• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

I just did a Google search on "doctor who Clara pregnant". There's a lot of speculation but not much to go on. The "three months" sticky note seen in the background during Clara's fatal call to Danny could mean anything, though it's the most persuasive evidence I've seen. The resemblance between Orson and Danny was written in an ambiguous way (Clara sees it, The Doctor doesn't) with the end of the series in mind.

There's no reason to suppose Clara is pregnant. Wouldn't she have mentioned the fact to Danny when she met him in the graveyard, or in that last conversation before he sent the boy back, or even during the crab dream? For such an important fact to go unmentioned doesn't seem plausible.

I fear Orson Pink will just be left unexplained by Moffat and be another example of poor writing and planning.

I think of unresolved possibilities as texture, without which the writing is tidy to no good purpose. Orson's existence hints at a stronger entwining of Clara's and Danny's timelines and transforms her view of their relationship. In the same episode Clara's intervention in the barn echoes the Doctor's intervention in the children's home, making Listen one of the most satisfying time travel episodes Moffat has written since Blink. But in Moffat's writing the resolution is always ambiguous and elusive. When time is not linear, cause and effect break down, or at least often appear to change places like the limbs of a Penrose triangle. This is what Doctor Who is about at its very best.

I fear Orson Pink will just be left unexplained by Moffat and be another example of poor writing and planning.

moffat.jpg

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I just did a Google search on "doctor who Clara pregnant". There's a lot of speculation but not much to go on. The "three months" sticky note seen in the background during Clara's fatal call to Danny could mean anything, though it's the most persuasive evidence I've seen. The resemblance between Orson and Danny was written in an ambiguous way (Clara sees it, The Doctor doesn't) with the end of the series in mind.

There's no reason to suppose Clara is pregnant. Wouldn't she have mentioned the fact to Danny when she met him in the graveyard, or in that last conversation before he sent the boy back, or even during the crab dream? For such an important fact to go unmentioned doesn't seem plausible.

Pregnant Clara meant no more Companion Clara, it was tied to her future in the show which was up in the air.

Always felt there was a bit missing from the Xmas special, where Old Clara would have brought it up when looking back at her photos which would have tied it all up and been the perfect bittersweet exit for the character. The episode, and Clara's first line to the Doctor of you came back, would have been stronger if Old Clara hadn't been a dream and it was clearly intended that way.

Now we're on course for Clara being reckless and dying I think, which could also be good but it's a shame her continuing bodged Last Christmas and by extension Listen as well.

I really liked this episode, had no idea it was going to be a 2-parter until the end.

After not liking season 8 at all, I've been feeling pretty good with this season so far.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
2-Parter took me by surprise as well. Didn't feel like the episode was almost over when he left in the TARDIS, was very quickly paced. Was also enjoyably creepy.

Also...

bpp56zM.jpg

Maddocks

the two parters are not ending anytime soon. Looks like the rest of the season is two parters if we are going by the name of the episodes.

I love it though, having two episodes to flesh out everything is amazing.

mclem

Also notice that the ghost was looking at his closed eyes when deciding whether or not to clobber him with the wrench. And the question of why the ghosts have no eyes in the first place is bound to be significant.

Also, Doc + Clara were just inspected by the ghosts, at first. Then they were led to the ship, then saw the words, then the ghosts wanted to kill them.

tomtom94

I actually think changing the whole series to two-parters was a fun idea, as long as they keep it fresh, the only problem I think I'm going to have is I'll be sick of cliffhangers by the time episode 11 rolls around.

PaulloDEC

What the hell?

It looks like there's an Eighth Doctor series that leads into it as well:

time_war_cover_medium.jpg

Wearing his Night of the Doctor costume and not the Purple Leather of the other Big Finish stuff.

Yup, just read about this in the War Doctor press release:

In addition to The War Doctor, November 2017 also sees a prequel box set to the saga, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor — The Time War, which will follow the early stages of the Time War from the Eighth Doctor’s perspective. Paul McGann stars, alongside characters first introduced in the War Doctor box sets.

Just appeared in my Facebook feed:

Pretty huge news for Big Finish! Seems like they're inching ever closer to getting the core new-series Doctors involved.

Psst: It's not announced yet, but it's leaked: Tennant/Tate are doing stories in 2016.

There's also an entire River Song series coming (including a story with her and the 8th Doctor together), a 'Churchill Diaries' featuring the Churchill actor from S5/6 chronicling various encounters with aliens and the Doctor from his perspective (specifically an encounter with 9, an encounter with 10, and an all new encounter with 11 with, bizarrely, Kazran (the 'Scrooge' from A Christmas Carol) in tow - but presumably not actually featuring their voices, as it's framed as him telling stories), a 'New Monsters/Classic Doctors' box set which sees stuff such as the 5th Doctor against Weeping Angels, the 6th against Judoon, etc, and now this War Doctor stuff. They're also doing the Strax story linked above, and new Torchwood serials with Barrowman (The other week BF released the official '2015 version' of the Torchwood Theme, which is rather good: https://soundcloud.com/big-finish/torchwood-theme-2015).

