• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

I don't think it would have ruined that episode at all.

"Oh, she's in it already!" was basically the extent of my surprise. It was cool, but it was a very temporary jolt.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Was there a RadioTimes poster for The Woman Who Lived? I set those as my album artwork for the episodes in iTunes.

It was rather good as well.

CSF9LdOWoAEFkx0.jpg:orig

This was probably completely obvious to a lot of you, but it occurred to me late last night that Moffat hasn't introduced a River Song-type in a while - a recurring character that can be a foil for the Doctor. Ashildr is clearly meant to be that character. Even though River is coming back for the Christmas special, I think we'll be seeing Ashildr many times down the road, including this season.

The slightly interesting/awkward thing about Ashildr is that, to an extent at least, she'll see the Doctor in a specific order. And she's Earth bound. It's not like River and the Doctor where the two of them bump into each other at random periods of time and space. Ashildr will meet the Doctor chronologically, if that means much of anything in this show.

Basically what I'm getting at is that an Ashildr in 2015, for instance, will have met the Doctor X amount of times and that's it. Ashildr of 1800 would have met him less, Ashildr of 2200 will have met him more, and the Doctor can't interact with her pre 1650. And by modern day she may have met any number of other Doctors. It's River-esque but slightly less complicated. I think.

New Big Finish Tweet:

"Get Ready... 10:00am 26/10/15 #DoctorWho"
CSLn4JjWUAQH5wz.jpg

RTD-era TARDIS. Here come Tennant and Tate! Big question mark is who'll be writing - I'd be ecstatic to see some RTD-era writers like Cornell or somebody head to BF to contribute to that era.

tomtom94

New Big Finish Tweet:

"Get Ready... 10:00am 26/10/15 #DoctorWho"
CSLn4JjWUAQH5wz.jpg

RTD-era TARDIS. Here come Tennant and Tate! Big question mark is who'll be writing - I'd be ecstatic to see some RTD-era writers like Cornell or somebody head to BF to contribute to that era.
Is that meant to resemble an evil Ood?

ag-my001

So I just finished watching Logopolis on BBC:A.

Can someone explain the guy in white? Were regeneration deals still whatever the writer wanted at that point?

VegiHam

Rewatching Vincent and the Doctor and it's very nearly made my cry. Forgot how damn good it was. Forgot how good S5 was in general actually.

Axiom

I'd venture to say that there hasn't been a series of Doctor Who this good since Matt's first.

Doctor Who typically has amazing highs and low lows, and you don't know what you're going to get from week to week, and one of the flaws of Moffat vs. RTD is that the bad Moffat episodes are blander and far less frustratingly memorable than the bad ones under RTD.

We remember slab blowjobs, penis daleks and CHLOE WEBBER. We may not want to, but we do.

Depending on how it all comes together, this could be the most consistent series of the modern run. There's been no burping bins and farting aliens. No interminably boring Silurian two parter.

Though consistency really means nothing in the end if they don't stick the landing.

I'd say that this is easily the strongest first half of a series we've had in the modern era, even with Before the Flood dragging the average down. Even series 5 had The Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks ruining everything.

So I just finished watching Logopolis on BBC:A.

Can someone explain the guy in white? Were regeneration deals still whatever the writer wanted at that point?

guy in white is a projection of the Doctor's future, basically tells the Doctor prepare for his imminent death. So yeah, he's Steven Moffat as a character.

Regeneration, like everything else, is whatever the writer wants, provided they can write a plausible reason why they're subverting something that's already established. Or just ignore it totally. Doctor Who (moffat or RTD) does both, except with out the plausible explanations.

Writers hate having their ideas nullified because it breaks continuity with something from the last episode, let alone something from 10-20 or 50 years ago. That's probably how it should be. I'd be a lousy Doctor Who writer because I'd be unwilling to rewrite history for the sake of a script.

I always love the differences of opinion on Doctor Who.

To me this is, by far, the weakest first six + and the weakest run of six episodes in modern Who.

edit: derp.

I haven't read the books so no spoilers please, but knowing that Game of Thrones will continue for at least a couple more years would prevent Arya from being in the show as frequently as River right? Unless Arya dies next season (again, no spoilers!) I don't think we'll see her more than once or twice a year.

Game of Thrones filming lasts for around 4 months so that leaves ample time for other projects.

I think this has been a pretty average run so far. Nothing awful, but nothing outstanding either.

Although looking through every other series, no series has a perfect track record for the first six. Series 6 had a pretty good run, with only Black Spot letting it down, and you have The Impossible Astronaut, Day of the Moon and The Doctor's Wife in there. Series' 2 and 4 I'd say are on par with this run, in that there's nothing bad there, but not much outstanding too.

edit: actually i take that back 42 through Partners in Crime is the worst run of 6, on average.

The run with Human Nature, Family of Blood, Blink, Utopia and The Sound of Drums in it?

I really like Last of the Time Lords too, but I'm not going to argue for that one.

