• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Sidzed2

Socreges said:
What is this? You're apparently responding to my post, but.... not responding to my post. You left out several points that I made. You're effectively responding to no one...?

Who ever said they were? Is there anyone here even arguing that the DKC trilogy is superior?

Gameplay-wise, I think Returns is probably the best game in the series.

I'm not saying this through a haze of nostalgia, but, honestly, DKC2 is an absolutely amazing game chock full of memorable enemies and music. It's no wonder DKCR can't live up to it.

This is not about saying which game(s) are better than any other, it's just the impression of certain people that a little bit of the 'essence' of the series has been lost with Returns. People can free to poo-poo the Rare titles, and the designs, but I disagree. I can still remember some of the baddies from those games like it was yesterday. I'll remember the bosses in Returns, but not for good reasons. "Oh yeah, there was that stack of three crabs and the horned-nose thing which charged back and forth". Just an opinion. Returns is still stellar to actually play.

Socreges

Banned
Cipherr said:
That sentence doesn't make any sense at all.
It doesn't need to make sense to have a purpose. I was demonstrating the confusion of his own post. I think that was obvious.

He used particular words that I used in my argument, ambiguously responding to what I've said... yet reconfigures the post in a different way and excludes other major points.

Socreges

Banned
Sidzed2 said:
Gameplay-wise, I think Returns is probably the best game in the series.

I'm not saying this through a haze of nostalgia, but, honestly, DKC2 is an absolutely amazing game chock full of memorable enemies and music. It's no wonder DKCR can't live up to it.

This is not about saying which game(s) are better than any other, it's just the impression of certain people that a little bit of the 'essence' of the series has been lost with Returns. People can free to poo-poo the Rare titles, and the designs, but I disagree. I can still remember some of the baddies from those games like it was yesterday. I'll remember the bosses in Returns, but not for good reasons. "Oh yeah, there was that stack of three crabs and the horned-nose thing which charged back and forth". Just an opinion. Returns is still stellar to actually play.
Man, when you use concepts like "essence", "memorable" and "remember like it was yesterday".... and without actually saying WHY... people are totally in the right to say that you're seeing everything through a haze of nostalgia.

The crab enemies were worthless, sure, but what about the mice and bees of DKC2? How were they any more impressive? Both games had their throw away designs.

Seriously guys.
This
gnawty.jpg

is not better than this

Mugly.png

And man, King K Rool is so cool, Rare was so creative when they desi.... oh
King-Koopa.jpg

Hiltz

My friend and I have been taking turns clearing levels to find the KONG letters to
unlock the secret level in each world to get the orbs
. We're currently halfway through the fourth world.

As far as the enemies go, I think my favorite is the stack of five little critters that yell when they topple over you.

SpokkX

Anyone really think the old games are better than this?! REALLY?

I suppose it is cool to like vintage but in this case it is no contest.

The old DMC games were cut and paste repetitive platformers with tacky design. The sheer variety in this just blows the old games away, every level is unique and the design is probably the most inventive in a 2d platformer since yoshis island

storl026

I started a level and had to walk away for a second, forgetting to pause. When I came back, Donkey Kong's idle animation was whipping out a DS and playing it. Purchase justified.

Jintor

Goddamn freaking World 4

I hope the game gets a lot better after that because seriously an entire world of minecart and rocket levels

Can we re title the thread:

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Waggle forced upon us again!

I've yet to find a single person who would agree with the following statement:

"The waggle controls are so amazing it justifies not including non-waggle options"

I especially hate the blowing mechanism. Look, there a giant unused A button. Why can't we use that?

AniHawk

Brashnir said:
The level select screens are one of my favorite parts of this and NSMBW. I have grown tired of platformers with overwrought hub worlds that do nothing but serve to delay the time until I can start the next level.

No, I mean that it's actually NSMBW's actual map design except with DK characters arrows. I love that it doesn't have a hub world, but sorry the identity for the level select is in another video game.

