• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

JoeM86

Decent enough, but felt a bit "set-up"ish for something far bigger than the episode.

Plus it had a joke I couldn't believe would go into Doctor Who haha

Wonder if Maisie will be in Class. Towards the end I almost thought that's what they were setting up. I feel like this series will at least have something that ties into that show, considering that both Sarah Jane and Torchwood had strong routes in Doctor Who.

Decent enough episode overall. Wasn't a fan of the heist scene, and I felt it jumped around a bit in the earlier half. I was going to complain about the puns, but the final scene in the pub redeemed that.

Ozium

Really enjoyed this episode, Maisie William's was really good and the banter between the Doctor, her and other townies was quite well executed imo. It moved at a pretty swift pace and even the climax, while telegraphed, actually made sense within the context and wasn't a "oh let's come up with someone out of the blue" chekhov's gun was actually fired for once.

I even felt the moment in the tavern after the climax felt genuine rather than the usual ham-fisted way a Moffat written scene would go.

I hope she is revisted in future episodes in different eras.

the complete lack of Clara probably helped my enjoyment as well.

MouldyK

amazing episode. easily the best this series. Hopefully Swift is immortal

He became Editor for The Sun I believe what with his puns:

the-sun-cleary.jpg

Shiggy

Worst episode of the new season until now. There just wasn't anything happening. At least the ending was kinda neat when Clara came back. Now I really hope that she's not gonna drop out mid-season.

Weird he mentioned Jack who travelled with him for five minutes and not Romana or Susan who travelled with him for god knows how long

episode itself was below average. would probably never watch it again

D_prOdigy

Felt like a bit of a slow burner and Maisie was great.

Didn't really buy into Lion Man and thought the climactic confrontation at the end was a bit rushed.

So have they un-killed
Osgood
now

Kyari

Weird he mentioned Jack who travelled with him for five minutes and not Romana or Susan who travelled with him for god knows how long

episode itself was below average. would probably never watch it again

They tend to avoid referencing anything pre-relaunch because its (in theory) a childrens show.

Razmos

Plus it had a joke I couldn't believe would go into Doctor Who haha
I know right, lol, that was a bit racy. The one episode that finally references Captain Jack has a dick joke in it, coincidence? :p

Anyway, I thought this episode was very good. Slow in some respects, but I LOVED Maisey in this episode, she really nailed just how cold and distant Ashildyr had become, and the idea of the "leftovers" that the Doctor leaves behind is really interesting, and I love the idea of her being ever present in the Doctor's story on Earth, she's always behind the scenes clearing up messes, helping people move on from him.

Good lord all the Clara death foreshadowing though. That final scene with Clara hugging him, they are really going to make this brutal aren't they?
Not long to go now :/

JoeM86

Anyway, I thought this episode was very good. Slow in some respects, but I LOVED Maisey in this episode, she really nailed just how cold and distant Ashildyr had become, and the idea of the "leftovers" that the Doctor leaves behind is really interesting, and I love the idea of her being ever present in the Doctor's story on Earth, she's always behind the scenes clearing up messes, helping people move on from him.

Thing is, the discussion about friend or enemy at the end makes the whole thing a bit more ominous, especially considering Missy's description of her relationship with the Doctor.

Probably because Jack is the only immortal "human" he has traveled with.

Not like the perspective changes much though

They tend to avoid referencing anything pre-relaunch because its (in theory) a childrens show.

It's a throwaway line though, and nuwho has always been happy to reference classic who (unless capn jack's coming back, but even if he is it's even more reason to throw other names in as well to muddy things).

MrHoot

Was an alright episode. Slow burner like someone else said. I like it when someone puts into light how bullshit the doc's morality really is sometimes.

The season so far could be categorized the same as well: alright. Nothing of note really, with only something kinda memorable on the first 2 eps (with the first being super rushed and weird, second one being a bit better but ultimately of no consequence for now). There's obviously the build-up for clara's departure but I didn't have my "Flatline/Orient express/Listen" moment of last season yet

Magwik

Banned
I'm actually enjoying the focus of this season being more on the characters side than bombastic plot side. It's definitely a nice change of pace for me.

