• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Flarin

4-3 can go die in a fucking fire. Fuck off you fucking piece of shit. Took 40 lives and I finished it with two lives left. Fuck.

I almost broke my 3DS on that one! Holy shit. Yeah, this game is REALLY hard at times. The spikes in difficulty are ridiculous.

Hale-XF11

Now that people have had time to play this:

I have never played this game, but am very interested in it. I have both a Wii and 3DS.

Which version should I get?

If I had to choose one over the other, I would go with the 3DS version for having stereoscopic 3D, portability, buttons instead of waggle and extra levels.

Mr.Fusion

Really love the minecart levels. I actually wouldn't mind seeing an eShop only Donkey Kong Country game that was all minecart levels.

Hale-XF11

It's funny, but 4-3 originally had me tearing my hair out too, but now that I've got all the letters and puzzle pieces, it feels like a cakewalk anytime I go back to it. Same for that big bat level.

Linkhero1

People who heavily disliked waggle control on Wii. How is this version? I stopped in world 6 on the Wii because I couldn't stand the waggle.

Murrah

Banned
Now that people have had time to play this:

I have never played this game, but am very interested in it. I have both a Wii and 3DS.

Which version should I get?

If you're not a waggle hater I'd say Wii version is superior. 3DS one is great but the framerate does hit you in some spots, and the new levels are just a neat bonus and nowhere near must play. But I guess if you wanna play more casually the framerate stuff won't be much of a bother and the portability will help. The fact that this is even a discussion means you probably can't go wrong either way

Either one will do you though, it's the best sidescroller since the 90s

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
If it helps he fires at set intervals, if you lured him up to the top of the screen and then went down to the bottom you'll notice he stops to fire a shot at certain points when heading back down in line with you, so you can predict his firing pattern.

Or just grab the key and go through the easier Mole Patrol stage.

skipping a level?? No way mate, Imma gonna 100% this bitch or die trying (thre 3ds will die, I mean); thanks for the advice, I just wasted 55 lives on it. This is by far the hardest crap I've smashed my face into, platforming-wise. Not even those W-8 airships in SMB3 were this infuriatingly BITCH

LOL, good times, I hope I don't smash my DS... the Wiimote had a condom thing that protected it...

thankfully I have a couch right next to my desk, so i can throw the bloody 3DS and it would end bouncing on it!

SuperSah

Banned
I cannot do the bat level in World 4. It's driving me mad, it's tricky to dodge the sonic waves.

The "O" in 4-3 was utterly brutal too. I did manage it after.

Floex

I cannot do the bat level in World 4. It's driving me mad, it's tricky to dodge the sonic waves.

The "O" in 4-3 was utterly brutal too. I did manage it after.

The trick is take the bat as far to the top as possible then repeat when lowering down.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
World 5 complete! After all those rails it was nice ta get back to some platforming! An at long last ropes/vines make their return so DK can become the king of swing once more! The first 4 levels were good. I liked the part in the totem level where ya blow at one of the monuments ears to wake it up! 5-5 was a buncha fun barrel cannon action! 5-8 was crazy though! That swarm killed me the first time since I didn't know wtf was going on but from there on it was tense but doable on my second try. The boss was pretty cool once I knew not to try jumping on its head but on its body instead. Thank goodness you could pound the switches from any angle instead of having to wait for them to circle up to the top!

It displays your time attack medal.
Hurrah! I half guessed right!

Thank God that lives are readily available because this game is kicking my arse. I have to say though, having owned a Wii but rarely bothering with it, the 3DS is supplying me with a variety of genres that most home consoles have been devoid of lately. I can see why certain people are switching exclusively to handhelds nowadays.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
FINALLY! the nightmare is over. Fuck you, purple shit. Missed the G though, so doing all this shit again will be amazingly fun! woo!

AhEEYtt.gif

sheaaaa

Decided to plunge into the Wii version having played through about 5 worlds on the 3DS version, and I don't regret it. Unless portability is key for you, I recommend the Wii version wholeheartedly.

Waggle is slightly annoying but it hasn't been inaccurate so far, just a slight flick works. Having the game in 60 FPS and on a much bigger screen makes a world of difference.

How are the new levels though? Worth playing through the last few worlds to have a go?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
At world 5-8, I just now realized that "you can run."

I had been playing the entire game so far with d-pad controls, completely oblivious to the fact that there was a run button I was not using, fully under the assumption that DK was just "slow" in DKCR.

WELP that sure makes this "outrun the spiders" level easier.

Neiteio

I had been playing the entire game so far with d-pad controls, completely oblivious to the fact that there was a run button I was not using, fully under the assumption that DK was just "slow" in DKCR.

Oh, ha! :)

And in the other thread about DKCR, someone said they didn't know you can roll off an edge and jump again midair.

It makes me wonder if some of the people who aren't "clicking" with the game don't realize the full extent of the controls/mechanics.

Finished world 1 last night. Man what a tight plat former this is. Tons of fun. I now have way too many games to play on my 3ds

I'm in the same boat.

Nintendo needs to launch the "Too Many Games!" promotion, where they buy back games in your backlog at the cost of 4 games in return for 3 games.

