• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

mclem

I'm overthinking this, I know, but... first, a reminder of yesterday's thoughts:

Part of me wonders if we've not had the whole story here. The 30 minute timeskip backwards wasn't used as much as I was expecting, although we can assume it gave them longer to put the plan in place and explore the 'you can't save her' bit of the story. Which makes me wonder if either we've got another 11's coat situation - so we might revisit this time once again - or it might tie in with Clara's exit, maybe we'll have a period of time when the Doctor knows she's doomed in some way but can't do anything to change it - and she's oblivious.

Was it established quite why the Tardis didn't want to hang around at the station? I thought at first it's because there were two Doctors there - one arriving, one in the suspended animation coffin, which makes sense - except instead it takes him back where he came from thirty minutes earlier, which was *also* a point in time where the Doctor is there twice. So... I dunno.

It could be an oversight, but I'm not sure, my gut's saying there's more to this.

So, I got thinking further. The Doctor actively tried to get O'Donnell to stay in the TARDIS. She refused, and died. Why ask O'Donnell to stay behind, and not Bennett (Particularly given that Bennett's the more visibly nervous about the situation), or indeed no-one? He's not usually given to that sort of caution. Did the Doctor know something?

Dryk

So, I got thinking further. The Doctor actively tried to get O'Donnell to stay in the TARDIS. She refused, and died. Why ask O'Donnell to stay behind, and not Bennett (Particularly given that Bennett's the more visibly nervous about the situation), or indeed no-one? He's not usually given to that sort of caution. Did the Doctor know something?
He had already figured out that the list meant she was next

Boem

So here's an interesting quote from the Big Finish FAQ (http://www.bigfinish.com/pages/v/faqs)

Will Peter Capaldi be appearing as the Twelfth Doctor in any Big Finish releases?

Our licence to produce content based on Doctor Who includes storylines and characters up to and including Matt Smith's final appearance in The Time of the Doctor. Therefore, we are unfortunately not able to invite Peter to appear as the Twelfth Doctor at the present time.

So there's already a strong rumor that they got Tennant, and this seems to suggests they would be able to get Matt as well. Good to have an official idea of what Big Finish is allowed to use.

There's also this quote that again states earlier restrictions have been lifted:

Will Big Finish be producing plays based on the current TV series of Doctor Who?

Until 2015, Big Finish releases were drawn from the worlds of 'Classic' Doctor Who, featuring the first eight Doctors and their companions. This restriction has now been lifted, and we have a number of projects in development based around the 'New' series. Characters featured include:

River Song in Doctor Who: The Diary of River Song and Doom Coalition 2
Kate Stewart and her UNIT team in UNIT: The New Series
Winston Churchill in Doctor Who: The Churchill Years
Strax the Sontaran in Jago & Litefoot & Strax
The Weeping Angels, the Judoon and the Sycorax in Doctor Who: Classic Doctors, New Monsters
And there are more releases to come!

Great episode. I tend to prefer the episodes that have a bit of classic feel to them, and this felt like it could have been a four parter back in the day. Only stuff I wasn't a HUGE fan of was the speeches by the Doctor. Felt a bit too on the nose. I wouldn't be surprised if they were added later. Also still not sure how I feel about the rocker doctor. Still hate the glasses.

OTOH Clara keeps getting better. She's still not one of my favorites, but she has come a LONG way from where she was in S7. Then again, I've noticed that boring characters tend to get a lot better once the writing staff knows that they are leaving for sure.

So here's an interesting quote from the Big Finish FAQ (http://www.bigfinish.com/pages/v/faqs)

So there's already a strong rumor that they got Tennant, and this seems to suggests they would be able to get Matt as well. Good to have an official idea of what Big Finish is allowed to use.

There's also this quote that again states earlier restrictions have been lifted:

Doom Coalition 1 just came out today, I'm about halfway through episode 1, interesting concept so far, though I will be honest and say I do miss the more episodic Eight stuff, but looks like we won't be getting that for at least a couple of years.

