• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Murrah

Banned
I double-dipped, and I love the portability, the 3D, etc. But one thing puts it heads and shoulders over the original: BUTTONS.

Eh, I'm no waggle lobbyist, but I never once died because of waggle problems in the Wii version. And the roll only activating on certain frames feels way more clumsy on a button than it did with waggle, but I can't fault that on the port since that's how the original worked

I do love the portability though, and the 3D is pretty nice

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
World 3 down which'll be all for today. So far I've ended each world with 12 lives left which dun bode well for the future I think! 3-1 had a second layer of background making this game DEEP. The end of 3-2 suuuucked stupid timing puzzle. The Rambi level was all fun an games until ya had ta hurry through crumbling platforms! Rest of the levels was solid and I actually managed to find all the puzzle pieces in a level for the first time! As a bonus the boss spoke for itself and didn't take an abnormal amount of hits. Hurrah!

Velcro Fly

Yeah by far the worst part of 1-K is having to quit and go get Diddy again after every failed attempt. I know I can beat the stage if I concentrate but having to go get Diddy again every single time is so annoying. Just give us a damn Diddy barrel at the start. Ain't nobody going to do that as Donkey Kong alone.

K' Dash

Just beat the world 1 boss.

Do I dare go to 1-K tonight?

21 lives and 91 banana coins.

Here we go!

edit: pretty sure I was right at the end and died. Lost Diddy and then didn't have the oomph to make it to a barrel. Not bad for a first try.

You don't need Diddy in K levels, roll jump or run jump is all you need, if you notice there are no DK barrels in these levels.

Also, don't worry about lives, there are always a spot to farm a 1up baloon and a ton of banana coins.

Yeah by far the worst part of 1-K is having to quit and go get Diddy again after every failed attempt. I know I can beat the stage if I concentrate but having to go get Diddy again every single time is so annoying. Just give us a damn Diddy barrel at the start. Ain't nobody going to do that as Donkey Kong alone.

Believe me, without Diddy is much easier, I'd recommend not getting him for K levels.

I don't think that's necessarily true. It didn't even occur to me to go get Diddy for 1-K and I managed just fine, all puzzle pieces and everything. Just requires practice and persistence!

Then again, I 100%'d the original, so maybe I'm biased?

Banned
Man...those cart levels.

LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
They're the most frustrating but also most fun and rewarding DK levels :)

:(

Velcro Fly

Beat it. Took me maybe 15 tries. My first try was my best until I finished.

I'm not that great at timing my bounces off enemies to get a good jump so having Diddy helps me a ton. And since for the most part I've had both I had very limited practice with just DK alone so I was more comfortable with both.

All in all it was a great stage. My only source of frustration is again not being better with just DK. There was an attempt I had where I lost Diddy near the uphill slope but I panicked and couldn't get momentum with DK and ended up dying not much later. Just found it easier to make jumps without perfect momentum when I had both.

Love the game so far though. I have a couple hundred banana coins already though from replaying that level a few times and replaying others a few times for letters and puzzle pieces.

CrisKre

Never played the Wii game, but playing this on 3DS makes me think this game was designed for this platform. It's just excellent in every way.

Just finished the Octopus level in the beach area and I'm loving everything about it. I'm also pleasantly surprised by how challenging it is, even this early! I think I have died 20 times by now, lol.
I'm secretly jealous of people playing this for the first time. This is one of my top 10 games of all time. Enjoy it man! And just rejoice on the level of detail and amount of fun retro and monster crafted into this.

pwack

I'm playing for the first time and having fun. But this game is causing serious eye strain!! Can't figure out exactly what it is -- frame rates generally don't bother me, and I'm not playing with 3d on. I think it's just how small everything is on screen, combined with me getting old and being tired.

I'm on an XL. How small is DK on the OG 3DS?

Neiteio

Man, the last puzzle piece in Hot Rocket (8-2) is absolutely evil. Having to skim the lava, picking up every banana, as a tidal wave of lava closes in behind you... I got it, but MAN. Awesome level, though!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Got my copy! First world down. Thoughts both good and bad. On the positive end of the spectrum DKCR is still ridiculously well designed. 2D platforming level design perfection. So inventive and beautifully paced. Game scrubs up extremely well on the 3DS too. The asset dense and layered perspective work really, really well in stereo 3D. Yay for button presses too, and the option to use the d-pad if you're down for that.

Gotta say though, the framerate really does take a blow to the experience for me. I very highly value a solid 60fps in a game that emphasises precise, responsive controls, especially a heavy platformer like DKCR, and the 30fps here just doesn't cut it. Definitely feels regressive to me. Framerate drops here and there are very obvious too. It's a very demanding game, visually, so I'm not surprised to see it running at 30fps over 60fps, but I think I would have been happy for the graphics to be dialled back even further for 60fps, at the very least in 2D mode.

Controls too are a bit mixed, but mostly because I don't like the thumb pad and the shoulder buttons on the 3DS suck. It's such a grossly uncomfortable controller. I sadly do not own an XL :(. Roll now on a button is great, but the tactile feel of a proper analogue stick and the Wii Remote/nunchuck buttons is hard to beat.

