• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Nicktals

Banned
I love this game. I played through the whole thing. Not using any items, never buying any balloons. When I finished my playthrough (where I focused on collecting all KONG letters, and nothing else), I had 4 lives left. Exactly like when I started.

The game is absolutely balanced, paced, and designed for me. I never really cared for the original games (always just seemed stiff and plastic...I don't know, just never sucked me in). I didn't play them until a year or two ago though.

Anyways, this game is amamzing. After 100%ing it with all kong letters and the special stage, I finally got back into it with mirror, and I'm loving it so far. Maaan....amazing game. Still has weak bosses though

Spike

KevinCow said:
Is there any way to put roll on ZR instead of R? I assume it would just require changing one line of the code since the two codes posted earlier in this thread differ by only one line, but how would I figure out what to change that line to?

I would like to know this also.

I've made it to world 3 and I can't say that I'm feeling it yet. Definitely agree with the motion-control complaints. In my experience it really doesn't add anything and is less reliable then a button-press. Midi-instruments kinda suck. DK's physics don't feel quite right to me, allthough I've never been a big fan of the movement in the previous games either. Biggest problem right now however, is that I'm not getting that 'just one more level' feeling that is so vital for these kinds of games. I'll play one or two levels, turn it off and go play TF2 or something.

Reading your impressions it seems to get better later on so I'll stick with it in hopes of improvement.

Garcia

I just wanted to say Hoooooooooooooooooly crap at the Time Attacks !!

I've been trying at least a level a day and each one is taking me from 20 to 40 60 tries before finally mastering the route and getting a Gold badge. I've only gotten 4 so far and I got a Shiny Gold in Level 1-2 , no idea how I managed to do that !

Retro, thank you so much for giving your game such an insane ammount of replay value. I had a flashback earlier tonight after being killed several times in the very same spot by the fucking same parrot 10 times in a row. I felt the anger I felt back in the NES days when I was a kid. I had totally forgotten that primal side of me, and the best part is that it is completely optional.

The frustration I experienced back in the 80's was mainly attributed to the main quest of any given videogame, but in DKCR you get voluntarily mad, making you wanna throw the Wii mote at the screen out of pure masochism :lol .

Garcia

brandonh83 said:
This game gets so much better after the fourth level.

And it gest harder one level at a time... Level 7 and 8 feature some of the most absurd platforming stages I've ever seen in my life :lol .

Garcia said:
I felt the anger I felt back in the NES days when I was a kid. I had totally forgotten that primal side of me.
A million times this, lastnight i lost about 30 lives at the same spot in the level where the giant bat thing is chasing me and for the first time in years i wanted to snap my controller in half, that really hasn't happened since the nes days, and i could help but laugh when i realized that.

swerve

Early Christmas Present!

I was expecting greatness, because of this thread and the reviews. I wasn't expecting THIS MUCH greatness. Everything feels so chunky and solid and satisfying. I am loving the motion controls (nunchuck and wiimote all the way) and the tactile feeling they bring to it. It's like they took some of the magic of Jungle Beat and infused it into a better version of the SNES games.

I say 'better' than the SNES games, because almost everything about the new version feels more what Nintendo brings to the table, and less Rare. Retro seem to be much closer to Nintendo quality in terms of gameplay and presentation than Rare ever were.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
*friend who is a big DK fan stays over on the weekend*
*show him the two K levels I havent finished*
*wake up Sunday morning*

"Hey dude! I finished those K levels for you!"
"Oh...wow! I'm genuinely impressed. You've really picked up on the game quickly huh?"
"Yeah! I found out you could buy these potions that allow you to take ten extra hits on top of your normal health. Made it super easy!"

*file forever tainted*

robot

swerve said:
Early Christmas Present!

I was expecting greatness, because of this thread and the reviews. I wasn't expecting THIS MUCH greatness. Everything feels so chunky and solid and satisfying. I am loving the motion controls (nunchuck and wiimote all the way) and the tactile feeling they bring to it. It's like they took some of the magic of Jungle Beat and infused it into a better version of the SNES games.

I say 'better' than the SNES games, because almost everything about the new version feels more what Nintendo brings to the table, and less Rare. Retro seem to be much closer to Nintendo quality in terms of gameplay and presentation than Rare ever were.
I was writing a post exactly like this last night but got sidetracked. I too got it as an early Xmas present (with banana pouch!) and even started my post out with "I was expecting greatness." very strange and awesome at the same time. Only difference is I'm using the wiimote on it's side. Feels more true to the genre to me.

So yea, got it last night and have been blown away so far. The levels are so clever and the control/weight of DK is perfect. One of the best platformers I've played in recent memory. Enjoying it more than Galaxy 2. Can't wait to get back to playing.

Cafeman

Last weekend I played DKCR up to the caves world. I think its a fantastic platformer - so far, the motion controls are intuitive to me and I've had no problems. The design of the game and the wonderful set pieces (like the incoming ocean waves you must hide from, or the ships firing cannons at you, etc) is just so reminiscent of 90's 2D gameplay, and I really enjoy it!

Sadist

Game gets better every time when I start it up.

Just taking my time, I'm in world 7-4 or 7-3... damn hands punching me.

daakusedo

200% soon.
I already fear some time trials in world 7 ,8 and the last boss, having to do the first part when you miss,I don't want to know...
But the TT for the octopus level was cool, rolling under his arm when he try to stop you, that is satisfying!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I finished this game, collecting all the puzzle pieces and KONG letters (and unlocking
Mirror Mode, which along with time trials, I don't have the patience for
. Unlocking all that concept art... there are some AWESOME looking and creative levels that I wish made it to the final product. Like a remake of the tree huts from DKC, and some more dessert/food based levels a la
Golden Temple
. The actual levels, although gorgeous in terms of background detail, were mostly pretty basic - Caves, volcanos, jungles, it's like your typical 16 bit platformer area. Hell we didn't even get some ice or underwater stages.

