• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dokuro |OT| Friendzoned even after death

Takao

Banned
I remember it being mentioned that SCE had a wider variety of region-submissions than 360, and each one has a seperate cost, rather than submitting it all "to the world" for certification at once.

So, maybe the cost of a re-cert is holding it up, after some location-sensative error/concern was discovered?

Either way, I'm impressed they cleared it up, at least this much... seen enough times recently when stupid mysteries like that persist for a week or longer, with no answers...

Canada would be the same region submission as the US.

Two quick questions for the folks who imported the physical copy. Is the title on the spine of the case in Japanese, or did they use the logo (not a big deal - easy scan and fix if not), and do the trophies display in English if your system is set to English?

Two quick questions for the folks who imported the physical copy. Is the title on the spine of the case in Japanese, or did they use the logo (not a big deal - easy scan and fix if not), and do the trophies display in English if your system is set to English?
Spine of the case is in Japanese, white katakana on black background. Trophies do in fact display in English.

The DD one's trophies are in English too, as expected.
5siUj.png

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Canada would be the same region submission as the US.

Should be, yes, but I never claim for anything SCE related to make normal sense :) Obviously, there's SOMETHING that's making this particular download come up as "different" somewhere in there.

Noi

Argh, I was doing pretty good with ~1:30 or lower average per puzzle, then stage 04 came around. 4 minutes on some of the puzzles... :(

Noi

Holy uneven difficulty, Badman. You guys were right, Stage 05 and 06 were a walk in the park compared to 04. Really need to go back to that and get some better times though...

Edit: Hah, leaving Dokuro idle a bit makes him do a little dance. Hero mode just pulls out his sword and poses with it.

Edit2: Stage 08 now. ooooh boy.

Spine of the case is in Japanese, white katakana on black background. Trophies do in fact display in English.

Excellent, thanks! Just ordered the JP version from playasia while it's still available at that price. I'll just scan the cover and replace the text on the spine with the english logo when it arrives. :)

Noi

Got the Newbie Knight trophy for beating Stage 08... SOB. I certainly don't feel like a newbie by this point!

depward

I'm really enjoying this title. Like most others, everything was relatively easy... until stage 4. Specifically 4-6. Man alive. I spent a lot of time trying to figure that one out.

I'm enjoying the game's unique look, mostly good puzzle action (sans some frustrating stage 4 pieces), the soundtrack is not horrible but not brilliant... it has proven to be a very easy-to-play and fun game so far.

Noi

Every room I beat makes me want to write up a mini-guide just so people going through this don't have to suffer as much as I'm doing with no resource to go to for help, haha.

Venturing through Stage 09 now.
Water puzzles, help I'm drowning

Noi

Everything after Stage 13 = shit just got real. A bit stuck in 15-3 though... anyone else gotten this far?

Oh god I love this game. I love how even knowing the solution, it's not enough. I love how suddenly there's some really relaxing easy stages, then moments later you are brutally murdered by a hard one. I love how it breaks the normal patterns of puzzles games. It's full of "eureka" moments too. Just recently that section in stage 9

Where out of nowhere you have to drawn the big armored soldiers. I must've spent like 20 minutes before realizing it.

Takao

Banned
s0XKg.jpg

To celebrate next week’s holiday of spooks and treats, GungHo Online Entertainment America is holding a Dokuro-inspired Halloween “Chalk Master Fan Art Contest,” which will close on October 31 at 11:59 p.m.

Fans can send in their best drawings of Dokuro, the princess, or of the game’s baddies in a chalk-style art rendition for a chance to win a one of a kind artwork from the game’s creators.

Full details on the contest can be found here.

http://gematsu.com/2012/10/gungho-celebrates-halloween-with-dokuro-art-contest

extralite

I really enjoyed Dokuro too. I love how it brings so many quotes from so many games into one title (like a Tarrantino movie as a game, only that I know all the games it quotes ;) ), the Castlevania like castle map, the Ico moments, the Super Mario moments, the Mega Man moments, the growing stronger RPG moments. Perfect example of gameplay is the narrative and one of my favorite platformers ever. This and Gravity Daze made the Vita worth it for me already.

As for the difficulty, in the very last stage one of the levels took me like an hour to beat. Then some easier action levels followed but when the next seemingly ultra hard puzzle level arrived I said screw it, I'm gonna use the skip level function (which incidently I rediscovered at the time because I hadn't used it until then) to skip the last three levels before the final bosses. I don't feel cheap (and still had more unused skips left actually), I was just getting impatient wanting to finally face off with the last boss as the game kept adding length to itself. Fantastic bosses too, from the first to the last one.

Very meaty, very challenging, totally unpredictable despite being a best of platforming history, and super enjoyable. Cheap too.

Just finished it, it's incredible. At first it didn't feel very polished but the game just kept getting better.

One of the best games I've played this year. Challenging with some great "aha" moments. A unique style that really shined in cutscenes. A very lighthearted story full of likable characters.

And that ending
, so heartwarming :p

Sorry for the double post, but anyone knows a good place to get the "fall from a very high place" trophy?

I can't find any recommendation online.

