• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

MarkusRJR

Have this on Wii and never got that far into it. I think I'm more likely to play through the game having it in portable form, and am considering grabbing it today.

I watched a side by side comparison and couldn't believe that it matches the Wii version polygon for polygon. Only the textures and frame rate appear weaker. I'm impressed!

Is the 3D effect good?
Well the game definitely has fewer polygons (noticeable in the zoomed in scenes), worse textures, and runs at half the frame rate. It's still really impressive for a 3DS port though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
How bad does 30fps hurt this game?

The 30fps bothers me about as much as it did in NGS+. Which is, not at all.

The more I play this, the angrier I get. This game does so many things right, and has charm in every single facet of it. Why can't the recent 2D Mario games be this good? Sure, 3D Land is great, but NSMB games just don't live up to this....at least not the most recent. They aren't bad games by any means, DKCR is just a league above.

I feel the same way. I got NSMB2 for my birthday and was bored in about an hour. What's funny is that all these games save the original NSMB came out after DKCR. I would love to see a Mario game with the dynamic levels and imagination of this title.

Skilletor

Funny, I'm having the exact opposite experience. No frame dips, and I'm playing at max 3D. Also, I find the controls far more precise and reliable with buttons instead of waggle.

Maybe you're just not sensitive to framedrops?

You also love the 3D effect in pretty much every game from the posts I've read; I can take it or leave it (usually leave it). :)

60fps is more responsive than 30fps. That's just fact.

I mean, the game is amazing. I'm glad to be playing it this way, but if I get interested in doing trial runs, I'll probably grab the game and play through Dolphin for maximum pleasure.

Definitely a must for any platformer fan, for sure.

Im waiting for my copy to arrive from NewEgg. Is it amazing? I played it on Wii so I hope this can be just as good especially with the new levels.

Vancha

I bought the game on the Wii when it came out, but I couldn't resist not having a portable version, so here we go :p. Game play's very good to me, but they should have added more extra levels, or atleast more spectacular ones.

Made a first impression video of it where I share the things you need to know if oyu buy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r82wqNnkOMI

Neiteio

Maybe you're just not sensitive to framedrops?

You also love the 3D effect in pretty much every game from the posts I've read; I can take it or leave it (usually leave it). :)

I mean, the game is amazing. I'm glad to be playing it this way, but if I get interested in doing trial runs, I'll probably grab the game and play through Dolphin for maximum pleasure.

I'm primarily a high-end PC gamer. I can see the difference between 30 and 60 fps. But the 30 here is solid and the controls super-precise. I think the Circle Pad might be partly to thank for increased control over minute adjustments.

Neiteio

The 30fps bothers me about as much as it did in NGS+. Which is, not at all.

I feel the same way. I got NSMB2 for my birthday and was bored in about an hour. What's funny is that all these games save the original NSMB came out after DKCR. I would love to see a Mario game with the dynamic levels and imagination of this title.
Didn't NSMB Wii come out in 2009? I remember getting it with Uncharted 2. DKCR came out in 2010. So half of the NSMB titles came out before DKCR, and half of them after.

branny

All the praise over the past couple of days is making me really angry at the UPS guy for taking his sweet time right now. :(

It sucks that there's no definitive version. I'm still fuming at MH3U's underwhelming Wii U port.

eternalb

I'm primarily a high-end PC gamer. I can see the difference between 30 and 60 fps. But the 30 here is solid and the controls super-precise. I think the Circle Pad might be partly to thank for increased control over minute adjustments.

There have been videos posted that show the framerate drops. Maybe you're just so immersed in the 3D, you're not noticing it =P The mine cart levels are especially noticable

Joqu

I saw a commercial for this today, totally forgot that this was out already. Really can't afford it right now tho. :/

Murrah

Banned
Yeah, my copy just got here and I ran through the first world real fast. Sorta disappointed. Definitely doesn't feel as responsive as the Wii version, which I guess is because of the framerate? I dunno, I don't really have any other explanation as to why it would be, but it was super noticeable in the mine cart level

Whatever, I'll still have fun playing through it again, but I think I'll end up liking the Wii version more

Man...those cart levels.

LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

eggwolio

It only took like 700 lives, including one Game Over screen, but I finally beat 1-K. Holy crap. Feels goooood.

