• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

I think Autumn Heights might be the most varied "world" in a platformer ever. It has a Rambi level, a minecart level, a rocketbarrel level, a zipline level, a music based level... The variety is simply incredible. I still think Juicy Jungle is my favorite due the challenge, absurdity, and the uniqueness of blending the industrial with the organic, but Autumn Heights is not far behind.

Neiteio

I think Autumn Heights might be the most varied "world" in a platformer ever. It has a Rambi level, a minecart level, a rocketbarrel level, a zipline level, a music based level... The variety is simply incredible. I still think Juicy Jungle is my favorite due the challenge, absurdity, and the uniqueness of blending the industrial with the organic, but Autumn Heights is not far behind.
Autumn Heights is probably my favorite world in TF. In addition to the Rambi level, music-based level, minecart (and
flume
) level, rocketbarrel level, and zipline level, you also have a blast barrel level, a foreground-to-background level (2-5), possibly the most popular K-level, and one of my favorite bosses. Also, it all kicks off with a great pure platforming level in 2-1. The only thing missing from Autumn Heights are the swimming levels -- if I'm not mistaken, there's not a single swimming sequence in World 2.

Autumn Heights is probably my favorite world in TF. In addition to the Rambi level, music-based level, minecart (and
flume
) level, rocketbarrel level, and zipline level, you also have a blast barrel level, a foreground-to-background level (2-5), possibly the most popular K-level, and one of my favorite bosses. Also, it all kicks off with a great pure platforming level in 2-1. The only thing missing from Autumn Heights are the swimming levels -- if I'm not mistaken, there's not a single swimming sequence in World 2.

Nope no swimming level (no swimming on islands 3 or 6 either)... You could also say it has no silhouette level. I never really thought of Rodent Ruckus as a barrel blasting level, though it definitely has a decent amount and was one of the levels that to me most resembled DKC of old. But yeah I can easily understand those who love this island most (honestly I could understand making an argument for any of them). As a side note, it felt like the game was a bit short on barrel blasting action compared to DKCR. Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly though.

Only up to world 3 but man its....its so good. Even after liking DKCR and thinking it was really great...I don't think I was ready for how amazing this is.

My noob friend that stopped playing SM3DW with me is addicted and playing it with me too. I wouldn't have thought that would happen since the DKC games are so hard. But it just sucks you in. I gotta play more obviously, but I would rate this very high if this pace of enjoyment keeps up.

And I don't see why it wouldn't. The complaints I see are about swimming and rocket barrels mostly, and I enjoyed the rocket barrels in DKCR a lot. I've only been underwater a little bit, but I thought the movement was really cool? Maybe I'll think differently when there is some tricky underwater platforming later.

I'm a big, big Metroid fan, who never ever thought I would want this, but... DKCR Trilogy is sounding pretty good to me right now.

You know what i could use right about now?

A white Tanooki suit.....

This game is slaying me from all sides!
The last time i died this much and still kept on playing was with Unreal Tournament !

Oh god, I spent two hours on the final boss and I thought the game froze after the part where you punch him. I think it was loading the final cutscene. I would have been so pissed if I had to do that again. Great game though. That was the only part I really stuggled on but it felt good to kick his ass.

Neiteio

Nope no swimming level (no swimming on islands 3 or 6 either)... You could also say it has no silhouette level. I never really thought of Rodent Ruckus as a barrel blasting level, though it definitely has a decent amount and was one of the levels that to me most resembled DKC of old. But yeah I can easily understand those who love this island most (honestly I could understand making an argument for any of them). As a side note, it felt like the game was a bit short on barrel blasting action compared to DKCR. Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly though.
You mean Crumble Cavern. Rodent Ruckus is the rocketbarrel level. Crumble Cavern is what I'd consider a barrel-blasting level (it comprises about a third of the stage).

The_Dude

Did anyone else think
you had to catch the falling bananas on the moving platform after the first checkpoint in 5-1 to get a puzzle piece?
I must've tried about 30 times to do it and when I finally did? NOTHING!

Endgame/beyond spoilers:

World 7-1 can bite my shiny metal ass. "Hey, here's a level with no platforms OH WAIT THERE'S A PLATFORM. QUICK OH SHIT IT'S GONE. HEY, here's a BUNCH OF platforms that are JUST big enough for DK to fit..oh..and they juggle...and there's spike balls...and the end of the level is right off screen but you can't touch it. Ha. Ha. See. We love you, signed Retro.

