• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

daydream

Banned
When you do the roll jump and collect the G you don't want to slow your momentum and try to land on the spinning platforms. What you need to do it keep flying the the right, over the spikes, and land in the water.

Right, that makes more sense. Thanks! I was very close to thinking that was a slip-up by Retro. A foolish fool I was.

Whoah I have never tried this
and I already love these levels
. Going to check this out asap, thanks.
Yeah! At least I think it's roll. I use B for up and Y for down, so whatever the analog for other control schemes is. I actually don't like using it that much normally because I'm adjusted to the normal fall rate, but it's great when you just grabbed a KONG letter or puzzle piece and need to quickly get out of the way of an obstacle.

EDIT: Now I'm half convinced I might be imagining it. Let me know if anyone else gets the same impression.

jnWake

One thing I always meant to say here: I love that Retro makes the GamePad screen blank if you're not using Off-TV play. The battery lasts so much longer this way! Switching to Off-TV is very easy if you need it too, so we don't really lose anything.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah! At least I think it's roll. I use B for up and Y for down, so whatever the analog for other control schemes is. I actually don't like using it that much normally because I'm adjusted to the normal fall rate, but it's great when you just grabbed a KONG letter or puzzle piece and need to quickly get out of the way of an obstacle.

EDIT: Now I'm half convinced I might be imagining it. Let me know if anyone else gets the same impression.

Yeah, I think you may be imagining it. I tried what you said in your other post, but no button makes me descend any quicker.

Some of the more laid-back tracks (Alpine Incline, Amiss Abyss etc...) make for great studying music lol

Not video game related, but if you want some really good study music check these songs out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql2M7TnrT3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFZnAO7_Mzw

Oh man, I don't know why, but I couldn't help but attempt to get gold on Zip Line Shrine. I never actually managed it, but something about that level was just too fun to speedrun. ...Might go back and give it a few more attempts later.

Basically IGN is full of crap and not to be taken seriously at all

I know, I wasn't REALLY lamenting that it wouldn't win GOTY there, as it probably won't win many at all, if any, due to it's very nature of being a cartoony 2D platformer. I just think it's hilarious that they gave their game of the month to FUCKING DLC.

phanphare

Banned
had a damn marathon yesterday haha. finally beat 2-K. plowed through the rest of world 5 starting with 5-2, beat the boss in about 3 tries, and am now on 6-8. I just couldn't stop playing. this game just keeps on giving. I'm not usually huge on 100%'ing games but this one is getting the royal treatment.

I know, I wasn't REALLY lamenting that it wouldn't win GOTY there, as it probably won't win many at all, if any, due to it's very nature of being a cartoony 2D platformer. I just think it's hilarious that they gave their game of the month to FUCKING DLC.

IGN gave game of the month to Bravely Default, no? I think Gamespot was the one to award the Left Behind DLC as game of the month

maxcriden

What's wrong with 6-4? I collected everything without any trouble, TBH I think the most difficult world was 4, that one had a couple of puzzle pieces and a secret exit that almost drove me crazy...

For some of us

the rocket barrel levels are quite difficult, and I found that one to be easily the most difficult of its kind in the main levels. I agree World 4 is plenty tricky in places, though!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Heh, wait till 6-4.... ;)

I actually just did 6-4 and wasnt that bad! Managed to collect all the KONG letters but not the pieces...I suppose I missed some banana trails early on

on a whole, I found the rocket barrel levels in TF way easier than the ones in DKCR. They're at least a tiny bit more forgiving

the ending however gave me trouble, with all these giant snowball tricky jumps

Currygan

Lol

have you played DKCR Dax? Now that's some nasty arse rocket barrel levels, these are babby in comparison

maxcriden

I actually just did 6-4 and wasnt that bad! Managed to collect all the KONG letters but not the pieces...I suppose I missed some banana trails early on

on a whole, I found the rocket barrel levels in TF way easier than the ones in DKCR. They're at least a tiny bit more forgiving

the ending however gave me trouble, with all these giant snowball tricky jumps

Funnily enough I thought the snowball part wasn't too bad. I agree the TF rocket barrels are much more forgiving since you can get a second hit. Gear Getaway and Hot Rocket were two of the hardest levels in DKCR for me. Kudos on making it through 6-4 with ease!

HHHHHHHOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW

Are you still stuck on it? Did you try crash guards? :(

Currygan

Funnily enough I thought the snowball part wasn't too bad. I agree the TF rocket barrels are much more forgiving since you can get a second hit. Gear Getaway and Hot Rocket were two of the hardest levels in DKCR for me. Kudos on making it through 6-4 with ease!

yeah I generally think the levels' layout is much more intuitive than in DKCR's and obviously the second heart helps a great deal. Hot Rocket was BAAAD

I had missed the thread, I'm glad I played it on the 3DS because I couldnt effing roll with the wiimote...ughh that was so bad

maxcriden

Currygan
couldnt effing roll
(Today, 11:39 AM)

image.php

I always use the crash guards before I got to the difficult spot.

Ah man. Maybe try watching a YT vid?

Marjar

Banned
I tried out 1-K once and I think I'm good without dealing with the rest. :p

That's the difficulty level where games just stop being fun and start being a chore for me. I can't even imagine playing on hard mode.

I tried out 1-K once and I think I'm good without dealing with the rest. :p

That's the difficulty level where games just stop being fun and start being a chore for me. I can't even imagine playing on hard mode.

I had similar thoughts at first. Came back to the K levels after making it to world 6 and beat them all up to this point. It's very satisfying mastering the level bit by bit until it doesn't even phase you. I just became more skilled as I played more of the game and that has helped a lot.

I'm at 198% right now, just need to defeat the final boss on hard to get the 200%.

The first two parts of the battle are kinda easy, but in the third one he is goddamn fast :/

Reclaimer

Loving this game. The weight of DK and the feel of the platforming, the level design, the art, the music. It's a great experience.

But...

I'm just not having fun in the mine cart levels. Some of the swimming levels are similarly unfun for me. It's not that either are too difficult, I'm getting past them just fine. Maybe it's the trial and error memorization aspects of the mine cart levels? Who knows. But it's a pretty big disappointment compared to the straight platforming runs.

Now that I finally figured out how to return to past islands (yeah, I'm a dum dum), I've decided to halt any level progression and just 100% the first 2 islands before continuing the 3rd. This should be fun. <3

What the--... Member status already??

Lijik

Took a break from this for a while (not really intentional, I just havent played a whole lot of games lately) but I'm finally going through world 6 right now. The time attack replays for 6-6 are mindblowing!

What's wrong with 6-4? I collected everything without any trouble, TBH I think the most difficult world was 4, that one had a couple of puzzle pieces and a secret exit that almost drove me crazy...

The end section before you land in the snowball drove me up a wall, specifically one of the tight diagonal cavern corridors you have to get through. No matter what I'd always wind up hitting stuff and dying.
Granted the last time I went through it before clearing the level I wound up doing it perfectly and unscathed so that was really rad.

Jebus Chrismo, Bopopolis was amazing. I died around 20 times, but I finally managed to beat it. I love the precision based gameplay there. Pure platforming goodness.

Currygan

man, world 6 so far decimated my lives. I'm at 6-A now and lost about 78 lives just going from 6-5 to 6-8. BRUTAL

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Today I had the surprise that my girlfriend (who's a very casual gamer - although she likes Pikmin 3 a lot, but she didn't like SM3DW that much) to really like this game. Oh, she didn't like NSMBU either and she played Rayman only as Murfy. But she really enjoys this game, playing as Dixie.

Beat this game the other day and absolutely loved it. The world 5 boss was amazing and I think I might actually go for the KONG letters for the first time in a DK game. One question though,
how is world 7 unlocked?

I'm on 6-4 right now and it's
another fucking rocket level. They need to just leave this shit out next time around.

jnWake

6-6 is a fucking masterpiece.

Indeed. Just played through it and wow.

On another note, getting a shiny gold in Twilight Terror is a pain in the ass. You only need to do one thing to get it but that thing is right at the end of the level. God damn.

If someone were to tell me there is a level better than 6-6 later in the game, I wouldn't believe you.

And it seems like I'm not alone in that assessment.

Top Bottom