• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Jintor

1GabUp said:
:lol so true! I couldn't stop laughing first time I saw them!

I couldn't stop screaming. In frustration. I lost like 10 lives trying to kill the bastards before I realised you had to let 'em fall over.

r - b - x said:
nice. was looking for a wallpaper for my laptop and this'll do very nicely.
any more where that came from?

Glad that a couple people like it! I didn't make any more, but if you want a different resolution or a different part of the picture cropped, I'd be happy to.

Nicktals said:
Ugh, seriously. And later in the game there's a big statue of him. And I was just sure he was going to make a triumphant return...But no. I really respect how often some awesome stuff really only appears once. But the bosses...not the best. At least I didn't have too much trouble with any of them.

Was that in World 6? I thought I saw a rock formation that looked like Squiddicus.

1GabUp

Jintor said:
I couldn't stop screaming. In frustration. I lost like 10 lives trying to kill the bastards before I realised you had to let 'em fall over.

:lol Come on man, what were you trying? It's rapidly evident that you can't jump on them or roll them over. :lol

agrajag

Banned
Sidzed2 said:
Thank you - that image is terrific. Count it as among the few times Rare's 'style' has impressed me.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like Rare's designs were gloomy or moody or anything, it's all an illusion because of the contrast ratio. :lol

donkey-kong-country-2-diddy-kongs-quest-20041007112516402_640w.jpg

donkey-kong-country-2-diddy-kongs-quest-20041007112518902_640w.jpg

donkey-kong-country-2-diddy-kongs-quest-20041007112522245_640w.jpg

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Seriously guys.
This

is not better than this
You're picking the worst of Rare's design and probably the best of Retro's.

I like a lot of Retro has done, but there is something missing. The weirdness, cheesiness, playfulness.
That image you posted is one example of awesome, but on the whole it is missing in the game.

Brashnir

confuziz said:
Oh look it's GAF and they are bitching about a near perfect game.

what a surprise.

Near perfect means there's still something left to bitch about.

When GAF starts bitching about a perfect game, your point will be valid.

Mael

Buckethead said:

I like a lot of Retro has done, but there is something missing. The weirdness, cheesiness, playfulness.
That image you posted is one example of awesome, but on the whole it is missing in the game.

Wait he posted a design from Metroid in a DK thread?
and really the art in DKC3 is all kind of wrong, it's even more horrible than the worst thing seen in DK64 and that one had some weird stuffs in it

agrajag

Banned
Gram Negative Cocci said:
Rez, I strongly recommend the wii version of Jungle Beat if you've never played the game before. Very vibrant, very fun, very visceral.

And that Kremlings pirate picture is still a plethora of disgusting character design. It reeks of budget European animation, which I guess makes sense considering it was all Rare's British handiwork.

I hate you.

Mael said:
I was more talking about the coherence in design though, I wouldn't be surprised if the staff remained the same.

Oh and the only boss I remember from DKC serie on Snes is the guy with the kickass sword from the swamp and even then his design is better than his fight.

I think you're either getting two bosses mixed up, or you're mashing together the two. The Crocodile Calderon boss is kickass skeleton sword, the boss of Krem Quay
the swamp world
is a kremling wielding a large spiked covered club.

agrajag

Banned
Mael said:
Wait he posted a design from Metroid in a DK thread?
and really the art in DKC3 is all kind of wrong, it's even more horrible than the worst thing seen in DK64 and that one had some weird stuffs in it

DKC3 art sucks, no doubt. It was a different team than the one that made the first two games.

SpokkX

Anyone not infected by nostalgia sees the rare designs for what they are

That is : something that would play earlyin the day on cartoon channel.

Retro designs on the other hand feel like movie quality animation.

There are always people who love crap they grew up on. I bet some people also think Alex kid has better design than Mario.

agrajag said:
DKC3 art sucks, no doubt. It was a different team than the one that made the first two games.

Actually, DKC2 and DKC3 were done by the same team.
They also made DK64
The team who made the first DKC would go on working on a project that ended up as Banjo-Kazooie right after completing DKC.

Mael

Chet Rippo said:
I think you're either getting two bosses mixed up, or you're mashing together the two. The Crocodile Calderon boss is kickass skeleton sword, the boss of Krem Quay
the swamp world
is a kremling wielding a large spiked covered club.