Wow that's huge. Nice confirmation that they pretty much full access to the majority of New Who. It does feel like everything they've announced so far is 'Wave 1' and then Tennant/Tate and other stuff will be 'Wave 2'. And then maybe Smith and I guess Gillan would be some way far off 'Wave 3'.

I'd love them to do something about the alliance of baddies in Pandorica Opens. Or some more Shadow Proclamation stuff. I think the new series has a habit of setting up these big organisations that Big Finish could totally delve into.

Oh and just to be pedantic Big Finish, Capaldi was in Day of the Doctor so you can totally use him ;)

It's worth keeping in mind that the Big Finish license doesn't necessarily mean they'll do everything they're allowed to - for instance, they weren't specifically disallowed to do new Who stuff until 2007 when the contract was renegotiated, but they had an agreement with RTD and people to not touch their stuff (mainly because when the BBC wanted to terminate their contract, RTD made them leave it alone) - so it could very well be the case they've been renegotiated up to Smith in a long-term deal but they've agreed to not use certain things yet with Moffat and the team, thus the seeming focus on mostly RTD era stuff for now.

mclem

It's worth keeping in mind that the Big Finish license doesn't necessarily mean they'll do everything they're allowed to - for instance, they weren't specifically disallowed to do new Who stuff until 2007 when the contract was renegotiated, but they had an agreement with RTD and people to not touch their stuff (mainly because when the BBC wanted to terminate their contract, RTD made them leave it alone) - so it could very well be the case they've been renegotiated up to Smith in a long-term deal but they've agreed to not use certain things yet with Moffat and the team, thus the seeming focus on mostly RTD era stuff for now.

Isn't almost everything actually announced - River Song, Strax, Winston Churchill, (modern) Kate Stewart, War Doctor - from the Moffat era? (Okay, River Song's strictly speaking from the RTD era, but she's very much Moffat's baby. It's only really the New Monsters who are RTD's)

Boem

Most of the 'NewWho' stuff so far is actually from the Moffat era though (War Doctor, Strax, Churchill, River, Angels, Kate Stewart & Osgood's version of Unit from Moffat's era versus the Judoon and the Sycorax from RTD's era (EDIT: And Torchwood, forgot that one for a second)), although the big get is obviously going to be Tennant himself if that turns out to be true (and it probably will be - Blogtor can be an odd guy but he is definitely connected). But I get what you're saying, it wouldn't surprise me if Moffat will ask them to hold of on actually using Smith until Capaldi is done or at least a bit more established as 'the Doctor' instead of 'the new Doctor'.

Isn't almost everything actually announced - River Song, Strax, Winston Churchill, (modern) Kate Stewart, War Doctor - from the Moffat era? (Okay, River Song's strictly speaking from the RTD era, but she's very much Moffat's baby. It's only really the New Monsters who are RTD's)

Most of the 'NewWho' stuff so far is actually from the Moffat era though (War Doctor, Strax, Churchill, River, Angels, Kate Stewart & Osgood's version of Unit from Moffat's era versus the Judoon and the Sycorax from RTD's era (EDIT: And Torchwood, forgot that one for a second)), although the big get is obviously going to be Tennant himself if that turns out to be true (and it probably will be - Blogtor can be an odd guy but he is definitely connected). But I get what you're saying, it wouldn't surprise me if Moffat will ask them to hold of on actually using Smith until Capaldi is done or at least a bit more established as 'the Doctor' instead of 'the new Doctor'.

Well, I mean larger stuff, generally. As I understand it the Kate stuff will actually bridge some of RTD-era UNIT in, but those are all side stories for the most part; the Churchill story, the Strax story, the Kate stuff - whereas the stuff that appears to be evolving into bigger series' are Torchwood, the New Monsters/Classic Doctors, and the Time War stuff (While the War Doctor is recent, of course most of the lore they'll be diving into is from dialogue in RTD's era). And the River stuff is her interacting with older Doctors now, which is cool. Most of the Churchill story, incidentally, is set in the RTD era, as two thirds of it are about his encounters with the 9th and 10th Doctors.

All I mean by my comments, basically, is that I don't expect we'll actually see Smith and Gillan for a while as far as Big Finish goes.

