• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Barrow Roll said:
:lol

Yes, that's exactly what my post was stating. You're a better detective than Batman.

Banana Slamma.

The only thing in my post referring directly to the video you posted is the word "horrible".

schennmu said:
The only thing in my post referring directly to the video you posted is the word "horrible".
Oh, well in that case I misinterpreted your post since it was included in the same paragraph. Carry on.

His coconut gun can fire in spurts

Chuckie

I have a rather dumb question. Where the hell is the 'Image Gallery' in the game? When I find all puzzle pieces it says it's updated.... that's nice if I could find the damn thing

(yeah I should have checked the instruction booklet)

DonMigs85

Tence said:
I have a rather dumb question. Where the hell is the 'Image Gallery' in the game? When I find all puzzle pieces it says it's updated.... that's nice if I could find the damn thing

(yeah I should have checked the instruction booklet)
Under "Extras" after you choose your save slot from the menu IIRC.

LevityNYC

Banned
Weren't the Kremlings not included because of a legal thing between Nintendo and Rare, since technically Rare created them?

It makes sense, but only if you ignore the fact that Rare created Cranky, Rambi, and Diddy.

Rich!

LevityNYC said:
Weren't the Kremlings not included because of a legal thing between Nintendo and Rare, since technically Rare created them?

It makes sense, but only if you ignore the fact that Rare created Cranky, Rambi, and Diddy.

Nope, they have been in Mario Sluggers and other post-rare Nintendo games.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Still awaiting my copy to arrive fecking snow has held up the arrival (any old excuse I tells yah, remeber the days when the postman would deliver through hail/sleet or snow etc?)
feck's sake

farnham

Banned
how does the save system work

autosave after every level ?
richisawesome said:
Nope, they have been in Mario Sluggers and other post-rare Nintendo games.
isnt banjo an offspring of the DKC fanchise too?

Just started this game last night (2 levels). Holy crap, it will take some time getting used to the floaty jump and the roll taking me across THE ENTIRE SCREEN. Those 2 mechanics are enough to make it a completely different playing experience from the SNES DKCs (I rolled/cartwheeled/spun all the freaking time, but can't really do it with a controller shake). That having been said, I already accept it for what it is and look forward to a really fun game. : D

KevinCow

Banned
farnham said:
isnt banjo an offspring of the DKC fanchise too?

He first appeared in Diddy Kong Racing, but was first created for Banjo-Kazooie. His appearance in DKR was more of a preemptive cameo than him being a spinoff of the DK series.

Doesn't really matter either way. Nintendo owns DK and related stuff, Microsoft owns Banjo and related stuff. There's not really any grey area.

LevityNYC

Banned
Played a lot of both DKCR and DKC2 yesterday. Graphics aside DKC2 is the better game. The music is much better and the level design is far superior.

DKCR suffers a little from a "Get to the right" problem that the original game suffered from.

DKC2 had all types of water levels, vertical levels, and better bonus levels.

Animal buddies like squitter, and levels where you had to change the water to ice with the seal are just brilliant.

LevityNYC said:
Sigh. Can't we add something like "Nintendo owns the Kremlings" to the TT or something? I feel this question gets asked like 5 times on every page.

What happens if you run out of balloons? Is there any consequence?

Also, I just finished a mine cart level where I died 10 times....but its so much more relaxing than NSMB. In mario, you die = back to map, extended pauses, it's a pain in the ass. Here, you're right back in it, so it's great

one_kill said:
Just finished Crowded Cavern... and I swear that barrel rocket has a mind of its own!

As much as people bitch about the shake to roll/pound mechanic, we should all be eternally thankful they didn't decide to throw in some kind of pointer mechanic for the rocket barrel stages like those damn bird stages in Galaxy 2.

hatchx

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
As much as people bitch about the shake to roll/pound mechanic, we should all be eternally thankful they didn't decide to throw in some kind of pointer mechanic for the rocket barrel stages like those damn bird stages in Galaxy 2.

I have mastered the bird stages. They actually work incredibly well.

Personally I love the rocket barrel stages. They're batshit crazy and it works. Control is meant to be difficult, similar to rolling the ball in the Galaxy games. Yes it's unwieldy but it's designed that way.

totowhoa

Banned
confuziz said:
Fuckkkkkkkk, i didn't find any buttons in the last 3 levels of world 7, now i have to do them all over again :(

They're all pretty easy to find, found 'em my first time through each. If you're trying to keep an eye out for puzzle pieces, bonus rooms, etc., then you'll find them easily enough. Not too hidden really.

LevityNYC

Banned
I'd also like to point out that I died a few times in DKC2 because I waggled my classic controller to roll. It comes pretty natural after a while.

BuddhaRockstar said:

Pretty sure you didnt use any pointer mechanic, just tilting the wiimote. Im probaly wrong like always :lol

Anyone else get a massive smile on their face when you
climb up the caves, shoot yourself out with a barrel and land in the forest with Forest Frenzy playing right on cue?

:D

Socreges

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
climb up the caves, shoot yourself out with a barrel and land in the forest with Forest Frenzy playing right on cue?

Explain.

Vanille

_Alkaline_ said:

Yeah, that was really cool. I liked how the worlds transitioned into each other, it was a nice touch.

Datschge

I think the single biggest issue I have with the game besides the butchered controls are the respawning enemies. I enjoyed looking around in cleared areas in the DKC games, this feeling is completely missing in Returns even though the graphics are great...

The pig in this game reminds me of when that company added keyboard playing cats to Earthworm Jim. Does no current game developer understand 90s video game design? Each world had its set of rules it wasnt just whacky stuff for the sake of whacky

Jasoco

Banned
Creamium said:
I wish this guy was still around to review this game: DKC1/2
Interesting. Did he ever do one for DKC3? I was surprised at what he said about 2 not being as good because of the music not being catchy and the initial "wow" factor of CGI having worn off and the people wanting 3D games on the Ultra 64, PlayStation and Saturn.

totowhoa

Banned
Can't remember which one is 7-7, but here is one of the switches I recall:

There is a brief section of flat ground that is, I believe, between two brief platforming sections. There is a portion of the ground that you can pound to flip you down into a gap that you should suspect will be a bonus room, but it's the switch room
. Can't remember the other 2 right now, but seriously go through as if you were trying to find bonus rooms. They were pretty easy to bump into.

agrajag said:
OK, I can't for the life of me find the big red button in 7-7. Someone halp?
When you get to the flamethrowers, you need to check when there are 2 robot chickens. I don't remember the level that well, so I can't be more specific.

Edit: The chicken are between two flamethrowers.

agrajag

Banned
Hmm. 7-7 isn't the one with flamethrowers, it's Music Madness, the one with all the mallets. This is surprising, because the first two switches were incredibly easy to locate.

edit: going to play the level now again and look for flamethrowers, could've sworn there wasn't any in this level! :lol

Gin

_Alkaline_ said:

loved this part very much

I wish all worlds were like this with the transitioning

agrajag

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
When you get to the flamethrowers, you need to check when there are 2 robot chickens. I don't remember the level that well, so I can't be more specific.

Edit: The chicken are between two flamethrowers.

I got it, thank you! :D

AniHawk

Well, finished W8 and my opinion on the controls has solidified. They're bad. Especially when you have to do a super/high jump. It's just bad design.

W8 was a mixed bag. W7 had the most highs, and W6 was probably the most consistently good. I don't have a high opinion of this game, but it's not all bad either.
Got one more level now.

Oh, and the rocket levels are stupid as fuck. Why do I have to do them 6 times in this game when 1 is more than enough.

Top Bottom