• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

daxy

I really don't like the way this game plays :/ DK feels unresponsive and the control scheme doesn't feel natural, both with the slide pad and dpad. Perhaps it's in part due to the frame rate not being high enough, which would allow the game to give more snappy feedback.

The level design is great, but I can't enjoy it when it feels like I'm struggling against the controls more than the environment. I'll play through a couple of worlds before actually considering trading it :x

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I really don't like the way this game plays :/ DK feels unresponsive and the control scheme doesn't feel natural, both with the slide pad and dpad. Perhaps it's in part due to the frame rate not being high enough, which would allow the game to give more snappy feedback.

The level design is great, but I can't enjoy it when it feels like I'm struggling against the controls more than the environment. I'll play through a couple of worlds before actually considering trading it :x

What is it so "unresponsive" about the controls? They clicked with me after a couple levels and I think they very precise.

I agree that I get a lot of ghosting or cross talk with the 3D on. A lot more than most 3DS games I have played. I deal with it but it does look bleh from time to time.

Peru

They're spot on precise and allow for pitch perfect tight platforming.

Neiteio

I think he means cross talk when he's talking about "ghosting". Cross talk is really prevalent in this game, especially on XL units.
I played through the entire game on an XL, with 3D cranked up all the way, and I saw NO ghosting, except for the occasional faint crosstalk when I specifically looked for it in the darker K-stages.

Likewise with the framerate: I haven't seen any perceptible dips. I'm a PC gamer who can tell the difference between 60 and 30, and I know this is running at 30, but I completed everything 100 percent up through World 8, and I never saw it dip or stutter below 30, no matter how hectic the stage got.

I'm playing a digital copy, rather than off a card, but I doubt that'd make a difference. Perhaps play style can affect performance?

daxy

What is it so "unresponsive" about the controls? They clicked with me after a couple levels and I think they very precise.

Unresponsive isn't quite right, I suppose, as it's majorly a design choice. It's hard to put into words. Going from something that controls as snappy and smoothly as Rayman Origins to this is a big difference. Not saying it's a better game, but it's got good game feel. It's the slow nature of Donkey Kong in DKCR. His jump is a bit floaty, he turns slowly, he takes a moment to get up to speed or standstill. For similar reasons I don't like the way Luigi plays in SM3DL.
At the same time the game isn't super fluid because the frame rate isn't what you'd want from a game that has such deliberate character mobility, making it feel all the more weighty and paced slower than it is.
The way DK moves of course makes for a unique style of platformer, with a light touch of NES Castlevania platforming in the way it seems to want you to approach thinking about jumping. I'm not saying it's a bad design , I just can't say I like the way DK controls in this game.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
How long have you played it? As I mentioned, it took me a couple levels to get used to the controls/style of platforming, but now I think DK's controls are extremely tight. Maybe you'll think the same after you play it for a while.

daxy

How long have you played it? As I mentioned, it took me a couple levels to get used to the controls/style of platforming, but now I think DK's controls are extremely tight. Maybe you'll think the same after you play it for a while.

Yeah, I've only played it for about an hour so perhaps it's really something I just need to get used to in order to get into the rhythm of the game.

edit: I'd like to go back to DKC to see how that played. Maybe I'm getting overly critical because the frame rate bugs me :p

GeekyDad

I played through the entire game on an XL, with 3D cranked up all the way, and I saw NO ghosting, except for the occasional faint crosstalk when I specifically looked for it in the darker K-stages.

Likewise with the framerate: I haven't seen any perceptible dips. I'm a PC gamer who can tell the difference between 60 and 30, and I know this is running at 30, but I completed everything 100 percent up through World 8, and I never saw it dip or stutter below 30, no matter how hectic the stage got.

I'm playing a digital copy, rather than off a card, but I doubt that'd make a difference. Perhaps play style can affect performance?

This 3D technology simply isn't a one-size-fits-all. The slight differences in a person's eyes (namely the separation of their eyes) is sure to make quite the difference in 3D perception. The slider might help to some degree, but there are a lot more factors to consider. Nintendo has some catching up to do with...God. ;)

Frolow

Banned
is it better to play in classic mode or new mode? do you miss out on the extra stuff (if there is any) in classic mode?

