• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

MrBadger

Didn't RTD say in an interview or something that he liked to think that Frobisher was a descendant of Caecilius and that his death was history catching up with him, or at least I think I read that somewhere. He doesn't have to have anything to do with the Doctor at all.

A big theme this series seems to be that the Doctor's actions have consequences. Ripples and tidal waves, etc. The Doctor saving Caecilius and subsequently creating Frobisher could tie in to this series, and his face could be a reminder of that. He saved the kid that grew up to be Davros a few weeks ago.

Razmos

I really can't imagine them bringing up Frobisher. Doctor Who can be pretty dark at times but it usually falls short of mentions of family murder-suicides.

Magwik

Banned
A big theme this series seems to be that the Doctor's actions have consequences. Ripples and tidal waves, etc. The Doctor saving Caecilius and subsequently creating Frobisher could tie in to this series, and his face could be a reminder of that. He saved the kid that grew up to be Davros a few weeks ago.
If he continues to mess with time he'll probably come to the realization that after so many years he needs the time lords to keep things together.

I really can't imagine them bringing up Frobisher. Doctor Who can be pretty dark at times but it usually falls short of mentions of family murder-suicides.

Well there was the ending to Waters of Mars.

ok, no family murder, but it was close.

There's really no reason for them to address the point any further though.

Mudcrab

Episode was wack as fuck. Look, I like the fact that Doctor Who doesn't take itself very seriously, but there's certain line that is crossed when the Doctor is translating baby noises on screen for 10 minutes.

I also don't understand why they have to make a big deal out of his face at all.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Clearly I need a smaller shirt but here is my Eleventh Doctor Halloween costume so far. I'm also waiting on a replica of the coat he wears in Let's Kill Hitler.

12088577_10206330797921612_1817579356709039118_n.jpg

Heartfyre

Watched the latest episode today. I found it very dull. Very much a by-the-numbers Doctor Who episode. Not a thing surprised me. The jokes were rote, the premise worn, the dialogue stilted. Maisie Williams was playing the same character as her other show, but with a different name.

I actually appreciated the baby talk thing, though. It's the show being consistent -- Eleven talked to Stormageddon for a whole episode after all. The other thing I appreciated? That the Doctor wasn't dealing with some prophecy of his own death again. Episode Five was the first one without that trope this season.

Watched the latest episode today. I found it very dull. Very much a by-the-numbers Doctor Who episode. Not a thing surprised me. The jokes were rote, the premise worn, the dialogue stilted. Maisie Williams was playing the same character as her other show, but with a different name.

I actually appreciated the baby talk thing, though. It's the show being consistent -- Eleven talked to Stormageddon for a whole episode after all. The other thing I appreciated? That the Doctor wasn't dealing with some prophecy of his own death again. Episode Five was the first one without that trope this season.

Actually I was beginning to wonder the other day if 'facing death' isn't another arc this season. For instance, episode one the Doctor faces his death, then you have Clara and Missy 'dying' in the cliffhanger which changes the story's course. Episode three you're facing the ghosts, then the Doctor seemingly 'dies' at the cliffhanger which again influences the next part. And now you have the Vikings facing their death and then Ashildr dying (and being resurrected) as the cliffhanger into next week.

I'm wondering if on some weird, super meta level this isn't just all leading up to Clara dying. We even had the Doctor explicitly talking about her eventually leaving in this episode. Maybe this whole season is prep for the Doctor learning how exactly to eventually move on from her.

It was an ok episode, but I enjoyed it overall. The one major nitpick I have is the bit with the electric eels. Do the Viking fishermen travel to the Amazon to collect them? C'mon.

Goldrush

Actually I was beginning to wonder the other day if 'facing death' isn't another arc this season. For instance, episode one the Doctor faces his death, then you have Clara and Missy 'dying' in the cliffhanger which changes the story's course. Episode three you're facing the ghosts, then the Doctor seemingly 'dies' at the cliffhanger which again influences the next part. And now you have the Vikings facing their death and then Ashildr dying (and being resurrected) as the cliffhanger into next week.

I'm wondering if on some weird, super meta level this isn't just all leading up to Clara dying. We even had the Doctor explicitly talking about her eventually leaving in this episode. Maybe this whole season is prep for the Doctor learning how exactly to eventually move on from her.

Personally think that the two-parter format just encourages the trope.

I'm going to be completely pedantic here, but my problem with the baby stuff really isn't just how stupid it is from the standpoint of what babies are actually trying to communicate while crying, it's that I'm forced to either believe the babies are trying to communicate but the Tardis chooses not to translate it, or that a guy that last week couldn't understand sign language still speaks baby

Fun fact- saying that Vikings didn't wear horned helmets is about as factual as saying that they did. The fact is that we simply don't know for certain what Vikings wore- it's certainly not a definite that they wore horned helmets, but we know that there were other cultures in the same sort of region that did, and it's not beyond belief that the Vikings did too.

