• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

brinstar

FINALLY beat 1-K. I think it took me like 50 tries, good lord. I love how unforgiving this game is.

I had the Wii version but I think I like this one even more. Although I was never one to complain about the motion controls, the buttons make things way more comfortable.

And yeah, I agree that this is one of the best sidescrollers ever. Destroys the original DKC games IMO. It's super addictive, and I'm having no problem replaying the game again. This time I'm going to go for 100% completion! Hopefully I don't destroy my 3DS out of rage...

And yeah, I agree that this is one of the best sidescrollers ever. Destroys the original DKC games IMO.

It's only missing one thing:
ibfft8SU3IphdS.gif

*hears Neiteio approaching*

One of the small details that I love in this game is how the first level of each world is linked to the theme of the previous world right at the start, most notable in the forest where you exit the caves by launching up the hollow tree.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wholeheartedly agree! I'd also like to note, something particularly impressive about DKCR is the surgical precision to the controls. DK is weighty but quick on his feet, capable of making minute adjustments mid-air to negotiate even the most compact and crumbly of platforms.

Or take this moment from the Cliffs, for example, where to reach the last puzzle piece in one level, you have to roll off a rocky outcropping on the right side of the screen, shoot out beneath a blast barrel in the middle (so as to not end the level) and jump midair a split-second afterwards, thus clearing the gap and reaching the cactus hiding the puzzle piece on the outcropping on the left side of the screen. It's like threading a needle, so narrow is the clearance between the blast barrel you're trying to avoid and the point at which you can jump again midair. And yet, the speed and power and responsiveness of DK allows you to pull it off like second nature. The platforming here is top-notch.

And now that they've established the flow, the feel, the mechanics, and the handling, I hope they make sequels utilizing the same groundwork. The heavy-lifting is out of the way -- figuring out what a modern DKC game would play like -- and now all that's left is to imagine, and execute on, new level concepts for a sequel. :)

Whaaaaaaaaa? No no no. This game looks AMAZING on an XL. It's like a living cartoon, practically bursting off the screen. And with 3D on full, I don't notice any aliasing, since everything seems more "rounded" with the addition of true depth separating all of the elements. It's crisp, it's clear, it's colorful, and it absolutely controls better than ever.
This is somewhat off-topic, and I apologize for that, but: have you ever considered journalism, Neiteio? Your opinions and commentary are always spot on, and interesting to read.

Also, I got to world 4. This game doesn't let up, and at this rate, I don't expect the game's quality to diminish at all.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Would you believe me if I said the best worlds are yet to come?
Actually... yes. And I'm excited just thinking about it. I haven't even heard where the Life in the Mines and Aquatic Ambiance remixes come into play, yet, and I have the highest hopes for when they do.

We're all in agreement that the run from World 5 to World 7 in particular is like some straight up god tier stuff right?
Across these three worlds you get some of the very best stage gimmicks, the strongest traditional style platforming and even the best cart and rocket stages in the game.

One of the small details that I love in this game is how the first level of each world is linked to the theme of the previous world right at the start, most notable in the forest where you exit the caves by launching up the hollow tree.
Everything about this game is amazing. The only reason why the Wii original doesn't have a 95% on Metacritic is because the reviewers made up complaints.

So seriously, am I missing something with the time attacks? I know you have to roll a lot, and I'm usually pretty damn good at platformers, but I just cannot do these time attacks at all.

Neiteio

Everything about this game is amazing. The only reason why the Wii original doesn't have a 95% on Metacritic is because the reviewers made up complaints.
Critics making up shit seems plausible when you have craziness like one reviewer knocking points because the game is "too easy," lol. What version of DKCR did he/she play? Even on the 3DS version's "New Mode," I find myself whipped on a regular basis. (I also beat the Wii version, for the record.)

