• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Rymuth

Like Rose, I'll be glad to be rid of the character but will wind up choking when the moment arrives.

Damn you and your feels, Doctor Who, damn you!

Thank god she's leaving, It's time for Clara to go anyway.

Like Rose, I'll be glad to be rid of the character but will wind up choking when the moment arrives.

Damn you and your feels, Doctor Who, damn you!

I felt like Rose should've stayed a bit longer, she was the best!

1. Rose
  2. Donna
  3. Amy
  4. Clara
  5. Martha

I hope Series 8 comes to UK Netflix soon ...

Soo, what's exactly going on with AMC and Doctor Who? Or is the BBC just wants Doctor Who to be syndicated everywhere?

BBC America is part of the AMC Networks family (with Sundance TV, IFC, WETvand of course, AMC). They actually did a simulcast of the Orphan Black season premiere on those networks and had a marathon of Rectify on AMC.

EDIT: Looking it up, BBCA isn't part of the "family" so to speak, but AMC owns a 49% stake in the company.

Tizoc

I enjoyed Clara but it is already time for her to leave, she's just too smart a companion.
Not that that's a bad thing but her shtick's gotten old, like they can be any situation and Clara would quickly figure out a plan to keep herself alive or to help the Doctor with.

Any rumours on when Moffat's leaving? I've kinda had my fill of his underwhelming story arcs. He hasn't written a great episode since "Day of the Moon" and that was 4 years ago.

I get the distinct feeling he's spreading himself too thin

I wouldn't mind a couple more season with Clara, I wish Moffat would of explored the character by herself a bit more before doing the all couple thing again.

I'm sad that Clara's leaving, she got me through the last season with a miserable sad sack for a Doctor.

Thank god she's leaving, It's time for Clara to go anyway.

I felt like Rose should've stayed a bit longer, she was the best!

1. Rose
  2. Donna
  3. Amy
  4. Clara
  5. Martha

I hope Series 8 comes to UK Netflix soon ...

Wow! Wooow!!! Hold up. I think you wrote your list upside down. Martha and Clara are fantastic. Amy was great too. Rose and Donna.... meh.

I feel pretty indifferent to Coleman leaving. I like her as an actress but I've found it quite hard to get attached to Clara and it feels like the show could do with another breath of fresh air.

Vibranium

Banned
Any rumours on when Moffat's leaving? I've kinda had my fill of his underwhelming story arcs. He hasn't written a great episode since "Day of the Moon" and that was 4 years ago.

I get the distinct feeling he's spreading himself too thin

Possibly after series 10 I think. I am excited to see what Moffat does after Doctor Who, besides Sherlock. Maybe then he can reopen his Twitter account again without facing the wrath of angry DW fans.

Wow! Wooow!!! Hold up. I think you wrote your list upside down. Martha and Clara are fantastic. Amy was great too. Rose and Donna.... meh.

Martha would be a lot better if she wasn't pining for the doctor all the time

or with mickey in the end of time lol

Donna is the best nuwho companion imo. Some good fire there.

Possibly after series 10 I think. I am excited to see what Moffat does after Doctor Who, besides Sherlock. Maybe then he can reopen his Twitter account again without facing the wrath of angry DW fans.

I hope he pitches in the odd ep afterwards, as I expect he'd turn out higher quality work without the showrunner responsibilities. It's been a bit disappointing that RTD hasn't done so (I know moffat asks him to all the time).

Welllllll......ace, ian, romana I, zoe, jamie....competition gets a bit harder with classic in the mix.

Slowdive

Banned
I like Clara but I don't mind her leaving at this point, if she had left last series then I would've been disappointed.

Boem

So I've seen The Doctor's Meditation. I won't go into spoilers, but I'll spoiler my impressions anyway for the people who really don't want to hear anything. I won't go into what happens, just what I thought of it:

It's pretty fun. The first prologue was fairly moody and mysterious, but this one is played mostly for laughs. I don't think it's essential viewing for the series - he hints at what his 'mission' is in the upcoming series (or at least the first episodes), but it's not a whole lot more than what's hinted at in the first prologue. It's mostly about the mindset the Doctor has before he's going to tackle whatever the problem is he needs to tackle, and that leads to some pretty funny moments.

Mostly it establishes how comfortable Capaldi is in the role now. It's obviously hard to judge from such a short piece, but he really owns the role now. If this is any indication to what we're going to get in the upcoming series, it's going to be a whopper. He seems like he's enjoying himself a lot, and he's just really, really good.