I wish that at some point in Tidal Terror, Funky appeared riding one of the waves. Just for funsies.

Has anyone else had trouble turning the 3D off completely? On the map screens, it looks fine with the slider all the way down, but in the levels, I occasionally see crosstalk or fall out of the sweet spot and can't focus even though the slider is all the way down.

Tuck

Game came today. Enjoying it sooo much more than the Wii version (Playing on original difficulty - its the same game, but I prefer sidescrollers on handhelds). Using the analog stick control method cause the d-pad seemed like it might be uncomfortable. Works ok so far but maybe when the game gets harder I will need to switch. Made it up to world 2, but I need to spend time finding all the secrets of world 1.

The frame rate was bothering me at first (Game didn't feel as... smooth as it should be) but I've adjusted to it. The 3D is amazing. I stopped playing the Wii version one or two levels into world 2 so I'm almost caught up, and then everything else is new. Exciting. This game makes me wish for other Wii games that i never played to come to the 3DS (Rabbids Go Home, Kirby Epic Yarn, Punch Out!! the standouts)

Velcro Fly

Game also came for me. Probably going to play it this evening since I'm doing other stuff today. Maybe I'll enjoy this so much that I'll finally stop being a wimp and play Rayman Origins. I played the 3DS demo and I was so bad at it that I decided not to get it at all. Would probably get it on the Vita anyway.

I haven't progressed much...up to world 2.

I've been spending most of my time competing with my friend in some time attack. We're going back and forth on 1-1..and at the moment, I have him beat with 53.84.

1-K is beautiful. Just the kind of challenge I love.

GG-Duo

Since I'm pretty much a casual gamer these days, I'm only up to 1-6... but I've been really enjoying it so far, after a bumpy start. I'm playing in Original mode.

I found the first two stages to be a bit boring/frustrating, especially since I was trying to 100% it on my first try, I found myself to move along slowly and didn't enjoy the level design. I found DK's roll to pause at a weird place (causing me to get hit), and the climbing mechanic a little bit annoying.

However, as soon as I just played it without trying to collect everything, I found myself digging it a lot more. I'm probably getting the hang of its physics as well. I was blown away by the Sunset stage. It's beautiful, with really fun background-interaction moments, and its rolling hills has let me practice DK's roll attack a bit more. I also loved the creativity in the first barrel stage. Knocking over pillars and avoiding falling rocks is really fun.

It's interesting to see Retro's design choices. I had initially doubted the removal of the partner system, but find myself liking this a lot more — there's just less hassle, and less "character optimizing" (ie. oh I need to be Diddy for this section). The DK Barrels act like a reward and less like half of the game. I'm sure it allowed Retro to design their levels more consistently as well.

eggwolio

WOW!! You're in for a world of hurt for the later k levels. The k levels are a nice treat for collecting all the 'KONG' letters; I feel like these levels truley show what a platforming game is.

I was exaggerating, but not by much. I'm terrible at most games. I love them, but am awful. It definitely took hundreds of lives. 2-K seems less tough, but still is going to be a challenge.

Tadale

Picked this up over the weekend even though I finished it on Wii. It's still really an excellent platformer – I'd be interested in some other developer trying to make a 3DS sequel.

Raptomex

How bad does 30fps hurt this game?

It's one of my favourite platformers and I'd hate to see it compromised.

Edit: Ordered through Flubit for £23.34. Not bad.
It's noticable but it doesn't really hurt the game. At least not from what I've played so far.

Glix

The 30 is very solid. The game is not framey at all.

That being said of course if you have played the 60fps rev you will notice the difference between the two.

OTHER STUFF:

When I am doing time trials should I be rolling into jump, or just rolling? The roll seems to get real slow at the end...

the buttons make things way more comfortable.

Buttons make this a different game. I hated the possibility of rolling to my doom by accident when such thing would never happen in any earlier button based DK game.

branny

My copy finally came, yay!

What's so underwhelming about it?
Well, I honestly was expecting 50fps-60fps for the console port, not frame rate averages even lower than what the 3DS version puts out. There's also weird judder when you pan the camera around, especially when going up/down, that I find somewhat disorienting. On top of everything else, it seems like there's 10~20ms or so of input lag with the controls (which is mainly apparent in menus and makes clearing farm/item box stuff out feel a bit laggy).

