• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

AniHawk

Anyway on the subject of music, I warmed to more of it later on, but it's also a half-and-half thing. Life in the Mines Returns might be better than the original, Forest Frenzy was nice, and the music during silhouette levels are great too.

Back to the game, the silhouette stuff made me wish Retro had actually done something with the concept of silhouettes other than make it look purdy. I also wish the idea of interacting with the background was made stronger. It just seemed like it was there for the sake of being there. Both are dying to be experimented with in a sequel.

one_kill said:
Vine swinging is tricky. It took me a number of attempts to get used to.
Really? I don't know, I immediatly felt like a true tarzan kong, swinging through the levels in a few smooth movements!

Chuckie

DieNgamers said:
Really? I don't know, I immediatly felt like a true tarzan kong, swinging through the levels in a few smooth movements!

Well I didn't know you could just hold the grab button and then jump from vine to vine. I was timing the grab with the vines.... and dying a million times in the process

AniHawk said:
Well, finished W8 and my opinion on the controls has solidified. They're bad. Especially when you have to do a super/high jump. It's just bad design.

Hold down A when you're about to hit an enemy. Works every time. What's the issue here?

agrajag

Banned
AniHawk said:
Well, finished W8 and my opinion on the controls has solidified. They're bad. Especially when you have to do a super/high jump. It's just bad design.

Agreed, there's something really awkward about them. Things that were easy to do in the DKC games are difficult in DKCR for no good reason. Still love the game though for its level design and visuals.

KevinCow

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
I don't mind the pig because it reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing, and ain't nothing wrong with that.

I want to punch him in the face every time he pops up to let me know I've died enough on a level to activate the super guide. Fuck you, I know I suck, no need to rub it in my face. :mad:

agrajag

Banned
KevinCow said:
I want to punch him in the face every time he pops up to let me know I've died enough on a level to activate the super guide. Fuck you, I know I suck, no need to rub it in my face. :mad:

This. :lol

Shoutouts to the final section of 6-K. That's some mean intense shit.

And I don't get complaints about the controls at all. This game is one of the rare instances where I only have myself to blame when I die. Everything is so spot on and polished. Jumping off enemies becomes second nature at some point. Waggle is the only downside but it's pretty easy to do by now. I'm using NES controls by the way.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
_Alkaline_ said:
Hold down A when you're about to hit an enemy. Works every time. What's the issue here?

Again, if you have Diddy the jetpack goes off. Though I don't have a problem timing it, so I can't complain.

schennmu said:
And I don't get complaints about the controls at all. This game is one of the rare instances where I only have myself to blame when I die. Everything is so spot on and polished. Jumping off enemies becomes second nature at some point. Waggle is the only downside but it's pretty easy to do by now. I'm using NES controls by the way.
Yeah, I agree. There's no reason to not include a waggle-free control scheme, but it's still absolutely reliable as it is now and the jumping and running physics themselves are spot on and predictable, too. Can't say I ever thought the controls were any kind of obstacle I had to overcome.

KevinCow

Banned
YES, finally beat 8-K. Stupid level. At least I never have to play it again because they give you the jiggies. On the other hand, 5, 6, and 7-K are the only levels I don't have all the jiggies in, so I'll have to redo them if I want them. :(

The Golden Temple was... something. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. A fun level, but no checkpoints was kind of annoying.

Also, looking at the artwork unlocked for beating it, it seems like they wanted to make the Golden Temple a full world instead of just the one level. It's a shame they didn't.
I really want to play that Virtual Boy mine cart level for some reason. :lol

shahkur

I'm not that far into the game yet (ABSOLUTELY LOVING IT!!!), but I wanted to know if Forest interlude music is in this as there hasn't been any mention of it so far.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
When you have Diddy, you might hover instead.
to be completely fair, if you time it like a conventional high-jump, albeit a micro-second before rather than after, then it will work every time.

It is odd that they allow a massive gap in time before the press prior to having Diddy, which obviously completely throws off the learn->behaviour if you're not already expecting it.

It's always functional if you know what's going on, but yeah, a bad choice.

KevinCow said:
this is, by far, the most annoying thing about this game. I wish I could turn it off. I bought 60 lives, damn it, let me use them all in peace without your nagging!

How many deaths does it take? I've never seen him and I would think somewhere along the line we'd have died enough (co-op is much harder). Is it based per level? or checkpoint?

