• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Neiteio

The part right after this part:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlMGAUbSQ
http://imgur.com/XpTbINv

It seems like its probably right at the end of the level. I have the rest of the level down pat. Just not sure what to do at this point...
Pound the wall to destroy the Lemmington as it rolls toward you.

Or alternatively... I saw this in a speed run... Immediately take a leap of faith to the right when you reach that part -- the blast barrel is nestled offscreen in the snow and will catch you.

Deku Tree

Pound the wall to destroy the Lemmington as it rolls toward you.

Or alternatively... I saw this in a speed run... Immediately take a leap of faith to the right when you reach that part -- the blast barrel is nestled offscreen in the snow and will catch you.

I can do the rest of the level flawlessly almost every time. I keep dying at this spot if I do the ground pound then the rocks crumble to my death. Been doing this part for over 45 min now....

Gsnap

I can do the rest of the level flawlessly almost every time. I keep dying at this spot if I do the ground pound then the rocks crumble to my death. Been doing this part for over 45 min now....

If you can do it flawlessly up until that part, and you're having trouble timing the ground pound, then can't you just tank the hit from the guy and keep moving since you should, theoretically, have enough hearts?

I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm confused as to why you're having trouble. I'd help more, but I'm not understanding the problem.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I mean, there's not a single doubt in my mind that this is a better game than Mario 3D World... and I loved Mario 3D World.

Will it lead to improved sales or any sort of change in the WiiU's reputation? Probably not. But I'm sure as shit glad it got made.

its something I've been thinkin about: why does TF leave a bigger impression than 3DW? probably because the game has that "heavy" feeling with a challenging difficulty and much more densely packed levels. The feeling is that 3DW came and went away like Quicksilver having an orgasm: you play it, devour it and finish it quickly, but its weird since game's got a good lenght. it's the way the gameplay is structured: TF is intense, 3DW is a speedblitz. And fucking David Wise of course plays a big part in it

Bobopolis. My hands are shaking. What a level.

Through the first four worlds I was a bit disappointed because it didn't seem like TF expanded the DKCR formula as much as DKC2 did for DKC. But all the instant classics in the last two worlds put me in a better mindset. These levels are just too fun for me to worry about other things I was hoping to see. I'm having a blast doubling back for missed KONG letters.

Andrew.

Banned
It'd be cool if you could sell your items back. I've got a dozen each of green and blue balloons and haven't used any of them.

oatmeal

Banned
Long boss fights are a nuisance.

This game is making a believer out of me. I only bought it because of the Best Buy deal...but damn it's inventive. The levels start with one thing and by the half way point it's completely different.

Pretty remarkable.

its something I've been thinkin about: why does TF leave a bigger impression than 3DW? probably because the game has that "heavy" feeling with a challenging difficulty and much more densely packed levels. The feeling is that 3DW came and went away like Quicksilver having an orgasm: you play it, devour it and finish it quickly, but its weird since game's got a good lenght. it's the way the gameplay is structured: TF is intense, 3DW is a speedblitz. And fucking David Wise of course plays a big part in it

I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like more. I think part of the reason I want to give the nod to 3D World is because I was disappointed in both Galaxy 2 and 3D Land (very good games but didn't reach the greatness of Galaxy for me) and felt 3D World was a return to form for EAD Tokyo. But DKCR is in my top three 2D platformers of all time, so there wasn't really much to improve on that game other than boss fights, which they did, but I still think I like Returns slightly more than TF. It doesn't really matter too much though because the Wii U has several great games now and even if nothing else was ever released for it I wouldn't be disappointed in my purchase.

Andrew.

Banned
I prefer my 2D/3D platformers to more or less throw me into the shit almost immediately, especially when it's a familiar series where the developer automatically understands that most players will already know the basic mechanics. TF is a game that doesnt treat its players like an idiot. Instead, it tests and rewards them brilliantly.

