• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

maxcriden

One stage that seems a bit subtle in terms of theme but is really amazing in hindsight is Panicky Paddles. I say it's "subtle" in the sense that its aesthetic doesn't necessarily stick out much from, say, Harvest Hazards (even shares the same music theme), and it doesn't look as distinct as the popsicle factory in Frosty Fruits, for example, or the factory at sunset in Fruity Factory. But thinking back on it, I remember repeatedly trying to get the "N" and "G" letters, swimming with the underwater (under-juice?) current and dodging the spiky durians, and then traversing the rows of flipping panels as balls shoot out of the background to spin them and sharks snap at me from below... It really was an exhilarating run, where you could leap before you look and still scrape by between a bouncing durian and spinning panel (if you're quick).

Part of me thinks it supposed to be a cool down from the swimming and carts that comprise the first four stages of the world, more so because it comes after Irate Eight.
But the stage itself while not bad is just kind of "there", visually it's not got much going on, the reuse of canopy chaos music (not even deep keep's ground theme or something a bit more beachy?) feels a bit out of place and if you're not speeding through it there's a few moments of waiting around whether its to bomb crates out of the way or bypass the main background hazards safely of which I'm not entirely sure where the hitbox area begins or ends.

Well each to their own, I'm sure for those who dread the wet stuff the stage was a haven.

When I first played through panicky paddles the N and G letters had me suffer a few deaths at that mini gauntlet of a final checkpoint and my thoughts were something along the lines of "this stage isn't doing much for me right now, maybe I'll like it a lot more on a replay".
I was pretty much on the mark there, I'll call it "cliffs" syndrome after world 6 in DKCR which I was originally indifferent to only for return visits to have me loving it.
I love how the stages main paddle and grater platforms along with the water areas are all integrated into the fruit juicing process, the water areas of course being juice.

Haha, you guys are going to laugh at me now. I was avoiding reading what you were saying about Panicky Paddles when I saw your posts earlier because I didn't remember seeing that name at all during our first run through the game so I was thinking it was an A, B, or K level when I first saw your posts. Of course we got back to this level tonight and it was my turn to play, so I was like, Ohhhh this level. Heh. It's a great level. I'd totally forgotten it in a way. The end with the N and G really was pretty brutal, hardest main level K-O-N-G for me so far. Man, that G. I can't even understand how to get that if you were to play in Hard Mode, especially as DK. Woof! Great level, though, really engrossing. Playing the World 5 levels I hadn't played the first time through, it just helps me appreciate what a great World this is. I wasn't super wowed by it playing the odd-numbered levels the first time around (my wife played the even-numbered ones) but now I feel like I have a much better appreciation for it. The progression is so clever, too, as you mentioned Nocturnowl, with another example being the fruit being processed into punch (in Fruity Factory) for the Punch Bowl boss battle. So cool!

BTW! I do really like the DKCR OST. It's no TF, but I really do like it. My favorites are undoubtedly Cliff, Factory and Volcano. The OST really steps it up in those last worlds.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Panicky Paddles was the only level that I had to play through twice to get the K-O-N-G.

As far as I'm concerned, if you lose Dixie, you're screwed out of the G. And getting the N is pretty difficult, so it was a pain having to do it multiple times when I was trying for the G with Donkey Kong and didn't want to restart it all over.

Don't know what you guys are talking about. I played through the level on hard with DK, and getting the G is simply a matter of a well executed roll jump.

maxcriden

Panicky Paddles was the only level that I had to play through twice to get the K-O-N-G.

As far as I'm concerned, if you lose Dixie, you're screwed out of the G.

You'll be real proud of me, then, WDB! I got it with just DK. Again, I can't imagine getting it in Hard Mode with only one heart to use. It took me several tries with just DK. I ended up having to roll off that third platform just as it was about to spin, and land on those spikes next to it...eurgh.

Don't know what you guys are talking about. I played through the level on hard with DK, and getting the G is simply a matter of a well executed roll jump.

Fugu = easy. G in Panicky Paddles = easy. Playing 5-K Blast and Bounce in DKCR in Mirror Mode blindfolded = easy. Everything in every game = easy.

2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

I don't mean to single you out at all, TSB. You're one of my favorite posters to read. I just think it's slightly silly how whenever someone posts how something is hard in this game
or in any game
someone else comes in and says y'all crazy, that's EASY. ;)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Also, after beating all the Temples, I still say BOPOPOLIS was the hardest of them all despite being #2.