Nabs

patrickthehedgehog said:
I'd pay twice as much for this game if they put it out without the motion control.
adding the homebrew channel is free and will give you CC support.

Sidzed2

Socreges said:
Man, when you use concepts like "essence", "memorable" and "remember like it was yesterday".... and without actually saying WHY... people are totally in the right to say that you're seeing everything through a haze of nostalgia.

The crab enemies were worthless, sure, but what about the mice and bees of DKC2? How were they any more impressive? Both games had their throw away designs.

No, I'm sorry, but I played DKC2 last year and the designs hold up. It's not nostalgia talking and people are flat out wrong if they're trying to suggest my vision is clouded on the matter.

The words like 'essence', 'memorable', etc, connote that I am stating my OPINION. I think that's what is confusing you. I can't explain why the enemies of DKC2 were more 'memorable' to me. They simply are. You may disagree, and that's valid. It just leads me to form another opinion as to your taste.

The hornet, vulture, kremling, puffer fish, etc of the SNES games are, quite simply, better designs to my eye. That's all I can offer you, I'm afraid. In my view, Retro's designers have let them down vis-a-vis the enemies.

Oh, and to the person who posted a picture of the silly beaver enemy from DKC1, well there you go, that's one of the few Rare-designed enemies which is as lame as the tikis. Try posting a picture of any of the dozens of great designs, particularly from DKC2, and contrast that against the best that Returns has to offer.

Aaaanyway, I hate being forced to defend my minor criticisms of what is an absolutely terrific game, and easily one of the year's best. It makes me seem like i'm somehow not a fan of the game, which is just not true.

flak57

Sidzed2 said:
No, I'm sorry, but I played DKC2 last year and the designs hold up. It's not nostalgia talking and people are flat out wrong if they're trying to suggest my vision is clouded on the matter.

The words like 'essence', 'memorable', etc, connote that I am stating my OPINION. I think that's what is confusing you. I can't explain why the enemies of DKC2 were more 'memorable' to me. They simply are. You may disagree, and that's valid. It just leads me to form another opinion as to your taste.

The hornet, vulture, kremling, puffer fish, etc of the SNES games are, quite simply, better designs to my eye. That's all I can offer you, I'm afraid. In my view, Retro's designers have let them down vis-a-vis the enemies.

Oh, and to the person who posted a picture of the silly beaver enemy from DKC1, well there you go, that's one of the few Rare-designed enemies which is as lame as the tikis. Try posting a picture of any of the dozens of great designs, particularly from DKC2, and contrast that against the best that Returns has to offer.

Aaaanyway, I hate being forced to defend my minor criticisms of what is an absolutely terrific game, and easily one of the year's best. It makes me seem like i'm somehow not a fan of the game, which is just not true.
They're not for everyone, but they have a distinct style and I like them.
2yl6zo7.jpg

jamesinclair said:
Can we re title the thread:

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Waggle forced upon us again!

I've yet to find a single person who would agree with the following statement:

"The waggle controls are so amazing it justifies not including non-waggle options"

I especially hate the blowing mechanism. Look, there a giant unused A button. Why can't we use that?

I thought I'd really hate shaking to roll, but I'm actually surprised at how much I like it! Sure having a button to roll as an option would've been great, but I think its fine how it is.

The only thing I don't really like is having to constantly use it for speed runs...and the blowing hate completely baffles me. It's not exactly necessary and I think it's awesome! :D

Mael

Well I'm in Wrold 5, so far DKCR is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles ahead of any other DK game I've played.
It's less fun than nsmbw, but then again it doesn't have walljump :/

The use of diddy is kinda lame, I mean I usually dislike the way he's just a delaying fall powerup (I found flying powerup lame in my platformers).
The level design is some crazy shit I didn't expect, it's really fantastic.
I kept hearing how everything was great and all, and man it didn't disappoint.

the game is also ruthless, thank god for the 1up it keep throwing at me :lol
I didn't see the super guide once in nsmbw, and well from I think I see it in this game every 2 levels I think.