So, seems they've got the license. If I had to guess though Moffat's probably keeping them one Doctor out from the present - so we'll get 10/Donna, but we won't get 11/Amy until there's some more distance from them.

Damnit Big Finish, you're going to have so much of my money over the next few years. D:

Tremendous news for them- with Tennant (probably) soon to follow, Big Finish have opened up a huge market for themselves.

PaulloDEC

Psst: It's not announced yet, but it's leaked: Tennant/Tate are doing stories in 2016.

Woah. I knew about the other stuff, but 10/Donna is news to me. I kinda can't stand Donna, but damn, that's incredibly exciting news for all the fans who can! I'll be crossing my fingers for some Rose/Mickey/Martha/Jack sometime down the line, or if I dare to dream, maybe even some Chris Eccleston.

EDIT: Nick Briggs chats with John Hurt on the Big Finish podcast.

Woah. I knew about the other stuff, but 10/Donna is news to me. I kinda can't stand Donna, but damn, that's incredibly exciting news for all the fans who can! I'll be crossing my fingers for some Rose/Mickey/Martha/Jack sometime down the line, or if I dare to dream, maybe even some Chris Eccleston.

EDIT: Nick Briggs chats with John Hurt on the Big Finish podcast.

It was probably always going to be that pair, as Eccleston is a grump, Agyeman is off in America and being quite successful at it, and Piper's semi-retired for a while to focus on being a mum (I think she said she's only doing one or two projects a year, or something. Then again, you can record a Big Finish in a day). I'm sure they'll be able to get Piper in soon though, and Barrowman is already doing Torchwood serials, so...

PaulloDEC

It was probably always going to be that pair, as Eccleston is a grump, Agyeman is off in America and being quite successful at it, and Piper's semi-retired for a while to focus on being a mum (I think she said she's only doing one or two projects a year, or something. Then again, you can record a Big Finish in a day). I'm sure they'll be able to get Piper in soon though, and Barrowman is already doing Torchwood serials, so...

Oh, Freema's still kicking it in the US? Good for her. I could see Piper getting onboard, but as you say, maybe not right away. I think they'd have to physically restrain Barrowman. Noel Clarke would probably do it too, likewise Camille Coduri, now I think about it.

I'm still holding out some hope for Eccleston. It's well-documented now that his issue was with particular individuals (and to some extent the culture) on the TV show, so working with a much smaller organisation on projects that emphasise performance and story over visual effects or action set-pieces seems like something he might want to do.

Oh, Freema's still kicking it in the US? Good for her. I could see Piper getting onboard, but as you say, maybe not right away. I think they'd have to physically restrain Barrowman. Noel Clarke would probably do it too, likewise Camille Coduri, now I think about it.

I'm still holding out some hope for Eccleston. It's well-documented now that his issue was with particular individuals (and to some extent the culture) on the TV show, so working with a much smaller organisation on projects that emphasise performance and story over visual effects or action set-pieces seems like something he might want to do.

Coduri is a UK TV mainstay and that makes her a really easy get. Clarke's actually a really weird one, because he's had relative success in bigger things - as a writer and director, and then with a few Hollywood appearances including Star Trek. In 2008/9 he said he only came back for RTD, and wouldn't have for anyone else. So it's hard to say.

Love that man though, would love to see him do some more Who stuff. I'd love to see him write and/or direct an episode - his Torchwood was good! He might be a bit 'big' for it now though, I guess. Indeed, the 'human' 10th Doctor/Rose/Him in the parallel universe could make for quite an interesting Big Finish spin-off with a very different alternate characterisation of Tennant's Doctor.

Mindwipe

Oh, Freema's still kicking it in the US? Good for her. I could see Piper getting onboard, but as you say, maybe not right away. I think they'd have to physically restrain Barrowman.

That genuinely nearly had to happen when he did the Torchwood radio special.

The Radio 4 audio drama team didn't know what had hit them.

APZonerunner said:
Love that man though, would love to see him do some more Who stuff. I'd love to see him write and/or direct an episode - his Torchwood was good!

You'll win the lottery three weeks in a row first.

bengraven

You know, I enjoyed the episode, but I'm really getting sick of the "Doctor arrives on space station/research lab/mining colony and there are only a few people left helpless against a monster or two".

Boem

Amazing news. Very happy we'll get a bit more of John Hurt. I was afraid we'd never see any solo-adventures from him, because he is a bit older and recently got cancer as well. Loved him in Day of the Doctor, and figured appearances in future multi-Doctor adventures were unlikely unless they'd bring the Time War back again, and I think that story is closed now (in the tv show).

