• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

She's not dead. Missy teleported them, hence the blue haze and lack of body. Same trick missy pulled in the finale. Their teleporters are linked. Yawn.

Ashodin

holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit this season is gonna be nuts, isn't it?

I need next week's episode, Davros is gonna link the Doctor to the Daleks?

If Moffat has managed to keep it a secret that Clara dies in episode 1 then bravo Moffat.

No way that's the case, buuuut....

Given the trailer footage, I'd say neither Missy nor Clara are dead and its all going to get a bit timey wimey.
Either that or all their adventures happen before this two parter, but I'd go with the earlier.

TrueBlue

Time flies when you're having fun. That twist right at the start had me legit shook, actually shouted.

Highlights:

- Missy is still awesome, had some of the best lines
- The Doctor on guitar - I think Capaldi has been waiting to do that for a while
- Good to see you know who back after all this time, is it the same actor?
- Nice callbacks both to the classic series and previous NuWho series.

D_prOdigy

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

nice

Pluto

Missy and Clara are dead and the Tardis has been destroyed ... right. As if anyone's falling for that, they really shouldn't try to do cliffhangers like that, it's silly.

I loved Michelle Gomez performance in this, I hope she sticks around.

Boem

This is my shit. Awesome stuff. Can't wait for more.

Should I spend the rest of my saturday evening watching Tom Baker stories?

Yes.

I can see what early reviews were saying when they said Gomez channeled Delgado in this one. Good stuff.

Also loved all the little references to classic stories. "At least 3 versions of Atlantis"

Time flies when you're having fun. That twist right at the start had me legit shook, actually shouted.

Highlights:

- Missy is still awesome, had some of the best lines
- The Doctor on guitar - I think Capaldi has been waiting to do that for a while
- Good to see you know who back after all this time, is it the same actor?
- Nice callbacks both to the classic series and previous NuWho series.

Yea, Julien Bleach as Davros is a nice link.

Would love to know how he survived but it's probably just some teleporting that was off screen.

Razmos

The Davros twist at the start was interesting but then the episode went stupid with an inconsistent tone until the Clara/Missy scene, and then there was the Doctor playing guitar in a scene that was just far too long, i felt embarassed watching it, it was that cringey. And while the snake effects were brilliant the guy playing the snakes was AWFUL, total narm.

Thankfully the rest of the episode was better, though I barely even reacted to Clara dying because lol, obviously not.

TrueBlue

You guys act as if Missy/Clara being alive isn't completely telegraphed - they didn't make much of an effort to hide it here. Same with the TARDIS.

The key twist has already been pulled off with success.

The only decent part for me was the pre-credits sequence, then it went rapidly down hill. Very much like 'Listen'. Fantastic set up, awful delivery.

Felt far too self referential. Like Bessie having 'WHO 1' as a number plate. I prefer historicals that show a perspective on history, not meddle with the doctors.

Tregard

Soothsayer
You guys act as if Missy/Clara being alive isn't completely telegraphed - they didn't make much of an effort to hide it here. Same with the TARDIS.

The key twist has already been pulled off with success.

Why make it the lead in to the cliff hanger then?

Razmos

Also Missy dying would have been shocking enough, but then Clara AND the Tardis in quick succession? They made it far too obvious that it wasnt going to stick.

GavinUK86

Fantastic episode. Better than everything last season. S9 is off to a great start!

The entire episode was gif worthy.

Wow, what an opener. The
transition into Skaro
was amazing, as was the whole Doctor guitar thing. Even though the wait is going to be looooong, I'm so happy two parters are becoming regular again.

TrueBlue

Why make it the lead in to the cliff hanger then?

Timing issues maybe? I'm a little surprised that the series started with a two parter and not a longer episode ala Series 5.

Hell, maybe they'll surprise all with how telegraphed it is and actually deliver something genuinely shocking. I dunno.

In any case, the episode being the season opener undermines those kind of cliffhangers anyway - you know there must be something else afoot.

MrHoot

I think I enjoyed it but boy was it confusing

A very strong opener. Very very creepy, with the kid and all. And seeing the shadow proclamation was great.

Then it took really odd turns in the middle with unit which felt very expeditive. And then the medieval part I felt overstayed it's welcome.

It picked up near the end back on skaro but at that point it was already over, but it sets some pretty high stakes.

I'll have to give a second watch. I was confused through a big chunk of it

Probably like a 6 or 7 ? Good enough but i would've liked something better constructed, especially in the middle

Tregard

Soothsayer
Timing issues maybe? I'm a little surprised that the series started with a two parter and not a longer episode ala Series 5.

Hell, maybe they'll surprise all with how telegraphed it is and actually deliver something genuinely shocking. I dunno.