Looking forward to unlocking the extra chapters!

Yeah, getting that "O" in 4-3 Bombs Away is pretty balls. I just suffered through doing that, and I couldn't believe how much trouble I was having. That's the first time the drop to 30 FPS really stood out to me as a hindrance. I mean, I had noticed it before that, but it didn't really affect my timing or gameplay experience. It sure did there, though. I hope there aren't too many more instances like that.

Just to make sure, I booted up my copy of the Wii version and, sure enough, got that "O" on the first try. Oh well, you can't have it all, I suppose. It's still a great port.

Salsa

I would have been happy for the graphics to be dialled back even further for 60fps, at the very least in 2D mode.

im really disappointed that as is the game can only handle 30fps with drops

it doesnt really look that good IMO, the difference with the Wii version is preeeeetty big

CrisKre

Yeah, getting that "O" in 4-3 Bombs Away is pretty balls. I just suffered through doing that, and I couldn't believe how much trouble I was having. That's the first time the drop to 30 FPS really stood out to me as a hindrance. I mean, I had noticed it before that, but it didn't really affect my timing or gameplay experience. It sure did there, though. I hope there aren't too many more instances like that.

Just to make sure, I booted up my copy of the Wii version and, sure enough, got that "O" on the first try. Oh well, you can't have it all, I suppose. It's still a great port.

I'm happy to say im on world 6 and that was the only instance where it was an issue.

What is the third circular badge on the stage select map for? (1st and 2nd being for KONG letters and puzzle pieces).

I have to say, finding all the puzzle pieces is not very straightforward.

Peru

Wait you guys use the circle pad? I switched to the d-pad immediately, didn't even try out the circle pad set-up.

Murrah

Banned

I'm happy to say im on world 6 and that was the only instance where it was an issue.

I had one more problem with one of the last fast moving barrels in 5-K, but that's been it so far. It's definitely obnoxious but deal withable. Hoping there's no more issues like that since the back half is where the game really shines

Skilletor

Wait you guys use the circle pad? I switched to the d-pad immediately, didn't even try out the circle pad set-up.

I hate the circle pad. I hate using L/R to roll.

The configs in this game are fucking terrible.

:/

I just unlocked 2K. This game hasn't been overly difficult, but wow. This is some challenging stuff. I died like 10 times and still haven't beaten it, lol.

So good!

daakusedo

Yesterday I didn't find dk to respond as well as my memories from dkcr wii.
But this feeling is now gone, as I said, I play better without having a button to run, and I roll everywhere to the tiniest platforms to the long roads. But I wouldn't feel like doing time trial, so I'm glad the exploration part of the game is good. It's so impressive too in 3d with all those layered environments.

im really disappointed that as is the game can only handle 30fps with drops

it doesnt really look that good IMO, the difference with the Wii version is preeeeetty big
It looks nearly identical to the Wii version but with worse lighting and no anti-aliasing. The only big problem is the lower framerate, which some people may be more or less receptive to.

JeTmAn81

My copy of Dragon Kong I ordered from Newegg is finally on the FedEx truck and on its way here. It was actually in town on Saturday but for some reason the status kept reading "not scheduled for delivery". Holding it back because you didn't want to deliver it early? NOT WITH MY DRAGON KONG! Will post thoughts once I finally get it.

Neiteio

It looks nearly identical to the Wii version but with worse lighting and no anti-aliasing. The only big problem is the lower framerate, which some people may be more or less receptive to.
I frankly think the 3DS version looks better. I haven't been bothered by aliasing thanks to the depth of 3D making every element separate and distinct. Also, the Wii version looked blurry since it was an SDTV title on an HDTV. No such issues with the 3DS version. Game looks amazing on the XL. Dense with detail and still perfectly responsive. I feel much more in control now, with the buttons and portability allowing me to contort in various ways around the screen as I cope with my 100th attempt of a K-level, lol.

ChaosXVI

Though I haven't bought the 3DS version, I've decided to replay the Wii version as I haven't since I completed it over 2 years ago. I was beginning to worry that maybe I was buying into some artificial hype over Retro, as there are many detesting the amount of fangasming that occurs here for Retro, me among those who place them upon some golden pedestal.

After playing up through World 7 again, there is no doubt, the hype is not false. This game is so meticulous in its concepts, yet never feeling complicated. Rarely does a death ever feel cheap, it's always my fault if I die. This game completely shits on every 2D Mario, perhaps even 3/World...but that's a tough call.

I would love to see how Retro would approach a 3D platformer...or really anything...so now let's all spend the next 10 pages speculating on Retro's game, which is what every topic involving a game they've created always turns into...

I'm on the second last level of World 6 and it's making me want to rip my hair out. Don't get me wrong, it's purely my lack of amazing reflexes coupled with my lack of sleep for the last couple days, but dammit, I am never coming back to this level or this game once I'm done. It's amazing, it's beautiful, it controls like a dream, but so many levels I just barely get through and I know I'll happily never play some of those levels again.

