• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

iMax

There's been a couple of callbacks already to previous events (Fires of Pompeii, Day of the Doctor), so Who Nose?

tumblr_mwv7q3nTMl1sonopio1_500.gif

I keep thinking he's tried and failed to pick his nose there.

Well, considering symmetry for a moment, and that the first two-parter took place on Skaro (which had been presumed destroyed before), as well as
The Moment
showing up in this one, there is a good chance
we're going to see Gallifrey in some form in the last one

I mean, what would a Dalek-Time Lord hybrid even be used for, exactly?

Then again, the whole loop / guitar thing probably goes to 'how the fuck did Skaro and Davros survive', since they kind of need to explain how that happened.
I'm sure none of this will be it, and it's something completely unrelated, but that's what I would guess currently.

Well they're told right beforehand that they can't trust what they'll see at the Church.
And then the "mum" appears.
And the commander woman is telling him "that's not your mum, it's the alien, you know, the one that we need to stop or the planet is fucked".
And he's like "well, what if it IS my mum?" And asks her a question, to which she doesn't answer.
Then he decides to ignore the commander woman.
And then everyone else follows in too? Why?
And they all die without firing a bullet.

It just seemed that everyone in UNIT suddenly turned into idiots.

Rebecca Front is cast as the commander. She's a comic actor. I didn't expect them to take much notice of her because that's the way her acting works. She's got a whole range of exasperated expressions to fit such situations.

And yes, they're basically the Keystone Kops. Have they ever been any different?

They're there to make the Zygons appear like a credible threat, and their offscreen, bulletless deaths are a way to have some really nasty things happen without scarring small children for life.

I'm watching it again now. The scene in front of the church is particularly moving. It really woke me up. The drone scene tips you off, but the actress cast as the mother is particularly effective and credible. And maybe it's true. Maybe the Zygons infiltrated UNIT and...oh wait. Powerful magic.

Osgood is powerful in every one of the sparse scenes she is allotted. The principle of solidarity, which she and her sister colluded to invent in Day of the Doctor, is beautifully embodied in her refusal to say which one of her was killed by Missy.

This reminds me a little of the twin Culture spaceships in Iain Banks' Look to Windward. The hub mind of Masaq Orbital is a union of two of these talking spaceships, one originally created as an emergency backup of the other during the Idiran War. It is known that one of them was physically destroyed, but the two ships often shared mind backups and so were essentially identical. The hub mind refuses to say which of the twins survived, and which one died.

Ophelion

Osgood is powerful in every one of the sparse scenes she is allotted. The principle of solidarity, which she and her sister colluded to invent in Day of the Doctor, is beautifully embodied in her refusal to say which one of her was killed by Missy.

This reminds me a little of the twin Culture spaceships in Iain Banks' Look to Windward. The hub mind of Masaq Orbital is a union of two of these talking spaceships, one originally created as an emergency backup of the other during the Idiran War. It is known that one of them was physically destroyed, but the two ships often shared mind backups and so were essentially identical. The hub mind refuses to say which of the twins survived, and which one died.

I really like what they're doing with her character. I hope they don't just kill the other one off in this arc. I'm not as sold as some other people on her being companion material, but I do think she's too interesting of a supporting character to just throw away.

hamchan

So the Kate investigating the ghost town has to be Zygon Kate right? Because why else would a high ranking member of UNIT just be going to a suspicious town with no backup at all. Seems a bit dumb and dangerous unless it's a decoy.

So the Kate investigating the ghost town has to be Zygon Kate right? Because why else would a high ranking member of UNIT just be going to a suspicious town with no backup at all. Seems a bit dumb and dangerous unless it's a decoy.

Why would UNIT soldiers follow suspicious civilians in a hostile zone known to have enemies who can shape shift into a building after the civilians failed to answer any questions?
UNIT is shit...sorry, i meant the writer of this episode is shit.

Razmos

Moffat spoilers regarding Clara's future:
Clara is gone and will never return. I will not reveal any forecast about her fate. I can only say that what will happen will shock, terrify and surprise. Strictly in that order.

Definitely sounds like
she is going to die
, but this is Moffat so who knows.

I'd quite like to have for one he answers a question about something coming up with "why are you asking, I'll either lie or be unhelpfully vague! Just watch the bloody show! Besides it's fiction it could always change later, have you seen the show? It'll be good though as we wouldn't have written it otherwise!"

Razmos

Gotta say I'm kinda getting sick of companion endings being nothing but death or tragedy.
Eh, going by the NuWho companions:

Rose: Had a happy ending with the Doctor clone and her family
Martha: Stopped adventuring, got married, joined Unit/Torchwood
Donna: Lost her memory of her travels but is still alive and well and living a normal life
Amy and Rory: Were separated from the Doctor and their normal lives, but managed to have a full and happy life together

None of those involve
death or anything that tragic. No companions have died since the show returned

munchie64

Eh, going by the NuWho companions:

Rose: Had a happy ending with the Doctor clone and her family
Martha: Stopped adventuring, got married, joined Unit/Torchwood
Donna: Lost her memory of her travels but is still alive and well and living a normal life
Amy and Rory: Were separated from the Doctor and their normal lives, but managed to have a full and happy life together

None of those involve
death or anything that tragic. No companions have died since the show returned
Last time I'm using spoiler bars for now lol

I guess I respectfully disagree. Three of those feel so samey to me.

Blader

Kate Stewart doing something dumb? I've never heard of such a thing.

Ganhyun

Donna's end was so good, that was some brutal shit

It really was Brutal. The first time I saw the episode where The Master was in charge of Earth and Donna started regaining lost memories, I wondered if she would die. Luckily, The Doctor left some safeguards in place to knock her out and make them go away again.

