• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Hiltz

My hands are sore from playing the second or third level in the Cliff world countless times. I can get up right up to the "G" letter in KONG but then I always screw up with the timing. It's due to the platforms you stand on immediately collapsing beneath you. In the meantime, you have to jump on top of a specific enemy's head to snatch the letter and then run like hell to get off the falling platforms. That part of the level is unforgiving.I managed to get past it once, but then jumped too early when the second stone platform slammed against the third one, causing it to swing out to the right side.

World 5's secret level is the hardest one for me so far.

Sgt.Pepper said:
? NSMBWii is an excellent platformer, as far as level design goes; They need to take notes in presentation and graphics.

I haven't finished NSMB, stopped playing during the shitty water levels. Also controls my friend... controls. NSMB is too floaty while DKR is super smooth and precise. Waggle is stupid in both games I guess.

Also fuck the Kremlins. Nostalgia does not turn bad art into good art!

agrajag

Banned
Gram Negative Cocci said:
kremzv3.png

is not better than
310px-Tiki_try_Hypno_DK.jpg

Yes it is, you just happen to have a shitty ass taste.

agrajag

Banned
daakusedo said:
Now that I have the game, I'm surprised when I read things like losing 30-40 ballons, for me that's on par with the old games, maybe a little bit more difficult.
And speaking about shaking roll and bad accuracy when it works every time, surprised again.
And I love the fact that I find for now, all the puzzle pieces when you have to fall, by accident, lucky.

Sometimes I forget that you need to do a rather forceful shake to activate the roll, so I make a really small motion and it doesn't work. Can't really say that's the game's fault, but for me that's an annoying mechanic.

Even as a kind I thought that the DKC enemy design was bad. Seeing it today is just painful and it's funny to see that people actually miss dat shit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Emonga said:
What is there to like, really? They're just... objects with eyes.
Nice simple designs that feel good to jump on or pummel after a boss fight.

In mean they're probably completely interchangable, I just don't feel all that strongly one way or the other.

agrajag

Banned
I enjoy the wind-up chickens in the factory world. Overall, I'd say that the "generic" animal enemies have a lot more character than the Tikis in DKCR.

Or I'm not physically attracted to anthromorphic crocodiles, nipples and all.

Rare fans are all croco-sexuals, you heard it here first folks.

What's the trick to doing large combos on a tiki following a boss battle? It seems like you often can only do one hit but one time I had a massive combo going. Does it do anything special?

agrajag

Banned
Squall ASF said:
What's the trick to doing large combos on a tiki following a boss battle? It seems like you often can only do one hit but one time I had a massive combo going. Does it do anything special?

Your problem is that you either start shaking too early or too late. And doing combos as opposed to one hits does absolutely nothing, afaik.

schennmu said:
Even as a kind I thought that the DKC enemy design was bad. Seeing it today is just painful and it's funny to see that people actually miss dat shit.
I've always felt more that way about the Mario Bros series tbh. Goombas, Paratroopas, Lakitus etc. aren't particularly interesting and a bit too basic as far as design goes, though they did manage to imbue them with interesting personalities in the Paper RPGs (Kooper, Goombario etc.). That's more thanks to the writing than to the actual designs though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Squall ASF said:
You have to wait to shake. Don't do it straight away, wait for the prompt.

Conker had the best art direction of all Rare games. I love Rare's characters! <3 But now I have to play that first secret world :D It's not that hard so far but there aren't any checkpoints, right? I'm getting more nervous the further I get in the level. That's when I usually screw up. :lol

agrajag said:
Rare fans are all croco-sexuals, you heard it here first folks.

I mean, I could see if you and other rare apologists were somehow aroused by the muscular alligator men, I couldn't blame you for your urges. But aesthetically, they are based on a generic premise ripped out of Mario (reptilian army), and then made atrocious with googly eyes, nipples, random pieces of clothing, and MUSCLES. I was drawing this type of shit when I was 8, but that shit don't fly now.

182318-300px_kingkrool_large.jpg

"Kill me now, I'm an atrocity, nay, an abortion of character design"

agrajag said:
Another reason DKC wins: it had Manky Kongs, the "Kong reject orangutans" that threw barrels at you.
Lanky Kong is a Manky Kong on the path to redemption.

I want an adventure game based on this premise. It could be Nintendo's Deus Ex.

