• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Rizsparky

I just found out that Dixie picks up barrels... with her hands. :( Guess it was so she could keep her special ability while being able to pick up barrels but disappointing she doesn't mimic her DKC animations very much.

Also concept art / dioramas are the shit, they exist as fun bonuses for those dedicated enough to find them and I always appreciate getting a look at a game's development. Just be happy there isn't concept art of other Kongs/Animal Buddies/Kremlings or else we would all cry sloppy tears.

I'm pretty sure its so she can glide whilst holding a barrel.

I don't see that anyone else has posted it yet, but Polygon has an excellent piece on David Wise's return to Donkey Kong Country and the approach he took in creating the music: http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/5/5456852/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-music

I'm glad to see that gaming news sites are taking the extra time to let people know this soundtrack stands out so much. I only hope other companies and composers take notice of how much attention this music is getting, and hopefully follow suit.

Sendou

So some ancient elder god told me that
there's a speedrun medal beyond gold.

Where could I see the time requirements for each level?

Lunar15

Look, it's cool if people didn't like the game, but I still can't comprehend Gamespot's complaint that the level design was "uncreative" and "uninspired".

Like, man I hate how all those games use giant beehives as moving platforms you have to climb on as they swing from trees on sticky honey. It's just so rote at this point!

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I honestly don't understand the swimming complaints. I loved the swimming controls in the game. They made perfect sense and were nicely consistent with the weightiness that DK has on land as well. I found that forcing me to think about my character's momentum made swimming all the more enjoyable.

Still, it's quite clear that people don't like those sorts of weighty controls, as they dub them "unresponsive."

Neiteio

Amiss Abyss is my favorite level to replay. So, yeah, swimming is great! Key thing to remember: You can tap in a different direction to flip that way.

Timeaisis

Love swimming in this game. Easily the best water stages in any platformer. And this comes from someone who usually dreads them.

+1 for Amiss Abyss awesomeness. And, of course, Irate Eight.

Gsnap

Yup! Swimming is great. Rocket Barrels and Mine Carts are great. Basically everything about the game is great. No issue with controls whatsoever.

Neiteio

Guys

Guys

Guys

...I just realized.

Tropical Freeze

is a pun

on "Tropical Breeze"

geU7K25.jpg

When you get accustomed to the swimming it feels pretty damn good, makes me wish that world 4 actually threw in another water stage, I'm just saying that I wouldn't miss sea stack attack at all.

I don't see that anyone else has posted it yet, but Polygon has an excellent piece on David Wise's return to Donkey Kong Country and the approach he took in creating the music: http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/5/5456852/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-music

I'm glad to see that gaming news sites are taking the extra time to let people know this soundtrack stands out so much. I only hope other companies and composers take notice of how much attention this music is getting, and hopefully follow suit.
Wise has been getting quite a few interviews popping up with the release of TF, it's cool to see.
I read this one earlier today and I think its one of the better articles on Wise, bit more information in there.

Look, it's cool if people didn't like the game, but I still can't comprehend Gamespot's complaint that the level design was "uncreative" and "uninspired".

Like, man I hate how all those games use giant beehives as moving platforms you have to climb on as they swing from trees on sticky honey. It's just so rote at this point!
Just consider such claims coming from a bitter individual who kept dying due to their own ineptitude despite their claims otherwise and it begins to make much more sense.

Neiteio

I decided to spend all 999 banana coins I had on figurines at once

This is the worst mistake I have ever made
Well hold up there, Al, did you have all the figurines available for purchase? Because in that case you probably would've wound up spending that much unlocking them all anyways. :)

But yeah, if you purchase before they're all available, Funky will run out of new ones but you'll still be locked into the purchase.

Also, if that's the worst mistake you've ever made, be thankful!

I like to think that as I type this post those capsules are still coming out with the same repeats over and over, if things get truly desperate you could just turn the game off.

^Oh well there we go, yep, they're still coming through, the machine of infinite capsules.

Neiteio

Halfway through this article and it's very illuminating. Wise made the Tropical Freeze OST in 21 months (1.75 years). And if attempted on SNES chiptune tech, the same soundtrack would've taken 5-6 years by Wise's estimate.

Neiteio

I like to think that as I type this post those capsules are still coming out with the same repeats over and over, if things get truly desperate you could just turn the game off.

^Oh well there we go, yep, they're still coming through, the machine of infinite capsules.
Is it five coins per capsule? If so, 999/5 = 199 figures (rounding down), times 2 seconds per unlock = 398 seconds, divided by 60 = 6.63 minutes. Provided you tap A all 199 times to keep that two-second refresh rate going strong.

Al's going to need a cyborg thumb.

maxcriden

When you get accustomed to the swimming it feels pretty damn good, makes me wish that world 4 actually threw in another water stage, I'm just saying that I wouldn't miss sea stack attack at all.

You know, I was replaying that level a couple days ago for the K-O-N-G letters and my wife mentioned this was her favorite level in the entire game, which really surprised me. It is a really fun level, and the mechanics are a bit more subtle in a way, but it keeps you moving pretty much the whole time. I have to imagine Shiny Gold on that one is the stuff of nightmares. Seeing how much she liked it, it definitely gave me a new appreciation for that level.