KevinCow

Banned
Squall ASF said:
How many deaths does it take? I've never seen him and I would think somewhere along the line we'd have died enough (co-op is much harder). Is it based per level? or checkpoint?

If it's like NSMBW, he doesn't show up in co-op.

So if get KONG letters in every level it unlocks a K level and if you beat all the K levels it unlocks golden temple? Is that right?

Also, are there multiple endings depending on what percentage of the game you beat or just 1 standard ending?

Jasoco

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Anyone else get a massive smile on their face when you
climb up the caves, shoot yourself out with a barrel and land in the forest with Forest Frenzy playing right on cue?

:D
Which level are you talking about?

Squall ASF said:

He doesn't appear at all in co-op.

Tricky I Shadow said:
It happens in level 5-1......Vine Valley.

Yep.

Jesus, the Forest has been absolutely fantastic thus far. The last two stages that I played (Tipin' Totems and Longshot Launch) were mindblowing. I actually said "holy fuck!" out loud more than once playing these levels. The creativity (and the execution) is so fucking fantastic. And all I read in this thread is Kremlings vs Tikis.

Fuck the Tikis, fuck the Kremlings. It's all about the Kong and he's never been better.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, you still have World 6 and 7 ahead of you. I'm jealous.

KevinCow said:
YES, finally beat 8-K. Stupid level. At least I never have to play it again because they give you the jiggies. On the other hand, 5, 6, and 7-K are the only levels I don't have all the jiggies in, so I'll have to redo them if I want them. :(

The Golden Temple was... something. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. A fun level, but no checkpoints was kind of annoying.

Also, looking at the artwork unlocked for beating it, it seems like they wanted to make the Golden Temple a full world instead of just the one level. It's a shame they didn't.
I really want to play that Virtual Boy mine cart level for some reason. :lol
You gotta do the time trials to unlock those. Yes.

cvxfreak

The game finally came out in Japan today!

2vdjgiq.jpg

Love the green. Wish the whole case was that same though!

In one of the later World 5 stages did anyone notice
the giant godzillia mountain in the background with googely eyes
looks kind of like that gaffer's avatar of the munching claymation figure. Wasn't sure if it was a reference to something

rhino4evr

Finished the game at 85% today. This game was frustration more then fun on so many levels. So let me get this out...

FUCK Rocket Barrels and Mine Carts
FUCK One Hit Kills and Trial and Error gameplay
FUCK Diddy's Jet Pack and the motion controls.

There were a few moments of platform brilliance, but the unbalanced difficulty out weighed the good. World 4 was a complete nightmare.

I even had to use the Super Guide on a few stages because I was so fed up. To compare I've finished Galaxy 2 with all 241 stars. Never used the super guide once. Was never even asked to use it in NSMB.

I don't ever want to see or play this game again. How someone could torture themselves with Time trials and puzzle pieces is way beyond my tolerance and patience.

Mangoruby reminds me a lot of Spider Guardian. Terrific stuff. The Forest has been the highlight of the game so far, but it's all utterly fantastic.

Socreges

Banned
There are certain levels of mastery with this game that, if obtained, lower the frustration a whole lot. Some people are able to adapt well, others can't. It took me a while, but after a few worlds I wasn't having many problems.

It reminds me of GunValkyrie. Unintuitive controls, but that doesn't mean they can't be mastered with time and effort. Eventually they feel kinda natural. They're just not optimal.

For example, I totally had problems with the jetpack/super bounce at first. It was difficult to super bounce exactly when I wanted to when I had Diddy. At some point, though, it stopped being a problem. My mind conditioned itself, I guess.

AniHawk

schennmu said:
And because of this small annoyance the controls are bad?
Because of this bad design choice (and others like it), the controls are bad.

I adjusted to them over time, but I shouldn't have to adjust to them over time. If you were able to do it sooner, then kudos for adjusting to the bad controls quicker than I was.

Anyway, 101% complete and I think I'm done with this, at least for now. Don't think I'll do any speed runs any time soon, and no one who usually jumps in on these multiplayer games wants in on this one, so up on the shelf it goes.

rhino4evr said:
Finished the game at 85% today. This game was frustration more then fun on so many levels. So let me get this out...

FUCK Rocket Barrels and Mine Carts
FUCK One Hit Kills and Trial and Error gameplay
FUCK Diddy's Jet Pack and the motion controls.

There were a few moments of platform brilliance, but the unbalanced difficulty out weighed the good. World 4 was a complete nightmare.