Don't forget that Donna also wins the lottery.

Didn't The Doctor go find out the winning numbers and then go back and buy the ticket himself and give it to her as a present?

It really was Brutal. The first time I saw the episode where The Master was in charge of Earth and Donna started regaining lost memories, I wondered if she would die. Luckily, The Doctor left some safeguards in place to knock her out and make them go away again.

Didn't The Doctor go find out the winning numbers and then go back and buy the ticket himself and give it to her as a present?

Yes, exactly. So she got the short shrift, but at least gets a happy ending.

I think it's rather depressing that all the Doctor could do for Donna in the end is give her some money.

While it's too bad she had to forget and give up adventuring with him, the point was made when she first came on the scene that her life was quite the dead end. "Some money" means she can stop temping and travel the world.

Ophelion

If Clara does die, what happens to the Doctor? Do we think he'll revert a bit to his more severe self in an attempt to try and keep whoever follows her on the straight and narrow or will he go off the deep end with his newfound extravagance in an effort to try and outrun that pain?

Razmos

If Clara does die, what happens to the Doctor? Do we think he'll revert a bit to his more severe self in an attempt to try and keep whoever follows her on the straight and narrow or will he go off the deep end with his newfound extravagance in an effort to try and outrun that pain?
Probably the latter if they want to continue with sunglasses and guitar rocker Doctor.

I definitely think Clara's death is going to be a shadow that will loom over the series for a while, for at least next season I'd guess.
Would be quite interesting if the Doctor is "broken" next season and doesn't want another companion, but one gets forced on him, and they help him to get back to normal

timewyrm

If Clara does die, I hope it has an impact on the Doctor in Series 10, and not something that is glazed over and stupidly resolved in the Xmas special

Ophelion

I never trust the Moffat.

Yeah, there's always that. I keep thinking that maybe the death that is being foreshadowed constantly might not be Clara's. I wonder if maybe it will be about someone Clara kills rather than how Clara dies. A moral event horizon being crossed, which causes the Doctor to abandon her in anger. I mean, he forgave her for intending to force him to change time to save Danny, but that was something he understands all too well. It was driven by grief. If she murders someone in cold blood, probably parroting ye olde "I'm doing what needs to be done." Maybe the old man just won't be able to face what he's turned her into anymore and will abandon her out of his own shame. Is that too dark for this show?

While it's too bad she had to forget and give up adventuring with him, the point was made when she first came on the scene that her life was quite the dead end. "Some money" means she can stop temping and travel the world.

But the whole point of her travelling and her arc is her learning that she's actually worth something - that she's not just some temp, she is/was 'the most important woman in all of creation'. She has a purpose and a positive effect on the universe. Giving her a lottery ticket in the hopes that she travels the world seems to ignore all that and just assume she was a bit bored.

Donna and Rose are proof that whatever happens to Clara, she should never, ever come back after she leaves.

I just realised that the Amazing Grace guitar riff is a reference to the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Matthew Bennell (Donald Sutherland) is trying to find a ship at the docks and make his escape, and his spirits are raised when he hears a radio playing Amazing Grace on the bagpipes. His hopes are dashed when the radio is turned off or retuned.

Finished season 6.

I still like River more than Rory and Amy. One nagging issue with the "twist".
The Doctor was inside the Doctor machine/replica/suit/vehicle so how was it about to regenerate?

Ophelion

It can perfectly replicate any lifeform, you don't think it can shoot some orange lights out the arms?

Yeah, it's not like he actually regenerates. It was probably just venting some kind of appropriately colored plasma. It only had to be convincing enough to fool two idiot humans, after all since River already knew.

But the whole point of her travelling and her arc is her learning that she's actually worth something - that she's not just some temp, she is/was 'the most important woman in all of creation'. She has a purpose and a positive effect on the universe. Giving her a lottery ticket in the hopes that she travels the world seems to ignore all that and just assume she was a bit bored.

Donna and Rose are proof that whatever happens to Clara, she should never, ever come back after she leaves.

I don't disagree that she was shafted, but at least there was some upside. That's all I was saying.

tomtom94

For fans of reading scripts, and not just those leaked online haha how funny would that be, they've officially released Series 9 episode 1 and 2 scripts as part of Writers Room, so you can see what they're like:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/doctor-who-series-9

Interesting - apparently there was another scene in TMA with Sarff catching up to the Doctor since scene 7 is "OMITTED". (thankfully) Also I don't think we got the two scenes with Clara on her motorbike, did we?

Finished season 6.

I still like River more than Rory and Amy. One nagging issue with the "twist".
The Doctor was inside the Doctor machine/replica/suit/vehicle so how was it about to regenerate?

This was a fixed point so he couldn't erase the regeneration. Instead he rigged the Tesselector to fake the regeneration.

I really adore River. It's a beautifully written and beautifully played part and, with Amy, is an example of a writer fully exploiting the possibilities of a series about time travel. I hope I didn't give too much away there.

On season 7...omg Jenna Coleman...hnnnng! :3

It can perfectly replicate any lifeform, you don't think it can shoot some orange lights out the arms?

true.
This was a fixed point so he couldn't erase the regeneration. Instead he rigged the Tesselector to fake the regeneration.

I really adore River. It's a beautifully written and beautifully played part and, with Amy, is an example of a writer fully exploiting the possibilities of a series about time travel. I hope I didn't give too much away there.

Yea I love River.

Quick

Banned
I didn't enjoy most of my time with lego DImensions (apart from Portal 2 levels) but this will suck me back in.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--EJADuhxb--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1503132420737852995.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's fucking awesome.

The guy who made the intro must be happy as hell seeing his idea really take off.

Top Bottom