• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Neiteio

Who ever put the O on 4-3 should be fired, seriously.
OK, I'll admit it

image.png

K' Dash

I remember very well when playing the Wii version, 1-K being the mos difficult special level for me, the rest while not easy I did them in 10 tries or so.

I did that level a few hours ago and kept myself with 30-31 lives, I'd get a red baloon or two every attempt, it took me like 30-40? and those puzzle pieces at the end of the level, Damn.

Neiteio

None of my cheat items could make snagging every letter in Muncher Marathon any easier, though. Nope, I had to do that one LEGIT. I simultaneously loathe that level with the deepest psychological revulsion (bouncing off spider egg-sacs, UGH), yet at the same time I can't help but admire the art and design. It's a turbulent relationship, me and that level.

Still strongly debating on whether to get this. I have a backlog + haven't even done everything on the Wii version, so I might just wait a little longer. Glad to hear the new levels are good, though.

SuperSah

Banned
After over 100 attempts, I nailed 1-K. I now have over 600 banana coins.

Yep, not easy! Also, missing many puzzle pieces in World 2 and I won't move on until I find them!

So far, loving this game, never played it on Wii and it's AWESOME in 3D!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised how well hidden the puzzle pieces are

Majine

Banned
I think this game is gorgeous. Just super vibrant and saturated colors, I love it. Especially the forest world.

Peru

Prehistoric Path, man alive, now that's a genius level through and through.

Looking at preorder charts it's safe to say this will do reasonably well. I'm very happy Nintendo has two commercially attractive platforming series going. Especially as when it comes to 2D Mario isn't quite cutting it these days while this is masterful and inspired gaming.

I am LOVING this game.

I have found myself in a bit of a gaming rut as of late, just playing too many middling games that didn't grab me, and DKCR is reminding me why I game.

Every single aspect of this game seems to have been crafted with care and it's those little touches that make this a masters' class in game design and what sets it apart from the herd. The way the theme changes slightly depending on the region you're in reminds me of how neat it was to have the bongo drums kick in when you jumped on yoshi for the first time in Super Mario World. The levels are vibrant and animated and the way they respond and interact with DK just makes this game burst off the screen as a living breathing world. There's just so many moments where the game instills a sense of magic that is all too rare in gaming now and the fact they're doing it with hardware that is anything but high end only speaks to how important game design and art direction are in crafting an experience.

This is obviously redundant when posted in a thread about the game but I just wanted to make a special point to anyone in this thread who is waffling on this game; buy it, no questions asked, it is a special experience. Every other level I run into a moment where I feel I need to show it to a friend and it's been a long time since I've felt that way or had those moments appear in such perpetuity. Well done Nintendo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is it just me or do the colors seem kinda washed out? And I'm getting framerate issues in some areas...

1-K just made me depressed at how bad I am at this game. I don't know how many times I died, but it seemed like 50.
I feel you, had to get used to pressing the jump button again upon hitting an enemy. That last 3 enemy line/spike jump before the level end barrel in 1K got me far too many times.

Is it just me or do the colors seem kinda washed out? And I'm getting framerate issues in some areas...
A little bit, but it's still colorful/vibrant enough I think. The major issue I have is the IQ is really bad at times, super bad aliasing nearly everywhere except some of the background art. Framerate honestly isn't bothering me that much anymore, frustrating compared to the Wii version but playable. Is annoying how it's a bit random in terms of where it drops.

Loved this game on the Wii, and love it even more on the 3DS. Nintendo's handheld has been on fire throughout all of 2013, and even though a noteworthy game has come out every month; Fire Emblem, Luigi, Castlevania, I kinda all stopped playing those games.

Not because I was unhappy with any of them, I just got way too busy to finish them. DKCR3D on the other hand, I'm just RIPPING through. Feels so good to play it again, but this time, it's just better!

The 3DS's Persona 4 The Golden, for sure. At least for me, :p

Finally came in the post, though with no pre-order banana. It's as good as the Wii game although I think if you didn't know the levels it could be quite confusing playing on an original 3DS; DK is pretty tiny. Love not having to hold down run or shake the remote.

