• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Neiteio

No kong letters but there's puzzle pieces in each level ( and sometimes more than the minimum of 5!). Come to think of it, they could probably have used kong letters and had the original Golden Temple as an unlock for getting kong on every level.

There's not a ton of foreground/background stuff but its there. Maybe since the levels were made for 3DS and it can be hard to see DK in the background on an OG system. More of an emphasis on long barrel blasts I'd say, but you'll get a bit of it. The levels definitely felt like a DKCR experience.
When you say "long barrel blasts," do you mean like Longshot Launch? :O

Also, puzzle pieces make sense -- they are extra levels like the K-levels, after all, which also only had puzzle pieces.

I do like your idea, though, of KONG letters unlocking the capstone Golden Temple level; it'd be kind of like treating it as a K-level in itself (in other words, unlocked by letters).

Sounds excellent, though. Oh man, I really want Monster to make a DKCR2 now. Send over a contingent of Retro artists to assist them and starting putting together a Kremling-filled, pirate-themed sequel!

(Or make Wave Race!)

Canon

Banned
The ghosting in this game is really bad. In Cranky's Shop there's a double image of everything. Almost ruins the selling point of this game...

When you say "long barrel blasts," do you mean like Longshot Launch? :O

Closer to the beginning of 1-3 and 5-1 I'd say. Regardless, two things I love about DKCR are its scale and crazy setpieces and the new levels didn't disappoint me in these areas.

Thinking a bit more, if it was up to me, I would have swapped out the K levels for the new Monster levels in each world and had the new world 9 consist of all the previous K levels. (so the first Monster level swaps with Platform Panic and so on). Difficulty would be a bit more balanced that way and each world would stick to a certain theme. At least for New Mode.

Mirror Mode unlocked. Time to die!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well, I'm almost up to the world 2 boss, and I can safely say so far that the hype was not blown out of proportion. This game really feels like a DKC game. It's like... the soul is there, the feel is right, and everything is set up in a way that it doesn't feel dated, but also doesn't stray from the formula that made DKC what it was to begin with.

I do think it relies too heavily on DKC1 as a base, especially in terms of music... and this is a "complaint" I hate to make, because DKC1 had amazing music. Kenji Yamamoto is a great composer in his own right, though (he still works at Retro and composed this game, right?) and I really wish he got to shine through with more original tracks. Seeing more Kongs would be nice, too.

zychi

Banned
I really wish Nintendo would realize they can release the older version of these games(dk1,2,3 etc) on the eshop a few months before the new game releases and make mucho dinero.

I'd love to have all of these games, all the Mario Karts, all the SMB on one machine.

Why won't you let me give you my money Nintendo?

Neiteio

I'd love to have the original DKC trilogy on 3DS. The GBA ports never seemed up to par; the colors were always off in them. A true port of the SNES games, with perfect colors and all, would be divine. Hey, speaking of those games, are they back on the Wii Virtual Console, or are they still taken down for whatever reason? I bought them all beforehand, but I hope they've been put back up for those who still want to buy them.

Drago

DKC trilogy is still gone.

Wish NoA gave us some warning about it. NoE gave an exact date for their removal, while NoA just took the games down without warning a week before the EU date. Missed out on buying DKC2 and 3 because of it (already have 1)

I hate NoA.

The old DKC games being on 3DS would clash with the idea of Returns 3D being on there. They're too similar in play style and would defer some people from buying the new game.

The old DKC games being on 3DS would clash with the idea of Returns 3D being on there. They're too similar in play style and would defer some people from buying the new game.

The original trilogy and Returns feel super different to me. Original focuses on static environments with aggressive enemies and Returns focuses on dynamic environments and more difficult platforming.

I bought this today. I'm only on the first world, but I will say this game is brilliant! (I never played it on Wii.) My only major issue with this game: it makes me want to eat bananas, but the grocery store is closed :(

Double-dipper here, loving every minute. The backgrounds and art in this game are simply sublime.

Only complaint is the framerate dips in the crazier levels. But still, this was a very worthwhile purchase for me.

Darkgran

I never played the Wii version.

This game is freaking amazing!! Level design is fantastic and finding secrets is so satisfying.

Loving it so far.

Neiteio

The original trilogy and Returns feel super different to me. Original focuses on static environments with aggressive enemies and Returns focuses on dynamic environments and more difficult platforming.
I agree. The original trilogy and Returns are distinctly different, with Returns being more weighty and deliberate, with an emphasis on dynamic environments. They share some DNA, though. There's the THUMP! and KER-PLUNK! of bopping a baddy (or barrel-rolling, or cartwheeling)... the rhythmic blasting out of barrels or leaping off vines... the sensation of scampering about on all fours, the result of a very particular combination of sound and animation. It's hard to describe, but there is definitely shared blood between the Rare and Retro takes on the franchise -- something deeper than similar sound effects and iconography. At any rate, all of the Country games are wonderful, imo.

