• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Looking at Amazon, nice to see that DKCR keeps selling very well, especialy bing ranked better than this COD Crap. This Game disserves many millions copies.

Regarding the fact that this game is really just homaging stuff of the first DKC title, I believe that there is a high chance that we will see Diddis Kong Quest returning :) :) :)

What do you think?

spliced

Now I've got through most of the game
beat world 8 and some of the K's

I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan of the original and much of that was to do with the lousy hit detection and never having a good feeling of where I was in relation to the ground I was standing on, this would lead to problems when on the edge of cliffs and platforms. But this game is an amazing improvement in this regard.

I initially had problems with the timed press for high-jump off enemies and the shake to roll and I'd say after going through the game I still am not a fan of either. But on the other hand I have got used to the timed jump enough that for the most part I don't think it diminishes the experience in any significant way. Even the shake roll isn't too bad for just regular play through of the game since there is often another way to do something or room for error when attempting it. Using the shake roll for TT though is probably my biggest current frustration with the game. I'd say I only execute 60-80% of the rolls I attempt.

Overall though this game is just pure fun. Other then the roll, the controlls are great. Even though there were several levels I died over and over I always felt like I didn't do something right and I had the ability to change it on the next attempt.

The levels are awesome. They looked fantastic and were fun to play through. Each level felt fresh and the worlds had great themes. I also personally enjoyed not having
an underwater world

The difficulty was just about perfect for the main game, if anything it was a tiny bit too hard. I felt I had a good pace through most of the game, I struggled with maybe 5 or so levels. I haven't done too many TT yet but they seem really hard, getting close to Blast Corps hard.
I've done the first 6 K's and man did 5K whip my butt
. Just getting to the end killed me dozens of times, then trying to get that one evil puzzle piece took my death toll to well over 100.

I really love all the different goals and challenges in the game, it combined with quality controls give a nice incentive to go through the levels again.

It's been a long time since i've enjoyed a 2D platformer this much. Good stuff Retro.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Finally got around to playing this some the past couple of days. It's kind of pointless but I love the sequences where you get to the beat the hell out of the tiki boss at the end of every world.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
finished 9-1. 100% is the listed on my profile. good choice to keep time trials and puzzle-pieces separate.

potentially my GOTY runner-up, but I need a bit more time to reflect.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Rez said:
did I do something wrong?

you admit to being weaksauce :p the way i see it, if the devs didn't put a barrel anywhere, it was never their intention for you to beat that level with Diddy. See also most of the K stages.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I get that, but letting me bring Diddy into the level anyway if I have to mildly inconvenience myself is contradictory. I'd rather they just NEVER allowed him in the level.

But I can see why they chose to do it the way they did. It's a completely taste related thing, I don't think doing it my way would have been inherently better. I'd have just preferred it.

Haunted

I'm at the Factory now, and I don't want it to end.

Going through the minecart levels in the caves was so much fucking fun.

Rez said:
I spent ages trying to beat 9-1. I don't like it when they don't include a Diddy barrel at the beginning of a level. Making me go all the way out of the level to finish another with Diddy is totally pointless.
You do realize that you don't have to finish a level with Diddy to get him for another level, right? You can just get Diddy and quit the level and you'll still have him...

one_kill

Rez said:
finished 9-1. 100% is the listed on my profile. good choice to keep time trials and puzzle-pieces separate.

potentially my GOTY runner-up, but I need a bit more time to reflect.
Doing time trials increases your completion rate?

JohnB

Oh if only there was an option to give you extra health if you're 41!

I am so shite at this game it's taken me about half a dozen goes to get to the end of the first level.

Not world, level.

Perhaps I should play it stone-cold sober?

:D

Regards,
John

P.S. It's such a beautiful game aesthetically, isn't it?

totowhoa

Banned
one_kill said:
Doing time trials increases your completion rate?

Not your % rate, but there are those circles below your game file just as there are for ever level. So if you get every kong piece and puzzle piece, then those symbols will appear below your file. Likewise, your lowest time trial medal will also appear there once you've gotten a medal on every one. Fully completed file will be XXX%, KONG symbol, puzzle symbol, and shiny gold medal symbol. Never going to even try for that last one, though :lol

totowhoa

Banned
JohnB said:
Oh if only there was an option to give you extra health if you're 41!

I am so shite at this game it's taken me about half a dozen goes to get to the end of the first level.