Boem

Well, I mean larger stuff, generally. As I understand it the Kate stuff will actually bridge some of RTD-era UNIT in, but those are all side stories for the most part; the Churchill story, the Strax story, the Kate stuff - whereas the stuff that appears to be evolving into bigger series' are Torchwood, the New Monsters/Classic Doctors, and the Time War stuff (While the War Doctor is recent, of course most of the lore they'll be diving into is from dialogue in RTD's era). And the River stuff is her interacting with older Doctors now, which is cool. Most of the Churchill story, incidentally, is set in the RTD era, as two thirds of it are about his encounters with the 9th and 10th Doctors.

All I mean by my comments, basically, is that I don't expect we'll actually see Smith and Gillan for a while as far as Big Finish goes.

Well, I don't really see how New Monsters is considered 'larger' than those other shows by that definition, or why even if they reference some RTD-lines the Unit/War Doctor stuff would be considered more RTD than Moffat (outside of some comments with random names for events in the RTD era, most of the actual information we have about the Time War comes from the Moffat-era, and it was Moffat who originally came up with the concept of a Time War that wiped out the Timelords bridging the gap between the classic and modern series as well - although it was RTD who wrote most of that early characterization of course - and I'm sure Unit will reference classic, third Doctor era Unit as well, but that won't make it a Third Doctor story). I think especially Unit, War Doctor and River have as much of a chance of continuing after their initial batch of episodes as Torchwood really. That still leaves 5 full boxsets and 1 standalone Moffat adventure versus 1 full boxset and 2 standalone RTD adventures. But all that is just arguing semantics of course.

But yeah, I don't disagree with the idea that it will probably take a while until we get Matt Smith. Even if Moffat didn't specifically ask for it, it would just make sense for Big Finish - announce some smaller, side-character stuff first, then War Doctor, then Tennant, then Smith. Don't show all your cards at once, and all that. It is worth noting that Big Finish is now recording episodes for characters we know will turn up again - most notably Osgood/Stewart and River. That's a big step for them.

Random guess: we'll start getting Smith stories roughly one year after the Tennant series starts.
Easy prediction: we'll get a boxset about Smith travelling with River as his sole companion. Lots of dates we never saw.

Edit: Oh yeah, I believe they already confirmed River won't actually interact with any of the classic Doctors, even in that announced McGann/River story. They're in the same story, they just don't run into each other - River can be aware of the Doctor but not the other way around. After all, from the Doctor's perspective the first time he encountered River was as Tennant. It's basically the same approach they had in some of the spinoff books with River and older Doctors (as well as those diary unlockables in that Matt Smith game).

Razmos

I just realized that in Before the Flood, the Doctor's Hologram opens the faraday cage, releases the ghosts and puts Clara and the others in danger, why?

The "How" i'm going to assume is because the hologram can access the bases functions, but it just seems weird.

I just realized that in Before the Flood, the Doctor's Hologram opens the faraday cage, releases the ghosts and puts Clara and the others in danger, why?

The "How" i'm going to assume is because the hologram can access the bases functions, but it just seems weird.

They needed to leave the Faraday Cage so that the hologram could get into position to trap them later. I guess.

Obviously dangerous to Clara and the rest, but that's 12 for you.

The kind of cheating answer is: because the Doctor saw it do that, so he had to program it to do that.

But yeah, not entirely sure what the point of that was aside from that. I guess maybe it had to be open because there would have been one more ghost later on which needed to be trapped too.

tuffy

They needed to leave the Faraday Cage so that the hologram could get into position to trap them later. I guess.

It was also important for Clara to actually be in danger - along with her name being next on the list to die - to spur the Doctor to confront the Fisher King.

Ophelion

I'm pretty sure the Fisher King said something about the ghosts opening the suspended animation chamber in the middle of his gloating. So, the Doctor tricks the Fisher King while blowing up the dam, kills the badguy, programs the sonic shades to produce the hologram of his ghost in the present to tell him the message he needs to get to this point and also free the ghosts. Then he pops out of the chamber right on schedule and gets the hologram to pull double duty in trapping the ghosts back in the faraday cage.

