• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Codeblue

I just got into it and cleared the first world. It's a ton of fun, and I'm liking it more than Returns, which I loved. Top tier platformer for sure.

The music has gotten a ton of praise, but I feel compelled to add to it. Canopy Chaos is such a great track. Can wait to listen to the rest of the game.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
these water levels are damn hard for me, I can see myself replaying them ad nauseam for puzzle pieces. Just finished 4-1 with only 2 found...and just the O letter

ibz3COABL0tuyc.gif

Kriken

Been a while since I played (Busy weekend and such) but I beat the level 4 boss with relatively no challenge (Read: lucky shot) and after playing the first 3 levels of world 5, I can only laugh harder at the Kotaku guy for calling the game trial-and-error platforming

these water levels are damn hard for me, I can see myself replaying them ad nauseam for puzzle pieces. Just finished 4-1 with only 2 found...and just the O letter

ibz3COABL0tuyc.gif

That's pretty much when the game started getting real hard for me. I liked the levels and the swimming controls but it was just so hard!

Taichu

Got my copy today. Do the sound effects seem muted to anyone else? I can barely hear the sounds DK makes, even after adjusting the sound effect and music options.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Got my copy today. Do the sound effects seem muted to anyone else? I can barely hear the sounds DK makes, even after adjusting the sound effect and music options.

I'm guessing you have your WiiU set up to output in 5.1 when you only have it hooked up to TV/stereo speakers, or something along those lines. In such a case, you're not going to be hearing the sounds that are designed to come out of the center speaker, which would be the sounds DK makes.

Neiteio

Can we all talk about how great the splash screen (start up screen) music is. Goddamnit that is queueing you that this game is gonna be something!
With the women singing "Dooon-keeey Koooooong?" That's actually lifted from the end of Grassland Groove, if you wait for the music to finish instead of hitting the goal barrel right away.

Got to the end credits and I was so happy to hear that sax. When the flute version was leaked I had said that song would work be better with the sax and I was right.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Going through the music, I'm getting a seriously Metroid vibe from parts of Frosty Fruits. The bass reminds me of the beginning section of Brinstar in Super Metroid. Makes you wonder what Retro + Wise could do with a 2D, WiiU Metroid. I wouldn't even mind if it were 2.5D -- clearly, Retro knows what they're doing.

Deku Tree

jnWake

I recently played World 4's boss. Not as hard as some people made it out to be, I even almost got him on my first try. Then again, I beat World 2's boss in one try and people really struggle with that one. Funnily enough, World 3's boss took me a while and it seems most people breeze through it...

Also beat 4-K. Short level but very intense.

zashga

Just beat 6-K. Holy cow. I must've died fifty times. It was way, way harder than any other stage has been for me. And now,
World 7
awaits.

Zing

Banned
I just finished Level 3-1 and my god how can anybody not completely fall in love with this after that stage? The incredible design flare, the fun gameplay pieces (like the snake platforms!) and the music just completely won me over. It's amazing what an inspired score will do to give a game a strong identity.
I just finished 3-1 and came here to post something about it just as you have. The level design and music fit perfectly here. I cannot accurately my feeling when the game went from "look at those giraffe things back there" to "climb on these giraffe things".

Also, finally perfected 2-K. Many Kongs were lost this day. Although, I came out of it with 99 remaining, as I actually net a life or two on each attempt. I considered doing the time trial, since I would likely get gold with all the shortcuts I managed to practice repeatedly, but I needed a break. I kept falling at the flying penguin section.

The_Dude

I loved all the K levels especially 2-K but I was glad when they were over too! I can't remember which one 5-k was though
5-K was Platform Problems, with the platforms that would flip at certain points on the rail. I thought it was just such a well designed level, especially the ascent near the end, but it was tough!

Just beat 6-K. Holy cow. I must've died fifty times. It was way, way harder than any other stage has been for me.
*Gulp!*

mstevens

This game is a gaming reality (lol?) check for me. I consider myself pretty good at platformers, but I just lost 20+ lives trying to get all the puzzle pieces in 2-2. This is gonna get ugly!

Gin

i love this game .. so much..
in world 5 now.. love the difficulty

just wish they released the OST properly

Just beat 6-K. Holy cow. I must've died fifty times. It was way, way harder than any other stage has been for me. And now,
World 7
awaits.

I thought this level was the easiest K level. I think I died 2-3 times in order to get all KONG letters and puzzle pieces. They even give you a buddy at the beginning of the level.

5-K was Platform Problems, with the platforms that would flip at certain points on the rail. I thought it was just such a well designed level, especially the ascent near the end, but it was tough!