I was excited for the off-TV patch, but that ended up being worthless to me because of how lazy Capcom is. I prefer using ZL/ZR for items and running instead of L/R due to how my hands grip the GamePad. However, adjusting ZL/ZR to mirror L/R (since that's bizarrely the only option available) also completely removes any way for me to use the target cam at all during off-TV mode. :(

It's not a bad port by any means (plus it has real online), but, yeah, I'm kind of disappointed with it. Game's still great no matter which platform you play it on, though, lol.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Got mine! Wow this doesn't even come with a foldout set of game instructions! Instead of coming with that or a normal instruction manual this game came with a "Viewing the Electronic Manual" manual. Wat. And a Club Nintendo insert. And an eshop promo insert. Stay classy Nintendoc -.-

1st world impressions!

lol at derpy looking animals in the intro. After starring in several rhythm based DK's granted immunity from musical hypnosis! The going into the background of the level stuff is alil hard ta see. Liking the wall/ceiling climbing! Seems like they want ya to interact with the ton of random objects in levels instead of booking it through 'em. The end of 1-5 surprised & killed me cause I didn't realize those stone monuments in the background were baddies x.x Can you fall out of barrels if in them to long? Mine cart close up = bad news for me! That first boss was super unintuitive an I hope others aren't like it. At first I was thinking you had to hit it on the bump on its back which goes in an out then after many deaths I figured out you gotta hit near its butt from behind -_-;; Oh and it takes 9 hits?! Excessive...

Last of all... this game needs an update NOWS. If I wanna use the dpad (and who wouldn't) rolling is assigned to the shoulder buttons!? WHYYYYYY.

Glix

Got mine! Wow this doesn't even come with a foldout set of game instructions! Instead of coming with that or a normal instruction manual this game came with a "Viewing the Electronic Manual" manual. Wat. And a Club Nintendo insert. And an eshop promo insert. Stay classy Nintendoc -.-

1st world impressions!

lol at derpy looking animals in the intro. After starring in several rhythm based DK's granted immunity from musical hypnosis! The going into the background of the level stuff is alil hard ta see. Liking the wall/ceiling climbing! Seems like they want ya to interact with the ton of random objects in levels instead of booking it through 'em. The end of 1-5 surprised & killed me cause I didn't realize those stone monuments in the background were baddies x.x Can you fall out of barrels if in them to long? Mine cart close up = bad news for me! That first boss was super unintuitive an I hope others aren't like it. At first I was thinking you had to hit it on the bump on its back which goes in an out then after many deaths I figured out you gotta hit near its butt from behind -_-;; Oh and it takes 9 hits?! Excessive...

Last of all... this game needs an update NOWS. If I wanna use the dpad (and who wouldn't) rolling is assigned to the shoulder buttons!? WHYYYYYY.

If this is the new standard but all 1st party games are $35 I'd be fine with it.

I'm just happy that portable games still come out @ retail...

(I like rolling on the shoulder. Its done like that because you need RUN on the buttons. When you are using Analog there is no RUN so you can put the roll on the face. I think they only want two face buttons having functions)

Yeah, this game isn't going to go too well for me. I have been playing too many easy platformers. Rayman Origins is a lot more forgiving. Died 3-4 times in 1-1 (trying to get the O). Could only find 8 of the puzzle pieces.

:D

Funny, I'm having the exact opposite experience. No frame dips, and I'm playing at max 3D. Also, I find the controls far more precise and reliable with buttons instead of waggle.

I always wonder if my game/and or console is defective when people say things like this. The frame rate drops are pretty clear to me, but I've always been nitpicky of these things.

Brand new 3DS Pikachu XL(a gift) with retail DK, btw.

cjkeats

Just picked it up, didn't even realize it came out till I was downloading some demos from the eShop the other day, and saw the big "available now!" Excited to start.

branny

Okay, quick first impressions...

DKCR translated rather nicely to the 3DS, but the screen does get kind of blurry when you're moving. Maybe a higher frame would've helped? I don't think it's some LCD response time issue because I don't recall this kind of thing noticeably impacting other games on the platform. Regardless, it's not really that big a deal. I'll get used to it.

