternoster gang, Jenny least. I like 'em all okay, though I am kinda sick of Victorian England.

Quick

Banned
Well, Eccleston (the previous Doctor) left because he wanted to leave, not because the BBC wanted someone younger/more attractive. Eccleston didn't get on with some people in production. The fact that they got Tennant might have helped them decide to go more fully for that romance storyline though.

And I agree, the idea of the Doctor getting it on with one of his companions (especially one so young) is super creepy to me. Glad they're not doing that anymore. I really dislike the idea of the Doctor travelling with pretty girls in his magic box because he wants to bang them. Not exactly what they were trying to say there, but it did give the series an uncomfortable vibe for a while, especially if you're familiar with the older Doctors. That kind of thing goes away eventually though.

Oh, and if you're unsure why there's someone else playing the Doctor: there's an introduction episode they broadcast during christmas. Some online/retail releases don't include that with the full season for some reason. Something to keep in mind: there's an extra episode between each season. There are also some mini-episodes they make for yearly charity events and youtube and stuff like that, released at random points throughout the series. Nothing super important (except one released before the 50th anniversary special, but that's still a bit ahead of you), but some of them are pretty fun.

If you ever get confused, here's a list of all the regular episodes of each Doctor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials

And here's a list of all the little special mini-episodes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_special_Doctor_Who_episodes

I'll add in and say that the series transitions away from the romantic angle towards more of a friendship with the companions, which is definitely more appropriate.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I'll add in and say that the series transitions away from the romantic angle towards more of a friendship with the companions, which is definitely more appropriate.

That's one dynamic I like with 12 and Clara.

The friendship angle is strong.

That why I liked watching 3 and 4 with Sarah Jane Smith, and 10 and Sarah Jane Smith. Okay, Sarah Jane Smith was just awesome in all her appearances.

Dryk

It's probably my favourite from series 2 as well and it is a great episode. But it doesn't have much competition in that regard. Girl in the Fireplace and School Reunion? Not a very strong field that year.

Especially when you consider its placement in the order

Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel
The Idiot's Lantern
The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
Love and Monsters
Fear Her

Oh man, Satan Pit from series 2 was great!
The music from that episode is also really good

Trike

It was alright. Nothing was offensively bad like some of the things from last series, but I think they made a lot of odd choices for the episode. It was kind of all over the place. It was still pretty enjoyable, but the complaints about constant deaths/Missy are valid. Missy was great in the finale. Missy was good in this episode too, but she shouldn't have been used straight away again.

That being said, everything with young Davros was pretty great. Seeing Skaro was awesome as well, it is so close to how it was in the 60s. Classic Daleks were cool to see as well.

ryan13ts

She literally killed 2 people in front of her. And then she seems kinda buddy buddy with her when they are on the "space ship"/planet with the somewhat jokes. Only part of episode I found odd.

Yeah, I thought that part was SUPER out of place, inappropriate even. She literally murders two people in front of her, one of which she flat out stated had a family with a small baby, and just a few minutes later she's chilling and making jokes with the Master?

Granted, being around the Doctor probably desensitizes you to death and murder, but still.

Walshicus

Yeah, I thought that part was SUPER out of place, inappropriate even. She literally murders two people in front of her, one of which she flat out stated had a family with a small baby, and just a few minutes later she's chilling and making jokes with the Master?

Granted, being around the Doctor probably desensitizes you to death and murder, but still.
That's the problem with Moffat era Who. You get these scenes that just don't feel connected. Missy should have been dead after the first vaporisation, instead she gets chummy chum time with someone whose supposed to be a good person.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That's the problem with Moffat era Who. You get these scenes that just don't feel connected. Missy should have been dead after the first vaporisation, instead she gets chummy chum time with someone whose supposed to be a good person.

It's not any worse than the Doctor crying over the body of a man who killed ten percent of the earth's population just to be an ass, and even after that was undone had still assassinated the elected leader of a country and killed who knows how many people as Saxon.

It's not any worse than the Doctor crying over the body of a man who killed ten percent of the earth's population just to be an ass, and even after that was undone had still assassinated the elected leader of a country and killed who knows how many people as Saxon.

Doc's known the master for over 900 years though and was friends with him at some point.

Htown

Doc's known the master for over 900 years though and was friends with him at some point.

but he was basically always an asshole

the first time the Master is introduced in classic Who, the Doctor is like, "yeah no fuck that guy, I knew him before, he's an ass"

the first time the Master is introduced in classic Who, the Doctor is like, "yeah no fuck that guy, I knew him before, he's an ass"

The plan for that first run was for the Master to save the Doctor in The Final Game, because of their closeness (from memory hinting at them being brothers or something), but Delgado's death nixed that. RTD took elements of that for End of Time just leaving out the brother bit, and Moffat is also using that here.

He was always a douche, but he was the doctor's douche <3

Look at Clara's reaction after Missy mentions Danny. She very clearly makes a conscious choice to engage with Missy, and to not allow her to get to her. I don't read her actions in the rest of the episode as getting pally with her at all, and I suspect the end of the two-parter will bear this out.

Sneds

I agree with this. Moffat is able to write some great scenes but I really wish he'd focus on writing a cohesive story with a beginning, middle, and end that linked together clearly.