Conezays

It should have lead you there after watching the credits and re-starting the game...

I've heard perhaps you might need the Puzzle Pieces from the Temple Levels too, try that?

Haven't got all the puzzle pieces in the temples...perhaps it's that. Will try later I suppose. Friend and I have clocked nearly 25 hours on this game, Lol.

jnWake

So some ancient elder god told me that
there's a speedrun medal beyond gold.

Where could I see the time requirements for each level?

I don't have the individual times but for most stages you'll get a shiny gold by beating the gold time by about 10 to 15 seconds. For a few stages it's actually more, just search for skips!

For minecart and rocket barrel stages you can get shiny gold easily, just beat the stage by doing the ground parts as quickly as possible.

Well, I just finished completing the
7th world.
Still need to collect the last remaining puzzle pieces that I failed to pick up my first time going through those levels, but after that I'll be ready to put the game down for a while.

Neiteio

Like that you can see the now frozen DK Island in the distance in this little opening right here.

Beat the world 4 boss today. I feel like a weirdo for saying this but I actually loved all of world 4 especially the underwater levels.

here's some random screens I took today
I love the shots, Chad. Which stage is the one with the vine-climbing? It looks like it's one of the water levels.

I don't mean to single you out at all, TSB. You're one of my favorite posters to read. I just think it's slightly silly how whenever someone posts how something is hard in this game
or in any game
someone else comes in and says y'all crazy, that's EASY. ;)

No, you are right that is a bad post by me haha. I was just trying to convey that it is possible to with DK without taking damage but you have to be PERFECT on it. Going through the game the first time it took me quite a while to get the G. I think I just played it so many times and it was an eye opening moment when I did it perfectly I knew exactly what was required, so going back and doing it on hard was cake. It is definitely one of the most difficult parts to "solve."

maxcriden

Ah man, I feel like I was a bit harsh in that post above. TheSpaceBetween, I really didn't mean to single you out. It's just a general pet peeve of mine. I hope I wasn't rude. Sorry man!

ETA: Ah, we must have posted at the same time. Thanks for the clarification! I'll definitely be eager to hone my skills and be able to perfect that roll jump.

No worries :). I try to be reasonable with my posts but I realize I am just wrong sometimes and should be called out. I didn't see this part though and wanted to comment:

Fugu = easy. G in Panicky Paddles = easy. Playing 5-K Blast and Bounce in DKCR in Mirror Mode blindfolded = easy. Everything in every game = easy.

Blast and Bounce was the one I was most dreading in MM because it killed me the most out of all the K levels the first time around. But amazingly I cleared in just a few times... Jagged Jewels on the other hand... I still have nightmares about that one :p.

maxcriden

No worries :). I try to be reasonable with my posts but I realize I am just wrong sometimes and should be called out. I didn't see this part though and wanted to comment:

Blast and Bounce was the one I was most dreading in MM because it killed me the most out of all the K levels the first time around. But amazingly I cleared in just a few times... Jagged Jewels on the other hand... I still have nightmares about that one :p.

Haha, thanks man. Yeah, I haven't gotten to any K levels in Mirror Mode (on 3DS) yet, but I'm planning to tackle them eventually. Jagged Jewels was pretty tricky for me in regular mode, although I found Blast and Bounce to be IIRC the hardest level in the game. Jagged Jewels was up there though. Those K levels. Just brutal. I'm really looking forward to playing the ones in TF!

jnWake

The factory boss (that bird in the robot) was so annoying in Mirror Mode in DKCR. The pattern was so damn random (even if you could wait in the sides) and I always got hit by the eggs it dropped. I hated that boss, gave me much more trouble than Tiki King.

gotoadgo

Hey guys, please spoiler your answer if you want.

I've beaten all Temples and got KONG letters for all 6 worlds-why can't I access the secret world?

Please help! Much appreciated.
I'd bet money you've missed a hidden exit somewhere and in turn, an entire level. You need to have the KONG letters for every A and B level too.

I'd bet money you've missed a hidden exit somewhere and in turn, an entire level. You need to have the KONG letters for every A and B level too.
If he didn't get all of the KONG letters (aka skipped a level) he wouldn't have beaten every temple, since you need those KONG letters to unlock the temple.

Have you beaten the final boss? There are 7 symbols or whatever. One from each K level, and one from the final boss.

LGom09

You can't truly appreciate the smart level design until you do the time trials and start to notice all the perfect speedrunning lines put in place by the devs.

Conezays

I wish that was the case.