The only thing you miss out on, if you play in classic mode, would be new items in Cranky's shop and having 3 hearts instead of 2. Otherwise the game is exactly the same.

Neiteio

I love DK Island in this game. It basically alternates between jungle and non-jungle for the first five worlds -- Jungle, Beach, Ruins, Cave, Forest -- and I like this because DK's world shouldn't have just one densely vegetated zone. It never feels repetitive, either, because each jungle is unique. Then, as it works its way up the mountains, you have the Cliffs, the Factory above them, and the Volcano that powers the factory. (I capitalized because I'm using the proper world names.)

The Forest is probably the zone I like best, conceptually. High up in the canopy, amid towering totem poles, enormous mushrooms, treetop villages, man-eating plants, and sacs full of spider eggs... I think the unlockable diorama sums it up neatly.

The Cave has a similar cohesive feel, with clusters of crystal, fungi here and there, and twisting train tracks throughout. I also dig the waterways and shantytown in Mole Patrol.

Really, every world has amazing attention to detail. On paper, these world themes have been done before, but Retro made each feel fresh again. The "desert" world wasn't just sun and sand; it was sun slanting through cloud cover, across cliffs embedded with the fossils of trilobites, high above tar fields filled with dinosaur bones and egg shells. The Volcano wasn't just fire and brimstone, but spires of hexagonal basalt formations amid pooling craters of viscous lava. Nothing feels generic here. Simply amazing.

People who heavily disliked waggle control on Wii. How is this version? I stopped in world 6 on the Wii because I couldn't stand the waggle.

It's so much better. Couldn't play the wii version but this one got a very good flow and you can finaly enjoy the platforming and level design.

Hale-XF11

Welp, I've completed all levels in classic mode.

Wow, what a game! I feel like a platforming god now.

Now to check out the bonus levels.

Joqu

Just picked this up, I'm impressed!

I already owned Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii and I didn't even mind the waggle all that much but I just stopped playing for some reason so I decided that this was a pretty good time to give it another try. I tend to do that a lot, stopping playing... Anyways, I personally really like the 3D effect, much better than what we got with NSMB 2 imo. There is some crosstalk going on but there's a nice amount of depth and I like that in my 3D. Framerate is a bit dodgy at places but I'm not that bothered by it, the game runs well enough.

But most importantly: this game is really fun! Why the hell did I give up on the Wii version?!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
World 7's done for! Could the end be near?!

7-1 was surprisingly playable and fun despite the low visibility! 7-2 blew my mind with the crushers not being insta-kills. After all the cheap deathtraps they've thrown at ya thus far I was expecting death the first time I was caught in one! 7-4 I wish was a platforming level instead of a rocket barrel one it just seemed like it woulda been more suited to running & jumping. Them find the switch series of levels were all alright an thankfully the switches weren't super hidden! 7-R was a short but nifty surprise! The boss however was major ugh! Its already difficult so they really didn't need to make it take an hour to reveal its weak spot each cycle. Cause each time ya die ya gotta go through that same long startup each an every time an that hurt what woulda otherwise been a good boss battle.

Picked this game up a few days ago; never played the Wii version. I'm at 3-3 after about two hours, but that's without getting all the collectibles. The level variety in this game is simply astounding. Seriously, it's like a new concept is introduced every single level. I've watched an LP of this before, but man have I been missing out not having played this myself. I've forgotten what a lot of the levels are like so I still find myself surprised and refreshed with every new stage. Absolutely beautiful. Shockingly enough, I'm actually really looking forward to world 4.

daxy

Got all Kong letters in World 1 but 1-K isn't unlocked. What gives? :x

Edit: the map screen tells me I somehow skipped 1-4! Time to find an alternative exit I suppose.

Neiteio

Got all Kong letters in World 1 but 1-K isn't unlocked. What gives? :x
Did you buy the key from Cranky's shop to unlock Sunset Shores and get all the KONG letters there, as well? And you know each level has its own set of KONG letters, right?

daxy

Did you buy the key from Cranky's shop to unlock Sunset Shores and get all the KONG letters there, as well? And you know each level has its own set of KONG letters, right?

