• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Neiteio

I can't believe I am going to say this...

This is the best 2D side scrolling platform game I have every played. Yep.

Seriously this game is amazing in every way. I literally had to make my self stop playing today.
I know, I'm trying to get some work done but my 3DS is sitting next to my desk, beckoning to me... :-\

zychi

Banned
So who here went digital for this game? I cant decide if i should buy it at retail on thr 30th or buy it digital.

Neiteio

So who here went digital for this game? I cant decide if i should buy it at retail on thr 30th or buy it digital.
I went digital. It's a massive download (see first post), but it's so worth it to have it always in the system. :)

The Xtortionist said:
Stages mirrored on the screen (so you're moving from right to left), one heart, no Diddy, no items.
friday-damn-funny-gif.gif

Most stages aren't too bad in mirror mode outside of world 8. 4-K and 4-B are probably the toughest of them all and I got those out of the way after losing about 100 lives. It's tough as hell for sure but it's definitely doable.

Neiteio

Most stages aren't too bad in mirror mode outside of world 8. 4-K and 4-B are probably the toughest of them all and I got those out of the way after losing about 100 lives. It's tough as hell for sure but it's definitely doable.
RE: 4-B on Mirror Mode, I suspect the tricky bit is dodging the pickaxes thrown by the moles as you approach the train, eh? It seems like they always hit me with at least one axe, so attempting to get past that with one heart, no hover, and going right to left would be tricky.

RE: 4-B on Mirror Mode, I suspect the tricky bit is dodging the pickaxes thrown by the moles as you approach the train, eh? It seems like they always hit me with at least one axe, so attempting to get past that with one heart, no hover, and going right to left would be tricky.

I discovered a necessary trick for that boss.
Wait until the track slopes downward. Roll jump off the edge when the mole train starts its descent but before your cart starts its own descent. You'll be able to make it, even without Diddy.

You only have to dodge probably less than 10 pickaxes total with this trick.

And can you believe there's not one Youtube video of that boss on mirror mode? Yes, it sucks.

Neiteio

I discovered a necessary trick for that boss.
Wait until the track slopes downward. Roll jump off the edge when the mole train starts its descent but before your cart starts its own descent. You'll be able to make it, even without Diddy.

You only have to dodge probably less than 10 pickaxes total with this trick.

And can you believe there's not one Youtube video of that boss on mirror mode? Yes, it sucks.
While Mirror Mode sounds terrifying (seriously, one heart and no hover?!), it is nice to know that if/when I exhaust the main content (as in, know it well enough to play blindfolded, lol), I'll have a "second quest" that mixes things up, ready to go!

Linius

I went digital. It's a massive download (see first post), but it's so worth it to have it always in the system. :)

I see a lot of people say this when it comes to digital buying of games. Not to go too much off topic, but I suppose everyone caries their 3DS around in a case. And every case can at least cary a few extra games and it's not like we'll ever be so long away from home that we need more than like three or four games with us :p

As long as they still sell retail I'll always go for that. Though I must say that I'll get tempted more if they sell digital games cheaper than retail, which in my area at least is not the case.

While Mirror Mode sounds terrifying (seriously, one heart and no hover?!), it is nice to know that if/when I exhaust the main content (as in, know it well enough to play blindfolded, lol), I'll have a "second quest" that mixes things up, ready to go!

It's one of the best content-extenders (for lack of a better term) I've seen in a game. Has any other platformer included a mirror mode? It was a genius decision since it's normally only found in racing games and, together with the difficulty increase, really makes the stages feel all new. Counts for percent too, so you can go for a 200% file. Definitely give it a try, it's really hard but not impossible by any means. 4-B was the only stage holding me back from 200% on the Wii version (final mole randomness + didn't figure out that trick) and I already have it out of the way on 3DS.