To me this is, by far, the weakest first six + and the weakest run of six episodes in modern Who.

edit: actually i take that back 42 through Partners in Crime is the worst run of 6, on average.

The run containing Human Nature, The Family of Blood, Blink and Utopia's the weakest run of the show?

That's certainly not an opinion I've seen before.

What the fuuuuuuck! That's a new one! No matter how bad you think Last of the Time Lords is (and I think Utopia/The Sound of Drums are both pretty much top tier, just fails to stick the landing in the conclusion)... lordy!

As for this run - I think it's been pretty average so far, but it hasn't been offensive like vast swathes of, say, Series 6, was. I think the last two weeks have been roundly pap, though, this week better than last.

isny

napkin dispenser
I hate Mof and love Clara, but really haven't enjoyed much of Who since Ten left, however, I do have to say I'm really digging this season so far. (Capaldi's first season was okay, but he's really come into the character now, and this doctor is incredibly different than the Matt Smith who didn't really get anything culturally while traveling through time, he seemed to have lost a lot of his memory due to the way he regenerated from Ten...)

The callback to Jack was nice... "he'll get around to you eventually," so cheeky, lol, and Clara's line delivery of "I'm not going anywhere" made me think out loud "liessss."

Here's some early storyboards from The Day of the Doctor featuring Eccleston:
http://imgur.com/a/IrsmU

It also shows that presumably at the stage he was involved the order was a bit different, as it depicts 9 jumping through the portal from the barn to end up with 10 and Elizabeth, rather than 11. There's also no 'Bad Wolf' but instead a generic little girl, presumably because they probably wouldn't have wanted to have shown Chris and Billie together to avoid undermining Series 1, the same way she never interacts with Tennant.

The fact that they were at the storyboard stage suggests that he maybe declined a fair bit later than everybody originally thought, and at least for a while courted the idea rather than gave a flat no right away.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

It also shows that presumably at the stage he was involved the order was a bit different, as it depicts 9 jumping through the portal from the barn to end up with 10 and Elizabeth, rather than 11. There's also no 'Bad Wolf' but instead a generic little girl, presumably because they probably wouldn't have wanted to have shown Chris and Billie together to avoid undermining Series 1, the same way she never interacts with Tennant.

The fact that they were at the storyboard stage suggests that he maybe declined a fair bit later than everybody originally thought, and at least for a while courted the idea rather than gave a flat no right away.

Awesome as Hurt was, and as well done as the retcon was, I still wish we had gotten Eccleston.

PaulloDEC

Awesome as Hurt was, and as well done as the retcon was, I still wish we had gotten Eccleston.

Same here. They made the best of a bad situation (and having Billie back was almost worth losing Eccleston) but having all three new series Doctors together would've been really special.

9,10 +11 would've blown my mind. What could've been.

Didn't Hurt say he was asked to join the week before filming started?
Must've been some hasty re-writes.

I wonder how it would have affected (if at all) the Night of the Doctor short. Would it have still gone forward as normal (only with Eccleston at the end of the transformation) or if the idea only came about as a result of the War Doctor fix.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wonder how it would have affected (if at all) the Night of the Doctor short. Would it have still gone forward as normal (only with Eccleston at the end of the transformation) or if the idea only came about as a result of the War Doctor fix.

Probably could have done it with Eccleston. I have the feeling Night of The Doctor was done purely as a nod to McGann and everything he's done for the franchise, more than a set up.

I'm sure Moffat would have taken the opportunity to close the regeneration gap regardless.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

What could have been...

Yeah the thing about her children was weird because I took it that Maisie was playing younger in The Girl Who Died and Ashildr was supposed to be like a scrappy 14 year old or thereabouts. Her body wouldn't have aged, so it kind of sat a bit odd with me, but I suppose I just misinterpreted the 'age' of the character.

We work with what we've got. Somebody stuck for eternity with a sexually mature but young-appearing body would still be able to have children. Am I sounding creepy yet?

Imagine if this happened with Oswin in Asylum of the Daleks. Would've ruined it. :(

At that time, September 1, 2012, everybody already knew that Jenna would be the new companion. The BBC had held a big public meet and greet in March of that year. That knowledge didn't ruin it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17456505

The mystery at the time was what relation Oswin Oswald had to Clara, and we now know that played out in the series arc for the following year.

By the way, am I the only person who didn't realise that Jenna is married to Richard Madden who plays Robb Stark in Game of Thrones? Update: well, in a relationship, not actually married.

Just finished Season 5.

River is a better companion than Rory and Amy.

River is, as somebody else remarked, a very good foil to the Doctor. She's also a great comic creation in her own right.

Somebody said series 6 had the worst lows. I didn't care for Night Terrors, but I found all the other episodes very enjoyable. Generally I think the overall quality of Doctor Who shows in the ensemble acting and the direction. The team in the studio on the day puts everything into the show.