Plot speculation for people who've seen it:

I don't think the chalice (which was the same as McGann's in the short) has any real significance. As it looks right now it's just a reused prop, but who knows, he might have taken it with him from Karn for later use. But from what I understand (also from Brain of Morbius) it's not so much the Karn cups that are important, but what goes into them. We'll see I suppose.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 'enemy' that needs the Doctor is Davros, and the battlefield we see at the end is Skaro (and the beginning of the first episode, possibly). He mentions he 'failed' him though. I don't know what to make of that - maybe because he kept procrastinating instead of facing whatever he has to face? I can't think of anything morally wrong he has done against Davros in the past. He also mentions he's sick (or the Doctor is talking about two different people), so perhaps the Doctor knows he's responsible for whatever is wrong with Davros and whatever disfigured him (and therefore drove him insane as well?). Just wild speculation though. It's also interesting to note that, when the Doctor starts telling his story to Bors(?), the screen fades to the battlefield. I don't know if it's implied that that represents the Doctor telling the story of when he first arrved on the battlefield (therefore turning it into a flashback, possibly Tom Baker arriving in Genesis, or Hartnell in the first Dalek story, or just an untelevised Capaldi adventure), or the moment after the Doctor leaves that castle and actually goes to that battlefield again. It could mean that the first new episode already happened at the time of The Doctor's Meditation, and whatever he did there causes his need to meditate. (Probably not though).

Of course, it might not be Davros at all and I could be on the wrong track entirely.

Toby Whithouse's episodes feature alien races that he's previously introduced to Doctor Who and Torchwood, according to DWM.

Specifically, Paul Kaye is playing another one of the species that David Walliams' character in The God Complex, and there's also an Arcateenian from his Torchwood episode.

It's not really a spoiler, just a nice little detail. Whithouse seems to be carving himself out a nice little niche in the wider Whoniverse.

Oddly enough, this makes the Arcateenians the only alien race to have appeared in Doctor Who, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

So I've seen The Doctor's Meditation. I won't go into spoilers, but I'll spoiler my impressions anyway for the people who really don't want to hear anything. I won't go into what happens, just what I thought of it:

It's pretty fun. The first prologue was fairly moody and mysterious, but this one is played mostly for laughs. I don't think it's essential viewing for the series - he hints at what his 'mission' is in the upcoming series (or at least the first episodes), but it's not a whole lot more than what's hinted at in the first prologue. It's mostly about the mindset the Doctor has before he's going to tackle whatever the problem is he needs to tackle, and that leads to some pretty funny moments.

Mostly it establishes how comfortable Capaldi is in the role now. It's obviously hard to judge from such a short piece, but he really owns the role now. If this is any indication to what we're going to get in the upcoming series, it's going to be a whopper. He seems like he's enjoying himself a lot, and he's just really, really good.

Plot speculation for people who've seen it:

I don't think the chalice (which was the same as McGann's in the short) has any real significance. As it looks right now it's just a reused prop, but who knows, he might have taken it with him from Karn for later use. But from what I understand (also from Brain of Morbius) it's not so much the Karn cups that are important, but what goes into them. We'll see I suppose.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 'enemy' that needs the Doctor is Davros, and the battlefield we see at the end is Skaro (and the beginning of the first episode, possibly). He mentions he 'failed' him though. I don't know what to make of that - maybe because he kept procrastinating instead of facing whatever he has to face? I can't think of anything morally wrong he has done against Davros in the past. He also mentions he's sick (or the Doctor is talking about two different people), so perhaps the Doctor knows he's responsible for whatever is wrong with Davros and whatever disfigured him (and therefore drove him insane as well?). Just wild speculation though. It's also interesting to note that, when the Doctor starts telling his story to Bors(?), the screen fades to the battlefield. I don't know if it's implied that that represents the Doctor telling the story of when he first arrved on the battlefield (therefore turning it into a flashback, possibly Tom Baker arriving in Genesis, or Hartnell in the first Dalek story, or just an untelevised Capaldi adventure), or the moment after the Doctor leaves that castle and actually goes to that battlefield again. It could mean that the first new episode already happened at the time of The Doctor's Meditation, and whatever he did there causes his need to meditate. (Probably not though).

Of course, it might not be Davros at all and I could be on the wrong track entirely.

RE 'Morally Wrong':
He could view his failure to stop him or turn him away from evil as failing him, which would be a typically Doctor thing, but beyond that he did also basically kill him in cold blood the last time they met. Sort of. Or, rather... his hand did.

Boem

RE 'Morally Wrong':
He could view his failure to stop him or turn him away from evil as failing him, which would be a typically Doctor thing, but beyond that he did also basically kill him in cold blood the last time they met. Sort of. Or, rather... his hand did.

I think you're close to what they're going for (although he 'killed' him (or allowed him to die) numerous times in the classic series, but they'll probably go for the Tennant story as that's the most recent). We know that, generally speaking, the Doctor doesn't believe Daleks are capable of being good, and that Tom Baker's dilemma at the end of Genesis was more about how much right he had to have that much power. Even though we've had a couple of stories with Daleks who show some capacity for change (which always ends badly), I think he knows he can't change them. They're purely bred for hatred. I don't remember all the details of all the different Davros stories, but I don't think he's ever given Davros the same chance. Don't forget, from the prologue: "An enemy is just a friend you haven't met yet."

