• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Or a bug similar to the 3-3 bug.
That's true as well, but the fact that he said it seemed as he was missing a relic (which would be the case if he didn't get the final boss relic), makes me think he just hasn't completed the game yet. Of course, the glitch could keep that relic from unlocking.

maxcriden

Rare did love their hives from Zingers to Zubbas, coming to think of it this may explain the design of Honey B in Banjo Tooie.
Replayed this stage earlier and discovered the glorious pogo cane shortcut in the interior sections, instantly took a look at the speed runs to watch them leverage this time saver without flubbing the last bounce like I did.

Man, Zubbas were good enemies. BK had really memorable enemy design. I like the designs of the characters in those games much better than in DK64.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
damn Juicy Jungle is brutal so far, but gotta say, some amazing vistas

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0188smm.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01e9svg.jpg

Conezays

Does your game save say that you have gotten all of the relics?

I'll fire up the Wii U now, just been busy with other things. Is that info available in the main menu? It isn't when you press Pause on the world map, etc. Can you confirm that the puzzle pieces have NOTHING to do with accessing the secret world? I beat the final boss with a friend...I don't see how co-op would prevent me obtaining collectibles though.

Deku Tree

I'll fire up the Wii U now, just been busy with other things. Is that info available in the main menu? It isn't when you press Pause on the world map, etc. Can you confirm that the puzzle pieces have NOTHING to do with accessing the secret world? I beat the final boss with a friend...I don't see how co-op would prevent me obtaining collectibles though.

I am not sure where it says it on the game file... or if it does... but if you go to each of the K worlds and have DK sitting on each level, then a relic sign will be illuminated if you have gotten the relic for that K world. Same for the final boss. I believe that you have to have all of the relics to unlock the final world.

Conezays

I am not sure where it says it on the game file... or if it does... but if you go to each of the K worlds and have DK sitting on each level, then a relic sign will be illuminated if you have gotten the relic for that K world. Same for the final boss. I believe that you have to have all of the relics to unlock the final world.

Okay, thanks man. Will try this and let you guys know.

Yeah, Puzzle Pieces don't matter at all. You get a relic for beating each K level, and a relic for sitting through the end credits.

You said you saw the end credits roll... Did you watch them all the way through?

Timeaisis

Whew. All levels done. 7-3 was pretty challenging, not K-levels of challenge, but pretty hard to time everything. Cool level, though.

Now onward, to the remaining puzzle pieces!

At World 3 boss and I don't think I can't be bothered to play it anymore. I just.. I fucking hate this game. I am not any getting enjoyment out of playing it whatsoever, its ridiculously hard, and not just hard, it's fucking mean and deliberately so. Every time I finish I level I am just glad I never have to see it again. The games difficulty is all over the place, half of World 3 is fine (although it's still annoying to play) but two levels on World 2 took over 50 lives to complete each. It's mean and cunty, that's what it is.

All the responses in here: It's not hard at all.

Fuck this game.

Neff

At World 3 boss and I don't think I can't be bothered to play it anymore. I just.. I fucking hate this game. I am not any getting enjoyment out of playing it whatsoever, its ridiculously hard, and not just hard, it's fucking mean and deliberately so. Every time I finish I level I am just glad I never have to see it again. The games difficulty is all over the place, half of World 3 is fine (although it's still annoying to play) but two levels on World 2 took over 50 lives to complete each. It's mean and cunty, that's what it is.

Fuck this game.

Actually the responses will probably be more in line with 'this is why we can't have challenging games', as the game is proven to be perfectly fair, logical, exceptionally responsive, and rewards pure skill, the way a game should imo.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's challenging, but wasting 50 lives on levels in World 2?? wot

Please tell me it was the K-level

Actually the responses will probably be more in line with 'this is why we can't have challenging games', as the game is proven to be perfectly fair, logical, exceptionally responsive, and rewards pure skill, the way a game should imo.

Well I respectfully disagree that it's fair and based on pure skill, there are many times where I've come away feeling cheated by it. There is nothing wrong with challenging games, I just don't think this game does it well at all.

Madouu

Well I respectfully disagree that it's fair and based on pure skill, there are many times where I've come away feeling cheated by it. There is nothing wrong with challenging games, I just don't think this game does it well at all.

