• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

HeySeuss

LevityNYC said:
Maybe I misremembered, but I definitely don't remember having to replay bonus stages. Once you beat it, you were done with it.
Ok, I guess I'm confused then. Are you not digging that if you mess up a bonus stage you have to die to try it again, or that if you complete the bonus stage and die later in the level, you have to replay it and beat it a second time?

Because if its the latter, it makes sense that you would need to redo the bonus stage if you didn't pass a checkpoint to save your progress.

LevityNYC

Banned
Shick Brithouse said:
Ok, I guess I'm confused then. Are you not digging that if you mess up a bonus stage you have to die to try it again, or that if you complete the bonus stage and die later in the level, you have to replay it and beat it a second time?

Because if its the latter, it makes sense that you would need to redo the bonus stage if you didn't pass a checkpoint to save your progress.

The former is far more annoying that the latter. I dont like either one of them, but I understand the point of the latter more than the former. Like I said, if the bonus level is near the end of a stage and you fail, you need to kill yourself and start at the midway point to be able to try again and you need to grab whatever other letters or puzzle pieces you already got again.

Zzoram

LevityNYC said:
Its annoying that there is a bonus stage 5 seconds from the end of the level and you mistime a jump and you fail the bonus stage. Rather than going back and trying again, you need to find the nearest pit and jump in and restart at the midway point.

Same goes for bonus stages right at the start of the level. You beat the bonus stages and then you die right before the midway point. You need to restart the level and then get the bonus stage, and then you need to beat the level again.

Its just annoying.

Just clear the levels the first time around. Go back to get all the bonuses as an added challenge your second time through.

KevinCow

Banned
Atmospherically, this game feels more like DKC3 than the first two. While 1 and 2 tend to have darker colors and broodier music, 3 and this one have much brighter colors and bouncier music. Not necessarily a bad thing, just kinda unexpected.

Shick Brithouse said:

You shouldn't have to replay a bonus stage if you've already completed it and died before a checkpoint. The puzzle pieces should show as greyed out and you can continue on without worrying about re-obtaining it. I think you'll lose the collected puzzle pieces if you exit out of the level completely without reaching the goal. But as far as the bonus stages, if you get all the bananas, and acquire the puzzle piece, that should stay in your inventory even if you die before a checkpoint - just be sure to finish the level before exiting to the map.

redbarchetta said:
Yeah, I thought it was impossible my first two times. Then I tried my current method and nailed it in just a few minutes.

Here's my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd4PEcrMACU

Nice job! I think the time trials are the only things I won't complete in this game. If it's that crazy for the first level, I'm afraid to look at the times for the later levels.

HeySeuss

JacksUsername said:
You shouldn't have to replay a bonus stage if you've already completed it and died before a checkpoint. The puzzle pieces should show as greyed out and you can continue on without worrying about re-obtaining it. I think you'll lose the collected puzzle pieces if you exit out of the level completely without reaching the goal. But as far as the bonus stages, if you get all the bananas, and acquire the puzzle piece, that should stay in your inventory even if you die before a checkpoint - just be sure to finish the level before exiting to the map.
Yeah I found this out within 5 minutes of posting that.

legend166

These impressions sound awesome. The fact that the only negative people are having is motion control makes me happy, because I have a high tolerance level for motion control.

ryan-ts

legend166 said:
These impressions sound awesome. The fact that the only negative people are having is motion control makes me happy, because I have a high tolerance level for motion control.

The waggling didn't bother me at all, guess I'm just that awesome.

boiled goose

good with gravy
legend166 said:

and retro could have seriously avoided these complaints. include a CC option. doesnt hurt anyone. there are no actions in the game that require motion at all.

a fuck up in my eyes.

Pachinko

Had a friend buy this today, 3 of us took turns playing 2 player mode. Took almost 2 hours to finish the first world, we started game overing on stage 2.

Been a looooong damn time since there's been a game designed with this level of platform precision and I love and hate it. Love it because I suspect that playing it by oneself would be excellent , hate it because playing with another person sucks.

To play the game well there is an impeccable sense of timing required that is pretty much integral to playing through the stages quickly and easily. With a second player , things keep getting held up to wait for them or they are waiting on you and well, it's a hard game, this just causes more frustration.

The only other complaint I have is that the roll move is now useless, not only do you have to shake the wiimote while already running but it tends to stop right in front of an enemy at the exact second it walks right into you.

For fans of classic difficult platformers though, highly recommend it. I almost want to buy it myself now actually.

totowhoa

Banned
There are only a few times per world where I think "GODDAMMIT ALL I WAGGLE-ROLL-JUMPED WHY DID I RUN INTO THE PIT?!?". That may sound like a lot, but it's not, given the number of times you're replaying some stages, and it is an ever-so-slight blemish on an otherwise amazing platformer. Only on world 5 now, but I think this game thus far is better than DKC, nostalgia not considered. Some things DKC2 did better, but this game has done a TON of things great.

Easily has some of the best 2D platformer level design in AGES.

AGES. Buy this, even if you hated DKC. It doesn't feel like the old ones at all, but it has the same vibe. Game is blowing me away. Some levels are HARD.

hatchx

Banned
Pachinko said:
The only other complaint I have is that the roll move is now useless, not only do you have to shake the wiimote while already running but it tends to stop right in front of an enemy at the exact second it walks right into you.

