• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

I really liked that episode a lot-I'm a sucker for "trapped in a location, have to figure out a puzzle" stories.

I really hope Toby Whithouse gets the show runner gig after Moffet.

He's been my desired next showrunner ever since Series 1 of Being Human. I'd love for him to get the job.

Ophelion

Huh, yeah. Probably should have been a bit less bright. I would have also made that Tardis turn a bit more slowly - it'd be a pretty chill theme then. This seems like it could get annoying quickly.

It's actually worse than that. Because it's semi obscured behind icons (Galifreyan circle script! Aw, I wish I could use this theme...) the quickly turning TARIDS actually makes me feel vaguely nauseated somehow. Pity. It's a cool theme other than that. I would've liked better shading on the TARDIS too. It looks kind of flat somehow. Doesn't look like it's made of wood.

Yeah, Whithouse has been my choice for a while- not necessarily because of his Who scripts (although The God Complex is a classic, and this two-parter will be bloody good if it sticks the landing), but because Being Human was so brilliant, so often. I honestly think he could do some incredible things with Who if he was given the keys to the whole thing.

With that said, I still haven't seen The Game, but I've heard bad things, and the way it was treated by the Beeb suggests to me that he fluffed his big audition.

It'll be Moffat's best friend Mark Gatiss that will take over, we all know this to be true.

He doesn't want it, by all accounts. He's got a successful acting career on the go, and has the time to pursue personal projects too- I don't see him wanting to sacrifice that on the altar of Doctor Who.

If he wanted the job, he'd get it, sure. However, if he wanted the job I'm pretty sure he'd already have it.

He doesn't want it, by all accounts. He's got a successful acting career on the go, and has the time to pursue personal projects too- I don't see him wanting to sacrifice that on the altar of Doctor Who.

If he wanted the job, he'd get it, sure. However, if he wanted the job I'm pretty sure he'd already have it.

Eh, the last time he was asked about it on camera he went beetroot red and said "You know I can't answer that." He wants it. Moffat, by all accounts, had way more on the go than Gaitiss ever has had in his career, working with Spielberg and all that while also having the ability to basically get anything he wanted commissioned off the string of awards he got for Jekyll & RTD era Who, plus being part of UK TV royalty having married into the Vertue family -- but the fanboy in him took hold. Same'd be true of Gatiss. Don't think Gatiss would stick around for as long as Moffat, though.

Anyone know if there's a reason Paul Cornell hasn't done a Who screenplay in 8 years?

I don't think his face 'fits' Moffat's "rewrite light" showrunner approach. Cornell is one of the people who - by his own admission - was heavily rewritten by RTD. He describes the first draft he got back of Human Nature/The Family of Blood from RTD as practically unrecognisable, for instance, but in a good way. This was how RTD rolled, and the only people who IIRC were allowed their own final drafts under RTD was Moffat & Chibnall. (Though several episodes passed RTD by during Series 3, including those Dalek episodes, when he was really very ill.)

Moffat tends to bring on experienced writers who work alone, basically, and doesn't much care if they have much Who experience. RTD in those early years almost exclusively bought on people who'd written for Who in other mediums in the off-air years (including Moffat), and Cornell was one of the key contributors to the Virgin New Adventures books. His TV work is actually rather scant besides; some episodes of Casualty, etc. As such Cornell isn't really necessarily a fit for Moffat's approach, but what is lost is that he's a magnificent ideas man with a brilliant compass for emotional stories.

He still plainly loves Who very much, blogs about it on his personal site, and has written/is writing a number of 11th/12th Doctor comics, if that tickles your fancy.

I don't think his face 'fits' Moffat's "rewrite light" showrunner approach. Cornell is one of the people who - by his own admission - was heavily rewritten by RTD. He describes the first draft he got back of Human Nature/The Family of Blood from RTD as practically unrecognisable, for instance, but in a good way. This was how RTD rolled, and the only people who IIRC were allowed their own final drafts under RTD was Moffat & Chibnall. (Though several episodes passed RTD by during Series 3, including those Dalek episodes, when he was really very ill.)