Noi

Sorry for the double post, but anyone knows a good place to get the "fall from a very high place" trophy?

I can't find any recommendation online.

"in 13-9, there is a height on the far left: drop from here from the right of this platform and immediately move left, you'll fall to the base of the elevator where you ended the previous level and get this trophy."

I just googled "Skydiver Dokuro". :p

Noi

Thanks, now I only have to beat stage 14 untouched :p

Almost there!

Surprisingly not as hard as I expected! The real bastard is the
skeleton dragon
and his randomized bone tosses / consistently doing the different barrel placements without getting smacked. Everyone else is a breeeeeze.

leroidys

I really enjoyed Dokuro too. I love how it brings so many quotes from so many games into one title (like a Tarrantino movie as a game, only that I know all the games it quotes ;) ), the Castlevania like castle map, the Ico moments, the Super Mario moments, the Mega Man moments, the growing stronger RPG moments. Perfect example of gameplay is the narrative and one of my favorite platformers ever. This and Gravity Daze made the Vita worth it for me already.

As for the difficulty, in the very last stage one of the levels took me like an hour to beat. Then some easier action levels followed but when the next seemingly ultra hard puzzle level arrived I said screw it, I'm gonna use the skip level function (which incidently I rediscovered at the time because I hadn't used it until then) to skip the last three levels before the final bosses. I don't feel cheap (and still had more unused skips left actually), I was just getting impatient wanting to finally face off with the last boss as the game kept adding length to itself. Fantastic bosses too, from the first to the last one.

Very meaty, very challenging, totally unpredictable despite being a best of platforming history, and super enjoyable. Cheap too.

bNCmy.png

You're blowing my mind, extralite.

This just went in the "must buy" column.

Platinum get!

Amazing game, I would post some images if it wasn't such a hassle to upload them. I was taking screenshots like crazy during cutscenes.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Caved and downloading now. It's too cute :(

You shall not be disappointed! (I hope not?)

I've only been able to get through about 30 or so fully-complete stages, as been busy with lots of stuff, but really enjoy the game. Which is more than I can say about many puzzlers, as many of them lack the compelling, enjoyable gameplay, or graphical flair, to make me want to go through 100+ stages.

But I wanna see little Dokuro triumph, and I wanna get the Princess out of this deathtrap!

I've had fun with the boss battles so far (good ole classic gaming patterns and trickery...), and like the flair the graphics in stages get when shifting to Prince form. Just a charming game all around!

Koroviev

It awesome, keep playing it till the end. Stage 4 might discourage you, but it's great.

You shall not be disappointed! (I hope not?)

I've only been able to get through about 30 or so fully-complete stages, as been busy with lots of stuff, but really enjoy the game. Which is more than I can say about many puzzlers, as many of them lack the compelling, enjoyable gameplay, or graphical flair, to make me want to go through 100+ stages.

But I wanna see little Dokuro triumph, and I wanna get the Princess out of this deathtrap!

I've had fun with the boss battles so far (good ole classic gaming patterns and trickery...), and like the flair the graphics in stages get when shifting to Prince form. Just a charming game all around!

I absolutely love the aesthetic. It's incredibly charming. And I think I'll do alright with the puzzles. They remind me more of Ico and less of Professor Layton (I enjoy the Layton games, but I generally prefer more well-integrated puzzles).

And that's part of the reason Dokuro is so appealing to me right now. Between two jobs and school, I don't have a whole lot of time to devote to games right now. I'm slowly making my way through Virtue's Last Reward (really like it so far), but Dokuro seems like the perfect game to play in short bursts.

The ending is so simple yet heartwarming. I love it.

It's like a children picture book. A picture book with devilish puzzles.

That's certainly what the opening looks like. This game looks really nice in motion! :)

GhaleonQ

It had been a good while since Id played a good puzzle game boss. I didn't even think about that until you brought it up.

Spoilers for my end-of-year best list!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bought this game on an impulse and am really enjoying it so far even though I'm still in the first stage. I was surprised to see it get localized, but I'm glad it did.

Bought this game on an impulse and am really enjoying it so far even though I'm still in the first stage. I was surprised to see it get localized, but I'm glad it did.

Well, the original japanese version was fully localized from the beginning. Glad you are enjoying it, I liked it way more than what I though. I love the way it mixes up the pace, some stages 100% puzzle, others 100% platforming and others are everything in between.

Don't get discouraged by Stage 4 it's a huge step in difficulty but it goes away quickly.

This game seems more appealing than ACL at the moment. Decisions!

AC:L will be cheaper in a few weeks when everyone sells their pack in copy. This game won't get a price cut soon.

Both seem like good games though. I haven't played AC:L that much yet, but this game, THIS GAME, is really fun if you like a good mix of platforming and puzzles (as long as you don't expect it to control like Mario. It felt really floaty to me at first, but it's designed this way.)

Bosses in this game seem really hard. Any tips? I'm at the world 1 boss...

Most bosses are barely damaged by your sword, you have to use some other strategy. Chipping away with the sword is only useful while trying to lower your time.

As for the Stage 1 boss
you have to wait until he drops those boxes, then move the one with spikes beneath him.

Top Bottom