RE: elements from Rare's trilogy I'd like to see returns in a sequel to Returns (lol): Definitely Enguarde and Squitter. I suspect they experimented with underwater levels while making DKCR since there is concept art of one in the bonus galleries. If they can find a way to make underwater levels fast and fun, Enguarde would be well-suited for them. As for Squitter... I'm sure they could integrate him well, but if I must be honest, I just think he looks so fly with his eight sneakers!

I also wouldn't mind seeing Dixie Kong and Funky Kong. And of course, K. Rool and the Kremlings need to come back... in pirate form! Hell, just make it a Returns-style remake of DKC2, lol.

Ahhh the childhood feels this game is giving me, love it. Slightly lower framerate puts this below Rayman Origins for me, though. It's not terrible by any means(certaintly not 3DS Castlevania levels), but noticeable for a platformer. The tighter controls do somewhat make up for it.

Having some difficulty with the time trials. I can barely land a gold on the first level, let alone anything else. Breezed through Rayman Origins, but this....this is different. Any tips for a newcomer? Haven't really played a Donkey Kong game in years.

Neiteio

I just realized this game has no bad levels. Literally not one stinker in the bunch. What other game of this magnitude can make such a claim? Not many, I reckon.

I have every puzzle piece and KONG letter up through the Cliffs now. Next time I play, I'll be in what is perhaps my favorite world -- the Factory. Although picking a "favorite" world in a game as well-made as this is folly. I just know I'm really looking forward to Foggy Fumes and Gear Getaway!

Speaking of Foggy Fumes, Mr. Game & Watch still makes a cameo in the 3DS version, right?

I just realized this game has no bad levels. Literally not one stinker in the bunch. What other game of this magnitude can make such a claim? Not many, I reckon.

I've beat everything up through the Cliffs 100% now. Next time I play, I'll be in what is perhaps my favorite world -- the Factory. Although picking a "favorite" world in a game as well-made as this is folly. I just know I'm really looking forward to Foggy Fumes and Gear Getaway!

Handy Hazards is my favorite from that world. So ridiculously creative.

This game.

Neiteio

Handy Hazards is my favorite from that world. So ridiculously creative.

This game.
Oh man, the "eye guy" in that level is such a brilliant bit of iconography. Him and "Squiddicus" from the Beach world are two background characters I'll always associate with this game.

Also, I edited in a question: Is Mr. Game & Watch still in Foggy Fumes?

ChaosXVI

As lazy as it would seem to just do a similar re-imagining of DKC2, I would absolutely love it. DKC-2 is easily the best of the original trilogy, and if Retro does indeed have a 'Team B' now, it would be easy money for Retro certainly, as the first outsold the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Seriously envious of all these people who are discovering the magic of this game for the first time. It really doesn't get the notoriety it deserves. It completely shits on every 2D Mario game except SMB3 and World.

Neiteio

As lazy as it would seem to just do a similar re-imagining of DKC2, I would absolutely love it. DKC-2 is easily the best of the original trilogy, and if Retro does indeed have a 'Team B' now, it would be easy money for Retro certainly, as the first outsold the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Seriously envious of all these people who are discovering the magic of this game for the first time. It really doesn't get the notoriety it deserves. It completely shits on every 2D Mario game except SMB3 and World.
Where did you hear Retro has a B-team? This port was handled by the people at Monster Games. :)

But I totally agree: A re-imagining of DKC2 would be EXCELLENT.

Mr Game and Watch is still there, I have just checked and in turn also noticed 25M in the background at the start as well as the various dinosaur bones to show the switch from the cliffs to the factory, these backgrounds are magnificent.

Neiteio

Mr Game and Watch is still there, I have just checked and in turn also noticed 25M in the background at the start as well as the various dinosaur bones to show the switch from the cliffs to the factory, these backgrounds are magnificent.
Lovely! And yes, good observation about the transition there, with the silhouettes of the dinosaur bones showing this factory is indeed built on the outskirts of the prehistoric cliffs.

