• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

For fans of reading scripts, and not just those leaked online haha how funny would that be, they've officially released Series 9 episode 1 and 2 scripts as part of Writers Room, so you can see what they're like:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/doctor-who-series-9

This reads better on the page than it does on screen, and I liked the episodes as they went out.

The neutering of the Doctor's ranting in Davros's chair is a crime.

Ophelion

If the next companion is another cute girl, I hope she's Welsh. I love a good, sexy Welsh accent.

If the next companion is not another cute girl, I will be dumbfounded. The Doctor has a type when it comes to who he offers keys to the TARDIS and he rarely deviates. Though I don't think it's so much he's attracted to a certain kind of girl as it's like how if I had unlimited funds, I would pretty much always have a Scottish Fold kitten as a pet. Because they're completely adorable. When Missy told Clara she was the puppy, she told no lies.

On season 7...omg Jenna Coleman...hnnnng! :3

She is immensely distracting in a way I do not mind in the least.

TheJoRu

Funny thing about the first image released from the Harry Potter prequel is to remember that Eddie Redmayne allegedly auditioned for the Doctor, and, well...

..yeah, I see it.

Maybe not so incidentally Matt Smith was reported to be considered for, and interested in, that role.

From the Mirror, so salt and all that:

Doctor Who will return with half the usual episodes next year when its star Peter Capaldi is granted leave.

The BBC pushed for more than the regular 12 instalments but the Time Lord actor wants to do other projects too.

He told bosses working harder was not on, for both himself and the “exhausted” crew.

“If you did the series all year there’d be casualties – and one would be its quality,” he said. “There’s a point where you can’t drive people any harder.”

Capaldi, 57, is to direct a film loosely based on his time in Glasgow punk band The Dreamboys and two episodes of the US TV series Veep. Peter was lead singer and guitarist in The Dreamboys – which also counted Late, Late Show host Craig Ferguson among its numbers – while a student at Glasgow School of Art in the early 80s.

Insiders on Doctor Who have revealed that – as with Matt Smith – the next series will be reduced significantly to allow Capaldi the time off he needs.

Next year’s reduced run for Doctor Who will be supplemented by a Christmas special.

But Capaldi has admitted: “Playing the Doctor takes up so much time. It doesn’t leave much room for other things.”

Show boss Steven Moffat stressed that Capaldi is not quitting the star role, saying: “Peter is going nowhere.”

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-10-will-reportedly-be-halved-77722.htm

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
This is weird to interpret. They say their halving the series, but then say they pushed for more than 12 episodes? I don't understand.

Assuming it's true. BBC wants more episodes per series, more episodes means more to sell, and it's easier to make more episodes when you've already got everyone to need to make them and you get extra budget for each episode. Capaldi wants to do other things at the same time as it takes up most of his year, and doing more episode would be too hard on everyone, so they are doing less episodes next year to keep him and the crew happy.

It's from the Mirror though, like anything Doctor Who related I would wait for an official source.

Vegito

Banned
BBC wanted more than 12, Capaldi wants significantly less than 12. Guess Capaldi won that argument.

He doesnt want less than 12. He just didnt want more than 12.I think he underestimated how the 9th month shoot would impact his life. Its tough for someone his age. Its a young mans game.

Dalek

Why is it that filming 12 episodes of a show in the UK always sounds like a monumental, exhausting task? Is there something different about it from US productions?

Blader

He doesnt want less than 12. He just didnt want more than 12.I think he underestimated how the 9th month shoot would impact his life. Its tough for someone his age. Its a young mans game.

Well if his position was that he wants time to spend with his family, work on other projects, etc. that he couldn't get under the normal 12-episode/9-month commitment, then wouldn't that mean he wanted fewer than 12 episodes? To me it sounds like he wants to cut down on the amount of time spent filming Who in a given year, which would mean doing less than the 12 he does now.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Why is it that filming 12 episodes of a show in the UK always sounds like a monumental, exhausting task? Is there something different about it from US productions?

I believe BBC productions are government-funded, hence the lack of commercials.
Not sure about other channels with commercials...

I'm American so there could be this whole process I don't know about

iMax

The fact they're self-contained stories and not episodic probably doesn't help.

Vegito

Banned
Well if his position was that he wants time to spend with his family, work on other projects, etc. that he couldn't get under the normal 12-episode/9-month commitment, then wouldn't that mean he wanted fewer than 12 episodes? To me it sounds like he wants to cut down on the amount of time spent filming Who in a given year, which would mean doing less than the 12 he does now.

Per year yes. But they still want 12 episodes a season. I wouldnt be surprsied if the rest of capaldis era is split seasons.

OmegaFax

I was thinking the same thing but it's not really uncommon in the US depending on the show. Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Ash vs. the Evil Dead, Rick & Morty, and Archer are all examples, to varying degrees, of shows that run for a shorter season a year. I mean, for a science fiction show, I can see where you're coming from. Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, and other shows always about 20 episodes a season.

I was even reading up on the history of Doctor Who and the old shows in the 60s ran from week to week throughout most of the year.

I'd think for an actor, cast/crew, writers ... the more demand for work with little to short gap is a blessing. You come back after a year to shoot a half dozen episodes and you might lose focus on what you're doing.

Bluth54

US shows that film 22 episodes a year film long days (12-16 hours) and pay lots of overtime. Bill Mumy talks a little bit about that type of filming on Deep Space Nine.