Draconian

I actually did it with only Donkey Kong. I might've saved myself a lot of time if I went back and got Diddy though.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
my god, Crowded Cavern is killing me. Expecially the giant bat section and his bloody pattern. i was so desperate I had to kamikaze my way towards puzzle piece 3 because thank god the games saves them automatically

jmls1121

Banned
The first level is probably my favorite opening level to any 2D platformer ever, maybe with the exception of SMB3 and the introduction of the tanooki suit.

When you bust out of the hut, and the music starts pumping, and the main theme kicks in right when the crazy banana blimp flies into the background...

It is pretty much the definition of "Nintendo Magic."

Neiteio

I love the aesthetic they chose for the Volcano. Rather than just going the generic "thick lava and black rock" route, they went with viscous lava and basalt formations. Basalt is so beautiful -- check out the Giant's Causeway in northern Ireland:

And viscous lava in Hawaii:

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm megajelly that the 3DS so many games promotion is EU only. I would love to get this, fire emblem, monster hunter, and luigi for the price of 3.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I double-dipped, and I love the portability, the 3D, etc. But one thing puts it heads and shoulders over the original: BUTTONS.

Agreed! I double dipped as well, and buttons are just soooo much nicer than the motion stuff. Really happy having this in portable form!

I'm primarily a high-end PC gamer. I can see the difference between 30 and 60 fps. But the 30 here is solid and the controls super-precise. I think the Circle Pad might be partly to thank for increased control over minute adjustments.

The 30 fps is not solid, very far from it. In some levels it barely stays at 30 fps.

I'm enjoying the game more because of the portability and better input controls but the framerate is really bad for a platformer.

sheaaaa

I own the Wii version but never got around to playing it, and having put some 7 hours into this I'm wondering which version I should have played.

On one hand the motion controls to pound the ground, roll and blow (correct me if im wrong here) sound entirely out of place in a game so enamoured with precision.

But the frame rate and down scaled visuals are getting to me. Levels like the one set in silhouette at sunset, along with how much detail and effort was put into the background visuals, really call for this game to be enjoyed on a bigger screen.

Seems as if neither is really definitive here, sadly. Thoughts?

I love the aesthetic they chose for the Volcano. Rather than just going the generic "thick lava and black rock" route, they went with viscous lava and basalt formations. Basalt is so beautiful -- check out the Giant's Causeway in northern Ireland:

And viscous lava in Hawaii:

I've learnt something new today, didn't even make the connections.

Speaking of how the world themes are handled, what I always dug about the factory here is both the red girder structure being almost like a throwback to the original Donkey Kong and how you don't lose the whole tropical island aspect even when in a man made structure, through the windows and gaps in the broken walls seen in the background of some stages you can see the jungle in the factory surroundings as well as some areas in the stage itself having bits of overgrown flora growing around them, which is a big improvement over the drab, grey and out of place factory theme in the the first DKC.

branny

Really not liking how rolling isn't instantaneous. I thought it was an issue with waggling back when I played the Wii version, but I guess it isn't. If you are in the process of turning your character, you can't roll. Sucks. =\

Beat the final boss, one of my favorite platformers ever. Didn't get any of the new levels, just the Golden Temple. When do I get the new levels?

Also, after having trouble with jumping off of enemies for almost the entire game, I found out near the end you don't even have to time your button press. Just hold A down after jumping and you'll get the boost (you'll have to let the jetpack run out if you have Diddy). Makes it so much easier.

S1kkZ

got the game for free (thanks to the european "all the games" promotion). framerate isnt as bad as i expected but it affects the gameplay (game doesnt play as smooth and is less responsive than the wii version). it drops 2 or 3 times in each level but its never as bad as castlevania (which was almost unplayable to me).

what really bothers me is the heavy ghosting. its really distracting in the bonus levels (bananas) or when the level has a darker color tone. every 3ds game has areas where there is ghosting, but here i notice it 95% of the time :(

damn shame, since the 3d is really good.

OmegaFax

I just beat the game in New Mode ... 17h:14m and totally worth it.

TtYSO3xl.jpg

The 3DS exclusive levels were a bit easier than the normal levels. In fact, the final Golden Temple level felt a bit out of place being moved after all the 3DS exclusive levels in World 9: Cloud being it was the final Retro designed level in the original Wii version. The difficulty spiked considerably. I can't imagine how hard it'd be to play it backwards in Mirror Mode or on the original difficulty.

I think I died more times during the minecart and barrel rocket stages than anything else.

I did get a bit cheap and bought some of the Rare Orbs from Cranky's shop in order to unlock the extra world ... but I regretted doing that and collected all the world's Kong letters before tackling them. Puzzle pieces are an entirely different story.

Game was truly fantastic and one of the best, most challenging titles I've played recently.

The 3DS exclusive levels were a bit easier than the normal levels. In fact, the final Golden Temple level felt a bit out of place being moved after all the 3DS exclusive levels in World 9: Cloud being it was the final Retro designed level in the original Wii version. The difficulty spiked considerably. I can't imagine how hard it'd be to play it backwards in Mirror Mode or on the original difficulty.

Easier than Jagged Jewels, that's for damn sure.

WTF, the carts are one hit kills?

Also, is the only way to get to 1-4 by buying the key in the shop or is there a secret exit from 1-3?

Top Bottom