DKCR has such a strong sense of place. Again with the bones: seeing the trilobite fossils embedded in the Cliffs inspires this sense of, "Wow, this mountain range was once at the bottom of the ocean." I mean, I know it's a cartoon universe, but it's fleshed out so well, and without any need for exposition.

Yep, along with Crocomire's skull :)
Ah, that's right! Oh man, so good!

DKCR has such a strong sense of place. Again with the bones: seeing the trilobite fossils embedded in the Cliffs inspires this sense of, "Wow, this mountain range was once at the bottom of the ocean." I mean, I know it's a cartoon universe, but it's fleshed out so well, and without any need for exposition.

Agree. :) I love the beginning of the first forest level, where you start in a cave akin to the previous theme, before climbing out into the forest, making it a gradual transition between the themes. So awesome.

Also, I can't play right now. :( My GF who had never gamed before 3DS took it. After already completing Mario Land and Fire Emblem she's now fully into this. I'm surprised she can actually handle the difficulty (although on new mode, but still). :)

ChaosXVI

Where did you hear Retro has a B-team? This port was handled by the people at Monster Games. :)

But I totally agree: A re-imagining of DKC2 would be EXCELLENT.

It's a pretty persistent rumor that Retro has ballooned in size perhaps to the point that there may be a 2nd small dev team that could perhaps be handling 3DS games or serve a support role for other teams.

Neiteio

It's a pretty persistent rumor that Retro has ballooned in size perhaps to the point that there may be a 2nd small dev team that could perhaps be handling 3DS games or serve a support role for other teams.
Ah, OK. :) I'd be happy with a DKCR2 made by either a Retro B-team or Monster Games.

Looks wonderful on the XL, but I'm noticing some crosstalk (IIRC the right term?) issues with the 3D turned on. Dunno if it's the game or my glasses being crooked, though.

Only seems to happen on certain stages, though.

Neiteio

Looks wonderful on the XL, but I'm noticing some crosstalk (IIRC the right term?) issues with the 3D turned on. Dunno if it's the game or my glasses being crooked, though.

Only seems to happen on certain stages, though.
Yeah, that's "ghosting." Some people see it more than others. I don't see it unless I look for it, and even then I only see it on the darkest stages (I.E. the K-stages). Where I really see it is in some of the unlockable dioramas, which are against pitch-black backdrops. No big deal, though.

sajj316

Any of you guys/gals switch from XL to OG 3DS because it looks better? I just feel that DKCR looks better on the original ..

That mountain is K. Rool and no one can convince me otherwise.

#hewillfuckingreturn
He will fucking return in around 2 weeks as part of Smash Bros at the very least, I have to believe.

I'm not familiar with this. Is this the mountain in question?

*image*

It does sort of look like it has K. Rool's eyes. :O
That's the one, clifftop Climb is a pretty sweet stage, reminscient of the vertical focused mineshaft stages of DKC2 in how it plays out, except you know with everything crumbling beneath your feet.

Smaller Retro Team with Monster could make for one hell of a tag team, the credits did mention that a bunch of Retro's staff helped out as advisors for Monster in this ports creation.

Tuck

Game comes tomorrow - very excited. Only played up to world 2 on the Wii version.

He will fucking return in around 2 weeks as part of Smash Bros at the very least, I have to believe.
Did Retro ever say why they didn't want to use the Kremlings for this game?

I seriously love this game. Mirror mode was a surprise, but getting the KONG letters in mirror mode counts toward collecting as well? DAMN. I'm just going around getting all the puzzle pieces in a world and then mirroring the whole thing.

I would be totally fine with either Monster or Retro making DKCR2 on 3DS. (honestly it would seem weird for it not to be on it after this released.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is my new favorite platformer, dethroning DKC2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think the Kremlins are done, sadly. I said it way back when, but pirate themed Kremlins was the direction I wanted the series enemy vision and themes to go in. Oh well. I get the feeling with Retro's take they wanted to try something new and not rely too heavily on the past, beyond the basic concept of jungles.