Neiteio

check out packattack's 100% run for 3ds version, i think he is the world record holder for the wii dkcr time attacks as well as a bunch of other games.

Sorry if this was already posted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUZSJ8-wT1E
I'd just like to point out, the framerate in the actual game is a LOT smoother than that video. That video makes the framerate look all herky-jerky. Poorly encoded upload, perhaps? Because that pan at the start of World 3 didn't stutter at all when I played it.

Hale-XF11

This game just took over the #1 spot on my 3DS for average play time, clocking in at 3:05. I love this game so much.

eggwolio

I disagree. I think if they released the originals as a trilogy, either on a cart, download, or both, for twenty five bucks or so, they'd sell like crazy, right alongside the new one.

Gladly. Made some notes while playing that I'll expound upon.

-Frequent checkpointing - I can't say if this is factual, but checkpoints seemed a bit more frequent than in Retro's levels.

-Clever secrets - Often I found myself doing something impressive to reach an interactable object, only for that object to hold a lesser item. I would think "well, that would be a clever place to hide something", and later find an actual puzzle piece that was hidden in an even more clever location.

-Good level length - Not too long, not too short. They felt right.

-Level gimmicks either new or felt new - Some levels had entirely new gimmicks. Some had gimmicks based on other levels but used in new and fun ways. Some levels used multiple ideas from existing levels in combination with each other.

-Monster not afraid to have epic moments and scale - No lack of huge barrel blasts, vistas, or background/foreground interaction.

-Not the most challenging levels in the game but very satisfying nonetheless and never frustrating - Difficulty felt pretty much perfect. Level 8 (the volcano based level) felt like it belonged in that world but most of the others felt about world 5-7 in terms of difficulty. I don't think Monster was trying to make levels that rivaled the Golden Temple, but they felt good and always fair in challenge.

-No framerate issues - Self-explanatory.

-Checkpoints before barrel gauntlets (twice!) - A small touch that I really appreciate.

-Super clever puzzle piece in level 7 - It entertained me.

I was very impressed with the new levels. If Monster could create 70-ish levels with a great difficulty curve and a similar level of quality throughout, I'd buy a new game made by them in an instant. I think it worthy follow up to what I consider to be the best 2D platformer ever.

Thanks for the impressions. I might not get this since I beat the Wii version, but I'm definitely curious about how Monster handles a platformer.

Neo Child

Banned
I have lost count of how many times I've died on 1-K. That level is almost not even fun.

Nah, 1-K is one of my favourite levels. I love levels where you can combo bouncing on enemies smoothly and timing things just right. I didnt find it hard at all to be honest but thats what the new items are for (=

Nemesis_

UGGH MY STUPID CUNT FRIEND BOUGHT THIS FOR ME (well, picked it up using my money) BECAUSE I WAS WORKING AND NOW SHE IS MISSING IN ACTION FOR TWO DAYS AND KEEPS PROMISING TO DROP IT OFF AND DOESN"T AND NOW I CANT PLAY IT

iKXDW3VAGCbyh.gif

Nemesis_

Rage aside, what is the opinion of the new levels? Are they decent? Do they hold a candle to those offered in the original game?

Ein Bear

I love the soundtrack to this game. Some of the boss themes have shades of Metroid Prime about them, it's awesome!

NEO0MJ

Rage aside, what is the opinion of the new levels? Are they decent? Do they hold a candle to those offered in the original game?

The Xtortionist gave a few impression. They seem pretty fun, but not a reason to buy the game at full price if you already played it.

Gladly. Made some notes while playing that I'll expound upon.

-Frequent checkpointing - I can't say if this is factual, but checkpoints seemed a bit more frequent than in Retro's levels.

-Clever secrets - Often I found myself doing something impressive to reach an interactable object, only for that object to hold a lesser item. I would think "well, that would be a clever place to hide something", and later find an actual puzzle piece that was hidden in an even more clever location.

-Good level length - Not too long, not too short. They felt right.

-Level gimmicks either new or felt new - Some levels had entirely new gimmicks. Some had gimmicks based on other levels but used in new and fun ways. Some levels used multiple ideas from existing levels in combination with each other.