Or, as the Doctor calls it, Tuesday.

D_prOdigy

The one thing that bothered me was: why did O'Donnell's ghost only appear on the base after we the audience had seen her die in 1980? That's a bit convenient, isn't it? Wouldn't her ghost have been milling around since the start just like the undertaker?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I have to say this, the first 4 episodes of this series is freaking amazing. Capaldi is finally making the doctor his own, with a nice punk rock edge. This is on track to be the best new who season, bar none.

My only quibble is o donnell would have been a godly companion, I wish they kept her alive so she would replace Clara.

Razmos

The one thing that bothered me was: why did O'Donnell's ghost only appear on the base after we the audience had seen her die in 1980? That's a bit convenient, isn't it? Wouldn't her ghost have been milling around since the start just like the undertaker?
urh... wibbly wobbly timey wimey?

I'm confused why she didn't turn into a ghost back in 1980 while the Doctor and Bennett were there. She'd already seen the writing, same with Prentis. Would have been interesting to see how much control The Fisher King had over the ghosts.

Generally speaking, things happen according to the Doctor's timeline. So technically O'Donnell's ghost doesn't exist until the Doctor intervenes, takes her back in time and gets her killed. For example even if the Doctor had never turned up, Prentis would always have died. Therefore his ghost is there from the beginning. Theres probably some deep, scientific explanation about how certain aspects in time aren't fixed until they definitively occur but...eh.

Saying all that, for a show about time travel Doctor Who rarely sticks to one set of rules. Basically if it serves the story, it will work the way the writer wants it to.

Kurdel

Banned
Didn't like the execution of the Fisher King's costume.

He looked like he could be toppled over pretty easily, because of his skirt and how slow he was.

But still, great monster design with the ghosts business.

zeemumu

Why didn't the fisher king just strong-arm Prentice into flying the hearse to his planet to get the armada instead of a long drawn out plan to use ghosts to do it? I don't think the Doctor stole the power cell until afterm Prentice died so why kill him and wait for rescue instead of leaving himself?

He had the coords and a presumably still working ship. What was the point of the ghosts?

Ophelion

The out of universe reason is because the story would be narratively unsatisfying if her ghost existed from the beginning and would give the game away too soon.

The in universe explanation is "Something, something 'Time Can be Rewritten' something, something."

I'll take a stab at some metaphysical mumbo jumbo: free will clearly exists in the whoniverse. After all, you'd hardly need to discuss fixed points in time at all if it was a deterministic universe. So, that means there had to have been possible futures where O'Donnell didn't get on the TARDIS at all, possible futures where she listens to the Doctor and stays behind, maybe even possible futures where she doesn't make the choice to get split up and gets killed.

So, maybe changes made to the past aren't manifested until all those possibilities can be resolved.

Although, I still don't know why she wouldn't pop up at the exact same time as the Doctor's fake ghost. These events are not literally resolving at the same time. Though, for all I know her ghost was roaming the halls of the base from the moment the TARDIS left and they just didn't run into it until a dramatically appropriate moment.

GulAtiCa

Isn't it because they are not actually words, but brain codes or whatever. Tardis wouldn't really be able to translate a concept/idea.

M.Bluth

Was it ever explained why the tardis couldn't translate the words or sign language?

The Doctor specifically said they're not actual words but rather magnets that imprint the coordinates they repeat.

As for the sign language, I'm not sure if the TARDIS translates that.

Ophelion

The Doctor specifically said they're not actual words but rather magnets that imprint the coordinates they repeat.

I can't think of an in universe reason why she couldn't translate it for them, but every time I think about them doing it that way it feels like the wrong way to go. I'm not sure why.

Chille

Considering the Tardis can translate baby talk, it is kind of strange it can't translate sign language.

Why didn't the fisher king just strong-arm Prentice into flying the hearse to his planet to get the armada instead of a long drawn out plan to use ghosts to do it? I don't think the Doctor stole the power cell until afterm Prentice died so why kill him and wait for rescue instead of leaving himself?