Perhaps because of Maisie, perhaps because of the record breaking Emmy awards, and perhaps because I admire novelist George RR Martin (GRRM) as a human being (hint: puppies), I decided to take a look at Game of Thrones. It actually took me a few episodes to decide whether I liked it, but in the end the ensemble acting won. I'm caught up to the Season 4 finale.

Looking back at the earlier episodes again I don't think Peter Dinklage had yet found his voice in the role of Tyrion, and sometimes his delivery in the first few episodes sounds under-rehearsed. When Tyrion heads south and is taken captive, it's as if a lightbulb goes on above his head. Or perhaps GRRM's writing at that point is more focussed on Tyrion and Dinklage just spent more time on set and eased into the part.

Still, with HBO spending so much money on the sets and shooting live locations in Ulster, and assembling utterly massive casts of talented actors, the dedication of the team shows. That is what I think it shares with Doctor Who.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The episode was alright up until the end. But that's par for the course with Who.

Just finished Season 5.

River is a better companion than Rory and Amy.
Says no one, ever.

Man, it's hard to remember all of this stuff. I remember binge watching five seasons in a month or so a few years go. :p

hank_tree

At that time, September 1, 2012, everybody already knew that Jenna would be the new companion. The BBC had held a big public meet and greet in March of that year. That knowledge didn't ruin it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17456505

The mystery at the time was what relation Oswin Oswald had to Clara, and we now know that played out in the series arc for the following year.

By the way, am I the only person who didn't realise that Jenna is married to Richard Madden who plays Robb Stark in Game of Thrones? Update: well, in a relationship, not actually married.

I think what he is saying is that knowing that Jenna Coleman was in Asylum of the Daleks ahead of time would have ruined something. That was a nice little twist. We knew Clara was coming but we weren't expecting to see her so soon.

It's happening! At long last, new stories with my favourite pair.

CSPDOqtWUAAwt2u.jpg

David Tennant is returning as the Tenth Doctor alongside Catherine Tate as his companion Donna Noble in three Doctor Who Audio Dramas!

David Tennant portrayed the Doctor on screen from 2005 until 1 January 2010, returning to play alongside Matt Smith and John Hurt in the 50th Anniversary special The Day of the Doctor in 2013. Catherine Tate made her debut as Donna in December 2006, and after a series and two festive specials she made her last appearance alongside David on 1 January 2010. Their on-screen partnership is generally regarded as one of the great high-points of the enduring science fiction phenomenon.

'I still remember the sense of joy I had when I heard that David had been asked to play the Doctor,' says Big Finish executive producer Jason Haigh-Ellery. 'We were all so pleased for him — as we knew how much Doctor Who meant to him. And now David comes full circle, back doing Doctor Who with Big Finish — except that this time he’s playing the Doctor! It’s the same but different — it’s wonderful to have him back!'

Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures will be released in May 2016 and comprises three thrilling full cast audio adventures.

The series opens with Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Technophobia by Matt Fitton, which is set in a London slightly in the future, where mankind is gradually losing its ability to use everyday technology. Could there be an evil force at work?

In Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Time Reaver by Jenny T Colgan the Doctor and Donna arrive on Calibris - ‘An entirely mechanical planet. Catch, hitch, fuel, fix, buy, pretty much any kind of transportation in existence.’ It’s also a world full of scoundrels, where a deadly black market has opened up in a device known only as the Time Reaver.

Finally, in Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Death and the Queen by James Goss, Donna is swept along in a fairytale romance and meets the man of her dreams in the beautiful land of Goritania. What can possibly go wrong? And why has the Doctor never heard of Goritania?

'I’ve enjoyed working with all the Doctors on TV, but David is on the only one I’d known before he became the Doctor,' says executive producer Nicholas Briggs. 'I’d worked with him on our Dalek Empire series for Big Finish and had such fun. So along with the excitement of directing new Tenth Doctor adventures, I’m so happy to be working with an old chum again.'

Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures is produced by David Richardson, script edited by Matt Fitton and James Goss and directed by Nicholas Briggs.

'This is one of those dream projects where I’ve spent months pinching myself. I’m covered in bruises,’ says David. ‘With two major international stars in place, and the legacy of this era of the TV show to live up to, we’ve worked our socks off to try and make some very special stories for this box set. Expect adventure, fun, scares... and some tears too.'

Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures will be released in May 2016 - exclusively on the Big Finish website. Each of the three titles are available to pre-order separately today for just £10.99 on CD or £8.99 to download.

I think what he is saying is that knowing that Jenna Coleman was in Asylum of the Daleks ahead of time would have ruined something. That was a nice little twist. We knew Clara was coming but we weren't expecting to see her so soon.

I think you're right. Checking the Wikipedia article for the episode, I see that Moffat went to some lengths to keep Jenna's appearance in that episode secret.

I'm not a huge fan of the concept of spoilers, but I can see how a writer in a long-running series may want to guard some surprises.

Top Bottom