I love 3D World, but the slow burn of difficulty (for me anyways, the game didnt increase challenge until post main game) is a turn off when compared to DK. It looks amazing as well, but it doesnt hold a candle to the amount of detail (texture wise etc) that DK does. The soundtrack to 3D World is great, but really, compared to the work Wise composed here, DK just completely annihilates it in my opinion. (Along with any other game soundtrack of at least the past decade) I mean we're talking music that you shouldnt be hearing in some pseudo kiddie looking platformer. I mean the shit is just too masterfully epic for its own good.

I love my 3D World. LOVE IT.

But Tropical Freeze takes a humongous dump on it.

Deku Tree

I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like more. I think part of the reason I want to give the nod to 3D World is because I was disappointed in both Galaxy 2 and 3D Land (very good games but didn't reach the greatness of Galaxy for me) and felt 3D World was a return to form for EAD Tokyo. But DKCR is in my top three 2D platformers of all time, so there wasn't really much to improve on that game other than boss fights, which they did, but I still think I like Returns slightly more than TF. It doesn't really matter too much though because the Wii U has several great games now and even if nothing else was ever released for it I wouldn't be disappointed in my purchase.

Were still expecting Mario Kart, Smash, Bayonetta 2, hopefully Zelda, etc too.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I love TF. But I love 3DW a lot more. 3DW has tons more stages and more variety than TF. Plus the difficulty is better in 3DW IMO.

Depends what you like in your games. 3DWorld doesn't really build a world. Each area is pretty independent of each other. DK on the other hand tries to build a somewhat realized world with each island. Most levels tied into each other. 3D World's are significantly smaller than DK's, but to make up for it there are significantly more.

In short: DK tells a story over the course of the game. Mario 3D World does not.

Gsnap

I definitely like TF more than 3D World. Some people will tell me I shouldn't compare them because one is 2D and one is 3D, but honestly, I don't think that's a distinct enough difference considering 3D Worlds attempts to merge 2D and 3D, unlike Mario 64 or Sunshine which fully embraced their 3D-ness.

I think TF establishes a much more interesting world and is just as creative as 3D World despite having to fit within certain themes. 3D World threw themes out the window in order to have more levels, but I don't feel like that game's creativity is miles ahead of TF because of it.

3D World was really good, but it had a "bite-sized" nature to it that made it fun in the moment. I don't feel I will remember it as fondly in the future.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I think you're definitely on to something there. For me, what sticks out is that the levels in Tropical Freeze have a better sense of place to them. In 3D World, it feels like they designed the challenges they wanted to have first, and then came up with the environment. That would explain why in the desert area, for example, there are maybe 2 levels that even involve the desert. Here... the experience feels more tied to the area where you are. I've been replaying through levels in world 4, and the way these levels tend to progress, with you being on the land for part of it and underwater for other parts, with the music changing accordingly... each level feels like its own story, in a way. Look at the
tornado level
in world 3. You
start off on the ground with mini tornados spinning around you, and by the end, you're actually running across platforms in that tornado
. There's a real feeling of progression here, which is something that was lacking from Mario 3D World.

And obviously, David Wise kicks all kinds of ass here.

I'm not ready to wade into the direct comparisons game, but I would like to say that in a little over a year on the market, Wii U now has:

(1) The best 2D Mario (or two of the best five, if you choose to split off New Super Luigi);
(2) A top-tier 3D Mario (with 4P co-op that makes it a pretty different value proposition from almost any other 3D platformer);
(3) Probably the best Donkey Kong game ever;
(4) The best Rayman game (that has the misfortune of being good rather than great on a system full of GOAT contenders).

It's been a good time for those of us who love the genre.

Sendou

I'm not ready to wade into the direct comparisons game, but I would like to say that in a little over a year on the market, Wii U now has:

(1) The best 2D Mario (or two of the best five, if you choose to split off New Super Luigi);
(2) A top-tier 3D Mario (with 4P co-op that makes it a pretty different value proposition from almost any other 3D platformer);
(4) The best Rayman game (that has the misfortune of being good rather than great on a system full of GOAT contenders).

