• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Neiteio

Nah, 1-K is one of my favourite levels. I love levels where you can combo bouncing on enemies smoothly and timing things just right. I didnt find it hard at all to be honest but thats what the new items are for (=
Yeah, I love 1-K. It takes me somewhere around 10-20 attempts to beat it each time I play, but even failed runs perfectly scratch my itch for platforming. 1-K is probably my most revisited stage.

Did anyone else catch the new Zelda reference in Cranky's Shop?

http://youtu.be/TbpVmCVjyWE
Ha, awesome reference. Also, I didn't realize he says different things if you linger over an item and wait (several different things, in fact, before falling asleep in his chair!), and I didn't pick up on how the background seen outside the window changes with each world. Neat!

*amazing impressions of new levels*
Excellent impressions! Oh man, I want Monster to take a crack at a full-blown DKCR2 now. Perhaps Retro could lend them a hand here and there, supplying a small contingent of artists/designers to aid in development. But it would seem Monster is plenty capable on the level design front.

Between this game's re-release (which I'm sure will sell well, on top of how well the Wii original already sold) and Nintendo's strong marketing of it (including a man in a DK suit at various zoos!), I hope Nintendo sees sequel potential for the Country series, capitalizing on the renewed goodwill for the franchise. :)

eternalb

Ha, awesome reference. Also, I didn't realize he says different things if you linger over an item and wait (several different things, in fact, before falling asleep in his chair!), and I didn't pick up on how the background seen outside the window changes with each world. Neat!

Yeah, I totally didn't catch any of those things too. The attention to detail is insane

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I just now unlocked it. Holy. Crap. This is no joke.

edit: oh man, I'm hilariously bad at this, olol

seriously, this is some Lost levels shit right there

but I cant stop trying. I think I've actually made it towards the end, i saw a barrel!

Ein Bear

Is there any reason to save up coins, or had I might as well spend them all on lives? I've been holding off buying anything except for level keys so far, just in case.

Animal

Banned
When in the 3DS menu with the cursor on this game, you can blow into the mic to make Donkey Kong go around faster.

Is there any reason to save up coins, or had I might as well spend them all on lives? I've been holding off buying anything except for level keys so far, just in case.

You'll be buried in coins by the end of the game so go nuts with them, bouncing off multiple enemies in a row leads to more coins so it's easy to rack them up.

DonMigs85

Between this game's re-release (which I'm sure will sell well, on top of how well the Wii original already sold) and Nintendo's strong marketing of it (including a man in a DK suit at various zoos!), I hope Nintendo sees sequel potential for the Country series, capitalizing on the renewed goodwill for the franchise. :)

Yeah that was cute

donkey-kong-la-zoo-featured.jpg

donkey-kong-la-zoo-dk1.jpg

donkey-kong-la-zoo-nintendo-1.jpg

ASIS

Anyone playing this game as single player cannot say they have experienced DKCR. This game is made of co-op.

How does this game compare to DKC2? I'm thinking of getting it
Almost as good as DKC2, arguably better. Note that DKC2 is my favourite platformer of all time, to be mentioned in the same breath as it is the highest of praise.

That level was an awesome surprise.

Is there any way to maim, kill, disable, or baconify that smarmy effing pig who constantly reminds me that I'm bad at the game?
No, you will suffer the spectacled swine every time you fall to another frustration induced death, you will lower in on the balloon while he taunts you with his start button prompt and in turn you will become more enraged and die some more, it's a vicious cycle.

Anyone playing this game as single player cannot say they have experienced DKCR. This game is made of co-op.
The co-op pretty much demands that both players be good at the game, I remember this game getting some flak for its co-op back on the Wii version but clearly they've never done stages like platform panic and switcheroo in co-op, once you do that successfully you feel like the king of kong.
Flawed in execution but fun with someone who knows what they're doing, not sure if this version improves it in any way.

Sendou

I bought this and oh my it's a big file! I have to buy a new and bigger SD card before downloading it. I could have deleted games but it if really deletes saves too then I'm not as eager to do so.

NEO0MJ

Is it 100% confirmed that Monster made the levels, or that Retro helped them at all, or even made them?