The level design in this game is top notch. Completely forgoing talking about how the levels visually segue from one to the next (or, within themselves, even, like in Alpine Incline etc.), but just..some of the platforming in the -K levels and other levels is absolutely, positively, perfect. Some people probably spent weeks making sure certain platforms where not one pixel to the left or right more than what they wanted. Absolutely thrilling.

Am I in the minority in thinking World 5 is the weakest? I love the idea behind it, but I was expecting something more along the lines of Gourmand Land from Rayman Origins (my absolute favorite food-themed world in a platformer). The music in World 5 is the weakest, too, imo.

Neiteio

Did anyone else think
you had to catch the falling bananas on the moving platform after the first checkpoint in 5-1 to get a puzzle piece?
That's the one with the dispenser, right? Alternates between banana bunches and durians? I just went ahead and figured I'd come back to it if I didn't find everything elsewhere.

The_Dude

That's the one with the dispenser, right? Alternates between banana bunches and durians? I just went ahead and figured I'd come back to it if I didn't find everything elsewhere.
That's the one. Wish I'd done the same! Could've at least given me a coin.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I just finished 3-3 Frantic Fields... To those not praising this games level design, are we playing the same game? What were your expectations. It feels brilliant to me.

chronosic

Friggin Squawks! Brought him with me to try and find the last puzzle piece in level 4-1, and the dumb bird didn't do jack squat for me.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just started World 3. I love how the stage feels alive, and the music is just out of this world.

The minecart levels and bosses seem significantly improved from DKCR. Other than a few very small issues (I hate holding a button down to grip, and lack of animals), this game is absolutely amazing. Cranky is a blast. No clue how it scored weaker than it's predecessor. Retro have still got it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm at world 4.
World 3 was AMAZING, even my wife loved it.
I think that this could REALLY be the best 2.5d sidescrolling platform of all time. seriously.

Kurtofan

French charts :D

01 (NE) WIU DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: TROPICAL FREEZE (NINTENDO)
02 (03) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (01) PS3 LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)
04 (__) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
05 (04) 3DS INAZUMA ELEVEN 3: LES OGRES ATTAQUENT (NINTENDO)

Business

Between this and 3D World (and MK8 incomming) I'm so close to pull the trigger for a WiiU... I'll see if I can wait until E3 and a price drop makes it all easier to swallow.

Kouriozan

I did my part :p

Nicktendo86

Man, just noticed that there are 24 reviews for this on Amazon.co.uk, all of them are 5*!

So guys, I am getting a £25 amazon voucher soon and I have whittled down my options to spend it on either; Super Mario Bros WiiU, a WiiU pro controller or DKTF. Would you say DK would be a good buy?

Man, just noticed that there are 24 reviews for this on Amazon.co.uk, all of them are 5*!

So guys, I am getting a £25 amazon voucher soon and I have whittled down my options to spend it on either; Super Mario Bros WiiU, a WiiU pro controller or DKTF. Would you say DK would be a good buy?
DKTF + pro controller.

The minecart levels and bosses seem significantly improved from DKCR.

Bosses absolutely, but I think you need to go back and play the mine cart levels from DKCR... 4-3 and 6-2 in particular. Plus the fact that DKCR had double the amount of mine cart levels that TF does, Returns easily has the edge in this regard. It's a shame too because the
that TF DOES have are all fantastic.

Am I in the minority in thinking World 5 is the weakest? I love the idea behind it, but I was expecting something more along the lines of Gourmand Land from Rayman Origins (my absolute favorite food-themed world in a platformer). The music in World 5 is the weakest, too, imo.

Yes, but I've heard a few people on here say they weren't too big on it. It's my personal favorite though.

Did anyone else think

I did the same thing. It took me FOREVER to find the last piece... I almost had to resort to using Sqwaks, but found it on my own in the end.

MegalonJJ

Banned
This game is amazing. Eclipses 3D World for me. Only up to the end of world of 3 but the challenge, music and the richness in the overall presentation is just so superb and satisfying.

-Setsuna-

France, terre de raffinement et de bon goût. :)

Mr Rivuz

Just finished, probably my favourite game on WiiU and one of the best platformer i ever played, now i'm trying to get the gold medals in time trials. Watching the replays i saw people breaking barrels while rolling, without picking them up. How do they do it?