Gilby

I mean, I could see if you and other rare apologists were somehow aroused by the muscular alligator men, I couldn't blame you for your urges. But aesthetically, they are based on a generic premise ripped out of Mario (reptilian army), and then made atrocious with googly eyes, nipples, random pieces of clothing, and MUSCLES. I was drawing this type of shit when I was 8, but that shit don't fly now.

Thank you for being one of the few sane people here. The designs annoyed me as a child too. "Googlier! Make the eyes googlier!" "Give this guy a tank-top!"

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Gilby said:
Thank you for being one of the few sane people here. The designs annoyed me as a child too. "Googlier! Make the eyes googlier!" "Give this guy a tank-top!"

The shiny, plasticky mid 90s CG look doesn't help either.

flak57

schennmu said:

You guys are aware that Donkey Kong himself is a generic gorilla, right? (Well, more likely a rip of King Kong) And that Link is a generic elf? That some of the most common enemies in the 2D mario games are generic looking turtles with googly eyes?

Do you think if someone saw a picture of Mario for the first time they would consider him excellent character design?
eq1i02.jpg

They would think he looks ridiculous.

These characters are defined by the user's experience with them, most likely in the games they are featured in.

Many people like the absurdity of the DKC character's appearances. They are oozing with character and have their own distinct style, just like the ridiculous looking plumber above.

StevieP

Banned
flak57 said:
You guys are aware that Donkey Kong himself is a generic gorilla, right? (Well, more likely a rip of King Kong) And that Link is a generic elf? That some of the most common enemies in the 2D mario games are generic looking turtles with googly eyes?

Do you think if someone saw a picture of Mario for the first time they would consider him excellent character design?
eq1i02.jpg

They would thing he looks ridiculous.

These characters are defined by the user's experience with them, most likely in the games they are featured in.

Many people like the absurdity of the DKC character's appearances. They are oozing with character and have their own distinct style.

They are also legitimately awful designs. Playing the Mario Galaxy games, enemies both new and old all had solid design. I don't think there's any possible way to make some of the kremlins look ... anything other than awful, art-wise. KRool included.

.la1n

Wow I never realised how bad rare's art really is until I read the last few pages of this thread. Killer Instinct not withstanding since I think it still had a few glimmers of hope.

StevieP said:
They are also legitimately awful designs. Playing the Mario Galaxy games, enemies both new and old all had solid design. I don't think there's any possible way to make some of the kremlins look ... anything other than awful, art-wise. KRool included.
Nothing beats the Piantas though. Atrocities is the word.

flak57

StevieP said:
They are oozing with a distinct personality and style, as I just said. And it is a style that many like.

StevieP

Banned
Vanille said:
I think people are forgetting that the Kremlings were supposed to look kinda goofy. It gave them more character.

Aborted battletoads with googly eyes would be how I describe them. But to each their own, I guess.

agrajag

Banned

I know I already said this, but I hate you.

agrajag

Banned
Vanille said:
I think people are forgetting that the Kremlings were supposed to look kinda goofy. It gave them more character.

Of course they were supposed to look goofy.

380555-kaptain_k._rool_super.jpg

is better than all the tikis combined.

Well, I don't hate you, but you are obviously afflicted with nostalgiatard syndrome. Kremlings are pretty much based on the European school of ugly this abomination was crafted upon
crazyfrog2_3.jpg

StevieP said:
Aborted battletoads with googly eyes would be how I describe them. But to each their own, I guess.
The tikis are pieces of wood with googly eyes. If Retro aped Rare in anything for DKCR it has to at least be enemy design.

StevieP

Banned
Emonga said:
The tikis are pieces of wood with googly eyes. If Retro aped Rare in anything for DKCR it has to at least be enemy design.

I didn't say that the DKCR antagonist was a marvel of design. I just said the kremlings are a particularly good omission because they were artisticly crap.

*looks at musket-wielding fat-muscular croc with cape*
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. That's not personality, in my eyes, that's... yech.

TBH the only really innovative enemy design in DKCR were the chickens, and they felt like they came from Earthworm Jim.

The frogs were really cute though.

agrajag

Banned
People like you are the reason new cartoons suck. Instead of interesting and detailed characters, kids are forced to watch abstract, stylized bullshit.

StevieP

Banned
agrajag said:
People like you are the reason new cartoons suck. Instead of interesting and detailed characters, kids are forced to watch abstract, stylized bullshit.

No, CG is why new cartoons suck.

Top Bottom