• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

GC|Simon

Found it below our christmas tree. Great game. A really great game. It looks great, it sounds great and it plays great. And of course it is so much fun. Retro, I love you.

Socreges

Banned
I don't know how people can do the time trials. Having to restart each time you fuck up (since the clock doesn't restart for some stupid reason) and therefore sit through the load screen was just too much for me. Retro could have made it a lot more intuitive.

Garcia

Socreges said:
I don't know how people can do the time trials. Having to restart each time you fuck up (since the clock doesn't restart for some stupid reason) and therefore sit through the load screen was just too much for me. Retro could have made it a lot more intuitive.

That's EXACTLY what they have to optmize for DKCR 2 . The fucking re-loading and the slow menus really get on your nerves when you start dying more often than usual doing the time trials. It is angering !

Socreges said:
Agreed. I've mentioned it before, but these sorts of befuddling design choices in otherwise meticulously crafted games are one of Retro's hallmarks imo. I don't think I'll ever understand their knack for building rich, complex worlds and completely nailing the subtlest of minutia, yet overlooking the most basic and immediately apparent design flaws. I mean, think about the amount of testing a game like this goes through. So how does this shit slip by? It's a bizarre dichotomy. In the case of DKCR's time trials it's mostly forgivable, but the sheer needlessness of it can be pretty frustrating, particularly when you've repeated the same segment dozens of times. Same with the whole high jump thing. You just gotta wonder, why?

I'm on a minecart level (fuck them) in the cliff world and there's this part where I bounce across some floating enemies and have to bounce off one of them to clear a pillar. And I can't do it. I'm assuming I have to time a button press to gain some extra height, a mechanic that's never been required to beat a level up to now, but I've died like 20 times trying to get the timing down and I haven't nailed it once. And it's getting annoying having to replay the same level over and over to get one shot at trying again. Help me, somehow.

edit- nevermind, of course I nail it on the very next try

edit- only to die repeatedly again the next time I'm required to do it 10 seconds later

jarosh said:
and world 8 is basically metroid prime world, both in terms of visuals and sound.

That's what I got out of it too, maybe that's why I liked world 8 so much. Definitely had more atmosphere and better music than some of the other levels. Probably my least favorite was world 4, it was just kind of bland.

slaughterking said:
I'm not sure what part exactly troubles you, but holding the jump button before landing on an enemy is all you can do to gain extra height.

Yeah, I just figured that out. It feels kind of odd to have to pre-empt the bop but at least now I know where I was going wrong.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
revolverjgw said:
I'm on a minecart level (fuck them) in the cliff world and there's this part where I bounce across some floating enemies and have to bounce off one of them to clear a pillar. And I can't do it. I'm assuming I have to time a button press to gain some extra height, a mechanic that's never been required to beat a level up to now, but I've died like 20 times trying to get the timing down and I haven't nailed it once. And it's getting annoying having to replay the same level over and over to get one shot at trying again. Help me, somehow.

edit- nevermind, of course I nail it on the very next try

edit- only to die repeatedly again the next time I'm required to do it 10 seconds later

Traditional platformer jumping mechanics works where you jump and hold the button, then when you land on an enemy while still holding the button you gain extra height. Mario works like this, and so did the old DKC games.

DKCR for some reason abandons this idea. You need to press the jump button a second time to get that extra height. However, you dont need to time it with landing on the enemy, and instead can press and hold it before landing on them.

So lets say your objective is to ride the minecart on a track, jump off the track onto an enemy, then highjump off that enemy onto a platform. Traditionally you'd jump off the track and just hold the button, and you'd automatically get that extra height from the enemy. In DKCR you need to press jump to get off the platform, then press and hold jump a second time before you hit the enemy, and then you will get that extra height.

So think of it like how it used to work, where you still need to be holding jump when you hit the enemy, but that first jump wont work. You cant jump and hold to get the extra height. You need to jump, then hit the jump button a second time and hold.

JaseMath

Guys, I'm getting my ass kicked in 6-K. Is there any way to kill the electric flying bugs?

The developers at Retro are masochists.

loosus

Banned
My hopes for the next game based on what I have played so far...

--Better music (get Dave Wise, pleasefuckshitmother)

--Small complaint, but I want the screen zoomed in just a tad. I feel like the game is always zoomed out. Kinda annoying.

--Similarly, zoom in when Donkey Kong goes to the background. Having the background elements is cool, but I'd prefer it zoom in when it does.

--When the background is not in use, blur it and/or lighten the colors of it so that it contrasts more with the foreground. This is especially true for later stages where there's a shit-ton of stuff going on.

--Make the game easier earlier on and let it gradually get harder. The game gets hard too quickly, and I don't think my girlfriend is going to stick with this -- and we're only at the end of World 2.