*Gulp!*

I remember that one now! That was tough! If 6-K is the same level that I'm thinking it is then it was actually the easiest K level for me. 2 and 5 K were the toughest to me.

Layell

Has anyone noticed where they reuse songs at certain levels. I was looking for 4-5 for the longest time until I saw a speed-run of 1-3 and realized it was also that level, Canopy Chaos.

I was certain every stage had its own unique music, but I'm still very impressed. Canopy Chaos is a fantastic song anyways so I don't mind at all.

Jswanko

I just finished Level 3-1 and my god how can anybody not completely fall in love with this after that stage? The incredible design flare, the fun gameplay pieces (like the snake platforms!) and the music just completely won me over. It's amazing what an inspired score will do to give a game a strong identity.

Great level, great music.

Just as with the original, the Puzzle Pieces and the KONG letters are pretty well hidden. I finished the first world (didn't play any secret levels I unlocked) and probably only found one level's pieces in its entirety. To be honest, I wish I were as enthusiastic about the game as you guys were, but it's really a lot of fun. I told myself I'd stop after the first world, but I had to play 2-1 because I knew what music was coming!

Just as with the original, the Puzzle Pieces and the KONG letters are pretty well hidden. I finished the first world (didn't play any secret levels I unlocked) and probably only found one level's pieces in its entirety. To be honest, I wish I were as enthusiastic about the game as you guys were, but it's really a lot of fun. I told myself I'd stop after the first world, but I had to play 2-1 because I knew what music was coming!

I thought the KONG letters were harder to find but the puzzle pieces were still just as well hidden. I had just finished collection the KONG letters in the first game in the days leading to this games release so I might have just been used to looking for them.

one_kill

Just got the game. Is it just me or are the loading screens freezing a lot (i.e., they freeze for less than a second, then continue as if there was a lag)?

Also, getting some of the puzzle pieces are quite challenging.

ReyVGM

That's good! You're able to enjoy the music while playing. Games nowadays drown the music with the sound effects and I hate that.

Just cleared hard mode. Nothing left to do but time trials now, which I haven't touched. I'm probably gonna hold off for a while though as I've sunk over 50 hours into this game over the last 11 days haha.

Just cleared hard mode. Nothing left to do but time trials now, which I haven't touched. I'm probably gonna hold off for a while though as I've sunk over 50 hours into this game over the last 11 days haha.

Nice! Hardest levels in your opinion?

Also, is that a hunter metroid in your avatar? Never noticed before lol.

Just have
7-3
to beat but I'll probably wait till tomorrow. I made it almost to the end, or at least I think I did, and im too tired to play it as I keep making stupid mistakes in the early section. I will say that
world 7
feels like either another team did them, rushed or they were leftover K levels. I was hoping for a full fleshed out cohesive theme and world with those levels but they seem random.

Nice! Hardest levels in your opinion?

Also, is that a hunter metroid in your avatar? Never noticed before lol.

The bosses gave me A LOT of trouble on Hard. What was cool though was after replaying them so many times you figure out advanced tactics to get through them much quicker. Most of the normal levels weren't actually that bad... The minecart and rocketbarrel levels were tough though. And also for some reason 6-K took me almost an hour, yet it was probably the easiest for me to clear on normal. I think overall DKCR's mirror mode was tougher. Even though there were no checkpoints here, the levels still played as they always do, plus you get to use the overpowered Kongs in TF's hard mode. I used them all about even, including DK. A DK only hard mode run would give mirror mode a serious run for it's money though.

Oh and yes that is a Hunter :).

The_Dude

I remember that one now! That was tough! If 6-K is the same level that I'm thinking it is then it was actually the easiest K level for me. 2 and 5 K were the toughest to me.
I've found 2 and 5 hardest so far, too. Interesting seeing the conflicting views on 6-K, guess I'll find out how I go in the next couple of days!

Gsnap

Finally made it to
World 7.
One more level to go in it, and I'm absolutely loving it. It is tough stuff. Thank god you keep puzzle pieces when you die...

Just have
7-3
to beat but I'll probably wait till tomorrow. I made it almost to the end, or at least I think I did, and im too tired to play it as I keep making stupid mistakes in the early section. I will say that
world 7
feels like either another team did them, rushed or they were leftover K levels. I was hoping for a full fleshed out cohesive theme and world with those levels but they seem random.

It's pretty much just like the Golden Temple level from DKCR. There was a big time disconnect with that level from the rest of the game, and the same is true for these levels. 7-2 is the least coherent chunk of game design Retro has ever done... So much random stuff in that level, yet it seemed intentional and I still managed to enjoy it. The other two levels, and the Golden Temple from DKCR are perfectly coherent standalone levels, but feel completely out of place in Retro's DKC.

Top Bottom