In any case, the episode being the season opener undermines those kind of cliffhangers anyway - you know there must be something else afoot.

I feel like the pacing of this series is going to be hella weird, all this jeopardy and chaos in episode 1 means any "romps" from here on out aren't going to gel well.

We shall see.

Mindwipe

Flatline and Mummy and the orient express were a 9 for me. This is a six.

The CGI was so awful at times.

This episode felt like it must have come in fairly hot (which is odd for the opener).

Some of the effects were *really* rough, even by modern Who standards.

Shame, because it was pretty awesome otherwise.

:/

I'm really ready for Moffat to move on, I'm just really bored of his writing style now. I haven't really liked an episode of his since Eleventh Hour.
Capaldi continues to be awesome however.

Trying to decide my favourite joke. Right now I'm going with "We are all the young DUDES!"

Also - I think praise is due, that despite the leaks, they didn't go with "he's BACK!" as the line to promote the series. They've got much better at knowing what to hold back. See, mutant daleks etc.

GavinUK86

8IOLPS2.gif

That was wonderful. Tossing around the series' holy relics with mad abandon, while still being fanny, compelling, chilling... Best modern season opener by a clear country mile, and amongst the most compelling single episodes we've had.

Fabulous cliffhanger, too- no, not Missy and Clara getting exterminated, or the TARDIS being destroyed, but the Doctor returning to Baby Davros. The deaths will be reversed, but whatever happens between the Doctor and Davros is the real meat here, and I cannot wait to see more.

Also, Davros got sarky in his old age. That face joke burned, and burned slow.

I foresee a BANNED.gif.

Didn't wanna wait until 9, so I spent most of the episode lurking here and on Twitter.

I got mostly bits and pieces, but the general reception seems to be pretty positive - with a healthy dose of WAT. I'm pretty excited for tonight.

The twist was in the first two minutes, and the last ten seconds. Everything else was just letting the consequences play out.

Also, Missy was fantastic. If she's a fraction as good in the second half, she's easily the best Master. That scene in the Spanish square was a tour-de-force.

Skaro reveal would have had infinitely more impact had it not appeared in Asylum of the Daleks.

Did not like the central conceit of kiddy davros at all, everything else was pretty good. Master was infinitely better then last series, and JULIAN BLEACH.

Kathian

Banned
That was wonderful. Tossing around the series' holy relics with mad abandon, while still being fanny, compelling, chilling... Best modern season opener by a clear country mile, and amongst the most compelling single episodes we've had.

Fabulous cliffhanger, too- no, not Missy and Clara getting exterminated, or the TARDIS being destroyed, but the Doctor returning to Baby Davros. The deaths will be reversed, but whatever happens between the Doctor and Davros is the real meat here, and I cannot wait to see more.

Also, Davros got sarky in his old age. That face joke burned, and burned slow.

I foresee a BANNED.gif.

"you are banned" fits it well.

MrHoot

One thing i missed completely tho which made me confused, but why is the doctor doing a party ? Why does he think he's about to die ? I completely missed that, i felt left out of something. That whole part of the plot felt very messy ?

You will be satisfied by the end of Ep 2. There's a few massive scenes to come.

I don't know if I care enough about this Davros situation to even feel a sense of anticipation. There'll have to be a spectacular twist or mind blowing revelation to make the amount of filler worthwhile. I've ran this scenario over in my head many times so I feel quite dull over the fact it has been made into two episodes.

I was a fan. Kinda strained under its own weight of having to be a first parter AND a premiere to a new season AND reintroduce a load of classic era stuff but it did it with such mad abandon that I kinda loved it. A beautiful mess in the best possible sense.

Missy was naturally awesome. Slightly more restrained which was nice. And her heel turn at the end was perfection. But man, Julian Bleach stole the show. Talk about owning the role. I love that he clearly has this meticulous trap for the Doctor but just kinda seems exhausted and can't be bothered to be his normally smarmy self.

The Doctor riding a tank and grinding a guitar is perhaps the pinnacle of the whole show.

And am I only the only one that thought baby Davros looked like Ellen Page?

It wasn't a heel turn. She meant to do that to get Clara and herself out. She needed the Daleks and Davros to believe they died.

What I don't understand so far is:
A) why the doctor thought he was going to die
B) why the doctor believes Clara and missy are dead. He has seen enough exterminations to know the result. Moffat using the same cop out again is very poor writing.

Qasiel

I really enjoyed the whole episode. As soon as Clara met Missy things got quite tense and didn't let up.

Loved The Doctor on his guitar; Probably one of the finest entrances I've seen! I did love the fact that his amplifier (as are quite a lot of electronics) was from Magpie Electricals.

Top Bottom