Exactly this. Good console to have when you love platformers.

Danny Dudekisser

I'd also add "best puzzle platformer" for Mighty Switch Force HD, which far too people have actually played.

Lookin' at my GotY list from last year, I would probably put TF right behind SM3DW, but above other great games like LttP2 and Metal Gear Rising. I think 3D World just impressed me more probably because 3D Land was so...whatever...and DKCR was so good, that TF wasn't that big of a leap.

And say what you will about the challenge levels of the game, there wasn't a single section of Tropical Freeze as challenging or satisfying as finally beating Champion's Road with Mario, no power-ups, all 3 green stars. 2-K comes the closet, but its really not even in the same ballpark, personally.

Neiteio

Speaking of 2-K, the delightfully named "Bopopolis," I can play that shit all day. It took me like 30+ tries to beat it the first time, but now I'm returning to it to farm Banana Coins and I find myself "doing it in one," as Jeff Green would say in his Dark Souls livestream. At first you feel like there's only one right way to do the level -- you think you have to hit just about every platform and every enemy to make it across -- but then you watch the speed runs where people skip half of the enemies and platforms, and you realize there's a great deal of flexibility in how you approach it. It's a laser-focused level with no slow or fiddly bits like the underwater wall of 3D World's Champion Road. Just nonstop rhythm and flow. You feel godly when you're three-fourths of the way through the level and you've survived long enough to hear DK Swing crescendo to the main melody.

Mlatador

Banned

Soon it will also have the best Kart Racing Game ever.

Then we'll have to see if Bayonetta 2 is gonna be the best 3rd Person Action Game ever.

2014 is gonna be an interesting year for sure.

Danny Dudekisser

Speaking of 2-K, the delightfully named "Bopopolis," I can play that shit all day. It took me like 30+ tries to beat it the first time, but now I'm returning to it to farm Banana Coins and I find myself "doing it in one," as Jeff Green would say in his Dark Souls livestream. At first you feel like there's only one right way to do the level -- you think you have to hit just about every platform and every enemy to make it across -- but then you watch the speed runs where people skip half of the enemies and platforms, and you realize there's a great deal of flexibility in how you approach it. It's a laser-focused level with no slow or fiddly bits like the underwater wall of 3D World's Champion Road. Just nonstop rhythm and flow. You feel godly when you're three-fourths of the way through the level and you've survived long enough to hear DK Swing crescendo to the main melody.

Yeah, that level was pretty sublime. There were times I died playing through it where I just laughed, pointed at the screen, and said "you clever son of a bitch."

Salih

So i finally got 100% (all KONG letters, puzzles) and i still need to unlock 7 new artworks. I read that
you get one artwork for every world beaten on very hard.
So i did that with the first world and still didn't get a new artwork. Anyone know why?

Neff

Wii U's killer app?

I think so. More so than 3D World.

10. Pikmin 3 (although I haven't finished it yet)
9. Wind Waker HD
8. Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
7. ZombiU
6. Sonic Lost World
5. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
4. Super Mario 3D World
3. Wonderful 101
2. Wonderful 101
1. WONDERFUL 101

Soon it will also have the best Kart Racing Game ever.

My main thing with Mario Kart...is it gonna have any single player modes worth a damn or its just gonna be Grand Prix and Time Trials again?

Because after CTR, DKR, and Sonic Transformed I really wish they'd step it up in that regard

PXyAjBW.jpg

What should I play this game with?

Just started playing the game today.

Why the hell are the load times so fuckin' atrocious? Holy hell.

But man, is it great so far. Only in World 1, so I hope there's some more awesome stuff to come.