The fact of the matter, though, is that it's Vikings on Doctor Who. Of course they're going to wear horned helmets.

zeemumu

I enjoyed the reason for the face. The baby scenes did come across as a little hilarious, though.

I don't think there's a single Valar Morghulis joke that I can make right now that someone hasn't made already...but I can make this one.

post-10661-What-do-we-say-to-the-God-of-D-hvqb.gif

Immortal Ashildr should become the Doctor's companion.

Loved that last shot in the episode though. Was fantastic. Close up of her eyes and that explosion was eerie. What if she became a villain!?

I'm going to be completely pedantic here, but my problem with the baby stuff really isn't just how stupid it is from the standpoint of what babies are actually trying to communicate while crying, it's that I'm forced to either believe the babies are trying to communicate but the Tardis chooses not to translate it, or that a guy that last week couldn't understand sign language still speaks baby

This is as good an explanation as any of how and why Moffat's style of writing works:

https://youtu.be/M5mU0HfI2jQ

I love it.

I don't think there's a single Valar Morghulis joke that I can make right now that someone hasn't made already...but I can make this one.

post-10661-What-do-we-say-to-the-God-of-D-hvqb.gif

I really enjoyed the role of Syrio Forel, Arya's "dancing master" in that clip, and I know from interviews that British actor Miltos Yerolemou did, too. I would love to see him in Who.

enjoyed the episode

still wished she was susan

I saw what they did do there. It's a pretty good setup for nemesis.

I think if you look at all the episodes so far there's that common theme of interference, pushing the boundaries, "cheating death." I wonder if this might be the series in which the Time Lords start making their presence felt. Remember they've already interfered themselves by giving him a whole new lot of regenerations. Maybe they are able to watch what he's up to and will feel the need to intervene. Maybe (and this would be very River Songish) he's worked out that the Time Lords will probably be back one day, and is trying to get them to make contact with him earlier rather then later.

It could even be possible that the entire River Song arc has been a covert Time Lord plan to keep him reined in and somewhat focussed.

I hope so! I love all this timey wimey stuff.

Platy

In his introduction to the team he says he understands sign language, he just let the dude translates for the other people

Blues1990

With regards to the Weeping Angles: If one was in its quantum-locked state, what would happen if someone could destroy one with, say, a sledgehammer? Or with armour piercing ammunition? Or a wrecking ball?

Was this ever brought up in the series, where one of the characters had the courage to physically attack an angel?

With regards to the Weeping Angles: If one was in its quantum-locked state, what would happen if someone could destroy one with, say, a sledgehammer? Or with armour piercing ammunition? Or a wrecking ball?

Was this ever brought up in the series, where one of the characters had the courage to physically attack an angel?

Moffat said something about if you destroyed an Angel in stone form, the dust would be able to 'infect' people somehow. :S

zulux21

alright doctor who gaf, I need some assistance.

I bought a mug from my work a few weeks back (a second hand store) and I don't get what kera 13 means and can't find any reference to it.

clearly a doctor who mug though

on the fun side even if I can't figure out where this mug came from...

the tardis vanishes with hot liquids in the cup lol.

I bought a mug from my work a few weeks back (a second hand store) and I don't get what kera 13 means and can't find any reference to it.

Doing a bit of searching, I have decided that Kera 13 is an affiliate channel of PBS - a channel that used to air Doctor Who in the US. It seems Texas based.

The mug is likely promoting that show coming to that channel when it first came to that channel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KERA-TV

edit - To pin it down a bit more, Dallas/Fort Worth seems to be the location of Kera 13.

edit 2 - Kera 13 seems to have started airing old episodes of Doctor Who from 2nd December 2000 (http://twidw.doctorwhonews.net/channels.php?code=210). So the mug is 15 year old, maybe?

zulux21

Doing a bit of searching, I have decided that Kera 13 is an affiliate channel of PBS - a channel that used to air Doctor Who in the US. It seems Texas based.

The mug is likely promoting that show coming to that channel when it first came to that channel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KERA-TV

edit - To pin it down a bit more, Dallas/Fort Worth seems to be the location of Kera 13.

edit 2 - Kera 13 seems to have started airing old episodes of Doctor Who from 2nd December 2000 (http://twidw.doctorwhonews.net/channels.php?code=210). So the mug is 15 year old, maybe?

Thanks... now to ask the mug how it got from texas to wisconsin :p

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Rose is by far my favorite of the 3. Amy is my least favorite because she was basically package deal with Rory who I hate with the white hot fury of a thousand suns. Every time I see him I just want to put my fist through that droopy eyed face of his.

Razmos

Rose is by far my favorite of the 3. Amy is my least favorite because she was basically package deal with Rory who I hate with the white hot fury of a thousand suns. Every time I see him I just want to put my fist through that droopy eyed face of his.
Lies! Rory was the best! :(

Top Bottom