I even had to use the Super Guide on a few stages because I was so fed up. To compare I've finished Galaxy 2 with all 241 stars. Never used the super guide once. Was never even asked to use it in NSMB.

I don't ever want to see or play this game again. How someone could torture themselves with Time trials and puzzle pieces is way beyond my tolerance and patience.

Funny...I thougt Galaxy was much more frustrating. Maybe it's because I'm such a DK nerd but for me DKC:R is a better game than Galaxy. I haven't palyed Galaxy 2, though! I love all the mincart levels!

V_Arnold

AniHawk said:
Because of this bad design choice (and others like it), the controls are bad.

I adjusted to them over time, but I shouldn't have to adjust to them over time. If you were able to do it sooner, then kudos for adjusting to the bad controls quicker than I was.

Anyway, 101% complete and I think I'm done with this, at least for now. Don't think I'll do any speed runs any time soon, and no one who usually jumps in on these multiplayer games wants in on this one, so up on the shelf it goes.

I do not get this. Because you have a hard time "adjusting" (as opposed to what? an imaginary "this is how it should be" controls? Mario Galaxy 2 controls? NSMB Wii controls? Donkey Kong Country from 94 on Snes controls?), it in no way makes the controls bad. Controls are perfectly fine.

There is one movement that is BAD design-wise (but not controlling-wise), and that is the blowing. It stops movement, therefore it slows down gameplay, therefore it is "bad". High jump on opponents require a very basic timing skill, something all players doing platformers should have. It is like complaining that you have to aim in an fps. Nonsense.

If it would have been automatic, you would not be able to hide stuff by requiring players to time their jumps correctly, therefor earning the high-jump from enemies back. And if you release the jump button before you hit the top of your jump, no jet-pack will be activiated. Again, a very basic timing requirement.

AniHawk

V_Arnold said:
I do not get this. Because you have a hard time "adjusting" (as opposed to what? an imaginary "this is how it should be" controls? Mario Galaxy 2 controls? NSMB Wii controls? Donkey Kong Country from 94 on Snes controls?), it in no way makes the controls bad. Controls are perfectly fine.

There is one movement that is BAD design-wise (but not controlling-wise), and that is the blowing. It stops movement, therefore it slows down gameplay, therefore it is "bad". High jump on opponents require a very basic timing skill, something all players doing platformers should have. It is like complaining that you have to aim in an fps. Nonsense.

It's bad because it is different for what is basically the same character. If you just have Donkey Kong, you can do the high jump by pressing the button pretty much any time you're descending on an enemy. It's unintuitive, and I think it's stupid, but it's not bad. It's bad when you try doing the same exact thing when you have a power-up, but can't because the timing is much more precise. And the thing is, there's a perfectly good way to bypass this problem altogether (hold A to do a high jump, whenever, no matter what), but Retro intentionally decided on a bad design choice. So they gets the hate.

AniHawk

Anyway, my final thoughts here.

tl;dr: reaches a high point late in the game, but other issues set it back. It's not a bad game, but I wouldn't recommend it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I see it as a risk versus reward scenario. If you're trying to get to a secret area then Diddy's jetpack and extra-health will be invaluable, but the high-jump will be a tad harder to pull off, but if you want to risk only having two hearts and no glide and want to do it purely based on momentum, then Retro reward you for that by making the high jump much 'safer' to trigger.

AniHawk said:

tl;dr: reaches a high point late in the game, but other issues set it back. It's not a bad game, but I wouldn't recommend it.
How can a game that in your own words "always seemed like it was on the verge of something great" be a 4/10? Comparing the game unfavorably to the original NSMB is just a low blow. For all its flaws DKCR spanks that bore-a-thon in just about every conceivable way. I also think it shows some real growth on Retro's part, allaying my fears that they had forever painted themselves into a corner with their approach to Metroid. This game gives me a lot more faith in their ability to adapt their skill set to the material, rather than the other way around.

You won't get an argument from me about the controls though. Much like Other M I find it embarrassing the lengths some people are going to defend design choices that unnecessarily drag the entire experience down.

AniHawk said:

I dunno man, I have a hard time to take your control issues seriously. Ever heard of learning phase -> reward? Anyway, even if that stuff would have bothered me I doubt it would have clouded my vision to an extent where I completely overlook the brilliance of the game. I highly recommend playing it. It smokes every other platformer I have played this year.

Top Bottom