• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

ALC

Neo Member
The level designs are the best in a platformer that I've seen in a while. Every object/enemy/obstacle is carefully placed and you won't get all the collectibles just by running through the level on autopilot. As someone else posted there is a great sense of weight when controlling DK yet the controls feel precise for the platforming in this game. Playing this with the wiimote sideways and after a 5-10 minute acclimation period I never really that dying was caused by some accidental motion waggle or due to the supposedly inferior d-pad.

I too was first worried about the motion control for rolling and although there is a very tiny delay compared to a button press I haven't encountered a situation where response time for rolling got me killed. You can't expect to roll jump through the entire game like you could in some parts of DKC1. You need to know when and when not to roll jump as the distance it covers is so large that you will overshoot some platforms if used incorrectly. When you come across an obstacle that needs roll jumping the level design gives you more than enough room to make up for any slight delay from the waggle. I actually prefer this over the spin jump waggle in NSMB Wii - now that game caused a few accidental deaths due to the sensitivity.

Would I have preferred button press for rolling over the waggle ? Definitely but I don't think it detracts from the game at all. One aspect of the controls that I do question is the blow mechanic which feels totally redundant of the ground pound.

Hylian7

I picked up the game today and it's incredible so far. My only complaint is that the motion controls feel unnecessary, and I wish there was Classic Controller support. Otherwise, the level design is very top-notch and the difficulty is really good. I'm going to discuss a certain level in World 3 below:

FUCK ITTY BITTY BITERS! I died at least 10 goddamn times on that level, it was so difficult.

DarkPanda

Ok so, I've played this game for about an hour, completely in co-op mode. We beat the first world, but didn't find all of the puzzle pieces in each level yet. Part of that I blame on different play styles: I like to search the level, but he likes to charge through until the end. It's fine; we'll go back and replay the levels to find everything, probably with Squawks helping us along the way.

I've been playing the game with the wiimote only, and so far I've had no problems with the waggle controls. In fact, that only issue I has was with the rolling jumps. Rolling and then jumping gives you a lot more distance in this game than in the original DKC, and it took me a while to get used to the extra distance when trying to grab an out of the way item. Other than that, the controls work great, waggle and all.

LevityNYC

Banned
Ranger X said:
:lol This game is hard. I'm getting owned in the first world!

(I am at 1-K Platform Panic)

Retro didn't fuck around!

That level was such a bitch. Classic "learn by dying" level though. Having no checkpoint is a real bitch too. I died about 35-40 times before finally getting it. (i missed 2 puzzle pieces though).

Balb

Unfortunately I won't be able to play this game til Tuesday. Does it have a five star system like NSMBW? Actually, my real question is, are there any detriments to triggering the autoplay option (the option that allows the computer to finish the level for you)? I remember doing so in NSMBW would take away the ability for you to get 5 stars on your file.

Salsa

Balb said:
Actually, my real question is, are there any detriments to triggering the autoplay option (the option that allows the computer to finish the level for you)? I remember doing so in NSMBW would take away the ability for you to get 5 stars on your file.

You dont get the collectables (not even bananas) AFAIK

Balb

SalsaShark said:
You dont get the collectables (not even bananas) AFAIK

Oh I'm not talking about actually using the Super Guide (is that what it's called in this game)? I just mean triggering the option of whether you want to use it or not. In NSMBW, no matter what choice you selected, you wouldn't be able to get to 5 stars since you died in the same level a certain amount of times.

upandaway

Balb said:
Oh I'm not talking about actually using the Super Guide (is that what it's called in this game)? I just mean triggering the option of whether you want to use it or not. In NSMBW, no matter what choice you selected, you wouldn't be able to get to 5 stars since you died in the same level a certain amount of times.
Well you would be able to get 5 stars, but if you see the green block in the game, that means your 5 stars in the end will not have shiny glitter to them.

Easy way to cheat out of that would be to play the entire game in co-op, because you'll never see the green block then.

Balb

upandaway said:
Well you would be able to get 5 stars, but if you see the green block in the game, that means your 5 stars in the end will not have shiny glitter to them.

Easy way to cheat out of that would be to play the entire game in co-op, because you'll never see the green block then.

Yeah sorry I meant the shiny glitter then. Been a while since I've played the game.

Ranger X

LevityNYC said:
That level was such a bitch. Classic "learn by dying" level though. Having no checkpoint is a real bitch too. I died about 35-40 times before finally getting it. (i missed 2 puzzle pieces though).

Got them all and scored a silver medal in time attack. I'm sure I also died like 40 times. :lol

LevityNYC said:

Shit! I just took a break there. My OCD won't let me continue :(.

Holy shit is this game good, and I can actually see why people said that the co-op is harder than single player! :lol
Every time you die you lose 2 lives for the both of you, yikes!
Still fun to play with my brother as Diddy Kong. The animation for when Diddy's running with the barrel is really funny for whatever reason.:lol

I personally haven't tried using the nunchuck, but my brother who started like I did with it sideways tried it out that way for a bit. He felt the button placement was just to weird for him so he switched back.
And for myself, I just prefer to control 2D games with D-Pads. Control sticks just don't feel right when playing 2D games.

BigJonsson said:
OMG THE SUNSET LEVEL

I love that level, the song really goes well with it. :D

KevinCow

Banned
It's funny to think I was afraid the game might not be challenging enough when it was first revealed.

I really like how you slowly grow to learn how the level designers were thinking as you make your way through the game. You just kinda develop a sixth sense for where secrets should be, and you're often right, even though you might seem crazy to someone watching for wandering left or jumping down a seemingly bottomless pit. I hardly got any secrets in the first world, but now it's not entirely uncommon to get all the jiggies and KONG my first time through a stage. Then I went back and played a couple world 1 levels and it's kinda funny how many I just wandered past.