Neiteio

You know, I was replaying that level a couple days ago for the K-O-N-G letters and my wife mentioned this was her favorite level in the entire game, which really surprised me. It is a really fun level, and the mechanics are a bit more subtle in a way, but it keeps you moving pretty much the whole time. I have to imagine Shiny Gold on that one is the stuff of nightmares. Seeing how much she liked it, it definitely gave me a new appreciation for that level.
One stage that seems a bit subtle in terms of theme but is really amazing in hindsight is Panicky Paddles. I say it's "subtle" in the sense that its aesthetic doesn't necessarily stick out much from, say, Harvest Hazards (even shares the same music theme), and it doesn't look as distinct as the popsicle factory in Frosty Fruits, for example, or the factory at sunset in Fruity Factory. But thinking back on it, I remember repeatedly trying to get the "N" and "G" letters, swimming with the underwater (under-juice?) current and dodging the spiky durians, and then traversing the rows of flipping panels as balls shoot out of the background to spin them and sharks snap at me from below... It really was an exhilarating run, where you could leap before you look and still scrape by between a bouncing durian and spinning panel (if you're quick).

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
So some ancient elder god told me that
there's a speedrun medal beyond gold.

Where could I see the time requirements for each level?

The Shiny Gold times are not listed publicly. There is probably a wiki or something out there with their estimates. I believe they are always rounded to a second though.

Part of me thinks it supposed to be a cool down from the swimming and carts that comprise the first four stages of the world, more so because it comes after Irate Eight.
But the stage itself while not bad is just kind of "there", visually it's not got much going on, the reuse of canopy chaos music (not even deep keep's ground theme or something a bit more beachy?) feels a bit out of place and if you're not speeding through it there's a few moments of waiting around whether its to bomb crates out of the way or bypass the main background hazards safely of which I'm not entirely sure where the hitbox area begins or ends.

Well each to their own, I'm sure for those who dread the wet stuff the stage was a haven.

One stage that seems a bit subtle in terms of theme but is really amazing in hindsight is Panicky Paddles. I say it's "subtle" in the sense that its aesthetic doesn't necessarily stick out much from, say, Harvest Hazards (even shares the same music theme), and it doesn't look as distinct as the popsicle factory in Frosty Fruits, for example, or the factory at sunset in Fruity Factory. But thinking back on it, I remember repeatedly trying to get the "N" and "G" letters, swimming with the underwater (under-juice?) current and dodging the spiky durians, and then traversing the rows of flipping panels as balls shoot out of the background to spin them and sharks snap at me from below... It really was an exhilarating run, where you could leap before you look and still scrape by between a bouncing durian and spinning panel (if you're quick).

When I first played through panicky paddles the N and G letters had me suffer a few deaths at that mini gauntlet of a final checkpoint and my thoughts were something along the lines of "this stage isn't doing much for me right now, maybe I'll like it a lot more on a replay".
I was pretty much on the mark there, I'll call it "cliffs" syndrome after world 6 in DKCR which I was originally indifferent to only for return visits to have me loving it.
I love how the stages main paddle and grater platforms along with the water areas are all integrated into the fruit juicing process, the water areas of course being juice.

Sendou

The Shiny Gold times are not listed publicly. There is probably a wiki or something out there with their estimates. I believe they are always rounded to a second though.

Right. That's what I figured. I wonder how they decided on what time is goal for each level.

emb

Right. That's what I figured. I wonder how they decided on what time is goal for each level.
I couldn't find anything right off.

Best I can come up with at the moment: http://pastebin.com/TvfJe7xu (Pretty sure those are just the times he got though, not the requirements. A lower bound, at least.) Similarly, you can probably check the leader boards and just assume the top 10 or 20 all have them. That's all far from ideal though, I know.

There's a guide on Gamefaqs that says a shiny gold list is coming soon, but who knows if it'll ever deliver.

How come there isn't an official soundtrack CD for this game yet? Usually Japan has them up right around the games release. It'd be pretty rad if that was our platinum reward this year, assuming it was complete and not one of those "best of" single disc releases.

One stage that seems a bit subtle in terms of theme but is really amazing in hindsight is Panicky Paddles. I say it's "subtle" in the sense that its aesthetic doesn't necessarily stick out much from, say, Harvest Hazards (even shares the same music theme), and it doesn't look as distinct as the popsicle factory in Frosty Fruits, for example, or the factory at sunset in Fruity Factory.

I thought two things made it distinct: One, you are
swimming in juice!
. That alone gives it a distinct feel and asthetic. Two, it was by far the most successful level to integrate swimming and land sections (Rockin Relics was fantastic, but the vast majority of it's swimming sections are optional).

I loved Sea Stack attack. I liked the background and foreground interplay, which overall was not as prominent in TF as it was in Returns. It was also a good break from several swimming levels in a row.