-Monster not afraid to have epic moments and scale - No lack of huge barrel blasts, vistas, or background/foreground interaction.

-Not the most challenging levels in the game but very satisfying nonetheless and never frustrating - Difficulty felt pretty much perfect. Level 8 (the volcano based level) felt like it belonged in that world but most of the others felt about world 5-7 in terms of difficulty. I don't think Monster was trying to make levels that rivaled the Golden Temple, but they felt good and always fair in challenge.

-No framerate issues - Self-explanatory.

-Checkpoints before barrel gauntlets (twice!) - A small touch that I really appreciate.

-Super clever puzzle piece in level 7 - It entertained me.

I was very impressed with the new levels. If Monster could create 70-ish levels with a great difficulty curve and a similar level of quality throughout, I'd buy a new game made by them in an instant. I think it worthy follow up to what I consider to be the best 2D platformer ever.

sajj316

Good game thus far. Hands are cramped due to trying to hit L button + A or B on certain parts of the game. Disappointed in 30 fps but the 3D is done reasonably well. I prefer 60 with AA though. Heck even a 30 with AA is fine with me. Some drops here and there is this is only level 1.

WOAH. I don't remember there being checkpoints in the Wii version's mirror mode. Am I crazy?

They kept the checkpoints in the original, mirror mode is funny in the sense that stage that i'd be cool with usually like springy spores suddenly turn much more horrifying with every bramble patch feeling like 5 times the threat it once was. Meanwhile karts and rockets are the same as ever.

Having replayed Blast and Bounce again i'm taking the K stage crown of difficulty away from Perilous Passage and giving it to B&B after it kicked my arse to the point of madness, I feel like it's too long for what it is.

Anyway i've finally reached the new stages, only done the first two so far but i'm pleased with what i've played, more on them all later but for now i'm going to point out that Monster did a fabulous job with the backgrounds of the first two stages, this games backgrounds are mad underrated for some reason, dense, detailed and ever changing as you progress through the stage, they deserve more love.

Edit: Sajj316: I found that R is actually more comfortable to hold than L for grabbing myself, I used L for most of the game out of hand claw habit but felt more comfortable after the switch.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Incredible game. Wow. One of the levels had a very Prime-esque synthy sound to it, made me smile.

I love how you can't see what's coming next - the levels change constantly, there's heaps of replayability (for the K O N G's and Puzzle Pieces) and the platforming is amazing. Really glad I picked this up.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
wow, Sunset Shore. So gooooooooooood

so good that it's the first level I tried my Time Trials skills and got a silver. AMAZING

SeZMehK

When I got the game for the wii, I only played the first two levels and I never played it again. I got the game again for the 3ds and I am loving it. Something about the wii version turned me off. This game is bringing back my childhood memories when I used to play dkc on the snes at my cousins house.
I would definitely recommend this game to someone.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
UGGH MY STUPID CUNT FRIEND BOUGHT THIS FOR ME (well, picked it up using my money) BECAUSE I WAS WORKING AND NOW SHE IS MISSING IN ACTION FOR TWO DAYS AND KEEPS PROMISING TO DROP IT OFF AND DOESN"T AND NOW I CANT PLAY IT

iKXDW3VAGCbyh.gif
That's a shame.

*goes back to playing*

Kenji Yamamoto is a great composer in his own right, though (he still works at Retro and composed this game, right?) and I really wish he got to shine through with more original tracks. Seeing more Kongs would be nice, too.
David Wise reinterpreted by Yamamoto... my 2 favourites videogame composers, it's like a dream! Also the original songs by Kenji are pretty good and sometimes "Primeish".

David Wise reinterpreted by Yamamoto... my 2 favourites videogame composers, it's like a dream! Also the original songs by Kenji are pretty good and sometimes "Primeish".

Numerous times in this game I feel like i've got Prime dipped in my DKC and it's nice.
In particular
Tidal Terror: Reminiscent of the deeper areas of Prime 2's Sanctuary Fortress at times, just with some funky jungle rhythm in the mix, also fits the DKC3 music style if I say so myself.
Furious Fire: It's really all to do with the chanting approach.
Final Boss Theme: My favourite new song in the game, straight up Prime like boss theme based upon one of DKCR's recurring themes.

Tuck

Anyone playing this on an original 3DS (not the XL)? Is using the d-pad comfortable? Its kind of in an awkward spot.

bitoriginal

Picked this up on a whim and goddamn, It's blown me away. The platforming is sublime and occasionally hard as nails. I actually feel like I felt when I played Donkey Kong Country on my SNES for the first time. Would definitely recommend anyone on the fence about this to grab it.