MarkusRJR

I kind of hate the d-pad controls so far. They should have made the Y button do running/rolling and not running/grab. It's so awkward to roll while running + jumping. Thankfully I moved it over to the circle pad controls and found them better, but using anything analog in a 2.5D platformer is kind of weird. Also, 3D has tons of crosstalk in this game so I'm only playing in 2D.

The game is still really awesome though, the above are just minor annoyances.

The first time I tried the run button I thought something was off. It makes him move so slightly faster I thought they actually just removed running or something.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
World 6 is over with!

In 6-1 the first time I fell in the tar I thought I was dead! It didn't kill me but I killed myself before figuring out how to get untarred! I must be on Team Mine Carts cause I once again liked 'em so 6-2's good by me. 6-3 was decent as balancing acts go! The last part of 6-4 blew big time... so many deaths, so much time spent idly waiting for boulders to roll past ya to move a couple steps forward & repeat. Well even the earlier part of the level was pretty bad cause its hard to judge when the boulders rolling towards the screen are out of your path or not. 6-6 was good save for the final segment with the insta-death boulder o' doom. Good fakeout on the world map after beating it, I thought it was onto the boss but not so! 6-8 is really awful. Vertical levels where ya scroll up an inch and die if you fall down suck! The one shot live or die barrels dun help neither. The boss is the worst so far! Its slow, tedious, and your highly likely to get hit immediately after hitting it cause its head & horn snap up so fast -_- Oh an that cheering from the tiki crowd is waaaay to loud.

Murrah

Banned
Yep, world 6 boss is the worst part of the game. Potential mirror mode runners beware

But after 6 you get hands down the best world in the game, so it'll have been worth it

Frolow

Banned
Beat the game. 8-K was underwhelming and I'm dissapointed that you couldn't beat the snot out of the last Tiki boss. Other then those two complaints, world 8 was fantastic.

Reknoc

This game is cursed to have really baffling control decisions. Whose bright idea was it to have button layout dependent on whether you use the circle pad or d-pad instead of allowing both to be used and have you choose which button layout you want?

Well whatever I guess, at least the game is still really good, and it was the last game I needed to get Animal Crossing for free.

Thoraxes

Just finished world 2 and this game is awesome. I actually missed the Wii Version the first time around and this version is just perfect, not to mention the use of 3D is great!

I may pick up the Wii version too, just for dat 60 FPS bro-op with a bro.

hatchx

Banned
This game is cursed to have really baffling control decisions. Whose bright idea was it to have button layout dependent on whether you use the circle pad or d-pad instead of allowing both to be used and have you choose which button layout you want?

Well whatever I guess, at least the game is still really good, and it was the last game I needed to get Animal Crossing for free.

Did they really do that?

If you switch to D-pad the entire setup changes?

wha?

sheaaaa

Wait, how do you run?

On a similar note, how do you get more than one hit on the boss tikis? The most I've ever had is a two-hit combo.

panda21

is it better to play in classic mode or new mode? do you miss out on the extra stuff (if there is any) in classic mode?

Rich!

Got it as my free NOE promotion game.

framerate is a bit dodgy, but serviceable. The 3D is so far horrendous. The game just doesn't suit itself to it, and ghosting is everywhere. Problem is, my eyes just don't know what to focus on. its actually the first 3DS game I've ever played where I cannot use the 3D mode. Very dissapointing.

game is still awesome though

MarkusRJR

Seeing a bunch of frame rate dips now that I've played past the first world. Keeps going between mid/low 20's to 30 depending on how big/busy a stage is. Disappointing but nothing outright bad yet.

Played a bit on the bus and Tidal Terror ruined me, took off half of my 40 lives or so.
You're gonna have fun with the later levels, lol.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm being strong and resisting picking a Wii U by compromising and picking up a 3DS game today. I've decided I'll order DKCR since I loved the SNES games so much and this one comes so highly regarded.

I've been watching tons of vids and it seems like they've done a great job shoving a Wii game in there. I'm thankful because I wanted to play this back in the day but lacked a Wii.

Argh, I forgot how much I hate 5-8. Makes no sense that I can do 1-K no problem, but 5-8 of all levels is still giving me trouble in terms of getting all the letters in one run (I remember it giving me trouble in the Wii version as well). Getting that "N" is just so damn difficult.

On another note, I'm a huge game music aficionado and somehow the soundtrack didn't really jump out at me that much when I played through the Wii version, or at least it wasn't very memorable to me. Playing the 3DS version with headphones, though, has opened my eyes (well, ears) to just how excellent this game's soundtrack really is. It's got just the right mix of nostalgic remixes done well and completely new material... it's just really good. The remixed forest theme is just way too awesome.

K' Dash

Got it as my free NOE promotion game.

framerate is a bit dodgy, but serviceable. The 3D is so far horrendous. The game just doesn't suit itself to it, and ghosting is everywhere. Problem is, my eyes just don't know what to focus on. its actually the first 3DS game I've ever played where I cannot use the 3D mode. Very dissapointing.

game is still awesome though

wow, its like youre playing a different game, I'd recommend this game to people who already played the wii version for the 3D alone.

MarkusRJR

wow, its like youre playing a different game, I'd recommend this game to people who already played the wii version for the 3D alone.
I think he means cross talk when he's talking about "ghosting". Cross talk is really prevalent in this game, especially on XL units.

Top Bottom