Neiteio

I thought two things made it distinct: One, you are
swimming in juice!
. That alone gives it a distinct feel and asthetic. Two, it was by far the most successful level to integrate swimming and land sections (Rockin Relics was fantastic, but the vast majority of it's swimming sections are optional).
Yeah, that's true that swimming in juice gives it a unique aesthetic. The level also features some new visuals in the form of the fruit graters, and nice touches like a waterwheel powered by juice. It's a level that continues to grow on me from a creative standpoint. And of course, from a gameplay standpoint, it's uniformly excellent. You raise a good point about how of all of the levels in the game, Panicky Paddles is closest to striking a 50/50 balance between land and swimming. Many areas in that level are multi-tiered -- rows of flipping panels suspended above a deep well of juice. :)

I love that this guy is giving some insight and info on the art as well as simply showing it in the first place, I can't recall any immediate easter eggs in Fruity Factory, there was the SMB3 style wooden tank in Frosty Fruits but nothing for Fruity Factory leaps to mind.
Guess I know what stage I'm replaying next.

edit: If found it, I think it was a DK3 reference, someone mentioned something of the sort much earlier in the thread now I think about it.

Comparatively, with the technology available throughout the development of Tropical Freeze, Wise was capable of creating the realistic big band sound he initially envisioned. Synthesizers, he says, have come a long way in the last 20 years. "We've actually got actual instruments playing on there, although they're quantized to fit in the style of the original music," Wise adds.

This is neat. It would be cool to see what instruments on various tracks were played live and then blended in with the MIDI stuff.

I love that this guy is giving some insight and info on the art as well as simply showing it in the first place, I can't recall any immediate easter eggs in Fruity Factory, there was the SMB3 style wooden tank in Frosty Fruits but nothing for Fruity Factory leaps to mind.
Guess I know what stage I'm replaying next.

Yeah it's pretty cool... Especially considering this was his first game with Retro. He seems to be a big Nintendo fan and it shows with his desire to put in all these easter eggs. Great pickup for Retro (not that their art team hasn't always been anything other tan amazing).

chadboban

Like that you can see the now frozen DK Island in the distance in this little opening right here.

Beat the world 4 boss today. I feel like a weirdo for saying this but I actually loved all of world 4 especially the underwater levels.

here's some random screens I took today

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01zmiia.jpg

Donkey and Dixie Kong staring in "Sliders"(you remember that show, right?)

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01anash.jpg

I don't like the way this pig is looking at me

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01a4j2q.jpg

Eeeeek, okay back to the pig, back to the pig!

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01keks1.jpg

DK planning to start a career in spelunking

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01susrw.jpg

Jellyfish has been such a wonderful swimming instructor

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01p6qpl.jpg

Oh and I finally met Harold today AKA,
c732z.gif

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I have mixed feelings on World 6...

The concept (revisting the frozen DK Island) was solid, but I found most of the levels to be pretty disappointing, they felt very easy, beyond a few puzzle pieces, and also short...at first I was sort of glad to have some short levels and everything, but I feel they were also a bit dull considering how crazy difficult the Volcano was in DK Returns. Only the Rocket Barrel level gave me trouble, especially that one Puzzle Piece where you had to collect the two spinning rows of bananas.

The last half though, such as Cliffside Slide, and the bonus stages, were really good though and pretty challenging. The last level was really easy though too, and putting Rambi in seemed a bit anti-climatic.

FUCK that Boss though, with that one instant death attack he'll use on you during the beginning of the third half, it got me like three times, and I had to start all over. I did discover a useful trick though...when he calls down the Ice Dragons in the second part, if you go to the space where the first Ice Dragon lands, no more will hit that spot.

Conezays

Hey guys, please spoiler your answer if you want.

I've beaten all Temples and got KONG letters for all 6 worlds-why can't I access the secret world?

Please help! Much appreciated.

Hey guys, please spoiler your answer if you want.

I've beaten all Temples and got KONG letters for all 6 worlds-why can't I access the secret world?

Please help! Much appreciated.

First, you might want to spoiler tag there just to be safe. Second, you have to beat the game first and then it unlocks.

Conezays

First, you might want to spoiler tag there just to be safe. Second, you have to beat the game first and then it unlocks.

I've beaten the game, got all kong letters, and beaten all temples. Not sure why the secret world hasn't opened up. Is there a brief cut scene showing the new island; how do you get to it? I'm not sure what to do here, seems like I've fulfilled are requirements.

Conezays

Like that you can see the now frozen DK Island in the distance in this little opening right here.

Beat the world 4 boss today. I feel like a weirdo for saying this but I actually loved all of world 4 especially the underwater levels.

here's some random screens I took today

I like the Sliders reference ;)

I've beaten the game, got all kong letters, and beaten all temples. Not sure why the secret world hasn't opened up. Is there a brief cut scene showing the new island; how do you get to it? I'm not sure what to do here, seems like I've fulfilled are requirements.

On the world map you should be able to press B and select it like you would when you are switching between islands normally. Otherwise it might be a bug :/.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

It should have lead you there after watching the credits and re-starting the game...

I've heard perhaps you might need the Puzzle Pieces from the Temple Levels too, try that?

Top Bottom