Also DK floating on a balloon on 3DS menu is hilarious. I spent about a minute blowing the microphone just to watch him fly around really fast.

Just got this game at Best buy and received the Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels as a bonus, apparently it's not just for pre-orders but for regular purchases as well (it's in their paper ad). Anyway, game is a blast! I couldn't put it down at all last night. I haven't had this much fun with a platformer in what feels like forever.

Neiteio

"Return to the Returns" would've been a funny OT title. :p

As for how the game looks, it's just as colorful and vibrant as I remember the Wii version -- if anything, I'm astounded all over again by how amazing this game looks.

No stuttering. Framerate seems perfectly smooth at 30 fps. Also, everything is so crisp and clear and solid-looking in 3D.

I think, on a moment-to-moment basis, this might be the best platformer ever. There is literally not one moment where I'm not having fun. I'm indefatigable no matter how many times I have to retry a section. This is because the mechanics of running and rolling and jumping and bopping is so FUN, and the pacing from one bit to the next, and the variety throughout, is truly master-class.

Draconian

Sloppy Sands (2-2) is a fantastic level. I thought I somehow missed a bunch of the KONG letters, but they're all towards the end of the level.

Hale-XF11

I think, on a moment-to-moment basis, this might be the best platformer ever.

This is definitely the most fun I've ever had with a side scrolling platformer. I'm constantly dazzled by the environments, level design, music, pacing, etc. It's one of those rare games, where when I wake up in the morning, I can't wait to play it again. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much it has me hooked. Retro has amazed me with everything else they've ever done, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

I feel you, had to get used to pressing the jump button again upon hitting an enemy. That last 3 enemy line/spike jump before the level end barrel in 1K got me far too many times.

A little bit, but it's still colorful/vibrant enough I think. The major issue I have is the IQ is really bad at times, super bad aliasing nearly everywhere except some of the background art. Framerate honestly isn't bothering me that much anymore, frustrating compared to the Wii version but playable. Is annoying how it's a bit random in terms of where it drops.

goddammit. I'm really starting to regret replacing my og ds with an xl. I can't stand the aliasing. With the framerate drops and hearing some concerns with the controls I may return this.

bangai-o

Banned
the 3d in this game is great. Other games I usually might turn it off after a while, but I leave the 3d on for this game.

DonMigs85

It's strange, the minor framerate instability seems to occur almost randomly.
I wonder if Nintendo can release another 3DS system update placebo hehe

I think, on a moment-to-moment basis, this might be the best platformer ever. There is literally not one moment where I'm not having fun. I'm indefatigable no matter how many times I have to retry a section. This is because the mechanics of running and rolling and jumping and bopping is so FUN, and the pacing from one bit to the next, and the variety throughout, is truly master-class.

This game is almost impossibly good. The mechanics are stellar from the most basic (walking/jumping) to the more advanced (roll jumping). The levels designs are endlessly clever, challenging, and never resort to cheap or frustrating tactics. Every action performed in the game elicits satisfying feedback. Goddamn. I have it at my number one among 2D platformers and would put it over any 3D platformer.

Reception on GAF has been overwhelming positive. Seen a couple of people peg it as their new number one as well. I hope Nintendo is taking note and continues with the franchise while the iron is hot.

Neiteio

This is definitely the most fun I've ever had with a side scrolling platformer. I'm constantly dazzled by the environments, level design, music, pacing, etc. It's one of those rare games, where when I wake up in the morning, I can't wait to play it again. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much it has me hooked. Retro has amazed me with everything else they've ever done, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

This game is almost impossibly good. The mechanics are stellar from the most basic (walking/jumping) to the more advanced (roll jumping). The levels designs are endlessly clever, challenging, and never resort to cheap or frustrating tactics. Every action performed in the game elicits satisfying feedback. Goddamn. I have it at my number one among 2D platformers and would put it over any 3D platformer.

Reception on GAF has been overwhelming positive. Seen a couple of people peg it as their new number one as well. I hope Nintendo is taking note and continues with the franchise while the iron is hot.
I wholeheartedly agree! I'd also like to note, something particularly impressive about DKCR is the surgical precision to the controls. DK is weighty but quick on his feet, capable of making minute adjustments mid-air to negotiate even the most compact and crumbly of platforms.