I have the completion Kong Sign for every level in the game that has letters including Secret levels. I believe one Missing Relic piece is missing-does that have something to do with it? I have done every temple, so I'm not sure where the other one is. I feel like I'm going nuts here or the game is glitching on me, as both friend I went over some levels more than once even to doublecheck, as well as checking the Summary Page for each world...looked up videos confirming we visited all 10 secret exits, etc. I'm stumped here.

I wish that was the case.

I have the completion Kong Sign for every level in the game that has letters including Secret levels. I believe one Missing Relic piece is missing-does that have something to do with it? I have done every temple, so I'm not sure where the other one is. I feel like I'm going nuts here or the game is glitching on me, as both friend I went over some levels more than once even to doublecheck, as well as checking the Summary Page for each world...looked up videos confirming we visited all 10 secret exits, etc. I'm stumped here.
Yup. Beat the game first. The last relic comes after the end credits.

Gsnap

You know what level stands out to me? I guess I'll spoiler for people who haven't seen it yet.
Beehive Brawl.

I've only played it all the way through once, but I'm eager to get back to it. As a level, I think it's great. Challenging and fun and full of great ideas.
The beehives being little houses covered in grass that hang from the walls and ceilings by honey. Honey combs making platforms down honey waterfalls. The big bees carrying you around. And it has a great sense of progression. Starting in a little bee village, then making your way into the hive where the bees work, and then coming back out and being flung around by swinging beehives, which have a really fun, playground-ish sense of motion to them. And I think it's one of the most visually impressive levels in the game. The warm oranges and golds are a nice change of pace to the bright greens and purples of most of Juicy Jungle. And it has an extra touch of nostalgic impressions to it. Reminds me of Banjo Kazooie and other old Rare games. Something about bees and beehives does that to me. But maybe that's just me.

Anyway. Love that level.

I just lost 15 lives in 5K, I'm tired and not timing my jumps that well, gonna get some sleep and try again tomorrow.

I feel you. I attempted(and beat!) 5-K between 2 and 3 in the morning last week. I was tired and should've probably been asleep instead of playing, but I wasn't. No idea how many lives I lost, mostly in the last 1/3. I felt pretty good a few days later when I showed the stage to a friend and beat it on my first try, but also kinda bad about taking so many attempts the first time I played it. Thanks, muscle memory!

You know what level stands out to me? I guess I'll spoiler for people who haven't seen it yet.
Beehive Brawl.

I've only played it all the way through once, but I'm eager to get back to it. As a level, I think it's great. Challenging and fun and full of great ideas.
The beehives being little houses covered in grass that hang from the walls and ceilings by honey. Honey combs making platforms down honey waterfalls. The big bees carrying you around. And it has a great sense of progression. Starting in a little bee village, then making your way into the hive where the bees work, and then coming back out and being flung around by swinging beehives, which have a really fun, playground-ish sense of motion to them. And I think it's one of the most visually impressive levels in the game. The warm oranges and golds are a nice change of pace to the bright greens and purples of most of Juicy Jungle. And it has an extra touch of nostalgic impressions to it. Reminds me of Banjo Kazooie and other old Rare games. Something about bees and beehives does that to me. But maybe that's just me.

Anyway. Love that level.

Agreed... Fantastic level. I was freaking out during the end bit when
you go flying
. The next level,
Jammin Jams
is amazing too. The whole island is just platforming gold.

These bees are pushovers. In DKC 2 bees mean DEATH AND FEAR, in this game bees just invite you to kill them by the dozen. Pathetic!

About to beat the game I think. Just need to do two of the K levels I've skipped over and then the final boss. Heard the boss is a bit of a letdown but I'm looking forward to it.

Neiteio

Beehive Brawl.

Anyway. Love that level.
Excellent write-up! We need more level-by-level appreciation posts. :)

We also need more screenshots! I'm super-busy right now, but maybe we can get some pictures in here of the
flying cow
in Frantic Fields (before and after it hits, for a clean shot)... Or how about a clear shot of
the frozen bat
in Blurry Flurry, or of the
rolling snowball about to hit the tower
in the same level... Or how about some shots of the
submarines, airplanes, etc
in Trunk Twister... Or some shots of the
teetering platforms
and
cheese corridors
in Crumble Cavern... Or how about shots of the
rats dangling/leaping for cheese
in Rodent Ruckus, and the scenic
hot-air balloon lift
at the end of the level... And how about a shot (multiple shots, more likely!) of the
saw-blade chase
at the end of Sawmill Thrill, in particular the part where you're
driving on chunks of wood
!