If those old rumors that the story will echo Genesis are true, I think that's the direction they're going. Davros himself isn't a Dalek after all, he's still human (well, sort of). You can still reason with him, even though he's batshit insane. Especially if you catch him at a moment in his life before his accident, whatever it was.

I should add that I don't know what Big Finish's backstory for Davros was, but I can imagine the main show overwriting that if they've got other ideas.

Trike

Saw the finale in theaters last night, it was pretty awesome to see Doctor Who on the big screen again. Saw it with a friend who had only seen up to In the Forest of the Night, so the Doctor Who trivia was filled with spoilers for the episode and I had to play spoiler shield.

The Doctor's Meditation got a lot of laughs. The interview with Will Wheaton was... weird? I haven't seen Will Wheaton in pretty much anything, and he came off as kinda creepy in the interview. Not really any new info from the interview that I saw. Except that Capaldi loves pancakes to a dangerous degree.

One of Big Finish's upcoming Torchwood audios follows Yvonne Hartman from Army of Ghosts/ Doomsday as she visits Torchwood Cardiff and tries to avoid being sucked into their idiocy. Can't wait for that one.

Collection of the stuff from the latest DWM here: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/more-details-on-series-9s-first-four-episodes-76036.htm Go buy the magazine etc etc.

My favourite part:
The Doctor is ”uncomfortably aware” that Clara is enjoying herself too. The story continues to underline the effect which Danny’s death has had on her. There’s a sense that ”the handbrake is off” for her.

That's exactly where I hoped they'd go with Clara / a companion generally. They kinda teased at it with Rose but that just ended up being horrible smugness. A self-destructive companion that will probably end up getting herself killed is kinda awesome.

Throughout DWM, they're hyping up Colony Sarff a lot, in a variety of different features. The synopis of TMA/TWF focuses on him, and he's heavily teased in the features about the costumes and the prosthetics of series 9.

It's almost as if he's a distraction for someone else...

It's a follow-on piece from the 'I'll go to him. But not yet. I'm going to hang around... for a bit' line from the first prequel.

It does link into how the first episode plays out, however...

Jenna's role in Victoria has just been confirmed.

She's about to be interviewed on Radio 1, so we may get a confirmation she's off sooner rather than later.

Jenna Coleman is leaving Doctor Who.

Hardly a huge surprise, and it's hard to argue she wasn't given her time, but I'll miss her when she's gone. Her chemistry with Capaldi was one of last season's highlights, and full credit should be given to her for finding her way out of what was originally an underwritten and contradictory character.

So they're being cagey about when she leaves. Late in the series plot, dies before the finale or something, or just plain misdirection? There was rumblings she wasn't at as much filming of episodes...

Boem

Good for her, happy she got a (seemingly) good role immediately lined up. It took a while for her to find her place in the show, but that wasn't entirely her fault. She had to follow the Amy/Rory duo, which was iconic for Smith's era, and her early stories were overshadowed by the mystery of who she was, which made it hard for viewers to understand why or if we should care about her. She really started to own the role with Capaldi, in almost the same way as Sarah Jane did in the jump from Pertwee to Baker. Not unintentional, I think - she was written very much like a modern Sarah Jane at times.

I know a lot of people here weren't a fan of it, but her arc with Danny was one of my favorite arcs on the show. Very good stuff. It fit Jenna, who, while distractingly pretty, always has something 'sad' behind her eyes, as my girlfriend put it.

She did great. Very curious to see what we'll get next. It's hard to come up with companions - if you put all of them together, most of them just seem to be 20-something girls from the present. The more you do it, the harder it gets to make that interesting. Time for the modern version of a character like Leela? I'm all for a male companion, but it might turn the show in too much of a sausage fest.

Mariolee

Aren't there like tons of Claras out there though? Odds are we'll run into her again right? :D

I've loved Clara this past season.

Rewatching The Stolen Earth/ Journey's End today, and Christ, I'd forgotten how good The Stolen Earth was. From start to finish, the whole thing just flies.

Looking forward to seeing how Moffat handles the big returning character- I've long wanted to see the Shadow Architect again.

Who did you think I was talking about?

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'm just hoping the new companion won't be so...Moffat-y? I hope he can write them to not be as Know-it-all as Clara was.

Essentially I want someone who doesn't slap the Doctor.

I also hope they keep the new companion under wraps for as long as possible, big ask, but it would be nice to be surprised again.

If Clara IS leaving before the finale, that would be an excellent time to introduce a new companion. It'd mean that they'd have already started filming, but judging by Andy Pryor's comments they've already cast someone.

Top Bottom