You could always show a few concrete examples of where you felt cheated by the game.

It's challenging, but wasting 50 lives on levels in World 2?? wot

Please tell me it was the K-level
I mean, that level probably cost me 50 lives too. The rest were pretty easy, even the Rocket level I can't imagine took me more than two lives. Maybe the sawmill? Those water controls are hard at first.

That 50 lives estimate is more accurate if playing on hard mode. Some of those early levels are so long.

robot

damn Juicy Jungle is brutal so far, but gotta say, some amazing vistas

fruiteverywhere.jpg

That rocket level blew my mind. shit was getting chopped up everywhere, I still don't know how I did it. My kids were yelling to grab the letters as they flew by but I was just trying to stay alive.

Fuck this game.

lel

Kinsei

Banned

Please post examples. Everyone I've seen who claims the game is cheap never backs it up. I would really like to know what you consider cheap.

Please post examples. Everyone I've seen who claims the game is cheap never backs it up. I would really like to know what you consider cheap.
I could see how some elements would seem cheap if:
1. You don't fully understand the controls (roll jumping and all that)
2. You're impatient and try to run through the whole level without stopping to see what's ahead
3. You don't realize that following the bananas is usually a good idea in vehicle levels

gotoadgo

Fuck this game.
You're just doing it wrong. You should NOT be using 50 lives on anything but some hard mode levels and k levels. Even then, 50 is a massive number. Maybe you need to come to terms with being terrible at a hard game?

Gsnap

Getting to what feels like almost the end of the underwater chest level and dying and realizing that you're starting over from the very beginning with no keys.

But you shouldn't feel "cheated", because the level didn't throw anything at you you weren't prepared to handle. You've seen the enemies before, you know how to swim at this point. Etc. So dying is still your fault.

And besides, doing that level a second time takes like 3 minutes since you know where everything is.

Not the best level in the world, but hardly unfair.

popyea

2-K is my favourite level so far. It seriously blew me away. Every single section is just beautifully set up for speed runs, and it's the perfect difficulty. I'm still only in world 3, but so far only the K levels have really satisfied that old school donkey kong itch. I can't wait for the regular levels to ramp up.

But you shouldn't feel "cheated", because the level didn't throw anything at you you weren't prepared to handle. You've seen the enemies before, you know how to swim at this point. Etc. So dying is still your fault.

And besides, doing that level a second time takes like 3 minutes since you know where everything is.

In hard mode on that level, I got stuck at the final keyhole because the current pushed me into the edge of the door, and the shark got me. It happened again the second time and I almost drowned to death, but I sprinted to the finish just in time. I kinda get what he's talking about, but that's like the worst level in the game anyway.

Lunar15

Fuck this game.

Hey, game's not for you, and you sound really frustrated at it. Nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure everyone here's dropped a game they couldn't get into before, even if everyone else liked it.

There are numerous things that I find cheaty in the game. Some examples:

- Being unable to duck under the swinging monkey boss (World 3) to evade the hammer. Yet, in other levels a duck under something of similar height doesn't hit you. When they are in ghost form or whatever it was, again you can't duck or even roll to escape. There are some weird inconsistencies with things like that.

- Playing the underwater levels and being pushed towards the retracting teeth the instant they appear on screen and you immediately lose a heart. You can't avoid it because you don't know it's there.

- Underwater, some areas look like you can ride along them - like an edge or rock - but you get pushed out into an enemies path. But visually it looks like you should be able to get by.

- Mine cart sections where you just clip a crate made of wood and it takes a heart off

- The time window on the windmill (maybe?) level where you're being pushed along at a very high rate, yet everything is falling apart under you with zero room for error, and this is a farily early level. Platforms vanish under you very very quickly and the section goes on forever.

The odd one of these here and there is fine, but pretty much every screen in the game is filled with things that just want to fuck you over. I think it's a mistake making the game this difficult, it's benefitting very few yet will potentially put off an entire audience of players. I know a few people who wouldn't go near this game after playing the Wii version (which I completed). I dunno, maybe Nintendo worked out they'd sell the same amount of copies if they reduced the severity. If you look at their own games made in Japan for Wii U, Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3, they are much easier games to play. 3D World, like 3D Land has lots of challenging levels, but DKC: TF just feels hard for the sake of it to me.

