• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Owzers

I'm on world 2 and am fairly bad at this game, but playing offscreen on the gamepad, does anyone have problems getting the roll to register promptly? Sometimes i press it and it doesn't roll, is it heavily momentum based too for when you are allowed to roll?

I think it would have made the most sense to have the water areas be bridges between the main worlds. That way they'd slowly ramp up in intensity in parallel with the other worlds as you proceed through the game.

That is actually a really cool idea considering the island hopping in this game. As it is I loved Sea Breeze Cove. But yeah that is a missed opportunity!

I'm on world 2 and am fairly bad at this game, but playing offscreen on the gamepad, does anyone have problems getting the roll to register promptly? Sometimes i press it and it doesn't roll, is it heavily momentum based too for when you are allowed to roll?
You have to make sure you are pointing in the right direction before you hit the button. That was my problem at least. You can't quickly change directions and roll at the same time. Do it early and the button won't register.

maxcriden

You shouldn't be having any trouble rolling, that's really unusual. If it helps I used the d-pad and X to roll. Not sure if analog/triggers registers differently. I find I have much better control (esp. for the land stages) this way.

LGom09

If anyone wants to compare time trials, feel free to send me a friend request. NNID is ghostNote. Already added some people from the list in the OP.

daripad

Dat last boss took me less tries than the previous 3 bosses lol

I love the game, I'm unlocking the alternative paths, though I can't find World 4 secret exits? Anyone could throw me a hint please?

javac

I'm on the last boss. I'll do it tomorrow. I've been taking my time even though I got the game day one. I only play on Fridays and Saturdays since I'm busy the whole week otherwise I would have finished by now. Looking forward to it.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, honestly, who beat 5-k in less than 20 tries only playing as Donkey Kong? That level was ridiculously hard -- and I FUCKING loved it!

I picked this up tonight and I've gotten to the second boss. Pretty good so far except I don't understand how to unlock the secret levels. Do you have to beat the whole game before getting them? I've read you just need to get all the KONG letters in each worlds levels to unlock the secret level. I got all the KONG medals in the first world, but no secret level unlocked
edit- never mind I see what i did.

Neiteio

Took more screens tonight and added them to the album. It's a Flickr album consisting of screens taken by myself and other members on GAF. Be sure to check out both pages. The bulk of the new screens I took tonight are from 5-3 Fruity Factory, 5-B Jammin' Jams, 6-4 Blurry Flurry and 6-7 Frozen Frenzy. (In the case of Frozen Frenzy, screens #3 through #6 were taken by me.)

I love Jammin' Jams so much. Definitely one of my favorite levels. :)

I think it would have made the most sense to have the water areas be bridges between the main worlds. That way they'd slowly ramp up in intensity in parallel with the other worlds as you proceed through the game.

Amazing idea, so much better than all at once, and it would have been ideal for new players to have some water levels be easy after the first world and slowly get harder throughout the game.
Plus it would look amazing if at the start of each water level you could see the island you just conquered in the background above sea, and at the end of the level you saw the new island.
All these gaf ideas plus the concept art in the game is making me wish for a final game by retro but sadly i think that's it for dkcr.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
World 4, please stop with the underwater stages.
So terrible.

I agree. It's the only world I disliked. And I'm normally pretty tolerant of water stages in platformers. When everyone else whined about Layrinth Zone in Sonic I was enjoying the hell out of the change of pace. But in this case I just don't think the water based stages are fun to play at all. I don't think it helped that they were all one after the other either. One water stage every now and then wouldn't have felt too bad, but I think having an entire world based around water stages was a real pain.

One water stage every now and then wouldn't have felt too bad, but I think having an entire world based around water stages was a real pain.

I'm even more surprised that they did this after people had a problem with returns putting all the minecart and barrel stages together in one world.
They really should have spread the swimming ones out aswell.
I think retro got the wrong idea that people hated the minecart/barrel stages, but infact people just didn't want them all together. In tropical freeze they cut down on minecart stages and i think they same thing will now happen in regards to swimming if they ever do make a third game. Variation is great, just don't put different stages all together.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I picked this up tonight and I've gotten to the second boss. Pretty good so far except I don't understand how to unlock the secret levels. Do you have to beat the whole game before getting them? I've read you just need to get all the KONG letters in each worlds levels to unlock the secret level. I got all the KONG medals in the first world, but no secret level unlocked
edit- never mind I see what i did.