Ah, didn't think I'd have to buy a key for that. Assumed those were just there to skip a level. Thanks!

OmegaFax

Be honest GAF, how many times did you use Super Kong?

This game was made by genius assholes.

Keyword: Genius

I only used Super Kong twice to see what it was or what it did. I ended up untoggling the auto-pilot and dropped Super Kong into lava while the other time I let it play through the level.

Frolow

Banned
Interesting, you know the icon you get for collecting all the KONG letters in a given level? Well the icon turns blue if you collect all the KONG letters in mirror mode. This wasn't in the Wii version, so I'm curious to see if there's an extra reward for getting all of them.

Neiteio

Did you play world 9 yet? What did you think?
I'm going to play World 9 tonight. :)

After I beat the main game yesterday, I just jumped around playing random levels. I really wish this game had Random Level Select. I like ALL of the levels so it's hard to pick and choose which to play next! But off-hand, some favorites include Platform Panic, Sunset Shore, Stormy Shore, Damp Dungeon, Bombs Away, Mole Patrol, Longshot Launch, Prehistoric Path, Foggy Fumes, Gear Getaway, Hot Rocket, Roasting Rails and Smokey Peak.

But that's just off-hand. Again, I love ALL of the levels. Perhaps the only one that strikes me as somewhat weak is Five Monkey Trials in World 8, but even that one is fundamentally fun by virtue of the game's mechanics (and it was sweet mercy not having to search for the puzzle pieces in that one!).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
World 8 over, game won!

I liked the ? you get for dying in these levels. Its like the games even confused at the many stupid deaths I had! 8-1 was a tough introduction to the volcano but at this point in the game tough is to be expected! Mainly the first part of the level was hard but overall good. 8-2 was rockety goodness. Those lava baddies looked real neat. Liked the mix of platforming & mine carts 8-3 had but I just wanna forget how many times I died on the last three jumps before the end barrel. 8-5 & 8-6 were straightfoward an good breathers after previous levels! 8-7 however was kinda terrifying, especially when I failed to bounce high enough off the baddies. Thank goodness for last second platforms appearing! I'm surprised there was no final boss fight and instead just a rocket section but thats okay by me!
Tiki Tong does not exist an thats that. Anyone saying otherwise is just plain imagining things.

Be honest GAF, how many times did you use Super Kong?
0 times

OmegaFax

I'm going to play World 9 tonight. :)

After I beat the main game yesterday, I just jumped around playing random levels. I really wish this game had Random Level Select. I like ALL of the levels so it's hard to pick and choose which to play next! But off-hand, some favorites include Platform Panic, Sunset Shore, Stormy Shore, Damp Dungeon, Bombs Away, Mole Patrol, Longshot Launch, Prehistoric Path, Foggy Fumes, Gear Getaway, Hot Rocket, Roasting Rails and Smokey Peak.

But that's just off-hand. Again, I love ALL of the levels. Perhaps the only one that strikes me as somewhat week is Five Monkey Trials in World 8, but even that one is fundamentally fun by virtue of the game's mechanics (and it was sweet mercy not having to search for the puzzle pieces in that one!).

Honestly, that would be a great feature for any platformer. :(

New Super Mario Bros. 2 has Coin Rush mode, which picks random levels. There's just nothing really too memorable about ... well, any of them.

I honestly don't get this game. There's all the leimotifs there that just screams "HEY GUYS NOSTALGIA" but then they ripped out the gameplay and lore guts out of the game along with the DKC era DK noises and then thew it all into the blender.

Don't get me wrong the game is fun to play and utterly fantastic but DKC this really isn't.

I honestly don't get this game. There's all the leimotifs there that just screams "HEY GUYS NOSTALGIA" but then they ripped out the gameplay and lore guts out of the game along with the DKC era DK noises and then thew it all into the blender.

Don't get me wrong the game is fun to play and utterly fantastic but DKC this really isn't.

It's a modern take on the series.

Think of it as if DKC continued to get sequels several times over for the past 15 years instead of DK64/DKJB and eventually evolved into what Returns is.

Only thing that feels definitely 'off' about it being a true DKC to me is the lack of animal buddies/Kongs, Cranky's been neutered and the music doesn't compare well with the original SNES OST's.

