• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Sagitario

I love the aesthetic they chose for the Volcano. Rather than just going the generic "thick lava and black rock" route, they went with viscous lava and basalt formations. Basalt is so beautiful -- check out the Giant's Causeway in northern Ireland:
basalt-columns-giants-causeway-sunset-county-antrim-northern-ireland.jpg

And viscous lava in Hawaii:
twip_080403_07.jpg

Beautiful pictures.

I had one more problem with one of the last fast moving barrels in 5-K, but that's been it so far. It's definitely obnoxious but deal withable. Hoping there's no more issues like that since the back half is where the game really shines

Awesome, good to know! I don't remember 5-K from playing the Wii version, but I'm sure that being one of the temple levels, it'll be hard. :p I immediately remembered 4-K upon tackling it last night...

daxy

Watched the promo video on the eShop and oh god that soundtrack. Even though I wasn't planning on getting it because the frame rate thing irked me, about 5 minutes later I ordered a copy.

Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

Side note: a new copy of the Wii version is going around for more than the 3DS one here. Dafuq.

flake

This game is so much better off because of full button controls. Rolling and jumping is so much easier.

Loving it so far.

branny

I think I actually like 3-6 (Rambi level) more on the Wii version because constantly pressing the shoulder buttons is kind of annoying, lol.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Goddamn man, the visuals in this game are really fantastic. Just finished the first level of the Ruins area and I love how the old school DK stone statues look in 3D.

Just started playing this myself, I gotta get used to using L and R to roll... and I can't decide if I like the circle pad or the d-pad better as a control method. Oh the humanity!

Draconian

Ruins is my favorite world yet. I have to say though that I am absolutely awful at dodging cannon balls. It's not even like they're overly hard to dodge, I just for some reason have a knack for jumping right into them.

Feather Fiend mirror mode in two tries? I'll take it.

Mirror Mode'd (with GNOK) everything up to world 8 now. Pretty nervous about the volcano stages but the worst is behind me. 6-B took about 30 tries and is probably the second hardest mirror mode level behind 4-K. The 4-B trick I discovered brought it down a spot.

The end is near...not even gonna go for time trials lol.

stolin

I want to use the Dpad, but with analog stick button mapping.

Same here... I was expecting to just be able to have both Circle Pad and Directional Pad active at once and using the face buttons. Sometimes I'd like to switch my thumb between them on the fly depending on the challenge.

I wonder if they would ever patch it.. seems like a simple control option to overlook.

Hale-XF11

Yes!! 1K cleared. I just started playing that level for the heck of it thinking I wouldn't beat it. 5K, here I come...

Synless

How does this game compare graphically to the Wii version besides the 60 to 30 fps drop? I only ask because this game is downright gorgeous on the 3DS and looks amazing in 3D.

How does this game compare graphically to the Wii version besides the 60 to 30 fps drop? I only ask because this game is downright gorgeous on the 3DS and looks amazon in 3D.

No anti-aliasing (hardly noticeable in 3D mode) and lower poly counts on some objects. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in most cases.

daakusedo

I'm accustomed to 3d since years of 3ds play, but at world 6, I'm still more impressed each time I play dkcr. Really, the next step is 3d metroid having the ambition to push 2d metroid mechanics aka shinespark, sequence break level design that other m only began.

pwack

Made it through World 1, finished 2-1, then decided to check out 1-K after hearing everyone talk about it. Took plenty of tries, but just finished a no-hit, DK-only run through. Pretty fun.

I now have 999 coins thanks to all the times attempting the level. Guess I'll stock up on balloons.

heringer

Game is great, but the lower framerate is really noticeable, imo.

Dunno how anyone would prefer the dpad controls. Ugh.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Game is great, but the lower framerate is really noticeable, imo.

Same for me. And similar for the resolution. This is clearly a 60fps Wii game squeezed into a 30fps 3DS game, and the shift is both noticeable and detrimental to the design, in my opinion. Still amazing, but Retro's intention for 60fps had a lot of value.

Letep

I think it's world 2-2? The rocket barrel. Fucking awesome. And hard.

tried out d-pad controls last night, working sweet.

Murrah

Banned
Started the new levels. They're super easy compared to the main game so far, but I'm pretty impressed outside of that. They seem well designed, and the fact that there are actually new objects and set pieces has got me pretty happy since I was worried they were just gonna feel like rom hacked stages. In fact, after my initial complaints the game has got me feeling good, to the point where I'm going to punish myself and actually go for 200% again, despite swearing that I never would after that first time on the Wii version. I just really, really hate myself

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
FUCK THIS GIANT BAT FUCKING BOLLICKSED PLONKER MAN-UN LOVER PIECE OF ROTTEN ARSE

WHAT THE FUCK

QUITTING THE GAME

Neiteio

Same for me. And similar for the resolution. This is clearly a 60fps Wii game squeezed into a 30fps 3DS game, and the shift is both noticeable and detrimental to the design, in my opinion. Still amazing, but Retro's intention for 60fps had a lot of value.
Game looks better in 3D on 3DS than it ever did in 2D on Wii, imo. You barely see any aliasing with 3D at max; really POPS and looks smoother for being in 3D. Also, the resolution holds up better on a 3DS screen than on an HDTV where SDTV games look blurry, even with component cables. Dolphin's another story, of course. As for framerate, YMMV; I'm a PC gamer primarily but I'm not being distracted by any FPS deficiency here. Game runs stable in my experience, with no detectable stutters so far. I'm playing the digital version on an XL but I doubt that'd make a difference. Maybe the strain on the system depends on how one plays?