It's really just about timing it out. Try rolling to jump (and jumping at different parts of the roll), it's basically doing a long jump in Super Mario. Do these in a row and you can collect crazy speed. The roll can also kill a lot of enemies.

Just read (and watched) the IGN review.

I don't think IGN knows what a "remake" is.

Ocarina of Time 3DS = Remake

Donkey Kong Country Returns / NSMBWii = Not remakes

entremet

BertramCooper said:
Just read (and watched) the IGN review.

I don't think IGN knows what a "remake" is.

Ocarina of Time 3DS = Remake

Donkey Kong Country Returns / NSMBWii = Not remakes
Not surprising. It's IGN, after all.

LevityNYC

Banned
For my complaints about the bonus stages, I absolutely love this game.

What I dont understand is why Waggle was needed in the first place.

The DKC games for SNES has 2 button controls. Ground smash was down and run, and the spin was the run button.

Why the need to waggle?

LevityNYC said:
For my complaints about the bonus stages, I absolutely love this game.

What I dont understand is why Waggle was needed in the first place.

The DKC games for SNES has 2 button controls. Ground smash was down and run, and the spin was the run button.

Why the need to waggle?

Because the controller defines the system and they want you to use it in their major titles, you should know that by now.

Vizion28

Banned
I just finished World 1 and I must say this game is so far a perfect 10. I am having more fun with this game in World 1 than I had with NSWB Wii.

The level design is ingenious. The graphics are awesome. The challenge is good so far. There are many hidden secrets. The music is cool.

What more can I ask for?

Sgt.Pepper said:
Ooooooh, so KONG letters now count as collectives instead of just a mean to get more lives? Goddamn I want the game NOW!

Yup, and unlike Puzzle Pieces, you need to complete the level with them without dying (well, mostly--they are saved up to any checkpoints you trigger).

I have no idea why I thought this came out on Tuesday, but just went and picked it up from Best Buy, thanks for the heads up GAF! Got it for 38 bucks; Rewardzone $10 dollar certificate and 10% off coupon. What a great way to spend a Sunday!

I just got it this afternoon and I played through the first area. I like it but, it really didn't need waggle. Shaking to pound on the ground is alright but shaking to roll doesn't feel good at all. I really wish Nintendo would let us use the classic controller with their games. A sideways Wiimote will never be as good as a real controller for anything.

VAIL

Oni Link 666 said:
I just got it this afternoon and I played through the first area. I like it but, it really didn't need waggle. Shaking to pound on the ground is alright but shaking to roll doesn't feel good at all. I really wish Nintendo would let us use the classic controller with their games. A sideways Wiimote will never be as good as a real controller for anything.

It is a real controller.

Oni Link 666 said:

Use a nunchuk also, makes a huge difference

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
OH GOD THIS GAME IS SO GOOD.

That is all.

Edit: My main gripe is the shake to roll... Sometimes it's just a bit unresponsive, despite some intense shaking.

Playing through World 6 now and all I can say is wow. I will admit that when they announced Retro was doing Donkey Kong, I was excited but a little disappointed. I really wanted them to work on something larger, and although there was platforming in Metroid, it didn't seem to be their focus. But, I'm glad to say I was wrong in being initially disappointed and hopefully this will provide motivation for publishers to allow studios to work on a genre that they may not have complete experience with.

The level design in the game just keeps getting better and better. Sure, they are using the common staples of platformers: weighted platforms, swaying platforms, springy platforms, scrolling platforms. But it's really the way that they integrate those elements with the overall environments that really makes it stand out and feel fresh and new. The challenge is certainly there in worlds 5 and on, and I can't wait to see what's ahead.

I do still have my gripes with the forced control scheme and feel like the CC Pro would have added some accuracy that occasionally gets lost in a bad gesture or two, but that does not subtract from the creativity and energy you can feel coming from this game. It may not always feel like a DKC game, but it's hard to even ponder on that too long when you realize how much fun you're having.

Between this, NSMB Wii, Super Meat Boy, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Mirror's Edge, NyxQuest, and many others, this generation has been a fantastic treat for platformer fans. Well worth the 50 dollar entry fee, and it's not even over yet. :D

Hobbun

Well, I've played only the first two maps of the first world (1-1 and 1-2) and really enjoying it so far.

It scares me a bit how much the difficulty ramps up just from 1-1 to 1-2. Not that 1-2 is insanely difficult by any means, but just that the difference is a bit more than I expected.

To redbarchetta, good job on that time trial! I have nowhere near the mastery of the roll and jump yet together to hope to pull off what you did for that time trial (and if I do, it will take a ton of practice for me). I know these (the time trials) will be a major issue for me. The first stage looks difficult enough for me, I hate to think what the future stages will be like for the time trials. What do those give you, if anything? I mean do you get extra stages by finishing the time trials (and getting higher medals)? Do you need to get gold in all the stages to 100% the game? Or are they just personal trials to see how well you do and let you say "look what I did!" I hope it's the latter.

As for the motion controls, they are working well enough for me, but the issue I have is timing my rolls. Several times I've been in a roll and end up popping up right next to an enemy and taking a hit.

Salsa

So apparently im getting it tomorrow, wich is fuckin fast considering i live on the other end of the continent, i ussually have to wait more than a week after release to play these games. Friend bought it for me and its bringing it over (along with some other stuff).

Fuck.Yes.

Top Bottom