I liked this one. Not as good as last weeks I think, but still a fun ride. I think the lack of Clara helped give this one a breath of fresh air and Williams put in a great performance which really contrasted with her (also great) performance last week. The villain was okay (actually somewhat threatening for once!) but his exit seemed like the writers struggling to find a good way to get rid of him. His entrance on the other hand when he and the Doctor meet was great. I enjoyed the talk the Doctor and Williams' character had after the climax (Cap'n Jack reference and all!) and it really does seem like Williams will be back in some form later on (is she this mysterious War Minister?) Just a solid episode that continues a streak of quality for me.

Next weeks gives me The Posion Sky vibes with the Zygons in place of the Sontarans. I loved that two parter so I'm hoping this will be similar in vein to that one. It's also interesting that it seems to take place before last seasons finale with Osgood being alive and well.

I enjoyed that a lot. Slow as hell, yeah, and the alien plot was throwaway, but Capaldi and Williams sold the hell out of it, and I actually liked Rufus Hound. OUTRAGEOUS knob gag, mind.

Apparently
Sarah Dollard announced that Maisie will be back in Face The Raven at MCM today.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Apparently
Sarah Dollard announced that Maisie will be back in Face The Raven at MCM today.

I hope this is true.

Someone mentioned earlier that this was essentially "Guilt Trip: The Episode", and in a way, I'm glad. It's something that should be brought up more often, not necessarily every episode. I'm glad this aired after the last episode, whereas it could have easily been stuck elsewhere in the season.

Clara's absence was nice too, we've had Doctor-lite episode, it was nice to have a companion-lite episode (Midnight was a belter of an episode too).

The dick joke was great too, Rufus Hound looked like he was having fun.

I can see why people will hate this though, regarding the villain. Maisie did great.

Ozium

she really nailed just how cold and distant Ashildyr had become, and the idea of the "leftovers" that the Doctor leaves behind is really interesting, and I love the idea of her being ever present in the Doctor's story on Earth, she's always behind the scenes clearing up messes,

Skull_Face.png

even dresses the same

Someone mentioned earlier that this was essentially "Guilt Trip: The Episode", and in a way, I'm glad. It's something that should be brought up more often, not necessarily every episode. I'm glad this aired after the last episode, whereas it could have easily been stuck elsewhere in the season.

Guilt trip kinda rings hollow with ashildr since she provoked the second fight last ep though

I'd have preferred they did this with someone totally blameless, it'd have had more impact

Magwik

Banned
I enjoyed that a lot. Slow as hell, yeah, and the alien plot was throwaway, but Capaldi and Williams sold the hell out of it, and I actually liked Rufus Hound. OUTRAGEOUS knob gag, mind.

Apparently
Someone else said that
Clara dies in that same episode. Where did that even come from?
Edit: you know this would be a great chance to bring back Torchwood and it would get a lot more people interested in the show with Maisie around but both her and Barrowman are regulars on other shows which fucking sucks

Apparently

Interesting.
That's the one with Rigsy back too.

Someone else said that

Probably joking based on the premise:
"The Doctor and Clara, with their old friend Rigsy, find themselves in a secret alien world, folded away among the streets of London. Not all of them will get out alive"

One thing I really didn't like this episode was that transition effect they used for the flashbacks.

VAD

Worst episode so far, yes. It was boring and the lion man's plot was terrible. I like the recent trend of referencing the RTD era.

I'm definitely back on that old Series 7 theory, by the way- Clara's already dead from the Doctor's perspective, and we're going back before her death at the end of the series.

infi

I quite enjoyed this episode, nothing amazing but enjoyable. The immortal girl seems interesting and well acted and they left it open for her to return in the future.

Shiggy

Someone else said that
Edit: you know this would be a great chance to bring back Torchwood and it would get a lot more people interested in the show with Maisie around but both her and Barrowman are regulars on other shows which fucking sucks

No need to introduce new annoying characters to that series when most of the annoying characters in Torchwood got eliminated by the end of season 3.

Not sure where the Maisie love comes from. She seems like a rather boring character and I hope she's gone for the rest of the season.

What's the explanation for Osgood being back next week then? Does it take place after the 50th Special but before last season's finale. Also hoping for Captain Jack to hopefully make an appearance at the end of the season.

Top Bottom