Not world, level.

Perhaps I should play it stone-cold sober?

:D

Regards,
John

P.S. It's such a beautiful game aesthetically, isn't it?

I was drunk when I first played it, and I was HORRRIBLE. I'm still bad at the game if I'm intoxicated at all :lol If you still have problems while stone-cold sober, the game offers health bonuses you can buy for cheap. This includes either one extra heart (so, 3 or 5 depending on whether or not you have Diddy) or ten free hits. Extra heart lasts for one level no matter how many times you die via bottomless pit or otherwise. Ten extra hits lasts only one life, one level.

Oops, double post :(

Rez said:
did I do something wrong?

Creamium said:
you admit to being weaksauce :p the way i see it, if the devs didn't put a barrel anywhere, it was never their intention for you to beat that level with Diddy. See also most of the K stages.

no

PunjabiPlaya said:
You do realize that you don't have to finish a level with Diddy to get him for another level, right? You can just get Diddy and quit the level and you'll still have him...

correct

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
PunjabiPlaya said:
I never actually went back to get Diddy. I always just made do with DK, to be honest.

Maybe a stupid question but when you are on the tracks in the minecart time trials, can you improve your speed by doing anything like bouncing off enemies or is it moreso only on the parts when you aren't on the tracks that you can improve????

JoeFenix

Sklorenz said:
Not your % rate, but there are those circles below your game file just as there are for ever level. So if you get every kong piece and puzzle piece, then those symbols will appear below your file. Likewise, your lowest time trial medal will also appear there once you've gotten a medal on every one. Fully completed file will be XXX%, KONG symbol, puzzle symbol, and shiny gold medal symbol. Never going to even try for that last one, though :lol

There's also a fourth medal for Mirror mode on your main profile.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Beating 4-3 Bombs Away by myself was both my single greatest gaming feat and my single most embarrassing. Fuck you super guide!

Dr.Hadji

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Maybe a stupid question but when you are on the tracks in the minecart time trials, can you improve your speed by doing anything like bouncing off enemies or is it moreso only on the parts when you aren't on the tracks that you can improve????

The only thing I've found is, since the minecarts only start up when you are on them make sure you don't cut back in the air from cart to cart to save time.

Dr.Hadji said:
The only thing I've found is, since the minecarts only start up when you are on them make sure you don't cut back in the air from cart to cart to save time.

Yeah, sometimes my mind plays tricks on me and I am all over the place in the air trying to adjust to land on them.

Medalion

Banned
a lttp, I got my copy today after putting it off for a bit cuz I wasn't sure if I was gonna like this game... after playing just the first few stages, it brings all sorts of nostalgia when I played the snes versions, well done Retro Studios!

one_kill

Sklorenz said:
Thanks for the explanation. I probably won't go for the last one as well seeing how I'm only averaging silver medal times :lol

First off, I love this game. It's fantastic. One of the best platformers I've (ever) played.

Now, with that out of the way: the barrel levels are complete memorization bullshit. If it weren't for the super guide, I probably wouldn't have finished this game.

On the Hot Rocket level in particular, when I watched the super guide, I noticed there were parts that no one would even know was the solution until they had done it a few times. In the area with the fire dragons, for instance, the super guide actually shows that you have to go through and clip one of the tails of the dragons. Ok, cool. I wasn't aware that I could touch ANYTHING in these levels and not explode and now I'm required to touch an enemy?

On each of these levels, I found myself just wanting to get back to the awesome platforming and not have to deal with "trial-and-erroring" these damn barrels.

The mine cart levels were significantly better, because you could tell WHY you messed something up (even if it was last second). Sure there were some parts where I felt that memorization was the only way to do it, but it only took a few times and eventually, I could see what was going happen and react.

I've received all of the KONG's and puzzles on each level except for the barrel ones and it was a blast. Great game, but I at least hope that in a sequel, these levels are completely removed or redone.

JohnB

Sklorenz said:
I was drunk when I first played it, and I was HORRRIBLE. I'm still bad at the game if I'm intoxicated at all :lol If you still have problems while stone-cold sober, the game offers health bonuses you can buy for cheap. This includes either one extra heart (so, 3 or 5 depending on whether or not you have Diddy) or ten free hits. Extra heart lasts for one level no matter how many times you die via bottomless pit or otherwise. Ten extra hits lasts only one life, one level.