...and hitting checkpoints in mirror mode is like, the best feeling in the world :3

Neiteio

I see a lot of people say this when it comes to digital buying of games. Not to go too much off topic, but I suppose everyone caries their 3DS around in a case. And every case can at least cary a few extra games and it's not like we'll ever be so long away from home that we need more than like three or four games with us :p

As long as they still sell retail I'll always go for that. Though I must say that I'll get tempted more if they sell digital games cheaper than retail, which in my area at least is not the case.
I don't like swapping out the cards, though. I've nearly dropped them between car seats before. And the cases just wind up gathering dust. For me, having them all on my system is a lot nicer. And I'm using a 32GB SD card, so even with all of the games I've downloaded, I still have a ton of room left over. :)

Neiteio

It's one of the best content-extenders (for lack of a better term) I've seen in a game. Has any other platformer included a mirror mode? It was a genius decision since it's normally only found in racing games and, together with the difficulty increase, really makes the stages feel all new. Counts for percent too, so you can go for a 200% file. Definitely give it a try, it's really hard but not impossible by any means. 4-B was the only stage holding me back from 200% on the Wii version (final mole randomness + didn't figure out that trick) and I already have it out of the way on 3DS.

...and hitting checkpoints in mirror mode is like, the best feeling in the world :3
That's awesome that Mirror Mode completion is reflected in a 200% file. And yeah, come to think of it, I don't recall any other platformers incorporating a Mirror Mode, and yet it seems like such a logical way to mix things up.

I'm visiting NYC for the first time in June. Of course, I'd be crazy not to visit the Nintendo World store. I'm thinking of getting this then, and saving the room on my SD card for Animal Crossing (I suspect both games bought digitally would eat up a sizeable chunk of space).

Does anyone here see any reason not to get DKCR? I don't own a Wii, so I never played that version.

I've been living in Asia for over 6 years now, but I own a North American 3DS XL unit. The region lock on the 3DS pretty much leaves digital as my only option for buying games (if I want a game on release day and want to avoid import/shipping costs). After having bought up so many full retail and smaller releases via the eShop, I can honestly say it's the way to go for a portable gaming console. I do own a few physical copies that I got second-hand, but not having to swap out cartridges while I'm out and about is really, really convenient.

KeRaSh

Got this game on release and I'm not regretting it. Currently smashing my way through world 3.
It reminds me a little bit of Rayman Origins to be honest, which is a very, very good thing in my books.

Linius

I don't like swapping out the cards, though. I've nearly dropped them between car seats before. And the cases just wind up gathering dust. For me, having them all on my system is a lot nicer. And I'm using a 32GB SD card, so even with all of the games I've downloaded, I still have a ton of room left over. :)

I've been living in Asia for over 6 years now, but I own a North American 3DS XL unit. The region lock on the 3DS pretty much leaves digital as my only option for buying games (if I want a game on release day and want to avoid import/shipping costs). After having bought up so many full retail and smaller releases via the eShop, I can honestly say it's the way to go for a portable gaming console. I do own a few physical copies that I got second-hand, but not having to swap out cartridges while I'm out and about is really, really convenient.

I guess it's just me being nostalgic about it, not wanting to miss out on that feel of going to the store and buying a game :p

Gotta got myself a bigger memory unit as well for my soon to come free 3DS game from Nintendo. Then I'll soon enough find out how easy it is not to have cartridges all the time.

And I really suck at time trials in this game, I tryed the first level like ten times and only got 1:16 (silver) so far :p

GRW810

I thought this was going to be a quick cash in port but people seem to really be embracing it. I won't be getting it (at least, any time soon) because I still play my Wii version plenty to this day.

What is the general consensus on the audience for this edition, on GAF at least? People who never played it on Wii and now want to check it out, or people who loved it so much on Wii that they're buying it again?

Because it sold so well on Wii that I can't even imagine having not played it by now. One of my favourite games ever. I've never been so frustrated yet entertained by a game. Desperately hoping for a sequel.

Gambit

I thought this was going to be a quick cash in port but people seem to really be embracing it. I won't be getting it (at least, any time soon) because I still play my Wii version plenty to this day.

What is the general consensus on the audience for this edition, on GAF at least? People who never played it on Wii and now want to check it out, or people who loved it so much on Wii that they're buying it again?

Because it sold so well on Wii that I can't even imagine having not played it by now. One of my favourite games ever. I've never been so frustrated yet entertained by a game. Desperately hoping for a sequel.

Not sure there is a consensus. Some have played it before, some are new to the game. Personally, I think it is one of the best 2D Jump-N-Run ever and I loved it so much that a 3DS port was worth it for the new levels, the portability and as an excuse to play it all again.

The more I play this, the angrier I get. This game does so many things right, and has charm in every single facet of it. Why can't the recent 2D Mario games be this good? Sure, 3D Land is great, but NSMB games just don't live up to this....at least not the most recent. They aren't bad games by any means, DKCR is just a league above.

