• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

[Nintex] said:
14xnm12.jpg

Perfection

Eww what have you done with Retro's awesome work. You've soiled it.

People like you are the reason new cartoons suck. Instead of interesting and detailed characters, kids are forced to watch abstract, stylized bullshit.

Yup, nostalgia crazy confirmed. Outside of what Warner Brothers Animation was doing, cartoons in the 80's and 90's were objectively terrible for the most part.

I liked the non-Tiki enemies in DKCR. The Tikis themselves, though, meh. I'd definitely take Kremlings over them. I thought the pirate theme in DKC2 suited them really well, and they have a more interesting dichotomy with the apes.

flak57

Look people, we don't look at a picture of a kremling and go.... my god... it's beautiful... the detailed textures of their skin... the majestic brilliance of K Rools pirate hat... this is truly art...

It's just fucking awesome because they look like batshit insane crocodiles in pirates clothing, stealing your fucking bananas just because they do that shit. Simple as that.

agrajag

Banned
Green Mamba said:
I liked the non-Tiki enemies in DKCR. The Tikis themselves, though, meh. I'd definitely take Kremlings over them. I thought the pirate theme in DKC2 suited them really well, and they have a more interesting dichotomy with the apes.

Perfect post. +1

flak57 said:
Look people, we don't look at a picture of a kremling and go.... my god... it's beautiful... the detailed textures of their skin... the majestic brilliance of K Rools pirate hat... this is truly art...

It's just fucking awesome because they look like batshit insane crocodiles in pirates clothing, stealing your fucking bananas just because they do that shit. Simple as that.

Another perfect post. This game never even gave any indication as to who the Tikis are and why anyone should even give a fuck about them.

Rich!

flak57 said:

Absolutely.

The Tiki's have no fucking character. Boring as shit. The Kremlings were ridiculous, and that's why I loved them.

EVH said:
Just noticed that tikis are all based on musical instruments.

I know right? It's a nice consistent motif that fits into their hypnotic abilities. The shape and size of the regular tikis make them fit into level design as impromptu platforms. Character design that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing! Unlike, the kremlings.

310px-Tiki_try_Hypno_DK.jpg

JOIN US, stop resisting, Rare won't hurt you anymore.

agrajag

Banned
Gram Negative Cocci said:
I know right? It's a nice consistent motif that fits into their hypnotic abilities. The shape and size of the regular tikis make them fit into level design as impromptu platforms. Character design that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing! Unlike, the kremlings.

310px-Tiki_try_Hypno_DK.jpg

JOIN US, stop resisting, Rare won't hurt you anymore.

How much is Retro paying you to make these absurd posts? Not even people who hate the Kremlins even admit to liking Tikis. You just have to be a plant.

Rich!

agrajag said:
How much is Retro paying you to make these absurd posts? Not even people who hate the Kremlins even admit to liking Tikis. You just have to be a plant.

A plant would make sense, seeing as the only thing as boring as the Tiki designs would be a plant of some sort.

Maybe a daffodil.

[Nintex] said:
3466l1y.jpg

OH GOD MAKE IT STOP

Now put a PED suit on it.

ow much is Retro paying you to make these absurd posts? Not even people who hate the Kremlins even admit to liking Tikis. You just have to be a plant
:lol I wish I worked for Retro. And yes I hate the kremlings and was glad to see the new enemy roster. Deal with it, your childhood ain't coming back :lol

flak57

agrajag said:
Another perfect post. This game never even gave any indication as to who the Tikis are and why anyone should even give a fuck about them.
Sadly I won't be able to judge that until Dec 25th.

Buckethead said:
Gram are you under 18? Just asking.

24. Do you often think of your childhood and its associated facets as 'good ol days'?. This is a problem that comes up a lot in these franchise revivals, where as people aren't willing to admit they are succumbing to nostalgia.

Rich!

24. Do you often think of your childhood and its associated facets as 'good ol days'?. This is a problem that comes up a lot in these franchise revivals, where as people aren't willing to admit they are succumbing to nostalgia.

Just asked one of my mates (through school, he was 100% megadrive/SEGA only) who I introduced to DKC2 for the first time ever last month, who is now playing through DKCR together with me.

He prefers the Kremlings. No nostalgia to fall back on there!

[Nintex] said:
you guys asked for it
znx46f.jpg

Rare would be proud.

richisawesome said:
Just asked one of my mates (through school, he was 100% megadrive/SEGA only) who I introduced to DKC2 for the first time ever last month, who is now playing through DKCR together with me.

He prefers the Kremlings. No nostalgia to fall back on there!

Birds of a feather...

Sidzed2

Methinks some people here have an axe to grind against Rare. Maybe some hurt feelings are involved.

I wonder if the Kremling characters are owned by Rare, thus preventing their use in DKCR? Hmmm.

udivision

ITT we pretend that character designs in these kinds of games actually matter!

Seriously, go back to making fun of Beltan Zipper or Bald Space Marines, GAF. Your "This cartoon character is better designed than yours" discussion is less entertaining, although it's indeed fresher.

Sidzed2 said:
Methinks some people here have an axe to grind against Rare. Maybe some hurt feelings are involved.

I wonder if the Kremling characters are owned by Rare, thus preventing their use in DKCR? Hmmm.
Kremlings have been used in several non-Rare games.

Sidzed2 said:

Paon has used Kremlings in their Donkey Kong games. Next Level used Kremlings in the Mario soccer games.

Rich!

Birds of a feather...

Jesus christ, dude.