Oops, double post :(

Oh dear, I'll have to have a sober night then?

I am a Scot you know, so that's going to be tricky! :D

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Cheers,
JohnB

LevityNYC

Banned
Midway through level 5 here. The K levels are such a pain in the ass, but so satisfying when you beat them.

2 things. Rare got all sorts of shit for the Kremlings, but the enemy design in this game is very poor. At least the Kremlings had a certain look and personality to them. I swear one of the enemies in this game is the slime from the DQ games with teeth. The Tikis in this game are just musical instruments with eyes on them.

I liked the level variety from the Rare games better in terms of the settings. This game has you enter a Cave world and then you play nothing but cave levels and mine cart levels. You enter a beach world and then play all beach levels. Level 5 is a forest level and all you play are forest levels. I miss the randomness of the Rare worlds. One level you are in the water (noticeably absent from this game) and the next you were in a bee hive or on a snow mountain (also noticeably missing from this game).

Still game of the year... but still....

oracrest

DOO13ER said:
Finally got around to playing this some the past couple of days. It's kind of pointless but I love the sequences where you get to the beat the hell out of the tiki boss at the end of every world.

Don't you unlock gallery pieces for hitting them enough?

How is the multiplayer in this game? Is it similar to NSMBW in that it's still tons of fun when one person is good and the other isn't so good?

daakusedo

4-k shiny medal. I didn't try yet for the world 8 except the rocket and minecart levels cause they are quickly done in this mode, but this is probably one of the hardest. And the mirror was the same.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If you have a 3D TV that has a 2D->3D conversion feature I recommend trying this game out in 3D. It looks really nice and will give you a nice sense of what the 3DS will be like.

jarosh

The Lamonster said:
How is the multiplayer in this game? Is it similar to NSMBW in that it's still tons of fun when one person is good and the other isn't so good?
felt like an afterthought. game's too frantic and busy as it is. co-op wasn't much fun to me. especially later levels use a lot of crumbling and otherwise temporary platforms or rely on enemy head bopping to progress, so one player can easily get stuck/left behind. and there's no separate life counter, so when you both die it means losing 2 lives. ouch.

Nabs said:
world 7 has some awesome tracks

Yes it does!

Holy crap this game is hard! At least it is while playing w/ the girlfriend.

The rocket levels where you spam '2' over and over again can rot in hell.

jarosh said:
felt like an afterthought. game's too frantic and busy as it is. co-op wasn't much fun to me. especially later levels use a lot of crumbling and otherwise temporary platforms or rely on enemy head bopping to progress, so one player can easily get stuck/left behind. and there's no separate life counter, so when you both die it means losing 2 lives. ouch.

I play Donky & my girlfriend plays Diddy, Diddy seems OP to Donkey.

one_kill

I just finished the game including
9-1
. It would've been nice if the bonus level was a full-fledged world. They had some nice ideas for it so it's too bad they didn't get materialised in the final game.

I also did one mirror mode level. I decided to stop at 101% completion. I don't think I can do some of the levels without Diddy nor the use of inventory items.

Overall, I had a blast playing DKCR. I wasn't much of a DK fan prior to playing DKCR, but I sure am now. I definitely would like a sequel.

one_kill said:
I just finished the game including
9-1
. It would've been nice if the bonus level was a full-fledged world. They had some nice ideas for it so it's too bad they didn't get materialised in the final game.

I also did one mirror mode level. I decided to stop at 101% completion. I don't think I can do some of the levels without Diddy nor the use of inventory items.

Of course it's dependent on your skill level but you'd be surprised how much better you get at the game as far as the mirror mode is concerned.

I thought it'd be daunting without Diddy but the toughest part for me was "you can't get hit even once".

That said, I completed most of the levels in mirror mode and you really do better than the prospects in your head because you know the levels so well and have had tons of hours perfecting the execution.

Some of the K levels in mirror mode will be tough for me though(like "Jagged Jewels") and some of the later boss levels.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm stuck in World 4, on the Barrel Blast stage where there is a Giant Bat chasing you that shoots fireballs. I am guessing that is the final part of the level, but I can't seem to be able to dodge the fireballs.

KAL2006 said:
I'm stuck in World 4, on the Barrel Blast stage where there is a Giant Bat chasing you that shoots fireballs. I am guessing that is the final part of the level, but I can't seem to be able to dodge the fireballs.