I despise this game. It pisses me off to the point where I want to turn it off and never play it again, yet I can't and keep wanting to finish just one more level out of anger and say 'HA! I FUCKING BEAT YOU!" :lol

Garcia

Jesus !! This game hates me ! :lol .

Spent an hour trying to get Gold time in Level 1-4. Still can't do it !! I'm still half a second late to get it ! WTF !!

Instro

Finished it a couples days back, got all the KONG letters, didnt bother to look for all the puzzle pieces, too much of a hassle. This game is fantastic though, a couple of those K levels were just obscene.

jarosh

merry christmas, gaf!

dkcb.jpg

that was the pre-order bonus for dkcr from amazon.de: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004CRS838/

...which i decided to wrap as a christmas present for my brother.

jjasper

I just finished it yesterday. Awesome game. I haven't really been following the thread much but I will say I think it was better than any of the DKC games, as it fixed most of the issues I had with them and left in the good stuff (like the remixed music). Also the game was a lot harder than I was expecting but that just added to my enjoyment of it. I will say thought that the game would have been better off without any motion controlling as it just seemed tacked on and stupid.

KevinCow said:
I finally hacked my Wii so I could implement the Classic Controller support. Put the code in, got it working, and it definitely makes the game play a bit better. I'm still not happy with how the roll doesn't activate during certain frames of animation, though.

Is there any way to put roll on ZR instead of R? I assume it would just require changing one line of the code since the two codes posted earlier in this thread differ by only one line, but how would I figure out what to change that line to?

Shit why didn't I know about this? Time to investigate!

Garcia said:
And it gest harder one level at a time... Level 7 and 8 feature some of the most absurd platforming stages I've ever seen in my life :lol .

My only real problem is getting the mine cart to bounce off enemies correctly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the Prehistoric Path stage gave me so many problems simply because sometimes it wouldn't let me bounce off enemies high enough to reach the next platform.

Chuckie

jarosh said:
merry christmas, gaf!

dkcb.jpg

that was the pre-order bonus for dkcr from amazon.de: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004CRS838/

...which i decided to wrap as a christmas present for my brother.

Haha, that's awesome! Merry Christmas to you too.

It was the first day off for me, so I decided to 'finish' the game today. The endboss was a bit easier than expected. I had more trouble with previous bosses.

Now I'm going for the KONG-s and the K-levels. After that I will stop. Those time trials are to hardcore.

Garcia

Trying to get shiny golds is the most hardcore thing I've done in a long time.... Game just keeps pushing you towards perfection. Damn...

World 4...for crying out loud, why would you make a world dedicated to the downright awful parts of your otherwise great game? at first I thought it was just the rail bits, which are woeful enough, but the rocket stages as well? come on

Phenomic

Linkzg said:
World 4...for crying out loud, why would you make a world dedicated to the downright awful parts of your otherwise great game? at first I thought it was just the rail bits, which are woeful enough, but the rocket stages as well? come on

:lol

I was raging through out this whole world. Eventually perfected it though. I dunno what Retro was thinking on that one. I mean a few mine cart levels are fine but this was too much for me.

Linkzg said:

Just starting world 8 now, and so far 4 is actually my favorite.

Disguises

Went to buy this a few days ago and couldn't find a copy anywhere. Sold out in GAME, Gamestation and HMV. Hopefully it'll drop to a nicer price in the sales.

d+pad

Got this for Christmas. Loving it so far, though I'm only in the second world. Between this, Kirby and NSMBW, the Wii sure is a platformer-lover's dream!

TripOpt55

Got this for Christmas. Played through the first two levels. It's a lot of fun and actually kind of tough at times which is nice. Level design seems great so far.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fuck you guys! I loved world 4 due to the abundance of mine cart levels.

JaseMath

(Much) Better level design than NSMB Wii marred by shitty shake controls. I know I'm the 1,000th person to mention this, but seriously, WTF? Was it a requirement on Nintendo's part to shoehorn in shitty waggle?

It's too bad too, because this is the best 2D platformer of this gen.

Phenomic said:
:lol

I was raging through out this whole world. Eventually perfected it though. I dunno what Retro was thinking on that one. I mean a few mine cart levels are fine but this was too much for me.

The mine cart levels weren't that bad. It's just that I'd much rather do the bread and butter platforming because that is why I'm enjoying the game. For what it was, there were some entertaining levels, but just don't dedicate an entire world to them.

The rocket...yeah, fuck the rocket. I remember playing this type of game on my calculator. It was only tolerable then because the alternative was learning math, and FUCK math.

World 5 was great, btw.

Threi

notag
:bow: World 7 :bow:

best music, best atmosphere, best platforming, so so so good.

Take out world 4 and put in another World 7 and i would enjoy this game even more :lol

I got this for Christmas! My brother and I had fun playing through most of World 1 together. I love the character animations in it. Also, the shaking is mitigated by the sounds that come out of the Wii Remote's speaker, the sounds really give a feedback to your shakes that don't come across in videos.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Up to world three.
Enjoying it quite a bit.

Waggle to roll works surprisingly well actually. I find pulling off roll jumps easier since you dont have to use the same thumb for both inputs. (or the window might be easier than in the other dkcs) Also, the thumbstick seems perfect for the game.

As a big opponent of the waggle to roll I am relieved... but i still think options are good and I can definitely see some people not liking them. a button press is simply more accurate.

I wish a few things were different. It would be better if you could get hit multiple times in the mine cart levels and barrel levels. It would be nice to have a DK character walking around in the world map. Too many remixes of old songs. (sunset remix was awesome, tide original music was great)

Top Bottom