Or take this moment from the Cliffs, for example, where to reach the last puzzle piece in one level, you have to roll off a rocky outcropping on the right side of the screen, shoot out beneath a blast barrel in the middle (so as to not end the level) and jump midair a split-second afterwards, thus clearing the gap and reaching the cactus hiding the puzzle piece on the outcropping on the left side of the screen. It's like threading a needle, so narrow is the clearance between the blast barrel you're trying to avoid and the point at which you can jump again midair. And yet, the speed and power and responsiveness of DK allows you to pull it off like second nature. The platforming here is top-notch.

And now that they've established the flow, the feel, the mechanics, and the handling, I hope they make sequels utilizing the same groundwork. The heavy-lifting is out of the way -- figuring out what a modern DKC game would play like -- and now all that's left is to imagine, and execute on, new level concepts for a sequel. :)

goddammit. I'm really starting to regret replacing my og ds with an xl. I can't stand the aliasing. With the framerate drops and hearing some concerns with the controls I may return this.
Whaaaaaaaaa? No no no. This game looks AMAZING on an XL. It's like a living cartoon, practically bursting off the screen. And with 3D on full, I don't notice any aliasing, since everything seems more "rounded" with the addition of true depth separating all of the elements. It's crisp, it's clear, it's colorful, and it absolutely controls better than ever.

addyb

I loved this on the Wii and was a little hesitant to get it on the 3DS as its pretty much just a straight port. But I'll be damned. I actually prefer the 3DS version. Plays and looks great on the XL.

I cannot remember a period of time since the SNES where I've enjoyed so many Nintendo games in such a short space of time.

Luigi's mansion, fire emblem, DKCR with Animal Crossing in just over 2 weeks.

Great times :)

Bgamer90

Banned
This game... is so...

GOOD.

Haven't felt this way about a platformer since Rayman Origins.

This has been the 2D platformer comeback gen.

A couple of things come to mind playing through this:

1) Forgot Donkey Kong is actually Donkey Kong Jr. in the Country games. Explains Diddy and the absence of Jr. Keep forgetting that.

2) Never got a chance to play the second and third DKC games. I really want to now. What was the reason they were pulled from the VC? Is it a license thing with Rare? I'd assume it wouldn't matter since Nintendo owns the DK franchise. Makes no sense.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A couple of things come to mind playing through this:

1) Forgot Donkey Kong is actually Donkey Kong Jr. in the Country games. Explains Diddy and the absence of Jr. Keep forgetting that.

2) Never got a chance to play the second and third DKC games. I really want to now. What was the reason they were pulled from the VC? Is it a license thing with Rare? I'd assume it wouldn't matter since Nintendo owns the DK franchise. Makes no sense.

Nobody has any idea.

Linius

Finally got it today. Only had to time to go trough the first level a couple of times. Skills are rusty but it was much fun. The game looks great, the music brings back memories and I know I'm going to enjoy this game very much :D

Peru

Looks sharp on the XL. Arguably looks sharper than the Wii game, obv with half the framerate, but still.

SuperSah

Banned
2-K is clever in terms of design. Need to find the last puzzle piece before moving on.

This game is quality. The tidal wave level was awesome with bananas flying off the screen right past your eyes. It's amazing
I love the controls, the interaction with the envrionment. Truly one of the best side-scrollers I have ever played and it's almost too satisfying to beat that hard level or make a successful death jump to nab that KONG letter or puzzle piece before swiftly moving on.

Anyone on the fence, get this game. It's a
masterclass in platforming which will kick your ass in a way which'll make you return even more! I'm on a original 3DS and have no issues with screen size incase anyone's wondering. Runs super smoothly, graphics truly pop in 3D. Amazing amazing game. It's so good, i've actually not touched MH3U since release. And that's bad because i'm addicted to MH3U!

Anyway, pick this up and do yourself a favour.

Neiteio

Looks sharp on the XL. Arguably looks sharper than the Wii game, obv with half the framerate, but still.
Yeah, it looks sharper on the 3DS because it's made for the screen. It's not like the Wii version where you'd be playing an SD game on an HDTV.

Top Bottom