He had the coords and a presumably still working ship. What was the point of the ghosts?

I mentioned this earlier. Just having the ship crash would have given him a reason, as written his plan seems pointless.

M.Bluth

I can't think of an in universe reason why she couldn't translate it for them, but every time I think about them doing it that way it feels like the wrong way to go. I'm not sure why.

Considering the Tardis can translate baby talk, it is kind of strange it can't translate sign language.

Maybe the person needs to know ANY sign language for them to understand...?
I believe the Doctor said that his knowledge of sign language was deleted and thus he won't understand it even if the TARDIS did translate. Kinda like how if a person can't read, it doesn't matter if the TARDIS translated written words for them or not.

tomtom94

I suspect the answer is "because Whithouse thought it was funnier", but if you want an in-universe explanation that's a decent one too.

M.Bluth

I suspect the answer is "because Whithouse thought it was funnier", but if you want an in-universe explanation that's a decent one too.

It is an interesting question, one the answer to might be available to more versed fans of DW.
Sign language is a different way of communicating to written or voiced words. So, if we take it away from whatever reasoning is given in this episode and instead think of it as rules that should be in place (rules the show, admittedly, will ignore), then what are the limits to the TARDIS translation circuit?

Fireblend

Banned
Well, what the TARDIS' translation matrix seems to do is take the message and reproduce it in an understandable way to the receiver through the same medium it was transmitted through. So, for voice, it will take the sounds and modify them so they're understandable to the listener, but the tone, pacing, etc will sound like whatever was originally producing the sound. Same for written text; it could be carvings or a neon sign, the TARDIS will take the message and reproduce it in that same medium in a way the receiver can understand.

In the case of sign language, it could be argued that since there's no universal sign language that either Clara or the Doctor could understand, the TARDIS didn't even try to manipulate the signs since there was no way to transmit an understandable message through that particular medium to either receiver. So, in general, if someone isn't versed in any language transmitted through a given medium, the TARDIS will not translate any message sent through that medium for them.

Generally speaking, things happen according to the Doctor's timeline. So technically O'Donnell's ghost doesn't exist until the Doctor intervenes, takes her back in time and gets her killed. For example even if the Doctor had never turned up, Prentis would always have died. Therefore his ghost is there from the beginning. Theres probably some deep, scientific explanation about how certain aspects in time aren't fixed until they definitively occur but...eh.

Saying all that, for a show about time travel Doctor Who rarely sticks to one set of rules. Basically if it serves the story, it will work the way the writer wants it to.

Schrodinger's Cat maybe? Since things happen according to The Doctor's timeline, she's both Alive and Dead (or neither Alive nor Dead) until it happens for The Doctor?

hamchan

Really liked that two-parter. Whithouse did well.

Also liked that they reminded us again that this Doctor doesn't give a shit about randoms dying.

Trike

I may be remembering the details wrong, but wasn't the Fisher King's species no longer in control of Prentice's planet? They had to dump him on a barren planet as per burial traditions or whatever, so maybe he faked his death as a ploy to conquer a new planet. The new conquerers of Prentice's planet could have been able to track the hearse, thus the need for creating a signal. Or maybe it wouldn't be able to reach the planet.

Boem

early spoiler free reviews for The Girl Who Died sound fantastic, ridiculously hyped

Not reading the reviews, but watching the trailer at the end of the episode my girlfriend (who's really enjoying the show and started watching it with Capaldi's first season) just sighed and said "..oh god, it's going to be another Robin Hood episode isn't it".

We actually liked that one a lot at the time, but mostly because we just came back pretty drunk from a party when we watched. We mostly laughed at the ridiculousness of it and couldn't stop doing the 'haHA!'-merry men-laughs.

I like that it took just a little over one season for my girlfriend to become a cynical fan.

I'm keeping an open mind as always though. Might get drunk again just to be sure we'll enjoy it.

Razmos

The next time trailer makes me cringe.

