• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Through world 4, I think this game's brilliant except for a couple of things:

The boss battles again. I really don't find it enjoyable to play for 8 minutes, then die and have to play all 8 minutes again to be able to learn the pattern at that point, but maybe that's just me. I guess I just find it annoying how long it takes to be able to land a hit more than anything. You just have to wait and wait before they're even vulnerable.

I've said this before, but there are ways of moving each boss along/getting extra (or stronger) hits in the first two phases. Take advantage of those.

Can't imagine hard mode would be very different for that level really. If you screw up and take damage it likely means you also fell to your death! I've made some surprising recoveries on the later part with the spinning wheels though.
It was drastically different. Playing as Dixie makes everything amazingly easy, it was one of the easier levels for me in hard mode. Much easier than, say, Seastack Attack.

Fuck those baboons.

I just spent at least an hour and over 30 lives on those guys on hard mode.

Fuck, that was so hard there was hardly a sense of accomplishment when I finally did it.

Sickbean

Fuck those baboons.

I just spent at least an hour and over 30 lives on those guys on hard mode.

Fuck, that was so hard there was hardly a sense of accomplishment when I finally did it.

Yeah, it's posts like yours that are convincing me not to bother with hard mode. Too stressful. Will play something more relaxing, like Dark Souls 2.

Fantastic game, easily my favourite 2D platformer ever. 60+ hours and I still didn't finish the hard mode.

By the way, I did a bit of a research and guess what: Retro already made as many levels in two games as Rare in the original trilogy. Literally, the same number of levels (bosses included).

dkcsagalevels_zps1460b33a.png

Coincidence?

There are some mistakes here.

DKC2 has 7 bosses, not 8. Remember that the world 6 didn't have a boss.

DKCR has 52 normal levels, not 53. Also, it has 6 minecart levels and 6 rocket barrel levels.

DKCTF has 44 normal levels, not 45, and 4 minecart levels instead of 3.

Yeah, it's posts like yours that are convincing me not to bother with hard mode. Too stressful. Will play something more relaxing, like Dark Souls 2.

It's the first level on hard mode that I thought was just not fun, including the K levels in the first 3 worlds. You should go for it, just brace yourself for the boss fights.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Yeah. Although you have note that because many elements from DKCR carry over you are already familiar with the core gameplay if you have played DKCR previously. Someone who didn't play DKCR before TF might have a different opinion if they played the games in the "wrong order".

Fair point. It would be nice if we got some input from people who play DKCR after they're finished with this. It's possible I'm talking out of my ass since I haven't played DKCR since I first completed it, but I think I remember some of the K levels being more difficult than Tropical Freeze's at least.

Considering I gave up in the lava world of Returns and had to come back to it a while later and still haven't finished the golden temple, yet I beat the main worlds of TF the day after I got it, I'd agree. Maybe all these K levels that everyone's dying a lot on that I haven't unlocked yet are harder than Returns stuff though.

I think a key factor in Returns being harder is the fact there are more mine cart and rocket barrel levels (I think), and they're much more unforgiving since you can only take a single hit. Plus they're more about precise jumps.

Personally I didn't find the K levels in this to be especially harder than the ones in DKCR. But it's been three years. I honestly have trouble remembering a lot of the levels off the top of my head. I do remember 4-K or 5-K being a pain though. Good point on the mine cart and rocket barrel levels.

Gsnap

I've only played TF and not Returns. And I found TF to be difficult, but fair. However, I'm not sure if I want to bother playing Returns in order to see how difficult it is in comparison. I don't think I've ever enjoyed playing an earlier game in a series after playing the newer one. Unless they're drastically different. They seem similar enough that it would be DK burn out. And Returns does look less refined than this game.

Timeaisis

4-B . Retro you weirdos

Least favorite level in the whole game, by far. No checkpoints, frustrating
key bullshit
and one
really poorly placed puzzle piece in the beginning of the level that you have to look up to know about.

However, 4-A, Rockin' Relics is probably my favorite level in the whole game, so that makes up for it!

Right, Stronghold Showdown. I forgot that.

DKCR has 52 normal levels, not 53. Also, it has 6 minecart levels and 6 rocket barrel levels.

This is embarrasing. Somehow I missed two rocket levels, one on the world 4 (counted it as minecart) and other on world 7. Thanks, I'll correct the table.

dkcsagalevels_zps83c4bd26.png

Still 135/135. Nice match.