Moffat tends to bring on experienced writers who work alone, basically, and doesn't much care if they have much Who experience. RTD in those early years almost exclusively bought on people who'd written for Who in other mediums in the off-air years (including Moffat), and Cornell was one of the key contributors to the Virgin New Adventures books. His TV work is actually rather scant besides; some episodes of Casualty, etc. As such Cornell isn't really necessarily a fit for Moffat's approach, but what is lost is that he's a magnificent ideas man with a brilliant compass for emotional stories.

He still plainly loves Who very much, blogs about it on his personal site, and has written/is writing a number of 11th/12th Doctor comics, if that tickles your fancy.

I see - cheers for the info.

Just re-watched The Name of the Doctor. It's daft, but the "INTRODUCING JOHN HURT... AS THE DOCTOR" caption appearance is possibly my favourite Doctor Who moment.

Boem

Just re-watched The Name of the Doctor. It's daft, but the "INTRODUCING JOHN HURT... AS THE DOCTOR" caption appearance is possibly my favourite Doctor Who moment.

Especially because of the hilarious reaction of kids who didn't know who John Hurt was thinking the Doctor's actual name was revealed to be John Hurt. The tweets were hilarious for a little bit back then.

Also the Doctor's name should obviously never be revealed, but John Hurt makes sense in a weird way.

I have a stupid question regarding Big Finish because I can't seem to find the info on their FAQ page and don't really know where else to look.
If I place an order will they charge me now, or on the items release? And similarly if I were to order a bundle would I face the whole charge upfront, or would they charge me for each CD as it releases?

(I've never used anyone who uses sagepay for card processing before either so that doesn't help but it looks like it might be one upfront charge?).

They charge you up front for the whole amount. However you do get a free download of the cd that you get as well (which is nice of them, and they had the idea before amazon!)which will be available the day of release so you can listen to that before you get the cd through the post if you want.

Ephidel

They charge you up front for the whole amount. However you do get a free download of the cd that you get as well (which is nice of them, and they had the idea before amazon!)which will be available the day of release so you can listen to that before you get the cd through the post if you want.
Cheers for the answer :)

Boem

Interview with Sean Pertwee where he talks about his father's Doctor: http://www.thegallifreytimes.co.uk/...s.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

But would Sean ever consider donning his father's costume for a real appearance as the Third Doctor in Doctor Who? Their resemblance is uncanny. Pertwee said:

“It would be an honour, but I think I would be completely terrified. They’re large boots to fill. My dad would have absolutely split his sides if I did that, I’m laughing just thinking of his reaction.

He's not against the idea at least, and he has always been happy sharing various pictures of him dressed as the Doctor online (the picture in that article is far from the best one). He has the looks obviously, although I'm not too familiar with him as an actor so I have no idea if he would be able to pull it off. I'm not expecting a multidoctor special anytime soon or anything, but on the surface it seems like this is a bit of casting that would make sense. Recasting older Doctors is always tricky, but it doesn't have to be perfect - David Bradley wasn't quite Hartnell, but he was close enough in spirit for the story they told there. I could see David Bradley, Frazer Hines (with a bit of clever make up he can look quite like him, and Big Finish has shown he has the voice and mannerisms down perfectly) and Sean Pertwee together as the first three Doctors.

Boem

How much does he sound like his father though? JP had that super distinctive voice.

He definitely has a noticeably deeper, raspier voice, but you can recognize his father a bit in there. Don't know if he would be able to imitate his father a bit more if he tried though. I don't think he ever tried on camera.

VegiHam

He definitely has a noticeably deeper, raspier voice, but you can recognize his father a bit in there. Don't know if he would be able to imitate his father a bit more if he tried though. I don't think he ever tried on camera.

"I am the Doctor and I have a space cold today"

tomtom94

Interview with Sean Pertwee where he talks about his father's Doctor: http://www.thegallifreytimes.co.uk/...s.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

He's not against the idea at least, and he has always been happy sharing various pictures of him dressed as the Doctor online (the picture in that article is far from the best one). He has the looks obviously, although I'm not too familiar with him as an actor so I have no idea if he would be able to pull it off. I'm not expecting a multidoctor special anytime soon or anything, but on the surface it seems like this is a bit of casting that would make sense. Recasting older Doctors is always tricky, but it doesn't have to be perfect - David Bradley wasn't quite Hartnell, but he was close enough in spirit for the story they told there. I could see David Bradley, Frazer Hines (with a bit of clever make up he can look quite like him, and Big Finish has shown he has the voice and mannerisms down perfectly) and Sean Pertwee together as the first three Doctors.