Would a difficulty selection hurt? Would it an option of always have 3 hearts be an issue, or how about 5? The game just doesn't need to be this difficult, and I think that's almost all its got as a USP. It's fucking nails hard. Nintendo have even made a video about it.

Mlatador

Banned
Hey, game's not for you, and you sound really frustrated at it. Nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure everyone here's dropped a game they couldn't get into before, even if everyone else liked it.

This is good advice. TF is a hard game, so I can see how some people might not get the most fun out of it. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who don't like dark souls, too, for example.

However, there are 2 things that are pretty important for Tropical Freeze, well, maybe even 3: 1) practising roll-jumping is important. 2) never run wihout knowing what's in front of you. The game will punish everyone pretty hard who thinks can "just" run through all of its levels 3) take your time with the game. Because of the difficulty, each level is a challenge. So after a couple of levels and tense (but awesome) gameplay, it's not a bad ideo to take a break, otherwise it could get exhausting if you're not too experienced as a player.

Shrug. It didn't feel nice, I guess that is basically all that needs to be said. Giving specific examples is usually pretty pointless anyway because the person asking for them is ready to argue against each of them and say they're not legitimate. I mean, get ready for those to show up as a response to what the guy posted above.

Personally I'm pretty ambivalent toward the game.

Linkhero1

Still in world 4. My favorite world so far. It's a masterpiece. The music is phenomenal and Retro has done something that I didn't think anyone would be able to do. They were able to make water levels that I actually love. I never enjoy the water portion in video games, but this sure is something. At first I hated them due to the controls but after playing through them over and over again to collect puzzle pieces, it just clicked with me. I don't think the game is as hard as some are making it out to be. I think it's that the controls take a bit of time to get used to. I think finding the puzzle pieces without the help of Squawk has been the hardest thing for me so far.

This is true. I don't think Dark Souls is a hard game, but I can understand why other people would think it was very, very tough.

Gsnap

Shrug. It didn't feel nice, I guess that is basically all that needs to be said. Giving specific examples is usually pretty pointless anyway because the person asking for them is ready to argue against each of them and say they're not legitimate. I mean, get ready for those to show up as a response to what the guy posted above.

Personally I'm pretty ambivalent toward the game.

Not gonna defend that level too much. It's kinda boring. Not one of the best levels in the game. But the point is even if your point was legitimate (and yes, I would argue that it isn't), it's one isolated incident in an entire game. Every game has some stuff like that in it.

And some of the guys above points aren't very good, so yeah, I expect them to be argued against very well by some posters. Might give it a shot myself.

chadboban

Hey I just noticed something while I was taking screenshots. Jump in the air then press the home button. Now before you press it again to go back to the game, keep your eye on DK's fur. Start the game and you see that the game remains still for a second, then you'll see that his fur seems to bounce just before the game begins again, almost as if the fur physics have to kick in before the game starts. Is it just my Wii U or does anyone else see this happen?

Hey I just noticed something while I was taking screenshots. Jump in the air then press the home button. Now before you press it again to go back to the game, keep your eye on DK's fur. Start the game and you see that the game remains still for a second, then you'll see that his fur seems to bounce just before the game begins again, almost as if the fur physics have to kick in before the game starts. Is it just my Wii U or does anyone else see this happen?

I noticed this once when I viewed the figurine of DK, it looks like they quickly simulate it falling to a neutral position before freezing it.

Mlatador

Banned
The odd one of these here and there is fine, but pretty much every screen in the game is filled with things that just want to fuck you over. I think it's a mistake making the game this difficult, it's benefitting very few yet will potentially put off an entire audience of players. I know a few people who wouldn't go near this game after playing the Wii version (which I completed). I dunno, maybe Nintendo worked out they'd sell the same amount of copies if they reduced the severity. If you look at their own games made in Japan for Wii U, Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3, they are much easier games to play. 3D World, like 3D Land has lots of challenging levels, but DKC: TF just feels hard for the sake of it to me.