The M.O.B

:lol At one point I accidentally rolled off a ledge, only to land in a barrel and get blasted into the Bonus stage.

Also, am I the only one who immediately goes to the left to make sure they didn't put anything there?

The M.O.B said:
:lol At one point I accidentally rolled off a ledge, only to land in a barrel and get blasted into the Bonus stage.

Also, am I the only one who immediately goes to the left to make sure they didn't put anything there?

First thing I did when I started level 1, anyone who played DKC on SNES should know to do that

flak57

ALC said:
The level designs are the best in a platformer that I've seen in a while. Every object/enemy/obstacle is carefully placed and you won't get all the collectibles just by running through the level on autopilot. As someone else posted there is a great sense of weight when controlling DK yet the controls feel precise for the platforming in this game. Playing this with the wiimote sideways and after a 5-10 minute acclimation period I never really that dying was caused by some accidental motion waggle or due to the supposedly inferior d-pad.

I too was first worried about the motion control for rolling and although there is a very tiny delay compared to a button press I haven't encountered a situation where response time for rolling got me killed. You can't expect to roll jump through the entire game like you could in some parts of DKC1. You need to know when and when not to roll jump as the distance it covers is so large that you will overshoot some platforms if used incorrectly. When you come across an obstacle that needs roll jumping the level design gives you more than enough room to make up for any slight delay from the waggle. I actually prefer this over the spin jump waggle in NSMB Wii - now that game caused a few accidental deaths due to the sensitivity.

Would I have preferred button press for rolling over the waggle ? Definitely but I don't think it detracts from the game at all. One aspect of the controls that I do question is the blow mechanic which feels totally redundant of the ground pound.
Wait... You can't jump right after you begin a roll? If you could do that obviously you would be able to control your distance.

JRW

Im on world 2-2 now but im still not sure on something, how the heck do I reach the letter O on world 1-1 without dying lol.

Awesome game btw.

KevinCow said:
It's funny to think I was afraid the game might not be challenging enough when it was first revealed.

I really like how you slowly grow to learn how the level designers were thinking as you make your way through the game. You just kinda develop a sixth sense for where secrets should be, and you're often right, even though you might seem crazy to someone watching for wandering left or jumping down a seemingly bottomless pit. I hardly got any secrets in the first world, but now it's not entirely uncommon to get all the jiggies and KONG my first time through a stage. Then I went back and played a couple world 1 levels and it's kinda funny how many I just wandered past.

Yes, agree completely about the level design.

When that hit me, it really became apparent that this is a Retro Studios game. I felt Metroid Prime was the same way, once you explored the game a bit, you began to really understand the levels, and the visual cues.

It makes finding the hidden elements both intuitive and rewarding.

KevinCow

Banned
JRW said:
Im on world 2-2 now but im still not sure on something, how the heck do I reach the letter O on world 1-1 without dying lol.

Awesome game btw.

Roll off the edge then jump while you're still in the rolling animation. Apes have no need for the laws of physics.

BowieZ

Banned
JasonUresti said:
Yes, agree completely about the level design.

When that hit me, it really became apparent that this is a Retro Studios game. I felt Metroid Prime was the same way, once you explored the game a bit, you began to really understand the levels, and the visual cues.

It makes finding the hidden elements both intuitive and rewarding.
The same sort of thing happens in NSMBW I feel.

Kyleripman said:
I've been doing sideways control so far. I tried nunchuk but it didn't really click for me. Holding down a button to run is just so DKC for me; I love the sideways control scheme.

I haven't read this thread, but the lack of run button on the OP, and this post makes me wonder if there is no run button on the wiimote/nunchuk setting. Does DK run and walk depending on the pression of the stick?

hatchx

Banned
RockmanWhore said:
I haven't read this thread, but the lack of run button on the OP, and this post makes me wonder if there is no run button on the wiimote/nunchuk setting. Does DK run and walk depending on the pression of the stick?

Yes. DK isn't a terribly fast runner either, so you need to mix rolls into it for speed.

BigJonsson said:
Holy fuck the cart level

This game is UNBELIEVABLE

World 1 done

Attention to detail in this thing is killer

m6a9L.gif

Please, hurry the hell up December 2nd! I need this now!

Eteric Rice

The only thing I can say about this game is... Well...

The guys who made NSMB and NSMB Wii?

They just got told.

FUCKING TOLD.

I feel like this game, in terms of difficulty, is what people have been asking for from Nintendo for a long time. You're going to die, and you're probably going to die a lot, but the levels are doable.

And my God, the levels are so alive. The trees sway in the wind, the water brushes up against the rocks, everything.

I tried playing with nunchuck and Wii-mote but I felt it was TO sensitive to my stomps (kept making the crabs come pop back upright). I do, like many, wish CC was available. But not because of the motion controls, but because the d-pad on the Wii-mote is to small.

Anyway, at the end of world 2, and so far 9.6/10 for me.

Hobbun

LevityNYC said:
NP, I kept trying to jetpack too.

Yeah, me too. I was like “WTF, why aren’t they hovering long enough to collect the ‘O’ and make the jump?”

Then I remembered I could roll as well and figured, “what the hell” and it worked. Obviously the first time I had used it. :lol

Actually, one of the areas I got stuck was at the first pirahna plant in 1-2. Kept trying to jump 'over' it and fell short every single time. After dying about 5-6 times, I finally saw the grass (that you can grab onto) above the plant. Duh.

Top Bottom