I guess you are talking about
7-2, right? That level has minecart and rocket sections. It's difficult to put it in a category, but I opted for "normal" because it has less of minecart and more of regular platformer.

It depends on how you look at them... It's arguable whether you want to consider Liftoff Launch a level or not. Also, it's funny how you don't include it as a level but you include it as a rocketbarrel level? Because the rocketbarrel levels in DKCR are:

1) Peaceful Pier
2) Mole Patrol
3) Crowded Cavern
4) Gear Getaway
5) Hot Rocket

*Liftoff Launch
*Tiki Tong Terror

As far as minecarts go, you could argue that the Cave Boss was a minecart level. My point is these things aren't exactly black and white... Look at
Rocket Rails... It's a minecart level, a rocketbarrel level, a temple level and more all wrapped up into one.

key bullshit
and one
really poorly placed puzzle piece in the beginning of the level that you have to look up to know about.

However, 4-A, Rockin' Relics is probably my favorite level in the whole game, so that makes up for it!

Regarding your spoiler, I thought that one was incredibly obvious, even if it isn't simple to achieve.

Linkhero1

I don't think I can leave World 4. It's just too good. I replayed each level a couple of times already but I want more.

4K was probably the easiest K level yet. I cannot wait for 5K and 6K. From what I hear they will be a blast.

key bullshit
and one

I actually liked 4-B :(

Thanks for the puzzle piece info. I couldn't find it and didn't want to ask or use Squawks :p

I've only played TF and not Returns. And I found TF to be difficult, but fair. However, I'm not sure if I want to bother playing Returns in order to see how difficult it is in comparison. I don't think I've ever enjoyed playing an earlier game in a series after playing the newer one. Unless they're drastically different. They seem similar enough that it would be DK burn out. And Returns does look less refined than this game.

Returns is every bit as well designed as TF, perhaps even better. They each have their pluses and minuses.

Timeaisis

I actually liked 4-B :(

Thanks for the puzzle piece info. I couldn't find it and didn't want to ask or use Squawks :p

I thought it was cool the first time I played it. But going back to finish the puzzle pieces has just been a pain. I had to replay it like 5 times to eventually get the puzzle piece from the beginnging of the level.

Gsnap

Returns is every bit as well designed as TF, perhaps even better. They each have their pluses and minuses.

Well it doesn't look it from what I've seen. But you've played it and I haven't.

Point is, I probably wouldn't like it as much. That's how things usually go for me.

Linkhero1

I thought it was cool the first time I played it. But going back to finish the puzzle pieces has just been a pain. I had to replay it like 5 times to eventually get the puzzle piece from the beginnging of the level.

Makes sense. I only played through it twice. I will have to again today, but I thought it was much quicker once I didn't have to worry about collecting the Kong letters :p

Lunar15

Well it doesn't look it from what I've seen. But you've played it and I haven't.

Point is, I probably wouldn't like it as much. That's how things usually go for me.

I think I actually like DKCR a little more, but the two games actually have few overlapping ideas.

Astral Dog

I am on world 4 now and i can say that there has been some parts where i died a lot, but in general i find the game to be easier than returns and the original trilogy, i would have liked the bosses to be a bit easier, they are good and very dynamic, but they take too long to beat and can be very frustrating, would like if instead of nine hits, it wuld be like six or seven.

oracrest

You wouldn't have an estimate of how many coins you used in all do you? I think I would have had plenty but I found out you could stack partner barrels when playing levels like halfway through lol. I'm glad I found that out though cause I really suck at this game! lol

hmmm, just a guess, I would say around 600-700 coins maybe?

I remember getting into the 2 and 3 hundreds a few different times and buying a lot of coins. I got TONS of them when trying to beat Bopopolis.

Sickbean

It's the first level on hard mode that I thought was just not fun, including the K levels in the first 3 worlds. You should go for it, just brace yourself for the boss fights.

I'll maybe give it a go when Dark Souls 2 starts becoming easy and I need something to bring me down a peg or two.

Linkhero1

Way too many gimmick stages in Returns. Wasn't a fan. They managed to strike a perfect balance in Tropical Freeze. I never had any trouble with the aquatic stages, whereas I remember rageing at all of the rocket/minecart stages in Returns...

Likewise. I think the main issue I had with Returns was the motion controls which was the reason I died most of the time. I could never get used to them.

Now I would really like to download DKC 1-3 for Wii U VC and replay them.

:(
Me too lol.

Anyway, does anyone else think the 3rd world boss seems really out of place? I mean the rest of the bosses (except arguably the 4th, but still) seem to fit the "cold weather animals" theme pretty well... But then you get the world three boss. Which is a ninja Viking for some reason? Just seems weird to me.