The port looks incredibly faithful to the Wii version. Visuals are super dense, and the animation is excellent. Game's flat-out gorgeous. 2D mode is pointless with no discernible boost to frame rate, so I'm going to stick with 3D on, like usual. Best of luck to those with an OG 3DS because the background traversal part in the first level gave me Code of Princess "I can't see shit" flashbacks. Though I'm playing on an XL, stuff was a smidge too zoomed out for my tastes. Then again, it very well could just be that I need to get reacclimated to the game or something...

Anyway, it doesn't seem like any audio fidelity has been sacrificed (yes!). I'm definitely going to make sure I play with a nice set of IEMs for all that beefy low end.

And I much, much prefer the controls in this version to the Wii incarnation. It's night and day. Maneuvering around is actually fun now, imagine that! The d-pad control scheme is fine; I have no issues playing with shoulder button rolling as someone who regularly pops in MMZ Collection. Still, full control customization would've been nice for those who wanted it.

Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is over since I've only played a few levels of the Wii version. DKC2 is probably my favorite pure platformer ever, so I'm pretty anxious to finally find out how DKCR compares.

Neo Child

Banned
Yeah, this game isn't going to go too well for me. I have been playing too many easy platformers. Rayman Origins is a lot more forgiving. Died 3-4 times in 1-1 (trying to get the O). Could only find 8 of the puzzle pieces.

:D

you probably know this already, but after dk has rolled off a platform you can jump mid-air.

so roll off, jump back on platform.

Murrah

Banned
Just played through Bombs Away, which was easily my favorite mine cart level in the Wii version and one of my favorites in general. Getting that O piece was way, way harder than it should've been. I probably died eight times on just that, and a few more in a similar precision jumping part later on, and it's something that I didn't remember being a problem in the original. And yeah, I popped the Wii one in afterwards and cleared the level with all Kong pieces on my first try. I dunno if it's the framerate or screen size or both, but as someone who didn't mind the waggle controls this is for sure not the definitive version of this game

Sorta bummed, probably not gonna bother 200%ing the game a second time now

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Whys the game saying I should take a break every few levels an whys there load times >_>?

World 2 brought more neat stuffs like the rocket barrel! That was nuts! And another way for 'em ta toss in cheap one hit kills. Raining cannonballs level sure was tricky except for the part at the end where ya gotta bust boxes to get through. Had ta tank damage an nearly die just to get past it. The tidal level was just plain cool. Next boss was no better then the first! For once I thanked a button prompt telling ya what ta do for coming up after several deaths. Who'da guessed rolling into stacked crabs wouldn't hurt you? Lost bunches of lives!

(I like rolling on the shoulder. Its done like that because you need RUN on the buttons. When you are using Analog there is no RUN so you can put the roll on the face. I think they only want two face buttons having functions)
Ohhh that makes sense I guess but still abit awkward for me. Must be something ya gotta get used to.

CrisKre

Just played through Bombs Away, which was easily my favorite mine cart level in the Wii version and one of my favorites in general. Getting that O piece was way, way harder than it should've been. I probably died eight times on just that, and a few more in a similar precision jumping part later on, and it's something that I didn't remember being a problem in the original. And yeah, I popped the Wii one in afterwards and cleared the level with all Kong pieces on my first try. I dunno if it's the framerate or screen size or both, but as someone who didn't mind the waggle controls this is for sure not the definitive version of this game

Sorta bummed, probably not gonna bother 200%ing the game a second time now

I love this game, but I do think, like in the case you described with the O in Bombs Away, 30 fps hurts the precision a nod. It was a bit hard for me too. I would jump just a few instants too soon due to it.
In most other instances in the game its a non issue, but on that particular level it does make it more challenging due to it being less precise.

I will say though, all things considered this is an AMAZING port and much, MUCH better than any other attempt to bring DKC to portables. It is, indeed, one of the top games on 3ds and i'd thoroughly reccommend it to anyone.