The music would have been better if it was more original, because since it's not as good I can't help but hear what the music actually was in the original games (like the bonus level music for example).

Did I mention that the game is fucking beautiful? I mean that's really the kind of visual one would expect from that game, it's fitting and awesome.

The foes are a bit on the lame side, while the kremlings in dkc2 was really good the rest was really bad or average so yeah it's kind of a draw here between the old vs new.

And the opening sequence is really good too
the mask use its power and it doesn't work on DK....then massige punch in the face

And the design....a game that reward experimentation? That's how I like my Nintendo games!

Oh and wiimote on the side for me, I'm having trouble with consecutive jumps (after you jump on a foe) but otherwise it's as good as ever.

GOTY 2010 contender for me. Certainly Wii GOTY

Suzzopher

You can put me down as someone who didn't really enjoy the original series. I was 14 and totally in love with Nintendo at the time and still didn't enjoy DKC. Part of that was due to the level designs being so dull compared to Nintendo platformers, the enemy design was just weird and looked out of place in the Nintendo universe. I loved the soundtrack though. This game fixes all my issues with the original and then remixes the amazing soundtrack.

MYE

Kaijima said:
The presentation argument does seem a bit blinded by sheer nostalgia to me. I've /got/ DKC 1 - 3 right here to turn 'em on and play 'em. Badly modeled early 90's CGI environments, check. Map screens that are "moody" I guess because the contrast is so dark and everything has that trademark Rare "shiny metal Reboot CG" look, well, I guess you can interpret that as being "serious" and not "cartoony".

Someone needs to do a quick photoshop of the map screen in DKCR, turn the brightness way down, pixilate it, and see if it looks mature and moody like an SNES game again :p

36deF.jpg

UVabx.jpg

MOODY!!!

Been playing this on the weekend. I like the game so far (I'm on area 3), but I'm just not getting that awesome feeling I got from the first. I also prefer the music that has been left out of the originals, and so far, none of the new music has stuck in my head.

I'm really hoping there is a snow level similar to what we had in Snow Barrel Blast. Who could forget the snow getting thicker and thicker with the great music that came with that?

Chuckie

Sidzed2 said:
Thank you - that image is terrific. Count it as among the few times Rare's 'style' has impressed me.

They impressed me too and I do miss K.Rool.

However I also like the enemies in returns (mind you... not all) The sharks are f*cking awesome, so are the frogs and those really moody birds.

The crabs suck though.

Edit: Funny story; Yesterday I died about fifty times in 5-1. I couldn't get the hang of the vine swinging. Jump press Z at exactly the right moment....always dying at the last damn vine of the level...

.... untill I found out you can already press the button and hold it... and then DK just grabs when he's close. God that knowledge could have saved me a lot of frustation.

I'm in the lava world. Is it the last? ;( (I still have to get all the Kongs..this won't be easy! ;D) This game is so hard and unforgiving, it's awesome. It's got that 90s attitude that's kind of missing in most games today. The environments and levels are super inventive!

DieNgamers said:
I'm in the lava world. Is it the last? ;( (I still have to get all the Kongs..this won't be easy! ;D) This game is so hard and unforgiving, it's awesome.

You think its hard and unforgiving now? Hehe...just you wait until you get to some of the K stages! Some of them are completely relentless. Good luck!

I'm starting to like this more now (getting towards the end of World 5). There are still far too many trial and error sections and those which would have benefitted from a superior control system (the fucking rocket...) but ultimately I'm either coming to terms with its trickery or World 5 is exponentially easier than anything since the first (which is what I suspect). Good game, excellent in many respects, starting to edge closer to an 8 out 10 on my scale. Anything higher seems unlikely due to the amount of shoddy, unfair trial and error design.

Chuckie

TheDrowningMan said:
..or World 5 is exponentially easier than anything since the first (which is what I suspect).