Something is deeply wrong about that, it shouldn't be. Nintendo is capable of doing much better. First party Mario games should give me the same amount of ear to ear grinning DKCR has done for the last 10 or so hours.

Ah well...back to being terrible at time attacks.

Played it on Wii and it became my favorite 2D platformer.

3DS version: 10/10 would 200%.

Business

Got this one in the weekend and oh boy what a game I missed on Wii.

I must be getting rusty because I'm finding this game both very difficult and very harsh, but at the same time the concepts are fantastic, the mechanics are fresh and ever evolving, and in the end it's extremely rewarding. Lovely old school feeling.

I wake up in the morning and I feel like picking the 3DS and play through a stage, and that's not something that has been happening a lot to me since I was a teenager.

goomba

Banned
Liked the original tho found it difficult so makes sense the 3ds port has been casualised.

Wii u sequel please !

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A DKCR2 somehow managing that art style at 60fps 1080p with DKCR's trademark awesome level design would be out of this world amazing.

daakusedo

With leaving the game in the middle of shiny gold medals run, I remembered donkey kong snappier, but I'm also rusty, seeing how I handled the first level.
I understand though why I quit quickly on rayman daily challenges, even with that, donkey kong responds better than that lightweight armless dude, crazy.

How bad does 30fps hurt this game?

It's one of my favourite platformers and I'd hate to see it compromised.

Edit: Ordered through Flubit for £23.34. Not bad.

SuperSah

Banned
Good lordy that concept art is amazing. I want the Lighthouse one as a print for my wall o_o

I agree. It looks gorgeous. Imagine that on your wall!

I really CANNOT put this game down! It's insane how good it is! I'm on World 3 ans thoroughly enjoying it. It's a masterpiece.

daakusedo

The colors being less rich and animations being "shortened" make it less lively, obviously, but it's as fast. I'm comparing right now. Shaking is still pretty instinctive too, I'm not even thinking how could I have played intensively this game like that, with now experiencing it on 3ds, I'm still more accustomed to use it than R button.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How bad does 30fps hurt this game?

It's one of my favourite platformers and I'd hate to see it compromised.

Edit: Ordered through Flubit for £23.34. Not bad.
Still quite playable and cool to have on a portable but the lower framerate definitely hurts. You'll notice it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Have this on Wii and never got that far into it. I think I'm more likely to play through the game having it in portable form, and am considering grabbing it today.

I watched a side by side comparison and couldn't believe that it matches the Wii version polygon for polygon. Only the textures and frame rate appear weaker. I'm impressed!

Is the 3D effect good?

daakusedo

It's better now without having a button to run, I'll play with the circle pad config, before quitting as I was at 1-4 and it was mentionned to be good for 3d, I did it, they were right!

Neiteio

Have this on Wii and never got that far into it. I think I'm more likely to play through the game having it in portable form, and am considering grabbing it today.

I watched a side by side comparison and couldn't believe that it matches the Wii version polygon for polygon. Only the textures and frame rate appear weaker. I'm impressed!

Is the 3D effect good?
The 3D effect is AMAZING. Perhaps the best on the system. I can't help but feel like Nintendo had a 3DS port in mind all along.

Skilletor

The controls suffer the most, I think. I played a bit of this on Wii and that is far more responsive than this version.

Don't care, since I wouldn't play it on Wii, but it's definitely noticeable. I've noticed frame dips as well, especially with 3D turned on.

Nemesis_

The 3D effect is AMAZING. Perhaps the best on the system. I can't help but feel like Nintendo had a 3DS port in mind all along.

Only halfway through the first world but I hate the ghosting in Cranky's hut.

Agree with you otherwise!

THIS GAME IS SO GOOD AND I EVEN PLAYED IT ON THE WII AND I STILL FIND IT GREAT

Neiteio

The controls suffer the most, I think. I played a bit of this on Wii and that is far more responsive than this version.

Don't care, since I wouldn't play it on Wii, but it's definitely noticeable. I've noticed frame dips as well, especially with 3D turned on.
Funny, I'm having the exact opposite experience. No frame dips, and I'm playing at max 3D. Also, I find the controls far more precise and reliable with buttons instead of waggle.

Top Bottom