Wasn't there a scene with Gatiss as Pertwee cut from An Adventure In Space and Time? Doubt that would work on the long-term basis, of course.

Is it Sean, or Jon? YOU BE THE JUDGE!

Well__this_is_uncanny__Sean_Pertwee_looks_exactly_like_his_father_Jon_in_Doctor_Who_photo.jpg

Is it Sean, or Jon? YOU BE THE JUDGE!

Well__this_is_uncanny__Sean_Pertwee_looks_exactly_like_his_father_Jon_in_Doctor_Who_photo.jpg

Didn't Sean Pertwee say that pic was actually photoshopped- his face on his dad's body.
The hair on his forehead is a bit of a giveaway and I have read interviews with Sean Pertwee in my time.

I would loooove for the BBC to fill a gap year with specials starring recast classic Doctors and companions, possibly even remaking some of the missing 60s serials or Shada, with Sean as the Third Doctor, David Bradley as the first.
and someone incredibly grumpy as the 9th

also- are they still making Toast of London? I just caught up with the second season and someone there loves Doctor Who- It has Peter Davison playing himself in a few episodes and Louise Jameson in one.

"Steven, It's Clem H. Fandango. Can you hear me?'

mclem

I bought this: https://groupees.com/deusexmachina solely because Jon Pertwee is in it (the first one, wish it was on Steam but it's not)

Never even heard of it before.. anyone play it?

I've played the original Speccy version. It's an odd little experiment - the idea was to make the gaming equivalent of a concept album, and they've sort of managed it, but you have to go in with that mentality. There's nothing quite like it out there, at least!

O.k so we know:
1.The Doctor is in the box because why the fuck not.
2.No one is meeting is own ghost since Moffat said they could.

Really have no idea where this story is going.

Boem

My guesses: we'll probably meet the living version of that Victorian ghost and he'll probably be a nice guy given his species, it'll be less of a 'ghost thriller' than the previous episode, and the Doctor might be the one responsible for setting the entire ghost-business off in the first place.

Could go in a lot of directions. Love two-parters were the second part mostly feels like a mystery.

Tansut

I would loooove for the BBC to fill a gap year with specials starring recast classic Doctors and companions, possibly even remaking some of the missing 60s serials or Shada, with Sean as the Third Doctor, David Bradley as the first.
and someone incredibly grumpy as the 9th
What I think would be pretty cool is if we had a whole season of all the Doctors, one for each episode. I mean, we are on 12 now so the number is perfect for it.

I think it might be fun to reconstruct some of the partially or wholly lost early episodes. David Bradley's scenes as Hartnell's Doctor Who in Adventures in Space and Time gave us a glimpse of how well that could work.

Having said that, the BBC is probably going to concentrate on building the present day series with its high production values, much tighter storytelling and enormous audience draw. That's exactly where the money should be spent.

Boem

I think it might be fun to reconstruct some of the partially or wholly lost early episodes. David Bradley's scenes as Hartnell's Doctor Who in Adventures in Space and Time gave us a glimpse of how well that could work.

Having said that, the BBC is probably going to concentrate on building the present day series with its high production values, much tighter storytelling and enormous audience draw. That's exactly where the money should be spent.

Reconstructing lost episodes seems like the best thing ever for fans (and I would definitely do a little dance if it ever happens, as unlikely as it will be), but I don't think it would work a you would hope honestly. Either you do it exactly as it was back then, where it felt more like a live stage play in a way, or you modernize it in the sense that you punch up the presentation and pacing a bit. Whichever you choose, you'll never make everyone happy.

I think it's a smarter choice to just give those old Doctors completely new adventures, with modern production values, but still in the style of their old adventures. I don't think it'll happen anytime soon though. Probably for the 100 year anniversary (I'll be...76 then. I should start working on staying healthy I guess).

Nobody watching?

I hasn't started yet. Airs in an hour and a half as of this post.

Top Bottom