• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

End of season 4.

Uuuugh are you serious? Uuuugh. Rose and Second Doctor

Uuuugh, what is this??

Also how can the Doctor be mad that the Doctor ended all the Daleks? I can't imagine he could plot device his way out of that one.

He probably couldn't, but the whole point of the war-tortured 9th/10th Doctor is that he wouldn't. He can't do it in Series 1 ("Coward, any day.") - Rose ends up doing it. In Series 2 his plan involves sucking them into the void, which would just strand them, not kill them. In Series 3 he actually approaches Sec and offers him help, but Sec runs away (and the others are killed not by him, but by their own hybrid slaves). The whole point in Series 4 is that the one that pops out of Donna is less inhibited by the horrors of the war and acts more like he did in the war, essentially committing genocide. Even his failed plan with the DNA gun for Davros is violent, as that's another plan to kill them all.

He might be a hypocrite for it, but he believes that, I think. If the 'normal' Doctor had access to the TARDIS and everything, he'd probably find another way. But he didn't. So it is what it is.

Boem

Poster for tonights episode:

CQYdppHXAAAJUbW.jpg

Not sure what to expect yet. Expecting something fairly standard as far as Who goes, but happy to be surprised. What they're doing with it as a two-parter is probably the interesting part.

Razmos

Oh I forgot about the posters, I like those.

I'm expecting to be disappointed by tonights episode. Which in a way is good because it might end up being better than expected.

TheJoRu

I know very little about this episode; haven't watched any trailer for it or clip, so will be fun to go in a bit blinder than usual.

Boem

The writer for tonight's episode is Toby Whithouse, who previously did 'Greeks Bearing Gifts' for Torchwood, as well as 'School Reunion', 'Vampires of Venice', 'The God Complex' and 'A Town Called Mercy' for Doctor Who. He's writing next week's episode as well. So while that's definitely a series of what you would call 'standard'* Doctor Who, there aren't any actually bad episodes on that list (although I don't really remember enough about Torchwood to recall which episode was that one). I'm personally pretty fond of Vampires of Venice myself, and God Complex is a cracker as well. The other two aren't bad either actually.

The director is Daniel O'Hara, who hasn't worked on Who before but he did work on Being Human and Silent Witness (and, for RTD-fans, Wizards & Aliens). I actually watched some of those first two shows but I can't tell you if his episodes specifically looked good or not, as I wasn't really paying attention to his name at the time.

* please note that I don't think 'standard' Doctor Who is by definition bad Doctor Who - just mentioned that to say what kind of story we can expect. Like the poster above me said, sometimes that kind of story is just fine.

tomtom94

I'm expecting tonight's episode to be good and the ratings to be awful.

EDIT: Greeks Bearing Gifts was standard Torchwood series 1, really...stuff they couldn't get away with on Doctor Who plus a little bit of fanservice.

The writer for tonight's episode is Toby Whithouse, who previously did 'Greeks Bearing Gifts' for Torchwood, as well as 'School Reunion', 'Vampires of Venice', 'The God Complex' and 'A Town Called Mercy' for Doctor Who. He's writing next week's episode as well. So while that's definitely a series of what you would call 'standard'* Doctor Who, there aren't any actually bad episodes on that list (although I don't really remember enough about Torchwood to recall which episode was that one). I'm personally pretty fond of Vampires of Venice myself, and God Complex is a cracker as well. The other two aren't bad either actually.

I really loved School Reunion and Vampires of Venice, but hated, absolutely hated, God Complex and Town Called Mercy. But, Whithouse also did The Game, which I absolutely loved- he managed to make a new version of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy mixed with Callan, without all the over-the-top retconning that goes on so many BBC period shows. He'd be my pick for taking over from Grand Moffat Tarkin.

Boem

Of all the things Moffat has done, can we agree that moving the show to autumn was a terrible idea?

I don't think that was Moffat's call really.

But yeah, having to watch a couple of minutes of Strictly before every new ep is torture. At least they're not doing that show with the giant robot rabbit or the celebrities doing gymnastics before Who anymore.

Short introduction to tonight's episode (light spoilers for people who want to go in blind): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLjfzOmRKgs

Props to Capaldi for referencing two Throughton monsters. Although the Macra weren't underwater creatures exactly, but I'll allow it.

TheJoRu

You really think that the creators of shows have any impact on when it is played?

The BBC is in charge, but executives (if they are good executives) have to take into account the interests of a lot of different people and parties, including the creators/producers. I doubt they just hand over the contracts without any sort of discussion or negotiation. It may even have been the producers' idea to move it into the autumn in the first place and BBC liked it. Who knows?