Diablos54

So I'm playing 2-3 or something, and I see a weird barrel. So I jump in and then... WTF? I'm riding a barrel missile!? This game is awesome...

daripad

After 1-K, I went into 2-K expecting the worst, but it really is a walk in the park compared to 1-K.
2-K was the easiest in the original IMO. The rest of them areso fucking hard without Diddy.
How are the new levels guys? Worth them or should I ignore this game forever?

sajj316

Game looks better in 3D on 3DS than it ever did in 2D on Wii, imo. You barely see any aliasing with 3D at max; really POPS and looks smoother for being in 3D. Also, the resolution holds up better on a 3DS screen than on an HDTV where SDTV games look blurry, even with component cables. Dolphin's another story, of course. As for framerate, YMMV; I'm a PC gamer primarily but I'm not being distracted by any FPS deficiency here. Game runs stable in my experience, with no detectable stutters so far. I'm playing the digital version on an XL but I doubt that'd make a difference. Maybe the strain on the system depends on how one plays?

Lets not get carried away. Whether its 2D or 3D there are jaggies. I would have hoped they added AA since they dropped framerates to. 30. Quick port? A good port, not great.

Murrah

Banned
How are the new levels guys? Worth them or should I ignore this game forever?

Literally just finished world 9. They're fine, and like I said in an earlier post they actually have their own set pieces of gimmicks and what have you, so effort was definitely put into them. But they really weren't challenging at all, and they definitely don't feel like they were developed by the same people

They're a fine addition and a much more worthwhile reward for getting all the orbs than just the one level in the original, but if they were the main reason you were wanting to rebuy they're probably not worth it

Neiteio

Lets not get carried away. Whether its 2D or 3D there are jaggies. I would have hoped they added AA since they dropped framerates to. 30. Quick port? A good port, not great.
I honestly don't notice aliasing issues in 3D. Having the depth in-between each element makes everything seem more "rounded," and smoother, as a result. Jaggies stand out much more in 2D where each element onscreen is layered flatly on top of the other, because the edges are contrasted more sharply.

This is an excellent port. It still seems like a miracle to me they managed to pull it off as well as they did.

branny

The frame rate woes seem to stem from a mixture of both the hardware and 30fps.

I'm pretty sure that the 3DS's screen has issues resolving anything in motion, just like many HDTVs that experience a resolution drop whenever they aren't displaying static images. I think some people have been mistakenly referring to this blur as ghosting which is something else altogether that plagued early handheld console LCDs (and others even use the same word to describe the double image that shows up during high-contrast situations with 3D turned on).

DKCR is really the only 3DS game that this kind of thing is super noticeable. Other platformers like NSMB2 are not only 60fps but also much simpler in terms of visual design. DKCR's levels are packed with so much going on that the combination of that resolution drop mixed with 30fps just hurt a lot more than they should when you have to be particularly aware of obstacles and enemies.

I would've loved if 2D mode let us play in 60fps, but I guess that wasn't feasible.

FUCK THIS GIANT BAT FUCKING BOLLICKSED PLONKER MAN-UN LOVER PIECE OF ROTTEN ARSE

WHAT THE FUCK

QUITTING THE GAME
:lol :lol

WHAT THE FUCK

QUITTING THE GAME

If it helps he fires at set intervals, if you lured him up to the top of the screen and then went down to the bottom you'll notice he stops to fire a shot at certain points when heading back down in line with you, so you can predict his firing pattern.

Or just grab the key and go through the easier Mole Patrol stage.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
World 4 was almost entirely on-rails! Proof that this game was once on that non-game console! 4-1 was nice but 4-2 was great! Loved that switching between hanging rails to riding them. If this was a DS game the level prolly woulda used both screens but sadly those days are behind us ;_; 4-3 was where I finally got game over an had to stock up on lives from Cranky for the first time. Way to much precision needed for a level where ya have no control over your speed and the hitboxes on them spikey crystals felt inconsistant. The second half of the level was far nicer an funner then the first. 4-5 was more rocket barrely goodness. Died a bunch to the giant bat until I learned ta lead its attacks. I jokingly expected the boss to be on rails to... an it really was! Better then the W1/2 bosses but below W3's.

4-3 can go die in a fucking fire. Fuck off you fucking piece of shit. Took 40 lives and I finished it with two lives left. Fuck.

DonMigs85

Honestly the jaggies aren't that bad... It has more to do with the relatively low 240p resolution.
Here's hoping Nintendo goes with at least an 800x480 2D resolution for their next handheld.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
btw Whats the third icon for each level on the map for? First one is for getting all the letters, second is all the puzzle pieces, but third = ? Is it just for doing the time attack or is there some other collectable I'm missing??

Hale-XF11

btw Whats the third icon for each level on the map for? First one is for getting all the letters, second is all the puzzle pieces, but third = ? Is it just for doing the time attack or is there some other collectable I'm missing??

It displays your time attack medal.

Currently on World 3. I can't wait to get to World 4; it was ny favourite world by far in the Wii version. I adore the minecart levels.

Now that people have had time to play this:

I have never played this game, but am very interested in it. I have both a Wii and 3DS.

Which version should I get?

Top Bottom