"Yaaargh, we are VIKINGS"
They act like pantomime characters

Hold up, having said that.. the spoiler free reviews are kinda hinting at something there. (a bit weird spoilering a spoiler free review, but hey)
They mention anachronisms like leather bound books and the vikings having horns on their helmets and how stereotypical they seem, and then another spoiler free review mentions "The vikings are crap" and "The giant monster is rubbish" and that that isn't entirely their own opinion and that a character actually expresses one or both of those views, which suggests to me that perhaps they aren't real vikings and the Doctor catches on.

Also, curious:
"A linking theme to the season is definitively developing. There’s a word that keeps being used over and over. "
Is it Death?

Boem

Also, curious:
"A linking theme to the season is definitively developing. There’s a word that keeps being used over and over. "
Is it Death?

From the first two stories the only things that leapt out for me as possibly hinting at a season arc were the suicide moons in episode 1, and the War Minister in episode 4. The latter might be the War Lord from Throughton's The War Games (
it won't be, I know
)

tomtom94

I really didn't like the next time trailer for the next episode, for some reason. Hoping it manages to surprise me, but I got the same feeling as Robot of Sherwood: "Look! They're vikings! That's wacky! You should be excited!"

Also, curious:
Is it Death?

That would be very cheap, so I hope it's something else, like the suicide moons.

EDIT: Admittedly the title of the final two-parter is not helping my case.

The trailer didn't make it seem like the most interesting episode ever, but the writers on it, and the more interesting seeming connection between the next two episodes make me more interested.

A synopsis of the final two parter I read mentioned the
Doctor's confession dial being revealed, I think death being a part again is a safe bet.

Magwik

Banned
I think that the Doctors death or at least part of It means he has to face the time lords or return to Gallifrey for some reason. Especially with all of these mentions of death yet no regeneration mention. Just my speculation.

Boem

One thing that I thought of when they talked about the Doctor's confession dial in the opening episodes: I can buy that he would send it to Missy, given their history and the fact that she's the only Timelord left (wait a minute, does that mean the Doctor knew she survived the finale last year?). But if it's really the last will and testament of the Doctor, wouldn't it make a lot of sense if he left his inheritance to his only living family that we know of: Susan?

Sure, we don't know for sure if Susan is still supposed to be alive in the context of the television show, but we never heard anything from her after she left the series in Dalek Invasion of Earth (she was in the Five Doctors, but that took place earlier from her perspective, and I'm not counting the Big Finish/Novel stuff mostly because I'm not familiar with it, although I know at least McGann met her). The Doctor always referred to himself as 'the Last of the Timelords' before the 50th anniversary, so perhaps that means Susan died/went back to Gallifrey at some point. Susan wasn't a Timelord/lady yet though - just Gallifreyan as far as we know.

For the record: I don't think Susan will be back and I don't think Arya Stark is playing Susan - but it would make sense if we're talking about the Doctor's last will and testament. Something to think about.

I think that the Doctors death or at least part of It means he has to face the time lords or return to Gallifrey for some reason. Especially with all of these mentions of death yet no regeneration mention. Just my speculation.

I don't remember if they referred to Matt Smith getting another regeneration from the Timelords as a single regeneration or a full set (if they mentioned anything about it at all), but the Doctor referred to his current regeneration as 'a bit of a clerical error' in the last episode.

Logically, the Doctor will be able to regenerate forever because there wouldn't be a show otherwise. But I think the implication is that the Doctor himself isn't sure if he'll regenerate again after dying this time.

tuffy

I don't remember if they referred to Matt Smith getting another regeneration from the Timelords as a single regeneration or a full set (if they mentioned anything about it at all), but the Doctor referred to his current regeneration as 'a bit of a clerical error' in the last episode.
I'm positive the Time Lords explicitly provided an entirely new set of regenerations. The whole point seemed to be to tie up that bit of regeneration limit continuity early so that the showrunners wouldn't have to come up with a fresh "out" for every new Doctor for awhile.
Logically, the Doctor will be able to regenerate forever because there wouldn't be a show otherwise. But I think the implication is that the Doctor himself isn't sure if he'll regenerate again after dying this time.
It's possible, but it'd be odd to run through another "the Doctor is going to be killed by something" storyline so soon after the last one.

Top Bottom