I know the BBC doesn't do overtime which is why it takes so long to film Doctor Who. Still it would be disappointing if they didn't do the normal 12+1 episodes next year.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
US shows that film 22 episodes a year film long days (12-16 hours) and pay lots of overtime. Bill Mumy talks a little bit about that type of filming on Deep Space Nine.

I know the BBC doesn't do overtime which is why it takes so long to film Doctor Who. Still it would be disappointing if they didn't do the normal 12+1 episodes next year.

There's also the fact that Doctor Who has basically one set, the TARDIS, so most of the episodes have to be filmed on location somewhere or in sets built for just one episode, which is a lot of work and takes time to organise. There's not a lot of bottle episodes or reused locations which would reduce filming time.

Bluth54

There's also the fact that Doctor Who has basically one set, the TARDIS, so most of the episodes have to be filmed on location somewhere or in sets built for just one episode, which is a lot of work and takes time to organise. There's not a lot of bottle episodes or reused locations which would reduce filming time.

That's true, having so few standing sets no doubt slows down production, and in many episodes they don't spend a ton of time on the Tardis.

I'd be surprised if the BBC wanted more than 12 though, they already cut down the generic series length by one episode. Sure there's more to sell internationally, but it's already long for a British series. Plus - Moff's in charge, the BBC will want him to have time to work on Sherlock too.

So I can only guess it's a slightly odd thing of being a bigger run, maybe wanting to do a half series and a series over a bit longer than a year? I don't know. There's more to this than we know.

Might be interesting to see them try a Children of Earth style serial, but I'm not really sure how well that would work with the current format of the show. It worked with Torchwood because that show normally has a fixed cast and setting anyway.

Plus there's the risk that it would turn out crap like Miracle Day, then you've effectively wasted a year of episodes.

MrBadger

Might be interesting to see them try a Children of Earth style serial, but I'm not really sure how well that would work with the current format of the show. It worked with Torchwood because that show normally has a fixed cast and setting anyway.

Plus there's the risk that it would turn out crap like Miracle Day, then you've effectively wasted a year of episodes.

River Song's return in the christmas special is to set up a 6 month serial about her. Get excited

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'd be surprised if the BBC wanted more than 12 though, they already cut down the generic series length by one episode. Sure there's more to sell internationally, but it's already long for a British series. Plus - Moff's in charge, the BBC will want him to have time to work on Sherlock too.

So I can only guess it's a slightly odd thing of being a bigger run, maybe wanting to do a half series and a series over a bit longer than a year? I don't know. There's more to this than we know.

The BBC can give Moffatt all the time in the world to do Sherlock - it's the availability of the actors that causes most of the delay between series there.

Bluth54

Yeah I can't see BBC wanting more then 13 or 14 episodes a year of Who, but I can believe that they don't want less episodes. Even though they aren't supposed to consider the money Who brings in worldwide with the budget shortfalls they've been having I imagine they want Who to continue to bring in as much money as possible to help make up for any budget shortfalls.

tomtom94

The other benefit of fewer episodes is it MIGHT - key word MIGHT - mean that they can put Who back where it belongs i.e. in the spring from the following series.

His contract will say when he films the episodes, not when they're broadcast.

Sneaky, Mr. Capaldi!

tumblr_mkak2fYRsQ1qdfm0ao1_500.gif

There's some weird shit coming out of their camp generally, to be honest. I get the impression they're upset with stuff that's going on behind the scenes and the way the show is being treated. Here's Capaldi having a pop at the BBC:

The 57-year-old star said: “I feel it’s slightly used as a pawn in a Saturday night warfare. I feel as if it should go out at 7.30pm or around that time.”

Capaldi added: “I see a lot of kids and a lot of families and these families who all love Doctor Who want to sit down and watch it together. I used to do that with my daughter when it came back so it has to be on at a time that’s reasonable for them to do that.”

“And once you get past 8.15pm, you’re getting yourself into adult territory and although a lot of adults really like it, at its heart, it’s designed to do a lot of entertaining of children as well. So I think it begins to move into a zone it doesn’t quite belong in. I feel it’s a shame they’re not given that opportunity,” he said.

Then this from Moffat:
Moffat added: “Doctor Who’s not designed and built to go out at 8.25pm – that’s Sherlock o’clock. It’s for earlier in the evening. We’re doing fine, once you put the consolidated and then if you do the wicked thing that you’re not supposed to do of adding on iPlayer as well, we’re doing fine.”

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
There's some weird shit coming out of their camp generally, to be honest. I get the impression they're upset with stuff that's going on behind the scenes and the way the show is being treated. Here's Capaldi having a pop at the BBC:

Then this from Moffat:

I like it at this time of the year, but Strictly completely balls up the scheduling.

Symphonia

Banned
I'd say showing it at 7pm-8pm GMT is the ideal time to show Who. Any later and the younger audiences will miss it as their in bed and/or the older audience will have something more suited to their maturity to watch. Any earlier and people generally won't be relaxed in front of the TV ready to watch it. 7pm is prime time.

Then this from Moffat:

They are, of course, absolutely right, but them's the breaks of the time of year that the show's going out.

I don't care if we get fuck-all next year, just get it to the start of the year. January-March 2017 would be marvellous.

Another interesting thing that's come out over the last few days, and one which might explain why next series has seemed so up in the air- Moffat apparently thought the Christmas special this year might be his last episode when he started it, and it wasn't until he was done that he was signed up for series 10.

Top Bottom