Gsnap

Or how about shots of the
rats dangling/leaping for cheese
in Rodent Ruckus,
and the scenic
hot-air balloon lift
at the end of the level...

Another of my favorites. I love the section where
everything gets dark and spotlights reveal the rats mining for cheese.

This game.. It's gonna have a real special place in my heart in the future. I can already tell.

EDIT: I'll also add that I agree with the earlier assessments of Panicky Paddles. It's the best mixture of water and ground in the game.

jnWake

Rodent Ruckus is a pretty cool level and, I believe, hints at some levels being created with better use of the Wii U's power. To me, the lightning and geometry (even the cheese physics) look a lot better in that level than in almost every level of World 1 for example.

gotoadgo

If he didn't get all of the KONG letters (aka skipped a level) he wouldn't have beaten every temple, since you need those KONG letters to unlock the temple.

Have you beaten the final boss? There are 7 symbols or whatever. One from each K level, and one from the final boss.
Good point, didn't even think of that. Has to be the final boss then.

The_Dude

I finished 6-K and it is definitely the easiest K level as far as I'm concerned. The difficulty progression of the K levels is weird.

Also, I got the G on Panicky Paddles with just Donkey Kong without taking damage. I have no idea how I did it and would probably never be able to do it again - just got incredibly lucky!

I finished 6-K and it is definitely the easiest K level as far as I'm concerned. The difficulty progression of the K levels is weird.

Also, I got the G on Panicky Paddles with just Donkey Kong without taking damage. I have no idea how I did it and would probably never be able to do it again - just got incredibly lucky!
I also got it with just Donkey Kong but after like 30 tries of figuring out how to do it.

It's totally doable with a roll-jump, but it's so difficult it's easier to literally quit the level and try it again with Dixie.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Beehive Brawl.

Anyway. Love that level.

Nice write-up. One of my favorite levels.

On another note, working through world 2 in hard mode. Feel like things are so much easier now that I'm playing without being sick lol. 2-K only took a single try. Would've been nice if it worked out that way the first time!

chronosic

Hnnnnnnnng, just beat the boss of island 5 and did the first two stages of island 6. This game just keeps getting better. Seashore War's music is fucking amazing. Gonna push on through to the end tomorrow I think.

FireVoa

Just got to World 5 in my game. This has been one of the most enjoyable and hardest games I've played in a long long time. If you own a Wii U and don't have this game youre missing out, big time!

The_Dude

I'm guessing the third puzzle piece in 7-1 is with the
spinning bananas
? I just can't get it right despite many attempts, so I hope I'm not wasting my time for nothing (again!).

I also got it with just Donkey Kong but after like 30 tries of figuring out how to do it.

It's totally doable with a roll-jump, but it's so difficult it's easier to literally quit the level and try it again with Dixie.
Yep, I did it with a roll jump, but it was just sheer luck that I got the timing right. Like I said, probably couldn't do it again if I tried.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm guessing the third puzzle piece in 7-1 is with the
spinning bananas
? I just can't get it right despite many attempts, so I hope I'm not wasting my time for nothing (again!).

Yep, I did it with a roll jump, but it was just sheer luck that I got the timing right. Like I said, probably couldn't do it again if I tried.

There is one there, yes.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just got to World 5 in my game. This has been one of the most enjoyable and hardest games I've played in a long long time. If you own a Wii U and don't have this game youre missing out, big time!

today I'll face world 4 boss: I hope tomorrow I can post your exact same post going to World 5. I'm really loving this game, even more thatn Mario 3D World (and I'm a huge fan of that game too!)

For some reason I don't like 3-1. Music is kinda annoying, those dancing trees look goofy as hell, and if reminds me of little big planet for some reason. Still digging the game, but this was a low point so far.

Lunar15

For some reason I don't like 3-1. Music is kinda annoying, those dancing trees look goofy as hell, and if reminds me of little big planet for some reason. Still digging the game, but this was a low point so far.

The good thing is that the rest of the levels in that world are much better, in my opinion. It's a short, sweet, introduction chapter. Very cheerful and lively. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't consider it a great level.

Beehive Brawl.

Anyway. Love that level.
Rare did love their hives from Zingers to Zubbas, coming to think of it this may explain the design of Honey B in Banjo Tooie.
Replayed this stage earlier and discovered the glorious pogo cane shortcut in the interior sections, instantly took a look at the speed runs to watch them leverage this time saver without flubbing the last bounce like I did.

Top Bottom