I can't help but feel what few things I found to be missing in 3D World I've found here in Tropical Freeze.
Music feeling a touch pedestrian after the grandeur of Galaxy? well we've got David Wise doing what Wise does best.
3D worlds stages often have no real sense of place being like boxy dioramas shoved in the clouds with vague scenery elements (yeah I'm still irked by how the Bowser's carnival thing never lived up to its map appearance), meanwhile TF has scenic progression across stages entwining the stage obstacles with the environment, visual storytelling meets fantastic platforming.
Some 3D World stages felt reigned in by the need to compensate for multiple players, DK meanwhile gives no fucks for the second player, of course conversely 3D World's multiplayer dances all over DK's.
I don't think I need to point out difficulty level comparisons here, while I'd agree that nothing in TF comes close to Champions Road that doesn't mean much to me when everything that isn't Champions Road was easily handled, a step back from Galaxy 2 here.

Regardless of this when it comes down to it the gap in quality between the two is small, either way it's a win for platforming fans and two of the very best in either characters respective line ups.

Pretty much, I feel Rayman could attain its peak in this current form if they give it one more swing building off Legend's improved physics, streamlined lum nabbing and then simply dial back on the Murfy stuff while raising the difficulty a bit more, and by dial back Murfy I mean he becomes the equivalent to NSMBU block placer mode and nothing more.
But that's another matter entirely.

I'd be able to compare like everyone else if I could, you know, finish the game.

And you will, I believe.

My main thing with Mario Kart...is it gonna have any single player modes worth a damn or its just gonna be Grand Prix and Time Trials again?

Because after CTR, DKR, and Sonic Transformed I really wish they'd step it up in that regard
It's a Mario Kart game, you already know the answer to that.
Actually they could have mission mode again but for some reason that feature got jettisoned into the Nintendo vault after MK Wii's shoddy weekly challenge implementation of it.

My main thing with it is more that with it being the fourth game heavily following the foundation of the GOAT MK game that was the DS entry that things are feeling a little tired here, like NSMBU levels of knowing what to expect.

Neiteio

Hey Dax, if you're still struggling with 6-4, try equipping three Crash Guards at once. Then you would have effectively five hits, if I'm not mistaken.

Hard mode Deep Keep, Amiss Abyss, Current Capers, Slippy Spikes all took me way more tries than Champion's Road with tanooki. Yeah I'm weak sauce for using tanooki, but it's not like 3D World has a legit mode that disallows it.

jnWake

I think I like DK more than 3DWorld so far. Mainly because of the music and the speed focus of the game, seriously the leaderboards turned this into a very replayable game for me. Something as simple as watching replays adds a lot to the game.

Yuterald

Just finished Amiss Abyss for the first time. Cool level, but I was disappointed it used the same music as Deep Keep. Was expecting to be blown away by the stage/music after seeing so many people talk about how great of a level it was. So far, the game peaked for me in the Savannah (specifically the moment I played Scorch N' Torch).

Koren

Unlocked hard mode at last...

2 quick questions:
- do you earn something by collecting all puzzle pieces (besides images)?
- do you need to collect letters in hard mode?

PXyAjBW.jpg

What should I play this game with?
Depends on your control choice. I prefer using D-pad, so I find the U pad more confortable (and I'm playing the game on the U-pad, anyway). I may have choose the Wii classic pad, but I don't like the D-pad/buttons placement the pad pro.

Hard mode Deep Keep, Amiss Abyss, Current Capers, Slippy Spikes all took me way more tries than Champion's Road with tanooki. Yeah I'm weak sauce for using tanooki, but it's not like 3D World has a legit mode that disallows it.
Don't you lose shiny stars by using tanooki suit?

I'd say that the difficulty is lower in Mario 3D World simply by the fact that the worse level (last one) is shorter than DK Ones. And it's one level vs many...

EVH

So guys, as this game is obviously better than the latest New Mario and 3D World, do you think that Miyamoto will get jealous again because of the Donkey Kong games? :p

Top Bottom