--The controls are extremely good and snappy, except for the waggle. Remove it.

--See if anything can be done about the load times. They're not horrible, but I guess I've been spoiled by the DS and Nintendo's Wii games.

Otherwise, the graphics are pretty good, the level design is good, and the controls are very good (except for the waggle).

EatChildren said:
Traditional platformer jumping mechanics works where you jump and hold the button, then when you land on an enemy while still holding the button you gain extra height. Mario works like this, and so did the old DKC games.

DKCR for some reason abandons this idea. You need to press the jump button a second time to get that extra height. However, you dont need to time it with landing on the enemy, and instead can press and hold it before landing on them.

So lets say your objective is to ride the minecart on a track, jump off the track onto an enemy, then highjump off that enemy onto a platform. Traditionally you'd jump off the track and just hold the button, and you'd automatically get that extra height from the enemy. In DKCR you need to press jump to get off the platform, then press and hold jump a second time before you hit the enemy, and then you will get that extra height.

So think of it like how it used to work, where you still need to be holding jump when you hit the enemy, but that first jump wont work. You cant jump and hold to get the extra height. You need to jump, then hit the jump button a second time and hold.

Thanks. It's second nature now but it took me a while to catch on... and the game never forced me to have to learn this until I was 70% done.

This game is awesome, I might have to go back to the GOTY voting thread and update my ballot. I'm wondering what the heck is next every time I go into a new level. Feels good, man. It's a platforming clinic.

loosus said:

I agree with this. Pointless as usual. Milliseconds matter in games like this and I can feel the lagtime with the waggle controls. Doesn't break anything but I'd have more fun just pressing a button.

ivysaur12

Banned
So I've been playing this, just got to World 2...

I like it, but it's lacking the "oh wow" moments and feeling that Jungle Beat and Metroid Prime both had. I haven't been compelled to go back and re-do any stages, unlike other platformers released this year (such as Galaxy) because it would be a bit of a chore.

loosus

Banned
I like the game hella-more than Jungle Beat or Galaxy 2. In fact, there's a far, far, far greater chance I'll replay this one than I will either of those. Comparatively, I just couldn't stomach those other two a second time. This, on the other hand, is fun to play through to even collect everything.

The only Wii platformer that might possibly be better is New Super Mario Bros. Wii (although it had its fair share of problems).

daakusedo

About the time trials, I did a lot of them and the restart problem isn't one.
You don't have to do this because the checkpoint work in this mode.
And that's useful to understand how to do well a section of the level and not have to retry all the parts. I think the other shiny challengers will agree.

Garcia

loosus said:
My hopes for the next game based on what I have played so far...
--Better music (get Dave Wise, pleasefuckshitmother)

I say it again, if they get Wise for the next game, shit will be golden.

--Small complaint, but I want the screen zoomed in just a tad. I feel like the game is always zoomed out. Kinda annoying.

Think about the game zoomed out a lil bit more and imagine how frustrating it would be to die by invisible traps that are out of the screen. No, I'm pretty content with the zoom they chose.

--Similarly, zoom in when Donkey Kong goes to the background. Having the background elements is cool, but I'd prefer it zoom in when it does.

I loved the depth of the levels when the game throws you into the background. No issues here at all.

--When the background is not in use, blur it and/or lighten the colors of it so that it contrasts more with the foreground. This is especially true for later stages where there's a shit-ton of stuff going on.

Never found this to be an issue either.

--Make the game easier earlier on and let it gradually get harder. The game gets hard too quickly, and I don't think my girlfriend is going to stick with this -- and we're only at the end of World 2.

No way Jose ! The difficulty is what makes the game so appealing to old-schoolers ! If anything the should make the game less forgiving and instead they should polish the gameplay mechanics. The horizontal barrel levels need a serious gameplay redesign, ASAP. It's frustrating to have delayed deaths just because you didn't press A for half a second.

Agreed. Tho' I actually felt the blowing mechanic killed the experience way more than the shaking did. As I'm doing the time trials right now the waggle feels 2nd nature, but I really would like to have my rolling assigned to a button.

--See if anything can be done about the load times. They're not horrible, but I guess I've been spoiled by the DS and Nintendo's Wii games.

THIS. Oh God THIS.

Wait 'til you try the Time Trials and then you're gonna HATE the loading times more than ever, specially the absurdly slow pause menu ! They have to optimize the game !

I'd jump for joy if Wise worked on the soundtrack for a sequel (DKC2 music, please). Of course, I'd jump for joy if a sequel was announced at all, but I digress...

I love the soundtrack for DKCR, but only because of the remixes. Retro done a fantastic job of remixing the DKC soundtrack, but I can't say I care too much for the new tunes. They're not terrible by any means, but most aren't really too memorable.