Just got this for $25 from Gamefly. Not too familiar with the franchise, but after finishing Rayman Origins (which was spectacular), I'm itching for another platformer. With the extremely positive reception this seems to be getting everywhere, I figured that price would be a steal.

Neiteio

Part of me likes to think Cliff World is just the original snow area from DKC1, but all melted and dry due to the active volcano They even share the same music!
Whoa, that's a cool theory. :O

Now then, I just beat CLOUD. Impressions!

The Jungle stage and Beach stage are excellent warm-ups. I like the new vistas, such as the river delta in the Beach stage. But the Ruins is where shit gets real. I love how you briefly escape the spiked wall of death (set to the Muncher Marathon theme!) via blast barrels into the background, only to be launched back into the foreground later, the wall immediately reappearing with a vengeance.

Then there's the Cave level, which is FANTASTIC -- utterly brutal in its final stretch, with a mine cart section that demands flawless execution, but the punishment is so gratifying! The Cave level is also notable for being a hybrid cart/platforming level, which is welcome indeed since the Cave world in the main game didn't offer many opportunities for pure platforming. It's nice to be able to wander around a bit in this crystal wonderland... although a new gimmick in the form of moles lobbing bombs from the background keeps the pressure on you!

The Forest stage was equally awesome, taking my favorite song in the game and syncing the flipping and rotating of platforms with the beat. We also get to go ABOVE the treetops of the Forest world, something I don't recall seeing in the main game. The treetops are twisted, like something out of Dr. Seuss, standing in sharp relief against a golden sky. A fantastic level that does well by the high standards of the Forest!

The winning streak continues with the Cliffs level, which introduces a new gimmick in the form of falling balls of tar. At first they're nonlethal, simply muddying DK and inhibiting his movement, forcing him to find solid ground so he can shake it off -- or sink into the tar trying. But the tar balls become instant death later in the level where you have to clear increasingly intricate jumps -- off platforms that rise into piercing bone if you don't leave them quick enough, for that matter -- and if you're hit by a tar ball mid-air, you will fall to your doom. It's a GREAT gimmick. Also, is it just me or did the background in this Cliff level have more dinosaur bones, egg shells, etc, than the Cliff world in the main game?

In the Factory level, you assemble, piece by piece, a robot of Arcade DK. The bits in-between each assembly feature a variety of tropes from the Factory world. Just a fun, well-paced journey to the top of a brick-and-mortar building where your robot creation is finally unleashed! And then in the Volcano you have a new gimmick in the form of a rotating wheel, where you must platform across its spokes before they each plunge into the lava. At the end was a particular bitch of a stretch where, with only DK at my disposal, I had to run and roll along a sinking hallway, getting to a container with a puzzle piece before it sank below the lava. That bit took me like 50 tries!

In the end, I got all of the puzzle pieces, including those in the final level from the original game, high up in the sky across a series of floating fruit. The new and improved Cloud world is EXCELLENT, a perfect summary of the game's difficulty curve, starting out gentle enough and then ramping up the challenge. It's a great way to revisit each world theme, and yet the gimmicks are new and there are often new backgrounds, as well. Having a full-blown ninth world added to the game is SWEET.

I just wish we could have some sort of confirmation as to whether Monster was primarily responsible for the design of these new levels. If so, they have my absolute confidence handling a sequel all on their own. The new levels are excellent and perfectly in keeping with the integrity of the main game, and they show there is still so much they can do in terms of stage variety.

What an INCREDIBLE game!

Whoa, that's a cool theory. :O

Now then, I just beat CLOUD. Impressions!

The Jungle stage and Beach stage are excellent warm-ups. I like the new vistas, such as the river delta in the Beach stage. But the Ruins is where shit gets real. I love how you briefly escape the spiked wall of death (set to the Muncher Marathon theme!) via blast barrels into the background, only to be launched back into the foreground later, the wall immediately reappearing with a vengeance.