Right, I have tasted the various fruits of the new stages and they're all pretty good, The Xtortionist pretty much covered things well enough already so i'll be parroting for the most part, stage difficulty is below that of the K levels, in fact i'd say the difficulty of each theme does well to match that of the world it represents. I haven't picked up all the puzzle pieces yet but they show that Monster know how to handle hiding such things. They introduce quite a few unique stage gimmicks so they aren't just redoes of earlier stages, all in all they are a great addition to an already stellar stage lineup and maybe a DKCR2 could be left in monster's hands with success, I do need a DKCR2 so if it's up to them I sure as hell wont complain.

In case anyone wants more in depth stage spoilers...
*World 9 spoilers*
Stage 1: A basic but fun introduction to the new stages that supersizes a few of the jungles obstacles, notably the totem poles, it's main gimmick to me where platforms that would move across rails when you plonked down your weight on the edge, great visual effect with some barrel canons blasting you through the trees towards the back end, crank up the 3D for it.

Stage 2: Geyser gimmick galore and it's always a reliable one for platformers, loved the early background with the estuary sort of look, the stage gradually transitions away from the beach to sea caverns, spiky coral, bigger geysers, just good old fun really that's also surprisingly long yet doesn't overstay its welcome.

Stage 3: Oh yes, one of my favourite platforming pieces in this one, the pursuing wall of death, the first half of the stage is pretty basic stuff but the back half while not too taxing by any stretch has some fun sprints away from a spiky wall. What really put this over for me was a brief respite from the chase as a canon blasts you out of the ruins and back to the jungle exterior and when that's done you get fired back into the ruins with another wall of death immediately kicking into pursuit, lovely.

Stage 4: I really liked how the cave stage is half minecart and half standard platforming, I always thought the cave setting could have done with at least one more standard stage outside of the carts and rockets, what few cart sections there are in here are still pretty tricky requiring some strict timing, the on foot stuff was like a toned down canon cluster which is an improvement on that gimmick. Loved an early fake out with the first mine cart section.

Stage 5: Nice sense of both vertical and horizontal progression in this stage, the main gimmick being rotating log platforms which have a sort of beat/rhythm to them that goes nicely with Treetop Rock returns, a slower paced stage and a very solid one at that that approaches platforming in the same way other forest stages tended to.

Stage 6: Probably my least favourite of the new stages, it can be quite tricky at points, in fact checkpoint pig did come to check up on me to my shame. That falling tar starts off in situations that wont kill you outright if caught by it but as the stage progresses it ramps up the difficulty suitably to the point that if Kong gets tarred he's going down which is how such things should be handled. Some things felt a bit unclear, the tar falling patterns at points and the initial discovery of the spike like dinosaur bones with the rising platforms, I don't know, maybe I was just sucking at this one. Still much like the cliffs itself it may end up growing on me on replays.

Stage 7: Standard Factory Stage, lots of crushing action if I recall but it doesn't match up to Slammin' Steel from World 7 on that point. Solid if not spectacular utilising other elements of some factory stages but probably weaker than the rest of them. Did like the use of the spark like enemies to act as switch triggers even if it's not that different to the similar idea in jagged jewels. Might need to play it again to get a better impression, felt like a bit of a breather stage in between two tougher ones.

Stage 8: Now this was a good one and a tough one at points, the central rotating stone wheel gimmick leads to some fast paced sections whether that's on the exterior jumping across the stone outcrops or in the interior of a slowly turning passage inching closer to the lava with each second, this one could be slotted in World 8 itself with no problem.

Stage 9: It's the Golden Temple Again, i'm just taking this opportunity to vent about it, it's still a bastard of a stage for me, tricky precision platforming at points, annoying spearhead firing masks are the ultimate hazard as far as i'm concerned, that one bit with the three cherries teetering, somehow it always gets me. Definitley a stage that can eat away the lives if you start getting frustrated though in reality it's not that tough, the lack of checkpoints and no Diddy barrel just force you to grow the extra chest hair necessary to meet the challenge. Oh and the noise the Koalas make upon death is amazing.

I'll probably post something about the whole game itself and this port in particular later on, you already know i'll be gushing praise of course.

Chuckpebble

I played the Wii game again yesterday. I have a file that's at 165%. Fell right back into it. I think I'm gonna hold off on getting this one now. Getting shiny gold speed runs using the wiimote kinda builds muscle memory. I'm afraid I'd shake the top screen off my 3DS out of reflex action.

Out of curiosity, what are the button mappings in this? Are there customizable layouts?

Top Bottom