Yep I was referring to the second one, I feel like it would be awesome to have a cross between the 2 though...

That explains so much....
And I stand by my statement, DKCR doesn't have designs of the level of MP2:E, that thing is freaking awesome printed on disc as far as design goes.

KAL2006

Banned
The next game should be Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong Returns
-No waggle controls
-Diddy, Donkey, and Dixie Kong. (each character has one life, so 3 health total, instead of 4 like DKCR)
-Can play as all the characters, and each character is unique (Dixie can hover, Diddy is fast, DK can pound)
-Return of Kremlins
-More Vertical stages
-More animal friends to ride on (frog, parrot, swordfish and etc)
-Return of water levels
-Better original music (though some DKC2 remixes would also be great)
-Secret world which has remakes of of some memorable old stages from the original DKC Trilogy

Chuckie

KAL2006 said:
-No waggle controls
-Diddy, Donkey, and Dixie Kong. (each character has one life, so 3 health total, instead of 4 like DKCR)
-Can play as all the characters, and each character is unique (Dixie can hover, Diddy is fast, DK can pound)
-Return of Kremlins
-More Vertical stages
-Return of water levels
-Secret world which has remakes of of some memorable old stages from the original DKC Trilogy

I like most of your ideas, but the title of your game is horrible :lol

a. There already is a Donkey Kong Country 2
b. Diddy Kong already returned in DKCR

Maffis

jamesinclair said:
Ive only done the first one, but found it incredibly easy.

Must have been all those hours playing "fly the copter" online. Exact same play mechanic

First one was incredibly easy. Not this one.

Tence said:
I like most of your ideas, but the title of your game is horrible :lol

a. There already is a Donkey Kong Country 2
b. Diddy Kong already returned in DKCR

The sequel should be titled Donkey Kong Country Forever. :lol

1GabUp

Chet Rippo said:
The sequel should be titled Donkey Kong Country Forever. :lol
I would prefer personally "We Love Donkey Kong Country" for the sequel and then your idea for the third. :lol

BikoBiko

Suzzopher said:
Nintendo just sent me an email asking me to fill out a survey on this game. Never had one of these for a game before.
They've done this a few times before. I've filled out surveys for Other M and Galaxy 2 to name a few, in exchange for 50 extra stars.

Vanille

SpokkX said:
Anyone really think the old games are better than this?! REALLY?

I suppose it is cool to like vintage but in this case it is no contest.

The old DMC games were cut and paste repetitive platformers with tacky design. The sheer variety in this just blows the old games away, every level is unique and the design is probably the most inventive in a 2d platformer since yoshis island

People really don't give Rare's level design enough credit. In terms of variety, DKC2 is pretty much on equal footing with Returns.

apana

1GabUp said:
I would prefer personally "We Love Donkey Kong Country" for the sequel and then your idea for the third. :lol

Well I'm still sticking with Donkey Kong Country Re-Returns

Ranger X

So are the Kong levels getting harder the more you advance in the game? I am getting my ass handed on a golden plate at the second one already.

*cries*

Ranger X said:
So are the Kong levels getting harder the more you advance in the game? I am getting my ass handed on a golden plate at the second one already.

*cries*
World 2?

Yes it does get progressively harder, I didn't find it that it got difficult until World 7 but that's because I was a greedy mf'er trying to get all the KONGs and puzzle pieces.

agrajag

Banned
Chet Rippo said:
They also made DK64
The team who made the first DKC would go on working on a project that ended up as Banjo-Kazooie right after completing DKC.

DKC:
Designer(s)
Gregg Mayles

Artist(s)
Steve Mayles
Kevin Bayliss

DKC2:

Designer(s)
Gregg Mayles
Andrew Collard

Artist(s)
Steve Mayles
Mark Stevenson

DKC3:

Designer(s)
Andrew Collard
Paul Weaver

Artist(s)
Mark Stevenson
Neil Crook

Seems like all three games had a "passing the torch" kind of set up in regards to art and design.

Ranger X

Buckethead said:
World 2?