Would a difficulty selection hurt? Would it an option of always have 3 hearts be an issue, or how about 5? The game just doesn't need to be this difficult, and I think that's almost all its got as a USP. It's fucking nails hard. Nintendo have even made a video about it.

But being hard and challenging is part of the games identity. Even the first 3 Donkey Kong Country games on SNES were pretty hard. That's Donkey Kong Country. Playing it feels different compared to other 2D Platformers, and on a system like the Wii U with many great platformers (It really is the best console for platformers right now), it absolutely makes sense to have 2D Platformers that are different from each other.

You are also complaining about hearts. In the shop you have many items that can help you, for exmaple a ballon that lifts you up if you fall into a pit, a 3rd heart (just like you're asking for) as well as the golden banana juice, which basically makes you invincible for a certain time. Needless to say you can even combine all those items.

I honestly don't remember the Super Nintendo DKC's being this challenging, but then I was a teenager back then with far better reflexes than I have now :)

I honestly don't remember the Super Nintendo DKC's being this challenging, but then I was a teenager back then with far better reflexes than I have now :)
I always found them harder personally. You got 2 hits instead of 4, the close camera lets hazards sneak up on you, and you can't buy items like Green Balloons or Banana Juice.

MrBadger

You know what level stands out to me? I guess I'll spoiler for people who haven't seen it yet.
Beehive Brawl.

I've only played it all the way through once, but I'm eager to get back to it. As a level, I think it's great. Challenging and fun and full of great ideas.
The beehives being little houses covered in grass that hang from the walls and ceilings by honey. Honey combs making platforms down honey waterfalls. The big bees carrying you around. And it has a great sense of progression. Starting in a little bee village, then making your way into the hive where the bees work, and then coming back out and being flung around by swinging beehives, which have a really fun, playground-ish sense of motion to them. And I think it's one of the most visually impressive levels in the game. The warm oranges and golds are a nice change of pace to the bright greens and purples of most of Juicy Jungle. And it has an extra touch of nostalgic impressions to it. Reminds me of Banjo Kazooie and other old Rare games. Something about bees and beehives does that to me. But maybe that's just me.

Anyway. Love that level.

These were my exact sentiments when I found that level. Also, now that you mention it,
bees and bee related things are very "classic Rare". That level definitely felt familiar, in a good way. A remix of the hive music in DKC2 would have been nice, but I've noticed that with the exception of Aquatic Ambience, Wise has been using the tracks he does remix for pretty different scenarios than their original versions.

- Being unable to duck under the swinging monkey boss (World 3) to evade the hammer. Yet, in other levels a duck under something of similar height doesn't hit you. When they are in ghost form or whatever it was, again you can't duck or even roll to escape. There are some weird inconsistencies with things like that.

You're supposed to avoid them altogether by running to the opposite side of the stage before they can hit you. I think it's supposed to be a "boss twist" on the ducking strategies you've been seeing so far.

Definitely agree that this boss was unevenly difficult (especially compared to W-4 and W-5).

- Playing the underwater levels and being pushed towards the retracting teeth the instant they appear on screen and you immediately lose a heart. You can't avoid it because you don't know it's there.

I'd love to be able to comment on this, but I don't have a good enough memory of these levels.

- Underwater, some areas look like you can ride along them - like an edge or rock - but you get pushed out into an enemies path. But visually it looks like you should be able to get by.

Curious: how are you controlling DK's swimming? I found out I was "doing it wrong" about halfway through W-4 and had a much easier time after that.

- Mine cart sections where you just clip a crate made of wood and it takes a heart off

It's called: don't hit things, don't take damage. I was a little annoyed by the degree of timing required in the raft section of the sawmill level, but otherwise I thought this game was very fair (and even easier than DKCR) with its minecart segments.

- The time window on the windmill (maybe?) level where you're being pushed along at a very high rate, yet everything is falling apart under you with zero room for error, and this is a farily early level. Platforms vanish under you very very quickly and the section goes on forever.

I agree that some of these levels drag on too long for the level of intensity they're throwing at you. It's much more punishing than DKCR in this regard. But... I also think the game's pretty good about dishing out checkpoints.

For the record, so far I think the original DKC is the hardest game I've tackled in the series (haven't tried DKC3 yet).

Top Bottom