Some levels have a secret exit you can find that will lead you to the secret levels (there's two per world). Look at the map to get hints as to which levels have the secret exits.

The KONG letters only unlock the K/Temple levels.

69wpm

I'm on the last boss. I'll do it tomorrow. I've been taking my time even though I got the game day one. I only play on Fridays and Saturdays since I'm busy the whole week otherwise I would have finished by now. Looking forward to it.

Same here. Just got to the boss in level 4 and had to rage quit after it got me with one of those spiky fishes before I could give him the finishing blow. Jesus, I hate that boss.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
maaan, boss5 is kicking my ass...!!! also because I've won the entire world 5 in a unique row in the ladt 30 minutes...!!!! really loving the game so far!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Okay, honestly, who beat 5-k in less than 20 tries only playing as Donkey Kong? That level was ridiculously hard -- and I FUCKING loved it!

lol not there yet but every K levels took me an average of 40 lives, so it doesn't surprise me

Linkyn

Way too many gimmick stages in Returns. Wasn't a fan. They managed to strike a perfect balance in Tropical Freeze. I never had any trouble with the aquatic stages, whereas I remember rageing at all of the rocket/minecart stages in Returns...

I really like both minecart and rocket barrel stages. I used to hate the rocket ones before I figured out that you can keep the button pressed instead of tapping (man, was that a revelation when first playing through Returns). I feel like multiple hits make them completely acceptable in terms of difficulty in TF, and while they are more about reflexes than anything else, I love the rhythm and setpieces they have to them. I liked the music stages in Rayman Legends for the same reason.

I really like both minecart and rocket barrel stages. I used to hate the rocket ones before I figured out that you can keep the button pressed instead of tapping (man, was that a revelation when first playing through Returns). I feel like multiple hits make them completely acceptable in terms of difficulty in TF, and while they are more about reflexes than anything else, I love the rhythm and setpieces they have to them. I liked the music stages in Rayman Legends for the same reason.

WHAT? This changes everything.

Devil

WHAT? This changes everything.

I'm actually surprised there are people that didn't know that. Don't you test stuff like this? How else would some of the sequences even work properly? Tapping is just for keeping the height.

Now I know why people always raged about the rocket barrel. Some parts where hard, sometimes even frustrating. But never THAT bad.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Speaking of Rocket Barrel levels (World 6 spoilers)
seeing that bat fucker encased in ice made my day.

It made me sad! Remember in Returns all of the animals were under Tiki mind control.
Bat Bro =( It's funny, for some reason seeing the mess that the Snowmads had made of DK Island really hit a note with me somehow. I think it was the music. I was like borderline depressed while playing that world.

Bog

Junior Ace
So the final boss. I'm guessing he only takes actual damage when you land on his back. Since I've fought him fucking 50 times now, I've come to the following conclusions: After 3 hits, he'll go into phase 2 and start shooting the ice cannon. After 5 or 6, he'll do the move with the platforms and occasionally shoot the ice dragons. Plus his charge becomes impossible to land on. At one point when I figured I almost had him, he shot an ice dragon that filled the screen. When the hell does it end?

Edit: Forget it. Got him. 9 hits, apparently.

MrBadger

It made me sad! Remember in Returns all of the animals were under Tiki mind control.
Bat Bro =( It's funny, for some reason seeing the mess that the Snowmads had made of DK Island really hit a note with me somehow. I think it was the music. I was like borderline depressed while playing that world.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I kind of felt that going through
frozen Fear Factory, and seeing none of the machinery functioning because everything was frozen. And then seeing that eyeball with the hands frozen and unmoving.

maxcriden

I'm actually surprised there are people that didn't know that. Don't you test stuff like this? How else would some of the sequences even work properly? Tapping is just for keeping the height.

Now I know why people always raged about the rocket barrel. Some parts where hard, sometimes even frustrating. But never THAT bad.

I guess I'm not 100% sure I understand. You can hold onto the 'a' button, but it keeps making you ascend, right? That's what I think has happened when I just hold the button in the rocket barrel levels. Maybe I'm misremembering, though.

Yeah, I think people who don't like the rocket barrel levels just don't understand the controls. I just learned that you can also hit the roll button to force it down as well, so you don't have to just wait to fall.