Each person is allowed to have an opinion of their own. You hate the kremlings. Fine, who the fuck cares. Plenty of people don't. Accept it.

agrajag

Banned
udivision said:
ITT we pretend that character designs in these kinds of games actually matter!

Well, off course they matter. What matters, only the bare bones gameplay? Should all platformer games feature stick figures for characters?

[Nintex]

Paon has used Kremlings in their Donkey Kong games. Next Level used Kremlings in the Mario soccer games.
Yep, and Kremlings are much more interesting than Tiki's. Pretty much anything would be more interesting. I can understand that Retro wanted to create their own DKC game but I'm shocked at how bad the Tiki design is. Especially when Retro has such great artists working for them.

agrajag

Banned
I think some people are forgetting that Donkey (in his modern iteration) and Diddy are also the children of Rare design.

Kard8p3

agrajag said:
Well, off course they matter. What matters, only the bare bones gameplay? Should all platformer games feature stick figures for characters?

Honestly if the level design was on par with what's done in this game I wouldn't care what the game looked like. For me a platformer is all about the gameplay and anything else is just the cherry on top.

richisawesome said:
Jesus christ, dude.

Each person is allowed to have an opinion of their own. You hate the kremlings. Fine, who the fuck cares. Plenty of people don't. Accept it.

If I had a 'problem', and I'm pretty sure I don't, its that people keep knocking Retro for not including legacy Donkey Kong characters. I'm positing that it makes perfect sense for them to eradicate most of the Kongs and all of the Kremlings considering how unappealing they are from an artistic perspective. Just be glad Rambi and Diddy Kong made the cut.

Rich!

how unappealing they are from an artistic perspective.

You mean, from your artistic perspective, right? Because it most certainly isn't the same for everyone. Stop assuming it is.

richisawesome said:
You mean, from your artistic perspective, right? Because it most certainly isn't the same for everyone. Stop assuming it is.

No shit its my perspective, probably the studio's too. Do you think I need my opinions pointed out to me? Unless you think Retro didn't include the kremlings for some other reason?

[Nintex] said:
Yep, and Kremlings are much more interesting than Tiki's. Pretty much anything would be more interesting. I can understand that Retro wanted to create their own DKC game but I'm shocked at how bad the Tiki design is. Especially when Retro has such great artists working for them.

Like I said before, they were going for the musical instrument motif because it tied in with the hypnosis ability. Your job as Kong is to break their hold on the indigenous wildlife and return things to normal. It quickly sums up the premise. The lesser tiki were designed for the functional use of platforming. Its somewhat arbitrary ultimately, but I actually think it works.

Vanille

[Nintex] said:

I get the feeling that Retro just wanted to create something as different as possible, and didn't really care how good the design was by itself. They probably got tired of creating scaly anthropomorphic enemies in the Metroid Prime games.

agrajag

Banned
If I had a 'problem', and I'm pretty sure I don't, its that people keep knocking Retro for not including legacy Donkey Kong characters. I'm positing that it makes perfect sense for them to eradicate most of the Kongs and all of the Kremlings considering how unappealing they are from an artistic perspective. Just be glad Rambi and Diddy Kong made the cut.

Rambi's design looks retarded in this game.

Rich!

No shit its my perspective, probably the studio's too. Do you think I need my opinions pointed out to me? Unless you think Retro didn't include the kremlings for some other reason?

Who knows? They could have had any reason.

All I know is that some people like the new designs, others hate it. I'm not going to tell anyone 'YOUR TASTE IS WRONG!! YOU SHOULD LIKE THIS.' similar to what you are doing, because that would be bullshit.

Everyone is entitled to their own tastes. Design is like all art - subjective.

Sidzed2

[Nintex] said:

That's a Bingo!

Retro are some skilled sumbitches, but I can't believe how badly they dropped the ball with the bosses and enemies. The antagonists of DKCR are so weak and forgettable that the game loses a little something for it. They're not loathsome, they're not amusing, they're musical instruments with eyes. There's nothing to hang on to, nothing to remember, just nothing.

To be honest, though, far and above the enemy design, I think the most laughable design in the game is the checkpoint pig. I mean, it's a ludicrous, generic pink pig. A pig in a Donkey Kong Country game. Not even a stylised pig. Just a childlike stock-photo rendition of a hot pink cartoon pig. I mean... what the hell is next? Instead of 1UP mushrooms in Mario Galaxy 3, maybe Mario can gain lives by picking up a pencil sharpener! Or a jar of cabbage! You know, just to be different :D

Jintor

The Tikis are great, just wish they actually kind of actually had a personality larger than 'we're villains woooooo'

agrajag

Banned
Sidzed2 said:
That's a Bingo!

Retro are some skilled sumbitches, but I can't believe how badly they dropped the ball with the bosses and enemies. The antagonists of DKCR are so weak and forgettable that the game loses a little something for it. They're not loathsome, they're not amusing, they're musical instruments with eyes. There's nothing to hang on to, nothing to remember, just nothing.

To be honest, though, far and above the enemy design, I think the most laughable design in the game is the checkpoint pig. I mean, it's a ludicrous, generic pink pig. A pig in a Donkey Kong Country game. Not even a stylised pig. Just a childlike stock-photo rendition of a hot pink cartoon pig. I mean... what the hell is next? Instead of 1UP mushrooms in Mario Galaxy 3, maybe Mario can gain lives by picking up a pencil sharpener! Or a jar of cabbage! You know, just to be different :D

Hope they bring back save barrels instead of the pig in the next game.

Gilby

Just wondering, but are you an art student/professional of some sort?

The kremlings are indeed horrible, I can't believe there's this many people defending them.

Top Bottom