Regarding the difficulty, the problem is that co-op makes the game *harder*, not easier, because of some quite frankly stupid decisions with the lives system. A single mistimed jump can result in 2 lives being lost. And it costs a life to "respawn", regardless of whether your partner is able to actually reach the barrel and tag you back in.

The difficulty is just right for hardened/older gamers, but co-op is a big selling point, and it should ideally make the game a lot easier for the benefit of family members/friends/girlfriends/whatever who don't have as much experience with platformers.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
EatChildren said:

It's because of Diddy's jet pack.

They want you to be able to hit the jet pack mode and hover at any point during a jump, ascending or descending. They decided to use a timed button press during the enemy bounce window so as to have the button otherwise free for a sudden jet pack firing.

In other words, let's say you're about to land on an enemy but something's gone wrong and you need to hover. Or for whatever reason, you need to fire the thruster.

If the button was already held down in preparation for a high bounce, you'd be required to release the button and tap it again - two actions.

The designers seem to have felt it was better to err on the side of encouraging instant jet pack access that wasn't conflicting with another input (such as holding the button down).

eshwaaz

I got this game from my wife for Christmas.

I am not a fan of the series. I rented the original DKC when it was first released, and did not care for it.

In general, I have never been big on platformers. I'm typically more drawn to games like Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect.

I suck at Donkey Kong Country Returns. And yet - I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm only a few stages in, but already I'm extremely impressed by the level design. I can certainly see how perfectionists and speed-runners would obsess over this game. I'm definitely not one of those people (some of you would likely cringe over how slowly I'm going through these levels), but I'm having a surprisingly good time.

Hopefully the difficulty curve will not eventually scare me away, but for now, color me impressed.

Oh yeah, I beat all the levels in the game yesterday, including the
Golden Temple
, and now I'm going to try and find all the puzzle pieces. I'll be drawing the line after that. I'm not going to bother trying to get gold Time Trial medals for all the levels, as I done a few already, and can't say I enjoyed them too much. The control issues that are near-negligible in the main game become huge annoyances in Time Trial, and combined with *incredibly* strict times to get gold, Time Trial runs only infuriate me.

Plus, there's also the fact that dying results in you being respawned at a checkpoint with the timer as it was when you died. This make it impossible to get gold, therefore necessitating a restart, which means that every time you die (and you will die a lot when rushing in Time Trial), you have to wait for the death/respawn sequence, pause the game, quit back to the map, wait for it to load, reselect the level, and then wait for it to load back up again. It's a huge pain in the ass, made all the more annoying by the fact that the checkpoints serve no purpose, since you have to do a level in one life if you want to get gold. They should have just made it so that if you die, it automatically puts you back at the start of the level.

Also, the difficulty of the game is fine in the main game, but in Time Trial, where you have to clear a level in one life, and you can't start with Diddy Kong (and remember that he can't be found at all in certain K-levels), I'm not willing to reattempt levels as often as this game would require me to if I attempted to get all golds.

The only levels I enjoyed getting gold medals in were the minecart/rocket ones, as since you're only on foot for a tiny amount of the levels, and the rest of them you're travelling at a set speed, they're pretty easy. I got all golds in World 4 (maybe not the K level though; I forget) for that reason.

Oh, and
Mirror Mode
can fuck right off for similar reasons. I can see that being easier than getting golds in Time Trial, but still a massive pain in the ass. And unlike Time Trials, which at least has a good incentive, I don't really see the point. It just seems tacked on.

All this is coming from somebody who got 100% in Super Meat Boy. I don't mind hard games. But I hate hard games which are hard for the wrong reasons, and in which a single attempt can take a while.

Glix

Kabuki Waq said:
does this game require afirmware upgrade? i refuse to let go of the ability to play brawl from a USB stick.

If you are playing brawl from a stick, it shouldn't matter to you...

(as in, there are ways to upgrade firmware without ruining homebrew)

Just fired the game up, but I have a question.

Does this game fill the whole screen on an HDTV? I have it all set for widescreen and 480P on the Wii, but I'm still seeing the game in 4:3 res with the black bars in each side. Do I need to fix something else?

CF_Fighter said:
Just fired the game up, but I have a question.

Does this game fill the whole screen on an HDTV? I have it all set for widescreen and 480P on the Wii, but I'm still seeing the game in 4:3 res with the black bars in each side. Do I need to fix something else?

Something's wrong, as it definitely should be in widescreen, as should any respectable retail game these days (fuck you Mario All-Stars).

I just figured it out, on my widescreen settings for the actual TV on that input it was set to normal not wide. Shame the Wii doesn't automatically set that up like the 360 or PS3 does.