Boem

Yeah. There were certainly times - especially between Pertwee and Delgado, because their chemistry was amazing - where they were friendly, but it was half played as a joke. Not unlike moments where James Bond would sit at a dinner table with a big villain (which was obviously a big influence on the Pertwee era). There were also always moment where the Doctor knew what had to be done and wasn't afraid to do something that might kill the Master (but never quite succeeded, obviously, as will always be the case).

Not that the criticism that Clara was too cheery with Missy is wrong, but the fact that the characters in the series (very much including the Doctor) can switch to joking mode very quickly after someone dies has always been there. In the classic series, in the RTD series, and in the Moffat series. Sometimes the drama is allowed to played out, sometimes the deaths (of smaller characters) are played more like they would in an adventure movie like Indiana Jones, or Star Wars, or Marvel movies, or whatever. There's room for both I think - it is a genre show after all. It's not something that suddenly started with Moffat in any case.

Also, people constantly coming in complaining about how Moffat is supposedly ruining the show RTD set up, or how and when Moffat should be replaced, are getting a bit tiring. Not that their opinion is wrong - it is after all an opinion - but it's the same old arguments every time and they make the discussion threads a bit depressing if it happens after every episode. Not saying there shouldn't be criticism at all, but there is such a thing as overdoing it - I think we should all accept the fact that, after 4 years, it's a different show under Moffat than it was under RTD. And it will be a different show again at some point. Otherwise we're just caught in an endless loop of people endlessly hating either RTD or Moffat and arguing about that, which gets in the way of more interesting discussions. We're not on Gallifreybase here. But that's just my opinion, I can't claim I should be making the rules here. I can see plenty of people disagreeing with me on this.

Most of the criticism I see isn't specifically a call for a return to RTD, just tired of Moffatisms. I think that's completely legitimate.

The is a show with a 50-year history, it's OK to want it to be more like some aspect of its past than how it is now.

I don't want RTD back. RTD was a good writer but the resolution to most of his series finales sucked, so I was happy with Moffat taking over initally - because his RTD era plots and structures and resolutions were all so good - but that kinda went out the window when he became showrunner. Astronaut/Day remains the only two parter of his I like in his own era as showrunner. I'd prefer someone new.

Mudcrab

Most of the criticism I see isn't specifically a call for a return to RTD, just tired of Moffatisms. I think that's completely legitimate.

The is a show with a 50-year history, it's OK to want it to be more like some aspect of its past than how it is now.

I don't want RTD back. RTD was a good writer but the resolution to most of his series finales sucked, so I was happy with Moffat taking over initally - because his RTD era plots and structures and resolutions were all so good - but that kinda went out the window when he became showrunner. Astronaut/Day remains the only two parter of his I like in his own era as showrunner. I'd prefer someone new.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on RTD/Moffat.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I can't believe we have people bitching about the frequency of Paternoster gang appearances when we're in the midst of yet another Dalek two-parter.

Last episode they appeared in was frankly one of the best of the last series.

I can't believe we have people bitching about the frequency of Paternoster gang appearances when we're in the midst of yet another Dalek two-parter.

Last episode they appeared in was frankly one of the best of the last series.

We're pretty sure that the contract with the nation estate means the daleks have to appear at least once per season.

That one's not moffat's fault.

imo Deep Breath was a poor ep and a poor introduction to capaldi. nowhere near as good as eleventh hour or spearhead in space.

GulAtiCa

I love the Daleks. I say more of them please!

Do people not like "Deep Breath"? I thought it was a nice side of the Doctor, one where he is extremely confused and disoriented.

Veelk

Banned
Also, people constantly coming in complaining about how Moffat is supposedly ruining the show RTD set up, or how and when Moffat should be replaced, are getting a bit tiring. Not that their opinion is wrong - it is after all an opinion - but it's the same old arguments every time and they make the discussion threads a bit depressing if it happens after every episode. Not saying there shouldn't be criticism at all, but there is such a thing as overdoing it - I think we should all accept the fact that, after 4 years, it's a different show under Moffat than it was under RTD. And it will be a different show again at some point. Otherwise we're just caught in an endless loop of people endlessly hating either RTD or Moffat and arguing about that, which gets in the way of more interesting discussions. We're not on Gallifreybase here. But that's just my opinion, I can't claim I should be making the rules here. I can see plenty of people disagreeing with me on this.

I like Moffat quite a bit, even with his ups and downs, but I feel that he's had his time and it's just time for DW to take on a different voice. I consider it the Marvel syndrome, where the writing and themes can be perfectly servicable, but we've seen it all for so long that it's just bland at this point and in need of a change of style. Moffat has been a very fine show runner and gave some of the best moments the Doctor ever had, but at the very least I think many can agree that we need a break.

Htown

I love the Daleks. I say more of them please!

Do people not like "Deep Breath"? I thought it was a nice side of the Doctor, one where he is extremely confused and disoriented.

that episode spent too much time trying to convince fangirls that it was okay that the doctor is old now and wasting time with the Paternoster gang

Once the Doctor and Clara got together again, though, the quality shot WAY up. The interplay between the Doctor and Clara was great, the tension with them trying to escape the robots was great.

Basically the stuff where it was just Clara and the gang wasn't as good as the rest of the episode.

Top Bottom