Yes it does get progressively harder, I didn't find it that it got difficult until World 7 but that's because I was a greedy mf'er trying to get all the KONGs and puzzle pieces.

I mean the special levels you unlock when you get all the K.O.N.G. letters in every levels.
I died like 40 times in the first world's K level and then I tried the second world's K level and it's even harder!! I swear I might not have the patience to finish them all, especially if it gets even harder.
I already gave up on having gold times in time trials -- this game is hardcore if you want to complete it 100% + best times.

agrajag

Banned
flak57 said:

junky and soul-less compared to the first two. Not to mention the characters and enemies were ugly as hell. Instead of Diddy/Donkey we get Kiddy. Instead of Rambi we get a retarded elephant. Fuck.

flak57

agrajag said:
junky and soul-less compared to the first two. Not to mention the characters and enemies were ugly as hell. Instead of Diddy/Donkey we get Kiddy. Instead of Rambi we get a retarded elephant. Fuck.
I did hate that fucking elephant, and the poorer music makes a big difference in the feel of the levels. I still liked the atmosphere that was created though.

agrajag

Banned
Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad looking game by any means, and it has a nice level design and gameplay, on par with the other games in the series. But the music and character design were a major disappointment for me when the game came out.

I just found the last orbs and did the golden temple.
I'm... not sure what happend there, though. It's like DK was eating a banana-shroom, got high and imagined he's jumping over bananas, strawberries and exploding cherries? Weird stuff.
I don't think I'll do the mirror mode any time soon, but I'm sure I'll come back to this some time in the future.

As for the game itself, I think DKC:R is an excellent platformer and a worthy continuation of the franchise, that still leaves something to be desired. A DKC:R 2 could be absolutely outstanding if Retro/Nintendo goes for a more popping presentation and reassess what should and what shouldn't be done with motion controls. Hope it doesn't take them forever to get a sequel out.

Just completed special stage 1. HOLY FUCKING SHIT! :lol
Thanks for proving that godlike platformers are still possible at this day and age. Better take notes Mario team.

jett said:
The enemies in DKCR are frankly pretty crap and unmemorable. I prefer the kremlins.
I too would prefer kremlins in DKCR, but frankly Russia's involvement in DKC games might be asking me to stretch my logic a little thin and would probably force a geopolitical story in to the game which could backfire.

Chet Rippo said:
They also made DK64

Actually I'm pretty sure that it was the DKC 2 team who went to work on Project Dream.

Edit: Aha! from Rare Witch Project http://www.therwp.com/wiki/Project_Dream

Project Dream, a game about a boy named Edison who battles a gang of pirates led by Captain Blackeye, began development on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, by the Donkey Kong Country team, directly after the completion of DKC2.

KAL2006 said:
-No waggle controls
-Return of Kremlins
-More Vertical stages
-Return of water levels

Now your speaking my language.

I would also say I would like to see more of a clay animation look rather than the cartoony whackyness in DKCR which to me looks more like an Earthworm Jim game instead of a DK game.

MYE said:
The Kremlins will be back on the next game. You guys know they will.

Not if Retro is making it. Fans begged Retro to include Kraid and Mother Brain in future Metroid titles and were DENIED. All metroid fans got was Ridley (hurrr) and some remixed music :(

daakusedo

Now that I have the game, I'm surprised when I read things like losing 30-40 ballons, for me that's on par with the old games, maybe a little bit more difficult.
And speaking about shaking roll and bad accuracy when it works every time, surprised again.
And I love the fact that I find for now, all the puzzle pieces when you have to fall, by accident, lucky.

schennmu said:
Just completed special stage 1. HOLY FUCKING SHIT! :lol
Thanks for proving that godlike platformers are still possible at this day and age. Better take notes Mario team.
? NSMBWii is an excellent platformer, as far as level design goes; They need to take notes in presentation and graphics.

Buckethead said:

I could do this all day dude

this
134px-D.Drum.jpg

is not better than
birdboss.jpg

this
kremzv3.png

is not better than
310px-Tiki_try_Hypno_DK.jpg

Before someone tries to say DKC2 is better as an artistic endeavor, its just as ugly, sorry dude. The only rare game that I felt looked pleasing are the Viva Pinata games, and thats still very hit and miss.

Top Bottom