Nia

I got to Amiss Abyss yesterday, and being an ocean and sea creature lover, that stage made the game go from good to great for me. I was surprised to see how many creatures they put in there, from Sea Anemones to Brittle Stars. Retro is always fantastic at level design.

Just beat 5-K. Love all the K levels but Bopopolis clearly is the most memorable. I also encountered my first glitch. In 5-B, the roll/ground pound button wasn't working for a solid minute and neither was it registering my boosted jumps off enemies. I pressed any and all buttons and the only commands that would work was run and jump until a minute later roll started working again and I rolled off the cliff.

World 4> World 2> World 6=World 3> World 5> World 1

Neiteio

I got to Amiss Abyss yesterday, and being an ocean and sea creature lover, that stage made the game go from good to great for me. I was surprised to see how many creatures they put in there, from Sea Anemones to Brittle Stars. Retro is always fantastic at level design.
Yeah, Amiss Abyss is packed with underwater imagery -- the sea anemone and brittle stars, like you mentioned, but also the kelp forests, whales, seahorses, shipwrecks, a submarine, etc. Amazing art, even by this game's incredibly high standards. :)

Cally me crazy, but I even like the swimming controls now. Sure you have to learn them the hard way because they are so different from most games, but when they click they click. And in contrary to my initial comment, I think digital works extremely well for swimming. Won't go back to analog.

Edit: One thing I still don't get is what the special co-op attack does and how it re-charges.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cally me crazy, but I even like the swimming controls now. Sure you have to learn them the hard way because they are so different from most games, but when they click they click. And in contrary to my initial comment, I think digital works extremely well for swimming. Won't go back to analog.

Edit: One thing I still don't get is what the special co-op attack does and how it re-charges.

I didn't get the swimming controls at first either, but when I took a moment to figure them out, I was like "wait a minute... these are perfect." You have way more precision than you usually do in platformer underwater segments. Crazy.

As for the co-op attack... I didn't use it at all, but I think all it does is clear all the enemies on the screen, and you recharge it by collecting bananas.

Gsnap

I didn't get the swimming controls at first either, but when I took a moment to figure them out, I was like "wait a minute... these are perfect." You have way more precision than you usually do in platformer underwater segments. Crazy.

As for the co-op attack... I didn't use it at all, but I think all it does is clear all the enemies on the screen, and you recharge it by collecting bananas.

The swimming controls are great. Being able to dash, swim normally, and swim quickly, as well as the different abilities the partners give you, give you a lot of motility options underwater. Being able to cancel the dash attack by pressing the swim button can help you avoid running into walls, which happens a lot if you only dash attack. DK's ability to change direction instantly by just flicking in the opposite direction (I use the analogue stick) is also incredibly useful. I've gotten into and out of several sticky situations without a scratch because the controls are just that good.

Jackano

I will just drop my quick advice on DKCTF and not really go further because I actually don't like it!

It's not the first time I fall in the donkey trap: DK64 came and gave me a 3D platformer/collectathon overdose after SM64 and Banjo; DKCR came and it wasn't quiet for me because I'm not into the hard, timed gameplay, gave me the hate of minecarts but, I enjoyed it until close to the end thanks to co-op.

Outside just knowing DK is not for me, I have two cons who can be true bad points for the game:
- The game is beautiful and for what I saw (not much), the game design doesn't offers enough contemplative places where you can play and relax and enjoy the game visually. You have to rush and concentrate on the obstacles merely from the beginning of the game. Giving the top animation and everything in the backgrounds, it's a waste of life.
- And, outside being a hard game, I feel it is hard in a wrong way. War of attrition is not fun, at least to me, at least not as much as DKCTF promise to be: I get my ass kick on 2-2. Spending 10-15 balloon in the last two Rambi screens is rewarding when you finally beat it by chance, but the stress of the 9-14 fails remains. DKCR was better balanced, and the war of attrition in the early worlds was just for the mine cart levels, iirc my own playthrought.

tl,dr; I see it's a good game but too hard for me and moreover hard in a wrong way to me. Get me even angrier it got greenlight before more key franchises for the Wii U.

Mlatador

Banned

Here are some tips for the swimming controls: If you continue pressing A underwater, you're character will do a breast-stroke, which is great if you want to swimm slower.