RTD's book The Writer's Tale delves a little bit into the producing side of things (and a lot into his writing), it's a great read.

tomtom94

Moffat might not have chosen the move to autumn, but I would argue he's definitely a worse producer than RTD was - hence why Who has gone through a number of production delays (series 6 being split in two, series 9 taking longer for fewer episodes) during his tenure.

Then again, he also had to deal with BBC budget cuts, so YMMV.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Moffat might not have chosen the move to autumn, but I would argue he's definitely a worse producer than RTD was - hence why Who has gone through a number of production delays (series 6 being split in two, series 9 taking longer for fewer episodes) during his tenure.

Moff doesn't have anyone like Gardner who'll fight for the show. RTD was very, very lucky in how good the team around him was.

Boem

I don't think it's fair to put that on Moffat though - the problems with the BBC and NewWho started a couple of years back, and the effects on Who were noticeable before Moffat got the job. RTD was the first to have a gap year for example,with just 4 specials for Tennant (edit: 5, forgot that the last one was a two-parter). Moffat is making a show for a version of the BBC that's very different compared to most of RTD's run, so until we get that a 'Writer's Tale' for the Moffat years I don't think it's fair to call him a worse producer. After all, it was Moffat who was able to make the show a lot more successful and mainstream abroad and especially in the US. And that's in a world were there's a lot more competition in the well-produced scifi/fantasy-section of tv, compared to 2005.

Also it's important to remember that it was never 'just' Moffat or RTD running the show - they are more known to us because they were the lead writers at the same time, so they usually get all of the praise/blame. EDIT: What Deathyboy said.

[Torchwood] was an amazingly bad show at times.

It didn't take long at all: the second episode had a sex cloud from Mars that took over people's bodies so it could fuck people because it lived of the energy released from orgasms (and the other person would disintegrate at the point of orgasm). I did not make any of this up.

Oh I liked that one. That's exactly the kind of SF that seldom makes it beyond the printed page into TV or film. Torchwood was very good in that respect. I'd suggest Black Mirror occupies a similar niche.

Blader

At least he resolved those cliffhangers. One of Moffat's numerous issues across both Who and Sherlock is his utter inability to deliver a cliffhanger resolution worth shit.

Not resolving a cliffhanger isn't the same thing as resolving a cliffhanger poorly.

And I would say the beginning of Journey's End is the worst asspull cliffhanger resolution that either of them has written (Last of the Time Lords, coincidentally another RTD-penned finale, being the second worst).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I still feel Last of the Time Lords is the worst of the finales.
Let's turn Doctor Who into fucking Care Bears! Clap your hands if you belieeeeeve!
Pretty sure the audience is everyone, not JUST kids.

Lately I've sort of been finding myself hoping that the Randomizer gets stuck, or even that the Doctor loses Tardis access for a bit like 3. There's just been too much Timey Wimey shenanigans.

Boem

Oh I liked that one. That's exactly the kind of SF that seldom makes it beyond the printed page into TV or film. Torchwood was very good in that respect. I'd suggest Black Mirror occupies a similar niche.

Well, you have a point in that they both go for the type of scifi that you normally wouldn't see on screen, and that they're both not afraid of going very bleak, but the main difference is that Black Mirror is simply written a lot better (which is of course nothing more than a matter of personal taste, so I won't try to debate you on that), but mostly that Black Mirror isn't trying to fit into the world of Doctor Who. I'm all for tonally different spinoffs, but a sex cloud just goes way too far for a show like Doctor Who in my opinion - even if it is advertised as 'for adults'. I can't take the idea seriously that, when I watch a Hartnell episode, there's a sex cloud floating around on Mars in that same universe. I think there's a difference between exploring where the limits of a certain fictional universe are and going as far as possible into the extreme without any regard for the world and tone that has been established for 50 years. Even in a world as fluid as Doctor Who. It feels like dropping a rapper in a WWII fighter plane in the world of Tolkien.

And, again, I don't think it was written particularly well. You can talk about sex and rape in certain, careful ways in a Doctor Who-context, but this wasn't it.It felt like it was going for shock value for the sake of it (like a lot of Torchwood). Trying a bit too hard. A lot of that show would have worked a lot better without the Doctor Who connection I think.

Edit: I guess Doctor Who will have one less viewer tonight, even from a big fan like me. I have to make the choice right now to stay home to watch it or go down to the pub to watch the rugby with friends. I hope the scheduling gets better later in the season.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yep, those are a bunch of okay episodes.

Not great, not bad. The kind you'd watch if they were on, but wouldn't change the channel to see them or get away from them.