Anyway, glad to see more people indoctrinated into mastery of DKCR. I love it for the same reasons I love Galaxy 2, particularly how basically every level introduces some new concept, or remixes an existing concept, in order to keep each level fresh and interesting. It's an extremely forward thinking and inventive platformer, in terms of level design and pacing. Always a reason to play "just one more", because you really don't know what's coming up.

I might be grabbing the 3DS version tomorrow.

Game comes tomorrow - very excited. Only played up to world 2 on the Wii version.

Did Retro ever say why they didn't want to use the Kremlings for this game?

Nothing particular but DKCR generally deemphasizes enemies in general so maybe they didn't feel kremlings were too important to the overall experience. Or or it could be a clash between design and functionality. If you replace the common shuffling tikis with Kritters for instances, the bipedal and mean-looking Kritters would look pretty awkward shuffling slowly back and forth endlessly.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I think I'm going to be buying this game. I skipped out on the Wii version so this is the perfect opportunity to check the game out. I need something to play on my 3DS. I don't think I've purchased a game for it ever since Kid Icarus came out. Kind of excited!

Tuck

I think the Kremlins are done, sadly. I said it way back when, but pirate themed Kremlins was the direction I wanted the series enemy vision and themes to go in.

Maybe. Nintendo has shown willingness to use the Kremlins - there have been DK games that used them (On the DS - King of Swing). So its not like Nintendo has something against them. It just comes down to the developers. The tikis aren't bad though - I wouldn't mind a DKCR trilogy with them as the villains. or those evil kongs from Jungle Beat. Maybe keeping the enemies varied rather than relying on one villain like the Mario series does is a good idea.

Neiteio

I'm trying to remember K. Rool's last console appearance. Anyone remember what this model was from? I believe it was one of the Mario baseball titles. Imagine K. Rool wearing this, stepping out of Tiki Tong and revealing he's the true puppet master behind the Tiki Tak Tribe!

king_k_rool_model_by_ratchetmario-d654pxm.png

Also, holy shit, check out this leaked screenshot from Diddy Kong Racing 2:

R56QXUu.png

:p

I think the Kremlins are done, sadly. I said it way back when, but pirate themed Kremlins was the direction I wanted the series enemy vision and themes to go in. Oh well. I get the feeling with Retro's take they wanted to try something new and not rely too heavily on the past, beyond the basic concept of jungles.

Sort of how I view the lack of Kremlings and the approach of DKCR itself, Returns uses the original DKC trilogy as a basic base to build a new experience off of, it carries over various elements that helped define the original DKC trilogy with a new twist to make Returns its own game as opposed to being too shackled to the original (See Sonic 4 for when this goes horribly wrong on both accounts funnily enough, stages and enemies shackled to the past, new physics that miss the entire point).
Even the stage settings that exist in both DKC and DKCR like the Forest, Factory and Ruins have noticeably different vibes and appearances to their respective counterparts.
And it's not just Kremlings that got dropped, no Gnawty Beavers, Neckys or Zingers either, replaced by fly fascinated frogs, colourful yet miserable looking birds, bats and more, while it may be called Donkey Kong Country Returns it is in fact pretty new when it comes down to it. The main things it took on board from the original trilogy seemed to be the longer stages that play to a central gimmick most of the time, hidden collectables and a few more minor parts of the DKC playstyle like barrel lobbing, Minecarts, Rambi and roll jumps.
Outside of that they made a new style of DKC game right down to the enemies as well and fortunately it went down a treat for me, that said i'd love for the series to have the Kremlings again at some point, revamped for this new DKC style.

5-K mirror mode first try, yay!

Noticed one level earlier that collecting KONG in mirror mode gives a blue star for that level instead of a red one. Just cosmetic or does it count for percent? Don't remember this in the Wii version.

Darkgran

I can't believe I am going to say this...

This is the best 2D side scrolling platform game I have every played. Yep.

Seriously this game is amazing in every way. I literally had to make my self stop playing today.

Top Bottom