Here's what I do there:

Go to the very top of the screen as he's about to get ready.

Then drop down near the bottom(as he shoots the blast), you can stay there for two of his next blasts.

Then go back up again and such.

Something like that but hard to explain.

Basically, it's easier for me that way because "zigzagging" up and down on each blast freaks me out and I end up panicking.

I didn't spoiler it because it's so confusing and likely unhelpful.

jarosh said:
i was gonna abandon this game after getting all the kong letters and pearls and play epic mickey instead. but now i'm almost kinda glad mickey turned out to be such a disaster. it made me go back to dkcr to get all the puzzle pieces. i thought it would be tedious as hell, but instead it just reaffirmed my love for the game and its brilliant level design. the stuff i really liked the first time around, i appreciate even more now. the forest (world 5) for example. it really is my favorite world. so much fantastic platforming, perfectly paced, ingeniously designed. it also seems to have the best music of all the worlds.

i'm sure my new, even stronger appreciation of the game has a lot to do with how familiar i am with the levels, the controls and the pacing. but something else plays into it: i don't ever stop anymore to blow on anything because i know i've gotten all the puzzle pieces from flowers etc. this might sound like a minor complaint, but i think the blowing is the single most distracting and counterproductive mechanic in the game. it's a nice gimmick in theory and i like some of its applications, but it really hinders the flow of the game and just gets in the way. unlike the stomping, which is both immediate in how it's used - despite having to come to a halt - and visceral and forceful in its effect on the world, the blowing is cumbersome in execution and often has a delayed and slow, almost gradual impact impact on its subject. this is at odds with the game's frantic pace, its vigorous and energetic protagonists and the weighty physics, all of which are accompanied by the equally intense but sharp sound design. yes, why indeed is no one talking about the brilliant sound design in this game? too much attention is focused on the somewhat disappointing music.

i have also finally found enjoyment in world 4, which all of a sudden seemed much less frustrating: the mine cart levels were... fun! looking for the missing puzzle pieces now seemed like a brisk and almost cheerful task. i didn't die much anymore and avoiding the cruely placed obstacles felt satisfying and easy even.

and let me close by re-iterating one more time how gorgeous dkcr is, how fantastic the art, how charming and almost flawless the entire visual aspect of the game. retro has some of the most amazing artists in the industry. the unlocked artwork from the puzzle pieces really drive this point home!

Jarosh, I love you.

You nailed it. All of it. Superb level design, creativity in abundance and wonderful artistic and sound design, marred slightly by some forgettable music and the blowing mechanic (and maybe a few minor design quirks here and there if you're picky).

And the Forest really is amazing. The quality from area to area is pretty damn consistent, but there's definitely a flow and feel to the Forest levels that seperates it from the rest.

Haunted

jarosh said:
Yeah, that's so damn brutal.

A friend and I were carelessly monkeying around and lost like 40 lives in mere minutes.

KevinCow

Banned
The weirdest thing about co-op is how it takes a life to summon a balloon after you die. Even if your partner misses the balloon, it uses a life.

Actually, it occurs to me that this means each death is essentially two lives. One life lost with the balloon, another life lost when you actually die.

I enjoyed co-op. It's not as good as NSMBW, that's pretty obvious, but it's still good fun throughout most of the game. There are times though when it makes a lot more sense for Diddy to just hop on Donkey's back. These tends to be the K levels and anything with crumbling platforms. The former because it's hard, the latter because things get too busy and you tend to lose your awareness of your positioning.

Other times it actually improves the experience though. The game is really interactive which helps, in fact I actually think the Beach area is better in co-op, but that's probably the only one that comes to mind. It's a single-player experience for sure but it's far from broken in co-op, which is in itself a pretty good achievement. And it still looks the same/runs at 60fps which is just phenomenal given how much shit is going on.

It also makes coins mean something. Way too many are handed out in this game and go unused. But in co-op you lose so many freakin' lives so you end up buying a lot more balloons.

KevinCow

Banned
I finally hacked my Wii so I could implement the Classic Controller support. Put the code in, got it working, and it definitely makes the game play a bit better. I'm still not happy with how the roll doesn't activate during certain frames of animation, though.

Is there any way to put roll on ZR instead of R? I assume it would just require changing one line of the code since the two codes posted earlier in this thread differ by only one line, but how would I figure out what to change that line to?

Top Bottom