World 4, please stop with the underwater stages.
So terrible.

I don't find them terrible, but I do agree that a whole world of them was not very well-designed.

Even though I think the controls are well-done, the water levels should've been few and far between. It's pretty much a truism for platformers that water levels, good as they might be, just aren't as much fun as the tightly honed mechanics of standard platforming.

I found my interest in the game at a high after World 3 and then I just didn't feel like playing more water levels after I made it halfway through World 4. It just doesn't have the same rush and fun of running through levels as the big ape.

I recently passed World 4, though, and my interest has picked up again. I played through the first half of World 5 in a day, while it took a week and a half to get through the second half of World 4.

Gsnap

Me too lol.

Anyway, does anyone else think the 3rd world boss seems really out of place? I mean the rest of the bosses (except arguably the 4th, but still) seem to fit the "cold weather animals" theme pretty well... But then you get the world three boss. Which is a ninja Viking for some reason? Just seems weird to me.

I just figured he sided with the Snowmads so that he could have more bananas. Like the Snowmads took over that island and he was one of the cowardly animals that didn't fight back but decided to work for them.

I don't find them terrible, but I do agree that a whole world of them was not very well-designed.

Even though I think the controls are well-done, the water levels should've been few and far between. It's pretty much a truism for platformers that water levels, good as they might be, just aren't as much fun as the tightly honed mechanics of standard platforming.

I think they should have had more levels that evenly distributed water and land.

-TK-

This is a hard game, no doubt - I can totally see why some people don't like it/get frustrated by it.

Yeah, but thankfully there are more than enough games for gamers who don't want or need challence. No need to ruin every game just because of them.

I think they should have had more levels that evenly distributed water and land.

That'd be good. Or just taking the water levels and spreading them out through the different islands. I just felt it was a slog going through all of them at a time. They're not bad, but it has the feeling of "Take your medicine, so you can get back to the good stuff."

I just figured he sided with the Snowmads so that he could have more bananas. Like the Snowmads took over that island and he was one of the cowardly animals that didn't fight back but decided to work for them.
Ah good call. So he's like an alternate Donkey Kong that doesn't just start punching things whenever people take over his island. That makes things much more interesting.

That's fine, some people are like that. For me it's always a 50/50 shot whether a previous game in the series is more enjoyable even if I've played it's sequel first.

Yeah, but thankfully there are more than enough games for gamers who don't want or need challence. No need to ruin every game just because of them.

So much this. It's so rare for an uncompromisingly challenging game comes along (and TF isn't even one of them), yet people still whine about them when those of us who love a challenge are forced to put up with such a high percentage of games that offer very little in terms of challenge.

When looking over the Dioramas earlier I noticed a great DKCR reference in the one for Frozen DK Island,
Mugly frozen under the ice

After seeing this I was compelled to revisit DKCR which is still damn good, slightly tougher as well yet I don't recall as much hubub about the difficulty (outside carts and rockets of course) back when this one released.
Visually Returns still looks great easily being in the top tier of Wii game visuals, I also noticed that if DK performs a groundpound when teetering on the edge of a cliff he pounds the side of the cliff instead, I love these little touches.
Interesting for me to note was that Returns typically had shorter stages and some worlds like the forest and volcano tended to stick to some straight up precise platforming to create challenge and being engaging in their relative simplicity. That said I'm still much more a fan of Frozen DK Island as far as final worlds go, Volcano is tougher but it always seem to lack that extra something, possibly because it came after the factory.
It also highlights just how crazy Tropical Freeze can get with its levels at times, TF tends to bring more gimmicks into each individual stage as well as ramping up the synergy of environment related obstacles, turns out less stages with more focus on each one wasn't a step down after all.

Alas I think I've at last reached the end of my road with Tropical Freeze, I've wrung like 30 hours out of this game, 30 hours that the rest of this year still has to contend with, I'm pretty pumped for numerous releases coming this year (mostly sequels themselves it would seem) but usurping my love for the Freeze will be a tall order indeed.

That'd be good. Or just taking the water levels and spreading them out through the different islands. I just felt it was a slog going through all of them at a time. They're not bad, but it has the feeling of "Take your medicine, so you can get back to the good stuff."

I think it would have made the most sense to have the water areas be bridges between the main worlds. That way they'd slowly ramp up in intensity in parallel with the other worlds as you proceed through the game.

Top Bottom