As for Eccleston: I really wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't think he's a dick or anything, but he just isn't the kind of actor to return to something like this. Not uncommon for actors, but it sucks for fans like us because all the other Doctors have always been happy to return to the role years later. On the upside, even Tom Baker changed his mind and realised he was being a bit of an asshole towards the show, the other Doctors and his fans when he started doing Big Finish (his own admission - listen to Tom Baker at 60, it's a very uplifting listen because he talks about how unhappy he was, and how happy doing Big Finish made him again). It was even his idea to do 'something with the other guys' for Big Finish's 50th anniversary, even though he never wanted to do multi-Doctor specials in the past because he didn't want to play second fiddle to other Doctors. If even Tom can change his mind (granted, it took some time), Eccleston might too, at some point. And Tom Baker definitely was more stubborn and unwilling to work with others than Eccleston seems to be.

It's also worth remembering that, even though he didn't end up doing it, he was willing to listen to Moffat's pitch for Day of the Doctor. It might just have been a courtesy, but perhaps he hasn't completely ruled out the possibility as well.

Joqu

That War Doctor audio news is huge, I can't believe they got John Hurt! Pretty amazing.

Really happy with the recent Big Finish news in general (and sad for the wallet). Took long enough for them to get their modern Who licence.

Wow Big Finish are going all out. 2016 is a stacked year for them.

Getting John Hurt to come back is fantastic though. I'm curious how they approach him because he's kind of like a new Eighth Doctor; he appeared on screen once, but its now pretty much entirely in Big Finish's hands as to how they shape him. Particularly since the War Doctor we saw was in his last days as opposed to in the thick of it.

I wonder if they can't get Ecceleston they'll just forgo him and have Rose or Rose+Jack stories with Piper and Barrowman. A mini arc where they get stranded away from the TARDIS would be neat.

PaulloDEC

Where the hell has all this bull about Clara being pregnant come from?

I believe there's a post-it note in Clara's apartment in the S8 finale that says "three months", or something to that effect. I think that's literally the thing that started it all.

Wow Big Finish are going all out. 2016 is a stacked year for them.

Getting John Hurt to come back is fantastic though. I'm curious how they approach him because he's kind of like a new Eighth Doctor; he appeared on screen once, but its now pretty much entirely in Big Finish's hands as to how they shape him. Particularly since the War Doctor we saw was in his last days as opposed to in the thick of it.

I wonder if they can't get Ecceleston they'll just forgo him and have Rose or Rose+Jack stories with Piper and Barrowman. A mini arc where they get stranded away from the TARDIS would be neat.

Hell, I'd buy that. Barrowman and Piper could more than carry it.

As for Eccleston: I really wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't think he's a dick or anything, but he just isn't the kind of actor to return to something like this. Not uncommon for actors, but it sucks for fans like us because all the other Doctors have always been happy to return to the role years later. On the upside, even Tom Baker changed his mind and realised he was being a bit of an asshole towards the show, the other Doctors and his fans when he started doing Big Finish (his own admission - listen to Tom Baker at 60, it's a very uplifting listen because he talks about how unhappy he was, and how happy doing Big Finish made him again). It was even his idea to do 'something with the other guys' for Big Finish's 50th anniversary, even though he never wanted to do multi-Doctor specials in the past because he didn't want to play second fiddle to other Doctors. If even Tom can change his mind (granted, it took some time), Eccleston might too, at some point. And Tom Baker definitely was more stubborn and unwilling to work with others than Eccleston seems to be.

It's also worth remembering that, even though he didn't end up doing it, he was willing to listen to Moffat's pitch for Day of the Doctor. It might just have been a courtesy, but perhaps he hasn't completely ruled out the possibility as well.

I should clarify that when I say I'm holding out hope, it's pretty much the same level of ambient hope I've been holding out since 2006. Until the door is totally shut, it's still a little bit open.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Where the hell has all this bull about Clara being pregnant come from?

Orson Pink. It's not bull, it's obviously how her story was meant to end and I think it would have come up as Old Clara if she had left. Probably with the Doctor leaving her the toy soldier as the family heirloom she hands down, although that's all a bit timey-wimey.

The handwave for Orson not being Danny/Clara's descendant despite him being played by Danny and saying one of his great-grandparents was a time-traveller is a bit silly.

BTails

You know, I enjoyed the episode, but I'm really getting sick of the "Doctor arrives on space station/research lab/mining colony and there are only a few people left helpless against a monster or two".

Don't watch/listen to any 2nd Doctor stories then, haha.

I thought this was the best, most "classic" Doctor Who episodes in years. The two parters are really helping, it gives the show SO much more room to breathe instead of shoving explosions and Deus Ex Machinas down our throats every 5 minutes.

GulAtiCa

I'm sticking to my guns that they realized nobody gave a shit about Danny and just killed him

Unless I'm wrong, aren't all 12/etc episodes shot & finished before the 1st episode of a new series is even aired? So not sure if they can use public feedback in this case to determine this. Maybe if they went back and altered the script/scenes though.

Magwik

Banned
Unless I'm wrong, aren't all 12/etc episodes shot & finished before the 1st episode of a new series is even aired? So not sure if they can use public feedback in this case to determine this. Maybe if they went back and altered the script/scenes though.
You're more than likely right. The only thing they could possibly have changed before airing is the Christmas special which reeks of them planning to have Clara leave then

Top Bottom