He probably couldn't, but the whole point of the war-tortured 9th/10th Doctor is that he wouldn't. He can't do it in Series 1 ("Coward, any day.") - Rose ends up doing it. In Series 2 his plan involves sucking them into the void, which would just strand them, not kill them. In Series 3 he actually approaches Sec and offers him help, but Sec runs away (and the others are killed not by him, but by their own hybrid slaves). The whole point in Series 4 is that the one that pops out of Donna is less inhibited by the horrors of the war and acts more like he did in the war, essentially committing genocide. Even his failed plan with the DNA gun for Davros is violent, as that's another plan to kill them all.

He might be a hypocrite for it, but he believes that, I think. If the 'normal' Doctor had access to the TARDIS and everything, he'd probably find another way. But he didn't. So it is what it is.

Oh I know, it was more rhetorical. I was just all around annoyed at how S4 ended.

Quick

Banned
School Reunion and The God Complex are great. The God Complex especially. School Reunion is amazing for nostalgia with a well-crafted story.

Vampires of Venice and A Town Called Mercy are both good and inoffensive.

ghstwrld

Yeah people give Moffat a lot of BS (and while his writing is not perfect I think a lot of the hate is undeserved) but I'm glad he never gave us anything as stupid as a second human Doctor to give to one of his former companions.

but he gave us river song and mals
mitsukicoffee.gif

Moff doesn't have anyone like Gardner who'll fight for the show. RTD was very, very lucky in how good the team around him was.

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other here, though, in that if you believe the rumours part of the reason Moffat has lacked somebody that loyal is because he can be a temper tantrum dick, like... which is supposedly a big part of why the Exec & Producer roles under him have been a revolving door. RTD did blow up, but always contained it to himself (which was self-destructive - when you read some of what he put himself through in his Who years, it's mental) or very rarely to Gardner, who he had a special relationship with.

So, yeah. I also think Gardner was instrumental for RTD & Collinson, who were both old-school fanboys - she didn't know the show, and actively refused to watch Old Who apart from specific episodes RTD recommended for research. She was the litmus test for the average viewer, so she kept a lot of the continuity fanwank (which has become increasingly prevalent under Moffat) out but also made direct suggestions to add it sometimes (like showing all the Doctors for the first time in 'The Next Doctor' - her idea).

Anyway, if Moffat's at fault or not for driving some away (I feel Penhale was particularly good, so it's a shame they had a massive blow-up), it's definitely true that the machine has been less well oiled under him, and it's probably because of the lack of a Gardner-like figure, yes.

Whenever I talk about this, I link this brilliant piece of writing on her, and her impact: http://www.philipsandifer.com/blog/a-woman-the-end-of-time-part-one/

It was never really the RTD era, not really. It was the RTD and Gardner era.

bengraven

Moffat has literally given me everything I've loved about Who since 1999.

- The Red Nose Day parody in 1999
- The Empty Child, Girl in the Fireplace, and Blink - my three favorite RTD era stories
- Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead - my next favorites
- Matt and Peter's years.

I still feel Last of the Time Lords is the worst of the finales.
Let's turn Doctor Who into fucking Care Bears! Clap your hands if you belieeeeeve!
Pretty sure the audience is everyone, not JUST kids.
It was pretty good up until then though. Zany Scissor Sister singing Master, and Utopia is one of the most thrilling episodes of the show to date.

Wedding of River Song is possibly the most rushed, bizarre, dull finale yet. No real Silence pay off, weird amnesia sub-plot and The Doctor being straight up verbally abusive to one of his closest companions. Just so odd.

Quick

Banned
Moffat has literally given me everything I've loved about Who since 1999.

- The Red Nose Day parody in 1999
- The Empty Child, Girl in the Fireplace, and Blink - my three favorite RTD era stories
- Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead - my next favorites
- Matt and Peter's years.

I agree with this.

It was always an event for me when Moffat episodes were coming up in the RTD era.

My one big 'what if' Moffat/RTD moment is wondering what would've happened had Moffat not been doing Jekyll and had said yes to what RTD originally offered him for series 3, which was the Dalek 2-parter as well as Blink. I wonder how different it would have been, or how it might've impacted Blink? I'd love to glimpse into that parallel universe.

Shiggy

Why is it airing at a different time each week? Now I'm stuck with Dancing with the Stars and don't want to close the stream, fearing that I won't get it back to work.

Why is it airing at a different time each week? Now I'm stuck with Dancing with the Stars and don't want to close the stream, fearing that I won't get it back to work.

Strictly Come Dancing is going to be pushing Doctor Who back for the rest of the series. It's a live show with a slowly decreasing cast, so there won't be any hard and fast timeslot for Who going forward.

It's on in 45 minutes, if it helps.

tomtom94

The other reason might be that darker episodes have to air later to discourage really small children from watching. I remember that being a reason why Mummy aired late last series.

tomtom94

"Once had an argument with Gandhi"

if that's an intentional reference to "Ghosts of India" that's one hell of an obscure Expanded Universe nod

Top Bottom