In a fit of Macho Madness I decided I was going to try and grow the hairiest of chests that can only come from besting Jagged Jewels on mirror mode....
What fresh hell have I stepped into?! it's no longer just a fight against the stage itself, it's a fight against your mind, there's another fiendish element at play, one that permeates the deepest recesses of my very being, a psychological terror that comes from seeing instant death everywhere. See it's not just enough that damn near everything you see in the stage will end your run if you even step one toe out of line, it's like an overload on the senses, a spiky sensory overload, platforms that once would not seem so terrifying take on a grotesque new life, I sat on the edge of a platform as spike crushers slammed down mere inches away from DK glaring intently at a bog standard Tiki roaming back and forth on a slowly moving platform surrounded by a tilting spiky ring, not even one of the ones that goes all the way around, just the one that teeters ever so slightly up and down, locked in terror for near a minute waiting for that one safe moment to make the leap.
Over I go but egads! I barely missed the bugger, a split second remains before he edges into me but summoning forth all my reactionary powers I squash the tiki flat, sweet relief washes over me.

And then I jump over to the next platform and get immediately wrecked by one of those buzzsaw like creatures, shit, I can't take this, it's too much for my heart to endure, I didn't even reach the slanting pillar like platforms!

Did have some fun with some of the world 9 stages in mirror mode, that spike wall section of the third stage suddenly becomes that much trickier when faced with all the path obstructing fire tikis.

Velcro Fly

Played the first couple levels and I can tell that I'm going to enjoy the game a lot. I just love the fact that there are the KONG letters in each level as well as puzzle pieces. They add a dynamic to the levels because the puzzle pieces you can get whenever and are similar to star coins in NSMB. KONG letters you have to get all in one shot.

The controls seemed awkward to me at first. The first level I died a couple times because I just rolled right into a pit. On the second level I was holding a button as well as R to hold onto things and that made it weird until I realized that I didn't need to hold anything but R to hold on. I was able to 100% the second level and get everything but one puzzle piece in the first level so far. DK also felt a little floaty to me at first but I got used to it fairly quickly.

I'm playing on New Mode for now just to get used to the game and the controls. Definitely feel like I'm going to make the jump to how it was originally on the Wii soon enough.

Overall after about 30 minutes of play it definitely feels like a really good game. Framerate doesn't bother me at all. Everything looks really good. The 3D is great as well considering how awful it was on NSMB2. This game blows it out of the water for me really. Seeing what a 2D platformer could be and seeing what we got on the 3DS for Mario definitely is disappointing now.

Murrah

Banned
I love this game, but I do think, like in the case you described with the O in Bombs Away, 30 fps hurts the precision a nod. It was a bit hard for me too. I would jump just a few instants too soon due to it.
In most other instances in the game its a non issue, but on that particular level it does make it more challenging due to it being less precise.

I will say though, all things considered this is an AMAZING port and much, MUCH better than any other attempt to bring DKC to portables. It is, indeed, one of the top games on 3ds and i'd thoroughly reccommend it to anyone.

Yeah, despite my whining I agree, it's automatically one of the best games on the system just because it's a pretty good port of an amazing game. Not trying to dissuade anyone from getting it, especially if they haven't played the original, but as a double dip people should be cautious. Well, unless those new levels are something really special

Neiteio

Yeah, despite my whining I agree, it's automatically one of the best games on the system just because it's a pretty good port of an amazing game. Not trying to dissuade anyone from getting it, especially if they haven't played the original, but as a double dip people should be cautious. Well, unless those new levels are something really special
I double-dipped, and I love the portability, the 3D, etc. But one thing puts it heads and shoulders over the original: BUTTONS.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Never played the Wii game, but playing this on 3DS makes me think this game was designed for this platform. It's just excellent in every way.

Just finished the Octopus level in the beach area and I'm loving everything about it. I'm also pleasantly surprised by how challenging it is, even this early! I think I have died 20 times by now, lol.

Velcro Fly

Just beat the world 1 boss.

Do I dare go to 1-K tonight?

21 lives and 91 banana coins.

Here we go!

edit: pretty sure I was right at the end and died. Lost Diddy and then didn't have the oomph to make it to a barrel. Not bad for a first try.

OmegaFax

Beat it in new mode. It took me about ~13 hours according to the 3DS Activity Log. I still have to collect all the in-level items to unlock the Golden Temple and all the 3DS exclusive levels.

Banned
Any one else experiencing blurriest and framerate drop when it's in 2D? Maybe I'm just too used to 3D. I find the game runs smoother and looks better in 3D.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Any one else experiencing blurriest and framerate drop when it's in 2D? Maybe I'm just too used to 3D. I find the game runs smoother and looks better in 3D.

I find this to be the case with a few games. The 3D makes them look considerably better (brighter, more crisp).

Top Bottom