Then there's the Cave level, which is FANTASTIC -- utterly brutal in its final stretch, with a mine cart section that demands flawless execution, but the punishment is so gratifying! The Cave level is also notable for being a hybrid cart/platforming level, which is welcome indeed since the Cave world in the main game didn't offer many opportunities for pure platforming. It's nice to be able to wander around a bit in this crystal wonderland... although a new gimmick in the form of moles lobbing bombs from the background keeps the pressure on you!

The Forest stage was equally awesome, taking my favorite song in the game and syncing the flipping and rotating of platforms with the beat. We also get to go ABOVE the treetops of the Forest world, something I don't recall seeing in the main game. The treetops are twisted, like something out of Dr. Seuss, standing in sharp relief against a golden sky. A fantastic level that does well by the high standards of the Forest!

The winning streak continues with the Cliffs level, which introduces a new gimmick in the form of falling balls of tar. At first they're nonlethal, simply muddying DK and inhibiting his movement, forcing him to find solid ground so he can shake it off -- or sink into the tar trying. But the tar balls become instant death later in the level where you have to clear increasingly intricate jumps -- off platforms that rise into piercing bone if you don't leave them quick enough, for that matter -- and if you're hit by a tar ball mid-air, you will fall to your doom. It's a GREAT gimmick. Also, is it just me or did the background in this Cliff level have more dinosaur bones, egg shells, etc, than the Cliff world in the main game?

In the Factory level, you assemble, piece by piece, a robot of Arcade DK. The bits in-between each assembly feature a variety of tropes from the Factory world. Just a fun, well-paced journey to the top of a brick-and-mortar building where your robot creation is finally unleashed! And then in the Volcano you have a new gimmick in the form of a rotating wheel, where you must platform across its spokes before they each plunge into the lava. At the end was a particular bitch of a stretch where, with only DK at my disposal, I had to run and roll along a sinking hallway, getting to a container with a puzzle piece before it sank below the lava. That bit took me like 50 tries!

In the end, I got all of the puzzle pieces, including those in the final level from the original game, high up in the sky across a series of floating fruit. The new and improved Cloud world is EXCELLENT, a perfect summary of the game's difficulty curve, starting out gentle enough and then ramping up the challenge. It's a great way to revisit each world theme, and yet the gimmicks are new and there are often new backgrounds, as well. Having a full-blown ninth world added to the game is SWEET.

I just wish we could have some sort of confirmation as to whether Monster was primarily responsible for the design of these new levels. If so, they have my absolute confidence handling a sequel all on their own. The new levels are excellent and perfectly in keeping with the integrity of the main game, and they show there is still so much they can do in terms of stage variety.

What an INCREDIBLE game!

Happy to hear that the new levels are so good! I can't wait to get there. I just finished Forest and am absolutely loving my second time through this game. So glad I double-dipped.

Gambit

What an INCREDIBLE game!

That's what I want to hear. Here's hoping Monster will prepare a sequel for next year. I need more DK platforming perfection.

Haven't played this on Wii, would you guys say buy it or just get the wii version used?

Not gonna lie, this would be amazing if you don't care about framerate at all. At times, I literally have trouble seeing games at 30fps if they aren't animation heavy, so the 3DS version is pretty unplayable without me getting highly irritated. The Wii version is superior obviously, but I would rather have the game on a portable. If 30fps is fine for you, jump on that immediately. If not, the Wii version is fantastic.

There is that motion rolling bit to think about on the Wii version. I personally didn't, but quite a few people did.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the Forest world is incredible, pure platform finesse. But getting those pieces and Kong letters in Muncher Marathon is going to be a bitch

I was like
0LAbg.gif

pwack

The actual play mechanics seem awesome (through world 2), but the frame rate and bluriness/cross talk is so bad for me personally I think I can't play anymore. Eye strain, almost to the point of vertigo/dizziness. Not experienced anything like this I first tried to play Ghost Recon at launch with full 3d on.

Murrah

Banned
The game keeping track of if you get the Kong pieces in mirror mode (Gnok pieces?) is fucking devious, I love it. Original didn't do that, right? I don't remember that being a thing but I haven't gone back to mirror mode in the original since I conquered it

I'm almost through with world 4 in mirror, but I stopped playing last night right before the real ridiculous levels to beat with only one heart start. I know I'm going to hate myself and the game all over again for all the boss and temple levels left

Top Bottom