Pretty sure it was said that Monster handled everything in this game, though I'm sure they went back to Nintendo and Retro for suggestions and feedback.

How does this game compare to DKC2? I'm thinking of getting it

It's pretty different but it's a still a great DKC game.

Skilletor

Sigh. Why can't I use the face buttons to roll with the dpad?

Game is great, but developers need to stop forcing me to use their control schemes. :/

AntMurda

Pretty sure it was said that Monster handled everything in this game, though I'm sure they went back to Nintendo and Retro for suggestions and feedback.

LOL. "Who" said that. The credits show Monster Games and as usual Nintendo SPD. Obviously Retro handed over assets and such.

NEO0MJ

LOL. "Who" said that. The credits show Monster Games and as usual Nintendo SPD. Obviously Retro handed over assets and such.

I meant the porting, not the actual development of the game. I don't think any other team was mentioned in any announcement before release. I don't have this game so I can't see the credits.

Currygan

aaaand 1-K done. Felt good man

played all the way through world 2, and now it's 2-K time

just tried it

tumblr_m2h5ruRlpt1rqzioeo1_400.gif

Hey gaf I just bought a 3ds Xl here is my friend code 2852-7663-1556. Don't know where else to post this but feel free to add me.

eggwolio

I can't get through the raining cannonballs at the end of Cannonball Cluster. I'm seriously considering starting over on easy mode. I've died probably forty times here.

Hey gaf I just bought a 3ds Xl here is my friend code 2852-7663-1556. Don't know where else to post this but feel free to add me.

Have you picked up Luigi's Mansion yet? In the OT for that one, there is a whole list where GAFfers post their friend codes for multiplayer. Hope you're ready to receive lots of swapnotes!

Tnetennba

Alright, I forgot how much the barrel rocket level in world 7 makes me want to tear my own face off.

You are my nemesis barrel, I shall not rest until you are splinters.

I'm not new and had no idea you could do that, then again it took me a while to realise where the microphone was.

I've had the console for a year and a half and only worked out a couple of days ago why some icons would spin around sometimes. I did not feel clever.

I just beat world 8, I'm pretty sure the super guide popped up in every level. I WANNA DO IT MYSELF, DAMMIT. This is probably my favorite platformer of all time now, and better than the other DKCs, in my own ranking.

Now to beat the K levels!

aaaand 1-K done. Felt good man

played all the way through world 2, and now it's 2-K time

just tried it

tumblr_m2h5ruRlpt1rqzioeo1_400.gif

Some are easily harder than that but trust me, over time you will be able to breeze through most of them as you have to replay them over and over again and eventually become one with them.

branny

Sigh. Why can't I use the face buttons to roll with the dpad?

Game is great, but developers need to stop forcing me to use their control schemes. :/
Complete button customization capability should've been an industry standard by now, if even just to help accommodate disabled players.

I actually was just playing some Kirby Super Star Ultra earlier today and totally forgot how poorly the controls were handled in that game.

Currygan

Some are easily harder than that but trust me, over time you will be able to breeze through most of them as you have to replay them over and over again and eventually become one with them.

yeah I just found that after wasting 32 lives on 1-K, I could basically do it blindfold. Those banana coins are going to come in handy

You haven't seen anything yet.

well fuck me then! I'm gonna rip the 3DS to pieces before I finish this game, i know it

Veal

This is a game that makes me wish the Circle Pad Pro was supported in the OS rather than per game. The CPP's shoulder buttons would be a god send in this game.

Neiteio

100% completed (as in all puzzle pieces and all KONG letters) up through World 5 now. The level with the wave of spiders was MADNESS for collecting letters.

Time for the Cliffs!

Draconian

After reading the last page, I decided to take a break before playing 1-K. I guess I should buy some balloons before I go back to try it lol

After reading the last page, I decided to take a break before playing 1-K. I guess I should buy some balloons before I go back to try it lol

You really don't need to buy any balloons. The way the enemies are placed, for every time you die, you'll have already earned another life. So theoretically, you can keep playing infinitely until you win. Good luck!

Top Bottom