Using Y or shacking will propell you forward much faster (it's basically like rolling underwater)

If you swimm in one direction and have gained momentum, but want to turn quickly, just press the opposite direction. However, that usually takes a couple of millisenconds, maybe even a second, so it's best do not press any button during that animation because then you'll thrust forward and that might get you into drouble.

Holding A with Diddy will activate his jetpack underwater, which will accelearte him greatly. However, only for a short time. When the animation is finished, you have to press an hold A again in order to accelerate again. Long holding A, releasing, long holding A... and so on.

Holding A with Dixi will actiavate her hair-propeller and accelerate you forward. This should be commonly known.

Rolling ON water is also possible.

Ah thanks! Yes, pretty useless, I'm definitely not using that.

The swimming controls are great. Being able to dash, swim normally, and swim quickly, as well as the different abilities the partners give you, give you a lot of motility options underwater. Being able to cancel the dash attack by pressing the swim button can help you avoid running into walls, which happens a lot if you only dash attack. DK's ability to change direction instantly by just flicking in the opposite direction (I use the analogue stick) is also incredibly useful. I've gotten into and out of several sticky situations without a scratch because the controls are just that good.

Ou, I did not know about the cancel ability, good to know!

Here are some tips for the swimming controls: If you continue pressing A underwater, you're character will do a breast-stroke, which is great if you want to swimm slower.

Using Y or shacking will propell you forward much faster (it's basically like rolling underwater)

If you swimm in one direction and have gained momentum, but want to turn quickly, just press the opposite direction. However, that usually takes a couple of millisenconds, maybe even a second, so it's best do not press any button during that animation because then you'll thrust forward and that might get you into drouble.

Holding A with Diddy will activate his jetpack underwater, which will accelearte him greatly. However, only for a short time. When the animation is finished, you have to press an hold A again in order to accelerate again. Long holding A, releasing, long holding A... and so on.

Holding A with Dixi will actiavate her hair-propeller and accelerate you forward. This should be commonly known.

Rolling ON water is also possible.

Thanks man. I found out most of this over time, I really love the depth in the controls.

emb

- The game is beautiful and for what I saw (not much), the game design doesn't offers enough contemplative places where you can play and relax and enjoy the game visually. You have to rush and concentrate on the obstacles merely from the beginning of the game. Giving the top animation and everything in the backgrounds, it's a waste of life.
- And, outside being a hard game, I feel it is hard in a wrong way. War of attrition is not fun, at least to me, at least not as much as DKCTF promise to be: I get my ass kick on 2-2. Spending 10-15 balloon in the last two Rambi screens is rewarding when you finally beat it by chance, but the stress of the 9-14 fails remains. DKCR was better balanced, and the war of attrition in the early worlds was just for the mine cart levels, iirc my own playthrough.
First point: Yeah, there are lots of parts that chase you or force you to move forward quickly, but there are just as many parts where you can go at your own pace from obstacle to obstacle (usually closer to the start of levels). Water levels (there's a world with several of them at one point) are a good example of beautiful scenery that you usually have time to take in (though those are the weakest sections of gameplay, imo)

Second point: I think this falls under (new) DKC just not being for you. It's very trial and error sometimes though, and I can definitely understand how it isn't appealing to everyone. I can relate to games just being too hard as well; sometimes it just feels like you're banging your head against the obstacle, hoping to get lucky. I don't get it with this game, but I do see where you're coming from.

Taxman

So after beating the game and the secret stuff, my thoughts:
+Beautiful
+Amazing Soundtrack
+Wonderful creativity in level design
+Amazing Fun
-Criminally lacking in minecart levels
3/10

oracrest

Bobopolis. My hands are shaking. What a level.

Through the first four worlds I was a bit disappointed because it didn't seem like TF expanded the DKCR formula as much as DKC2 did for DKC. But all the instant classics in the last two worlds put me in a better mindset. These levels are just too fun for me to worry about other things I was hoping to see. I'm having a blast doubling back for missed KONG letters.

I spent hours on this level. the hardest one for me of the whole game. Afterwards, I decided to try my hand at a time attack. I came in at around 1:33. I thought it was pretty good until I uploaded it (to ranking #104, and then #111 the next morning) and looked at the top speed run. Then I went to bed.

Top Bottom