• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Boem

When I consider that the situation is that a man is about to be executed in a rather brutal manner, I find it difficult to feel any empathy with anybody who might have objected to mild sexual innuendo. We've not yet been so thoroughly colonised by the puritanical silliness of our cousins across the pond.

Yeah that's a fairly tame joke honestly. There have been lots of remarks/jokes about sex on the show in previous years, and they're allowed to go a lot further on BBC shows like QI which can air at around the same time as Who. Don't forget that stuff like Blackadder was once considered a treasure of the BBC (actually still is, obviously), and that was full of silly sex stuff.

I'm very excited for this week's episode, and the political aspect is a big part of that. I enjoy a bit of topicality in my Who, and it's not something Moffat's era has done much.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
CSqF5_LXAAAhdL7.jpg:orig

Is there something going on with Episode 5, The Girl Who Died?

My DirecTV DVR didn't record it. There's no future showings, and BBCA's On Demand skips it (it goes 1,2,3,4,6).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This is awful.

The writing is terrible and the acting is even worse.

Series has been great before this too.

CMDBob

Jesus christ, this shit is dull as dishwater. I mean, so fucking boooooooring. I usually enjoy even an average episode of Who, but this is absolute dogshite.

I have absolutely zero idea what's going on. Anybody else? Doesn't seem like the best episode to watch pissed in all fairness.

I'm completely sober and I have no idea myself!

Lashley

Series has been great, but that was awful. Really, really bad.

Me and my mam were laughing at how bad it was. Jesus wept.

Stuart444

Most of the episode was rather boring honestly. Best part was the last 10 minutes which I enjoyed.

But the second part may save it since it did feel like mostly a set up episode for next week.

Yeah, that was pretty dull up until the cliffhanger, next week could be interesting though.

and another hybrid mention too, they've not even being subtle about that.

I'm confused by people saying this was dull and boring. I enjoyed it a lot, thought it was a really good episode. A bit heavy-handed on the isis-comparison but I liked the pacing of it myself.

Evil Clara is cool.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to part 2.

Big shades of the Sontaran Strategem in this -- evil companion clone, lots of UNIT, including a militant commander the Doctor disapproves of, plus the heavy-handed political message -- bit wanky, but fine.

One of the more fun aspects of this thread is watching the reactions come through in waves.

The guys watching it live in the UK

The guys watching it when it finally hits the US

The guys watching it the next day on time shift.

Almost without fail, the guys watching it live are negative as shit as they're watching it.

And then the guys watching in the US are a little more even keelish.

The guys the next day more or less set the narrative for the week's discussion... which lasts until Tuesday, when we go back to discussing previous seasons.

Razmos

That episode was utterly awful and boring as fuck until the evil Clara reveal.

Also yes, Evil Clara is hot as fuck, and I say this as a gay man. Goddamn she suits evil well

VegiHam

Huh, looks like the only one who quite enjoyed this one.

The uncomfortably unsubtle political slant made it feel a bit like an off brand Black Mirror.

I'll wait for part two and see how this plot pans about before actually passing comment on any of that political stuff, mind, but so far? Yikes.

And yeah, Evil Clara is hot and 'They'll think you're going to take their benefits' was hilarious.

Stuart444

Almost without fail, the guys watching it live are negative as shit as they're watching it.

What? There is usually a decent amount of people that aren't negative when it's live.

This is probably the first episode in a while I was bored by. Up until the last 10 - 15 minutes.

But like I said, next week may save it since the whole episode was just one big set up lol.

Lashley

One of the more fun aspects of this thread is watching the reactions come through in waves.

The guys watching it live in the UK

The guys watching it when it finally hits the US

The guys watching it the next day on time shift.

And then the guys watching in the US are a little more even keelish.

The guys the next day more or less set the narrative for the week's discussion... which lasts until Tuesday, when we go back to discussing previous seasons.

I've loved this series, but I'll honestly be surprised if anybody says this was good. The writing was awful and the acting was even worse.

And thats by Doctor Who standards

Jackpot

Banned
That was terrible.

And the worst bit is that they nearly broke the Doctor's character.

"Try to kill as few of them as possible" he says to his team of gun-toting soldiers. Does that sound like something the Doctor would say? Or when he's just standing there peering round when UNIT are preparing to gun down all those Zygons who were (at the time) offering no resistance.

Shiggy

I've loved this series, but I'll honestly be surprised if anybody says this was good. The writing was awful and the acting was even worse.

At least something happened, unlike in last week's episode where it was just snoring.

"Try to kill as few of them as possible" he says to his team of gun-toting soldiers. Does that sound like something the Doctor would say? Or when he's just standing there peering round when UNIT are preparing to gun down all those Zygons who were (at the time) offering no resistance.

Yes? Has happened before when humans were under huge danger?

I'm really curious, what about the acting from principal actors who have almost all been in multiple other episodes was any different to their usual performances?

People are nuts.

That was terrible.

And the worst bit is that they nearly broke the Doctor's character.

In fairness, this was precisely how it used to be with the Third Doctor and UNIT, and I've found all of Capaldi's UNIT episodes to be a throwback to that rather than the complete disinterest the 9th Doctor showed in them and the outright disdain from the 10th.

I'll honestly be surprised if anybody says this was good. The writing was awful and the acting was even worse.

I'm not saying I won't agree - if it's a shitshow, it doesn't matter when I watch it. But I've noticed the livetweets (which is basically what they are) tend to run towards the critical, and then later in the evening there's more considered responses, and then by the next day the actual discussions get locked in. It's just fun to see the rollercoaster go.

Top Bottom