Threi said:

They won't remove it.

I'm not sure if they will have classic controller options in the next one but of course I wouldn't mind for those that really want that.

I'll play it with the motion controls anyway.

On another note, didn't really like the remote only controls.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Ben2749 said:
This make it impossible to get gold, therefore necessitating a restart, which means that every time you die (and you will die a lot when rushing in Time Trial), you have to wait for the death/respawn sequence, pause the game, quit back to the map, wait for it to load, reselect the level, and then wait for it to load back up again. It's a huge pain in the ass, made all the more annoying by the fact that the checkpoints serve no purpose, since you have to do a level in one life if you want to get gold. They should have just made it so that if you die, it automatically puts you back at the start of the level.
Uh... there is a RETRY option in Time Attack that just resets the level. If you pause before you die (not very difficult) it'll be the same speed as death restart.

Lathentar said:
Uh... there is a RETRY option in Time Attack that just resets the level. If you pause before you die (not very difficult) it'll be the same speed as death restart.

Thinking about it, yeah, you're right. I must have remembered wrong. But that doesn't change the fact that if you do die, you still have to wait for the game to plonk you back at a checkpoint for no reason at all, since you're going to have to restart.

Dr.Hadji

Ben2749 said:
Thinking about it, yeah, you're right. I must have remembered wrong. But that doesn't change the fact that if you do die, you still have to wait for the game to plonk you back at a checkpoint for no reason at all, since you're going to have to restart.

For a lot of the levels restarting at the check point doesn't lose you a gold. They really aren't that strict.

Garcia

Dr.Hadji said:
For a lot of the levels restarting at the check point doesn't lose you a gold. They really aren't that strict.

That's true. I managed to get a couple of gold medals after dying and starting at a checkpoint. Golds are really forgiving, it's shiny golds the ones that make you realize Retro didn't think about us obsessive completionists that much. Implementing some optional features after entering Time Attack mode like auto-restarting the level if you get hit by an enemy or if you get killed could've seriously enhanced the overall experience.

Garcia said:
That's true. I managed to get a couple of gold medals after dying and starting at a checkpoint. Golds are really forgiving, it's shiny golds the ones that make you realize Retro didn't think about us obsessive completionists that much. Implementing some optional features after entering Time Attack mode like auto-restarting the level if you get hit by an enemy or if you get killed could've seriously enhanced the overall experience.

Well, I don't know if I was completely missing something, but on the first level, for example, I had to retry quite a few times to get gold, and even then, got it with less than half a second to spare. There's no way I could have got it if I had died, even immediately after a checkpoint.

Garcia

Ben2749 said:
Well, I don't know if I was completely missing something, but on the first level, for example, I had to retry quite a few times to get gold, and even then, got it with less than half a second to spare. There's no way I could have got it if I had died, even immediately after a checkpoint.

Some levels are extremely easy to Gold, while others (like 1-1 and 1-4) almost require the skills for obtaining shiny golds. Pretty weird actually. The first cart level is a breeze to gold on the first or second try as well.

My brother and I have beaten World 1 now. I keep dying and he keeps getting left alone as Diddy Kong. One complaint I have is sometimes you'll press 1 to come down in a barrel, and either your partner won't notice it (usually a result of a lack of communication), won't be able to get to it in time, or it'll float down in an inaccessible part of the screen...

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Ben2749 said:
Something's wrong, as it definitely should be in widescreen, as should any respectable retail game these days (fuck you Mario All-Stars).

Um, you do know that the Mario games were made during a time when TVs were 4:3 and not 16:9. right?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
cooljeanius said:
My brother and I have beaten World 1 now. I keep dying and he keeps getting left alone as Diddy Kong. One complaint I have is sometimes you'll press 1 to come down in a barrel, and either your partner won't notice it (usually a result of a lack of communication), won't be able to get to it in time, or it'll float down in an inaccessible part of the screen...
As in NSMB, shake the remote to move the barrel closer.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Which part are you having trouble on???

The initial attacks or the ones the next round of them???
both, initial attack isn't too bad anymore, but those fucking fire things he drop ARAGFGAFJKAHF

flintstryker said:
both, initial attack isn't too bad anymore, but those fucking fire things he drop ARAGFGAFJKAHF

Yeah, I was curious because after time, the initial attacks give you no problems at all.

I don't know what to say about the fire things, when I defeated him, it was in a panic more than total skill.

It sounds like you haven't beaten him yet but to make you feel better, he doesn't last long at all, especially for a final boss.

Koodo

Banned
So I just got this game two days ago and omg. RETRO, MARRY ME.

These bitches could get Atari hardware and still churn out the most beautiful game of the year. It boggles how artistically godly they are.

Oh, game is great, too.

Top Bottom