Hell no... it's hard (for me... see previous post on 'swinging vines') :lol

World 3 was easiest for me so far.

_Alkaline_ said:
Too much hate for something so lovely.
i hate to say it man but 'welcome to gaf'. having the biggest issue being that you need to shake a controller now and again in a donkey kong game is going to make people act like someone hit their mom each time they had to ground pound

when in truth it is a really excellent game with a few things for people to gripe about

AniHawk

Just got through World 6. World 5 was good, but 6 was even better. And I'm not digging the mine cart in this game, but the level with the egg was awesome.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
flak57 said:
They're not for everyone, but they have a distinct style and I like them.
2yl6zo7.jpg

Pirate Kremlins were the best though, and Rare shit all over their own work with DKC3.

For me personally, the whole Monkeys Vs. Pirates thing was where I would have liked DKC to sit. It gave the Kremlins a much more cohesive and interesting design, and was a nice villainous parallel to the Apes.

Mael

EatChildren said:
Pirate Kremlins were the best though, and Rare shit all over their own work with DKC3.

For me personally, the whole Monkeys Vs. Pirates thing was where I would have liked DKC to sit. It gave the Kremlins a much more cohesive and interesting design, and was a nice villainous parallel to the Apes.

really this.

Heck the Kremlins in DKC1 were on the bland side of things and DKC3....ugh, from the music to general design it's a disaster next to DKC2.

I'd put DCKR on par with DKC or DK64 so far, miles ahead of the horrors of DKC3 but miles below the fantastic kremlings from DKC2.
Then again if you think about it all makes sense :
DKC 1 ends on ships, which design is reused as a starting point in DKC2
DKC2 ends with a more machina feels to it which is used as a starting point for DKC3.

I got nothing for DKC3->DK64 though

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Which DK games were released for Gameboy? I played so much of them as a kid.

AniHawk

Rez said:
Which DK games were released for Gameboy? I played so much of them as a kid.

Donkey Kong '94 and Land 1-3.

The Land trilogy was my only exposure to Rare's 2D Donkey Kong games until 2007-2008 when I finally played the first two DKCs.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, that's right. I know I played DK, and probably played two of the three Lands.

My only non-Gameboy exposure to the DK platformers was DK64 (one of my first 64 games, so naturally I loved it and have never had the guts to go back and try it again), the DKC games and Jungle Beat totally passed me by. Maybe that's why Returns is such a mini-revelation for me.

flak57

Mael said:
really this.

Heck the Kremlins in DKC1 were on the bland side of things and DKC3....ugh, from the music to general design it's a disaster next to DKC2.

I'd put DCKR on par with DKC or DK64 so far, miles ahead of the horrors of DKC3 but miles below the fantastic kremlings from DKC2.
Then again if you think about it all makes sense :
DKC 1 ends on ships, which design is reused as a starting point in DKC2
DKC2 ends with a more machina feels to it which is used as a starting point for DKC3.

I got nothing for DKC3->DK64 though
I'd wager a few key members were working on the N64 during 3's development (aside from the obvious Wise).

Mael

flak57 said:
I'd wager a few key members were working on the N64 during 3's development (aside from the obvious Wise).

I was more talking about the coherence in design though, I wouldn't be surprised if the staff remained the same.

Oh and the only boss I remember from DKC serie on Snes is the guy with the kickass sword from the swamp and even then his design is better than his fight.

Rez, I strongly recommend the wii version of Jungle Beat if you've never played the game before. Very vibrant, very fun, very visceral.

And that Kremlings pirate picture is still a plethora of disgusting character design. It reeks of budget European animation, which I guess makes sense considering it was all Rare's British handiwork.

1GabUp

Hiltz said:
As far as the enemies go, I think my favorite is the stack of five little critters that yell when they topple over you.

:lol so true! I couldn't stop laughing first time I saw them!

Top Bottom