Nicktendo86

This game, THIS GAME. Only on world 2 but already so much better than returns. The world has so much character and life, the colour and image quality is almost hurting my eyes it is so good.

And the music. My god the music.

Only thing that is disappointing so far is the loading between levels, very jittery and can take a while.

Conezays

I am not sure where it says it on the game file... or if it does... but if you go to each of the K worlds and have DK sitting on each level, then a relic sign will be illuminated if you have gotten the relic for that K world. Same for the final boss. I believe that you have to have all of the relics to unlock the final world.

I have walked over each K level and the final boss's level. There is no illuminated relic that shows? There is a Puzzle Piece/DK sign for the K levels and DK sign only for the final boss.

I have walked over each K level and the final boss's level. There is no illuminated relic that shows? There is a Puzzle Piece/DK sign for the K levels and DK sign only for the final boss.
And you can attempt the time trials for all of the levels right? So the game definitely registered that you beat them? I'd honestly recommend just beating the final boss again and making sure you sit through all the credits without restarting or anything.

Mr-Joker

Banned
IGN thinks the game is too hard...

Adfs3.jpg

Basically IGN is full of crap and not to be taken seriously at all

Yeah, I think people who don't like the rocket barrel levels just don't understand the controls. I just learned that you can also hit the roll button to force it down as well, so you don't have to just wait to fall.

Whoah I have never tried this
and I already love these levels
. Going to check this out asap, thanks.

Copy arrived today. Because I never experienced Returns in solo and was always Diddy when playing, I've never been Dankey himself before, so I'm trying to get used to his "weight" at the moment, as well as the Pro's controls. Loving how the controls feel and Donkey's... fur. That glorious, glorious fur.

Conezays

And you can attempt the time trials for all of the levels right? So the game definitely registered that you beat them? I'd honestly recommend just beating the final boss again and making sure you sit through all the credits without restarting or anything.

Sigh...this is embarrassing. 3-K was not finished; my memory was playing tricks on me. Beat the secret world, so that was fun. Apologies for wasting everyone's time :p

maxcriden

We officially got the K-O-N-Gs in all the main levels (not A, B, or K). Yay! Very satisfying. Forest Follies is such a great level. That atmosphere is otherworldly.

K' Dash

Finally finished that 5-K, it was like 50 tries, gotta be honest guys, I thought for a moment that I was not going to make it, glad I was wrong. Then went to the awesome boss, I got every puzzle and all the kong letters up to 6-3, now to 6-4, let see what awaits there :)

Some levels have a secret exit you can find that will lead you to the secret levels (there's two per world). Look at the map to get hints as to which levels have the secret exits.

The KONG letters only unlock the K/Temple levels.

Yeah I had only gone though one secret exit (and wasn't aware at the time that the level it led to was a secret one) and hadn't found the secret exit that led to the silhouetted secret level

Anyways yeah game is fun. Wish I could play some more tonight but I have a paper I need to work on

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to get the G in 5-4 without taking a hit? I can see how to do it with Dixie, but DK only?

You need to roll jump from the previous platform and while your in the air the platforms in front of you (where the G is) will start spinning. That's when you hit jump in midair, to execute the roll jump, and if your timing is literally spot on you'll get the G.

daydream

Banned
You need to roll jump from the previous platform and while your in the air the platforms in front of you (where the G is) will start spinning. That's when you hit jump in midair, to execute the roll jump, and if your timing is literally spot on you'll get the G.

Ah yes, I didn't try it when they were spinning. As you say, the timing probably has to be impeccable. I think you would have to hit the G while it is _on top_ of the spinning platforms (because I couldn't reach it and still get enough height to land on them when it was under the platform), AND get the platforms to stop the very next second so that you don't just fall to your death.

Yep, glad I took the hit. :p

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Ah yes, I didn't try it when they were spinning. As you say, the timing probably has to be impeccable. I think you would have to hit the G while it is _on top_ of the spinning platforms (because I couldn't reach it and still get enough height to land on them when it was under the platform), AND get the platforms to stop the very next second so that you don't just fall to your death.

Yep, glad I took the hit. :p

When you do the roll jump and collect the G you don't want to slow your momentum and try to land on the spinning platforms. What you need to do is keep flying to the right, over the spikes, and land in the water.

Top Bottom